Guide / Tutorial Complete list of all third party tools, spreadsheets, manuals and other data sources

edstarcoordinator.com - AKA The Great Collector - doesn't have a thread yet, so I'm just going to put this here: how do I know if a star is in "in the list"? Is it using RedWizzard's list?

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
edstarcoordinator.com - AKA The Great Collector - doesn't have a thread yet, so I'm just going to put this here: how do I know if a star is in "in the list"? Is it using RedWizzard's list?

A GOOD question. TGC is being discussed in the thread "What is the most efficient way to crowdsource the 3D sytem coordinates for Beta 2 ?". I was away for a week and haven't (completely) read up on it - this pesky thread. So for the definitive answer you can best check there. Afaik when entering a system in EDSC it tells if its in the list. I think the same is true for RW's tool. I think RW's list is still TOR (The one reference) but I think they sync TGC and TOR with each other. Edsc has support for TGC. RW's tool has support for TGC. As in both upload to TGC. I will update in the OP the info for TGC so that commanders know where to go to for questions. NOT that I mind answering yours ;-)

Edit: OP changed.

Last edited:
Thanks for compiling this, OP! Honestly though, as far as trading tools go, I'm not sure they're practical in the long run. I feel that most people, especially newcomers, just won't be bothered to constantly update trade data (or at least not for an extended period of time).

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
A new day. A new desperate attempt to get the OP complete. I will start with the OCR solution by DestroyBoy (reddit forum) aka CashMoney (FD forum) and the two recommendations by CMDRKNac and Transient. The first was on my TODO list, the second is new to me ;-)
Thanks commanders, keep 'm coming.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Thanks for compiling this, OP! Honestly though, as far as trading tools go, I'm not sure they're practical in the long run. I feel that most people, especially newcomers, just won't be bothered to constantly update trade data (or at least not for an extended period of time).

I think they will be practical. Atm all three trading tools: by kfsone, Slopey and Thrudd rely on manual input of data - impractical. As we can't use the iOS web-api legally and the official web-api is considered/planned for after release so the OCR route is the only way to go atm. Seebek and DestroyBoy have OCR solutions. Both work pretty well. Not perfect however and manual checking of the results is needed. zxctypo is working on a OCR solution for numbers (based on machine learning) which will be integrated into EliteOCR. Atm he has achieved >99.99% accuracy for numbers. He's extending it to names as well. Another commander looking into ML/neural networks has achieved 99.9918% accuracy for numbers and letters. Both are trying to improve upon that. zxctypo is atm retraining his ML solution with a bigger data set which takes approx 32 hours. So once those OCR techniques find their way into the complete OCR solutions like Seebek/DestroyBoy and get automatically fed into EDDN,BPC, Trade Dangerous and Thrudd I think we have an automatized solution like we had with marketdump and EMDN in the past - both by Andreas. MD scraped ED and was verboten by the new data access policy. It took a while but it seems we get our prices back!! Of course when prices are OCR-ed successfully work will probably shift to OCR other parts of ED as well ;-)

Edit: If my math is not mistaken, 99,9918% accuracy means that for every 12195 names/numbers entries OCR-ed there will be 1 error. Call me impressed.

Last edited:
I think they will be practical. Atm all three trading tools: by kfsone, Slopey and Thrudd rely on manual input of data - impractical.

What would be great is a simple tool that just simplifies that "write down with pen and paper". Focusing only on the known high value profitable items. Data entry has to be optimized. E.g. I go to the tool, start typing system or station name, it pulls up old information, I tab and I start typing comoditiy name it matches it, I tab again and enter buy/sell price and set if import or export. So it minimizes the page refresh / mouse clicks so I can do it quickly with keyboard. No complete trading data but functional to make your own trading info.

A website that simply replaces pen and paper that isn't "over engineered" for this purpose.

Afaik this doesn't exist yet?

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
What would be great is a simple tool that just simplifies that "write down with pen and paper". Focusing only on the known high value profitable items. Data entry has to be optimized. E.g. I go to the tool, start typing system or station name, it pulls up old information, I tab and I start typing comoditiy name it matches it, I tab again and enter buy/sell price and set if import or export. So it minimizes the page refresh / mouse clicks so I can do it quickly with keyboard. No complete trading data but functional to make your own trading info.

A website that simply replaces pen and paper that isn't "over engineered" for this purpose.

Afaik this doesn't exist yet?

Have used Trade Dangerous in the past. Its a command line tool. Haven't tested the new version with has a GUI for entering prices. As TD is manual based input the prices for all stations are in a .prices file (text file). With TD its possible to open up an editor which contains only the prices for a certain station/platform - on exiting its written back in the .prices file. For speed the .prices file is also stored in a sqlite DB. I think the GUI work similar. Perhaps something worth checking out. That way if you don't like the in your words "over engineered" run command of TD to get the best possible trading routes (work brilliantly) you just end up a with a file with prices with which you can do as you please.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
An other route planner here: http://www.elitedangerouscentral.com/
+ system browser and other tools soon(tm) (must balance time between playing the game and developing)

Thanks for the report and your tool. Both are very much appreciated.

Added to the OP, section "Route planners"

Name: Elite Dangerous Central
Author: CMDRKNac
Description: Route planner
Source available: No
Thread: Route planner @ Elite Dangerous Central
Compatible with Gamma: Yes
Comments: From the author: system browser and other tools soon(tm) (must balance time between playing the game and developing)

Friday 20150424: Tool is in the WIP tool codenamed ED3PTT (see OP).
Done by ED3PTT author biobob who created an OP importer - saved LOTS of time.

Last edited:
Name: galnewsreader
Author: Dweezil Moon
Description: tool to reformat the official Frontiers' Galnet News page to something Text2Speech friendly. Intended for VoiceAttack users but can probably be used by other tools
Source available: yes
Thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67293
Compatible with Gamma: yes
Comments: the Galnet page hasn't been updated in a couple of weeks now, so I don't know how useful this tool will be. My hope is that the news start again on the 16th.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Description: tool to reformat the official Frontiers' Galnet News page to something Text2Speech friendly. Intended for VoiceAttack users but can probably be used by other tools
Source available: yes
Thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67293
Comments: the Galnet page hasn't been updated in a couple of weeks now, so I don't know how useful this tool will be. My hope is that the news start again on the 16th.

Wow. THAT makes life much easier. Thanks for your contribution and your tool. Added a bit of info. Adding it to the OP.

Added to the OP, section "Miscellaneous"

Source available: Yes. Open source license: GPL v3. GitHub repository
Thread: [AUDIO] Galnews feed -> TTS
Comments: 20141210: the Galnet page hasn't been updated in a couple of weeks now, so I don't know how useful this tool will be. My hope is that the news start again on the 16th.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Haven't done as much as I hoped. Got really distracted by some very nice threads.
One thing you must do is checkout this OCR solution AND watch the video.
Very very nice. We are getting some really nice OCR gifts with Xmas commanders!!!!

Added to the OP. Section "OCR - Optical Character Recognition"

Name: Commodity Price Grabber
Author: CashMoney aka DestroyBoy on reddit
Description: A complete OCR solution for retrieving prices of the Commodities Market
Source available: Yes. Open source license: not specified. Github repository.
Thread: My Commodity Price Grabber script is on GitHub
Compatible with Gamma:
Comments: It contains a BPC_Feeder to put values into the BPC. For that you need to have the BPC running as it simulates key presses. You can a demo of the tool inclusive the BPC Feeder in action here. The author has good info about how to set it up, walkthrough etc. BPC Feeder will be integrated into EliteOCR as LasseB. has discontinued his feeder (20141210).

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
This might be a useful tool too, a route planner. I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...e_copilot_v013_now_does_basic_routing_on_top/

The thread title on reddit mentions version 0.13 but a version 0.17 has been posted too on github. I know route planning is in the works, but still.

Name: Elite-Copilot
Author: w0nk0 (reddit forum)
Description: Route planner, with voice so you know which system to select next in the system map.
Source available: Yes. Open source license: not specified. GitHub repository.
Thread: Elite-Copilot its on the reddit forum.
Compatible with Gamma:
Comments: The route planner functionality is in Gamma2. Not sure if this makes this program obsolete. He has created a nice video to demonstrate his tool.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer

Name: CMDR Athanasius' Route Planner
Author: Athan
Description: Web based route planner
Source available: No
Thread: [GENERAL] Route Planner (miggy.org)
Comments: Uses the TGC web-api for up to date coordinates.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer

Name:
Author: Athan
Description: RSS feed for the Elite FD forum, contains posts made by FD.
Source available: N/A
Thread: *UNOFFICIAL* Frontier Forums Developer Posts RSS feed
Comments: Very useful tool to keep track of the posts made by FD. You need of course a RSS reader for your web browser.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Productive day ;-)
Still, atm my TODO list is as long (8+) as in the beginning of week. NOT good.
Commanders, that is it for today. Fingers bleeding....
Gonna watch the latest agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and then bed time.....

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Hey Wolverine, the link to slopey BPC thread is the old one. This is the latest 100 pager one https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53037. In case you wanted to update it.

THanks for your efforts on this thread :)

Your welcome.
Thanks for letting me know. Got also a PM from Captain J H Buzz, he told me the same thing;-) Changed it. Good to know commanders actually read the OP carefully and check things out. I normally/always check all links to see if they work and also did this time but the BPC had so many thread (in the past) in the forum and for some reason I selected the wrong one. My bad.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom