Guide / Tutorial Complete list of all third party tools, spreadsheets, manuals and other data sources

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Another OCR market solution...
OCR for Elite Dangerous By User Bas King Thread HERE

Thanks for the information.
Added it to the "OCR" section on the OP.

Name:
Author: Bas King
Description: OCR solution to get the prices of the commodities market.
Source available: Yes.
Thread: My attempt to write an OCR for Elite Dangerous market screenshots (Yes, it works)
Compatible with Gamma: Yes
Comments:

Friday 20150424: Tool is in the WIP tool codenamed ED3PTT (see OP).
Done by ED3PTT author biobob who created an OP importer - saved LOTS of time.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Added to the OP, section "Manuals and useful information"

Name: DevStalker
Author:
Description: Unofficial RSS feed with FDEV posts in the FD forums.
Website: http://www.miggy.org/games/elite-dangerous/devtracker/ed-dev-posts.rss
Source available: N/A
Thread: N/A
Comments: Its a RSS feed. Without a suitable RSS reader (like for example Bamboo for FireFox) you just a webpage with XML in it. Very useful if you want to keep track of what is being post by FD.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
AMAZING. Friday afternoon the thread had 2,857 views - Thread started the 28th of October. Friday evening the moderators where kind enough to make it a sticky thread. Now approx 48 hours later the thread has received 5,104 views!! I guess the thread DID indeed get snowed under (all the time) in the forums ;-)

Last edited:
Is there any information from FDev anywhere on what is or isn't legally permissible for 3rd party tools as far as using information from ED? I don't mean data that compromises the servers, or even crowd-sourced data - I just mean basic information like the names of the commodities and/or ship outfitting equipment. Also, I'm wondering about the legality of associating a tool with ED in some fashion (say, naming it "Blankety Blank, for use with Elite Dangerous").

I'm contemplating writing an iPad app for my own use, to help me more easily and quickly assemble and manage various types of ED information I otherwise end up writing down on paper, and am wondering if it might be something I could also release for free in the iOS App Store if it proves to be useful. (But there would be no point in doing so unless I can name it in such a way as to indicate what game it is designed to be used with.)

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Is there any information from FDev anywhere on what is or isn't legally permissible for 3rd party tools as far as using information from ED? I don't mean data that compromises the servers, or even crowd-sourced data - I just mean basic information like the names of the commodities and/or ship outfitting equipment. Also, I'm wondering about the legality of associating a tool with ED in some fashion (say, naming it "Blankety Blank, for use with Elite Dangerous").

I'm contemplating writing an iPad app for my own use, to help me more easily and quickly assemble and manage various types of ED information I otherwise end up writing down on paper, and am wondering if it might be something I could also release for free in the iOS App Store if it proves to be useful. (But there would be no point in doing so unless I can name it in such a way as to indicate what game it is designed to be used with.)

The new data access policy which is in effect since a few months does NOT allow you to directly access the ED programs and/or protocols. Hence scraping the ED memory and/or hooking into the ED program with for example easyhook or a debugger is not allowed. When the iOS companion came out almost immediately commanders found out that the web-api used by the app could be accessed outside the oOS app by just typing in a url in a browser (or tool) and receiving a JSON datastructure. That JSON file is a wet dream for tool authors. I've had a look at the JSON file myself. Security by obscurity: it NEVER works. FD then stated that usage of it is verboten (NOT allowed). Tools like heatmap/BPC are parsing the netlogs to get the system name. When ED is released that information will be gone according to Michael Brookes. Not totally sure but it looks as if FD has tightened the data access policy in such a way that accessing ANY ED file is verboten. Did NOT send Michael Brookes a PM about it so not totally sure.

What IS allowed is using OCR techniques to get data from the ED program. I did send Michael Brookes a PM about it, his response: "As long as the method doesn't alter or access the exe or the game resources then it is fine. So OCR isn't an issue for us, although trying to read the frame buffer directly could be". Look at the two OCR solution for retrieving the names/prices of the commodities market. FD is NOT against the sharing of data. FD is planning to create a web-api after release. This will take time to setup, coding and making sure the web-api servers can handle the load (cpu/bandwidth) and DDOS attacks. A simpler approach would be to just dump the info received or send from/to the servers like prices, system names, buying/selling into a file. For example in JSON/XML or even CSV format.

Concerning association with ED. Somewhere in the forum there are default disclaimers/labels which you should put on your website/app. There is since months an android version of the BPC out. Slopey has NOT released the iOS version yet. If you create an app I would refrain from putting ads on it. The last commander who did that with an android version (trading tool) was asked to remove it. Officially for different reasons but my guess is, the ads could have influenced that decision.

Your best bet if you want to be 100% sure. Send Michael Brookes a PM in which you tell him about your plans and ask ik its allowed to create an iOS app. Please DO tell us the outcome, could be interesting.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
The list of things to add seems to be growing instead of getting smaller. When I add an entry I try to read the thread associated with it - if there is one. Often I find references to new tools which of course I then have to add also. I've also discovered that there are a few GEMS out there which got totally snowed under in the forums. Sometimes aside from the initial OP not a single post is in it. A real shame ;-( Hopefully now that this thread has sticky status its being read a lot (more) and commanders find out about those hidden GEMS and the author and the tool gets the exposure/attention these tool DESERVE. There are some very creative/talented commanders out there!!! I try to make it easier to find those GEMS by listing them in the "updates" section so that then commanders can look up the tool in the associated section. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
This ones really looking very good. Haven't checked the competitor wikis, but I like it. Clean and structured impression so far.

Have checked it out this morning. No adds, very nicely done tutorials and guide. Not everything is fully fleshed out. The Ship Specs section for example has not all the prices for the ships currently in the game. But heh its a wiki so everybody can add to it. It will be added to the OP, just got distracted with some threads/tools I was checking out. AND like I said, I don't discriminate, every tool/info posted here will be put on the OP. I just need to find the time.....

Added it to the OP, section "Manuals, wiki's and other useful information"

Name:
Author:
Description: An Elite Dangerous wiki.
Source available:
Comments: No ads. Contains some VERY useful guides/tutorials and other very useful information.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Could you please add Lave Wiki?

http://lavewiki.com

I'd love to see it grow, it's not swamped with ads (wikia are pretty ugly) and there's already some work of love on it. I don't know who author is.

Thanks for the info. Keep 'm coming.
Added it to the OP, section "Manuals, wiki's and other useful information"

Name:
Author:
Description: An Elite Dangerous wiki.
Source available:
Comments: No ads. Contains some VERY useful guides/tutorials and other very useful information.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Reported by commander filth in the "EliteOCR – Optical Character Recognition for The Commodities Market" thread.
Added Weka, section "Miscellaneous".

Name: Weka
Author:
Description: Weka is a collection of machine learning algorithms for data mining tasks.
Source available: Yes. Open source license: GPL v3
Thread:
Comments: Reported by commander filth. Machine learning can be used for, for example OCR solutions.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
That is Attila not Allila!! As in the famous leader of the Huns.

My bad. Used the name as was reported by a commander in post here. Rechecked commander Biteketkergetek's repository and the name he is using there is Attila Tajti. Changed into Attila's and thanks for correcting me. Btw is Attila's correct or should it be Attilas - struggling with that.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Added thread "[GENERAL] Common Use SQL Game Database Source". Section "Miscellaneous". Very interesting thread. Worth checking out.
I very much like the idea of NOT reinventing the wheel every time. A wheel which might not be perfectly round. The commander ask to help him with creating a perfectly round wheel which can be used by others as well. VERY interesting idea.

Name:
Author: sngerous
Description: Discussing a general and optimal database setup for multiple applications.
Source available:
Thread: [GENERAL] Common Use SQL Game Database Source
Compatible with Gamma:
Comments: Ambituous and very interesting thread. The commander has asked for assistance.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Haven't done as much as I hoped. Got really distracted by some very nice threads.
One thing you must do is checkout this OCR solution AND watch the video.
Very very nice. We are getting some really nice OCR gifts with Xmas commanders!!!!

20141210: Added to the OP. Section "OCR - Optical Character Recognition"

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I'm trying to wrap up the OP today -- unlikely however. Will be trying not to get distracted by (my) other threads and concentrate purely on typing in all the stuff which is still waiting to get inserted. Its NOT that funny and a bit boring. But heh, its a sticky now and one has to do something to keep it a sticky ;-) Aargh the extra FF window with all the urls in it has disappeared. NOT good.....

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Added to the OP.

Name: Elite Dangerous : Pilot Log Book
Author: KevinMillican
Description: Elite Dangerous : Pilot Log Book. Webbased.
Source available:
Thread: Shared Online Pilot Logs
Comments: Contains info about systems, station/platforms in it, coordinates, commodities, Black market etc. It even has photo's of station/platform. I believe its updated from TGC (for system names and coordinates). When TGC is able to handle static information like stations etc I believe the intention is to upload that info to TGC. Not sure if it has a web-api to retrieve information from it. But it has an export functionality.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Short list today. Mother celebrates her Birthday (71) So have to go.
DID find almost all links back - took some time. Now they are in notepad++.

Top Bottom