Hardware & Technical Computer Build to run Elite Dangerous

I'm good.

Asus P8Z77-V PRO
I7 3770K @4.6GHz
EVGA 780TI SuperClocked
Sound Blaster X-Fi Falat1y edition (5.1 surround)
16GB Ram Corsair Vengenance (1666mhz)
Corsair 380GB SSD
Samsung EVO 500SSD
Corsair H100i performance edition (upgraded fans)
Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise
27 inch IPS CapLeap Q270 2560x1440 monitor

Once Maxwell drops I will be back to SLI with the flagship 880 or whatever they call it.

Welcome to the forum,

The minimum specs are as mentioned a quad core processor with at least a 1gb Graphics card.

Direct X 11
Quad Core CPU ( 4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
2 GB System Ram (more is always better)
DX 10 hardware GPU, 1GB video RAM(my reasonably low end machine has a GTX 285 with 2GB) Minimum video ram spec updated to 1GB.

Anything less and you would really struggle.

I've seen the minimum specs before, which I hit, but never the referenced GTX285 as a minimum example.

Oh dear! "Your GPU is 219% proportionally worse in performance than the nVidia GTX285" in a quick benchmark comparison... :(

I've seen the minimum specs before, which I hit, but never the referenced GTX285 as a minimum example.

Oh dear! "Your GPU is 219% proportionally worse in performance than the nVidia GTX285" in a quick benchmark comparison... :(

I think GTX285 was listed in minimal requirements during early Alpha. Now it is GTX260.

running a MSI P67A-C45 with i5 2500K (OC'd to 4.3GHz) and 16GB RAM (i do a lot of Photoshopping with large files)

upgraded the GFX a couple of times since initial purchase, on a R9 270X running the game on a 27" LG at 2560x1440 (all graphics on high) with FPS dropping to 35 when its around a Space Station..

oh and bought a couple of Samsung EVO 840's a couple weeks back and running those in RAID0 on SATA3 :D

and it's worth noting i think, that the CPU usage seems to be very low when playing - I have task manager up when playing to see what's going on when it freezes or if i need to force quit the game, and even when i'm recording video with Dxtory i don't see the CPU go above 30% across all cores..

Last edited:
running a MSI P67A-C45 with i5 2500K (OC'd to 4.3GHz) and 16GB RAM (i do a lot of Photoshopping with large files)

upgraded the GFX a couple of times since initial purchase, on a R9 270X running the game on a 27" LG at 2560x1440 (all graphics on high) with FPS dropping to 35 when its around a Space Station..

oh and bought a couple of Samsung EVO 840's a couple weeks back and running those in RAID0 on SATA3 :D

and it's worth noting i think, that the CPU usage seems to be very low when playing - I have task manager up when playing to see what's going on when it freezes or if i need to force quit the game, and even when i'm recording video with Dxtory i don't see the CPU go above 30% across all cores..

CPU usage was significantly improved in A4. It was very high previously in A3.

Howdy folks, here's my rig for Elite :)

CPU: i7-4770K
GPU: ASUS GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz
SSD: Kingston HyperX 240GB
HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB
PSU: Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W
Screen: Asus VE278H
Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Z
Hotas: Thrustmaster T.Flight X

Stuff i should already know.

I know ED minimal hardware req, but i wanted to hear other people opinion on my old gramps comp.

gigabyte p35-ds3p
q8200 4 actual cores oc from 2.33 to 3ghz stable, 40C to 65C
gts 450 2g ddr5 core oc form 783mhz to 920mhz memory clock 1804mhz to 1951mhz 28C to 61C
4gb ddr2 ram 504mhz ( i know its really really crap)

If i can run it decently, how much does it cost to get ED now?

About server now and in the future, is there (or in the future will there be) EU, US and Asia servers or is there only one big server?

Thanks.

I know ED minimal hardware req, but i wanted to hear other people opinion on my old gramps comp.

gigabyte p35-ds3p
q8200 4 actual cores oc from 2.33 to 3ghz stable, 40C to 65C
gts 450 2g ddr5 core oc form 783mhz to 920mhz memory clock 1804mhz to 1951mhz 28C to 61C
4gb ddr2 ram 504mhz ( i know its really really crap)

If i can run it decently, how much does it cost to get ED now?

About server now and in the future, is there (or in the future will there be) EU, US and Asia servers or is there only one big server?

Thanks.

Most probably your gts 450 will be the bottleneck as it is really weak and is slower than GTX 260, which is minimal requirement. The texture fill rate is 1.5 times slower and memory bandwidth 2 times slower.

I would replace it to at least GTX750Ti, which most probably should not require PSU upgrade. I cannot recommend you more powerful GPUs unless you name your PSU and its wattage.

As far as I know there is one master server, which saves the information about your progress, instancing is performed by Amazon servers, probably located worldwide.

CPU: i7-4770K
GPU: ASUS GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz
SSD: Kingston HyperX 240GB
HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB
PSU: Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W
Screen: Asus VE278H
Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Z
Hotas: Thrustmaster T.Flight X

Have you been around my place and nicked my machine!

Mine is identical apart from my GPU is GTX770

Most probably your gts 450 will be the bottleneck as it is really weak and is slower than GTX 260, which is minimal requirement. The texture fill rate is 1.5 times slower and memory bandwidth 2 times slower.

I would replace it to at least GTX750Ti, which most probably should not require PSU upgrade. I cannot recommend you more powerful GPUs unless you name your PSU and its wattage.

As far as I know there is one master server, which saves the information about your progress, instancing is performed by Amazon servers, probably located worldwide.

what pcie 2.0 videocard would you recommend?
I know i should just upgrade the whole system, but i want to keep this one alive for some time.
P.S. 500w psu

what pcie 2.0 videocard would you recommend?
I know i should just upgrade the whole system, but i want to keep this one alive for some time.
P.S. 500w psu

Depends how much you want to spend?

eg: AMD Radeon R9 270 for just over £100 with low power usage too (150w).

Its a cheap build pc so i want to get the best for my buck.
gtx 550 ti maybe, its really cheap, but is it too small of an upgrade?
or 460Gtx SE OC

Last edited:

Have you tried the game yet on your system, or know someone with a similar spec who has? If not why not wait? Gfx cards will only get cheaper in the coming months, and you can upgrade when you've tried it in a matter of days if it proves to be a problem?

Have you tried the game yet on your system, or know someone with a similar spec who has? If not why not wait? Gfx cards will only get cheaper in the coming months, and you can upgrade when you've tried it in a matter of days if it proves to be a problem?

I guess this is just me looking for a reason to make a small upgrade to my old pc, didnt have a reason to change anything cause it ran everything i played, but hearing that my gts450 is crap for ED i just was thinking to get something cheap that could atleast on paper run ED decently.
i like the 460Gtx SE OC but i need some opinions on it.

I would seriously consider GTX750Ti, which costs £98.98:
http://www.dabs.com/products/best-v...-0-hdmi-stormx-oc-98XH.html?q=gtx750ti&src=16

R9 270X costs NOT just over £100 but a lot more - £123.06, i.e. 23% more.
http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphi...-3-0-hdmi-dual-x-oc-95NN.html?q=r9 270&src=16

Given, that NVidia GPUs have less problem in ED than AMD I would consider GTX660 in that price range with the price of £136.99:
http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...xpress-3-0-hdmi-oc-8911.html?q=gtx 660&src=16

I would seriously consider GTX750Ti, which costs £98.98:
http://www.dabs.com/products/best-v...-0-hdmi-stormx-oc-98XH.html?q=gtx750ti&src=16

R9 270X costs NOT just over £100 but a lot more - £123.06, i.e. 23% more.
http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphi...-3-0-hdmi-dual-x-oc-95NN.html?q=r9 270&src=16

Given, that NVidia GPUs have less problem in ED than AMD I would consider GTX660 in that price range with the price of £136.99:
http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...xpress-3-0-hdmi-oc-8911.html?q=gtx 660&src=16

RE staying NVidia - If you already have NVidia, you should be able to simply swap and go with no driver issue I believe?

However, I believe the GTX660 is older tech. than the R9? Bit of a bitter pill if you're paying more for it too?

Last edited:
or 460Gtx SE OC

There is absolutely no sense in upgrading to GTX550Ti as it would offer about the same performance as you have now. GTX460GTX SE is the worst card in GTX460 line-up but should be a tiny bit faster than GTX550Ti, in any case I do not think that this would be a real upgrade even for some time until you build a proper PC. There is a very high chance that this would be a simple waste of money.

I would really suggest you buying a new GPU, which would be enough for several years, probably you will need upgrade your PSU as well and then build your PC around this GPU. This might save you some money in a long perspective.

RE staying NVidia - If you already have NVidia, you should be able to simply swap and go with no driver issue I believe?

However, I believe the GTX660 is older tech. than the R9?

There should not be any problems with drivers, it is always possible to select "Clean install" during NVidia driver installation.

I doubt it, as far as I know R9 is mostly rebranded HD7*** series.
GTX 6-series are not that old tech.

R9 270X is rebranded HD7870 and R9 280X is rebranded HD7970 according to the information available in the Internet.

And The Great Rebrand of 2013

OK, so we have brand-new cards based on next-generation silicon, right? The as-yet-unreleased R9 290X and R9 290 are certainly distinct from any Radeons that we've seen before - they really need to be, in order to mix it up with the Tesla-derived GeForce GTX Titan and 780 - but the remaining cards are, for the most part, a rebrand of existing Radeons.

According to:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/60961-amd-radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom