Hardware & Technical Computer Build to run Elite Dangerous

Definitely stick with the full-size ATX mobo - and you'd be better off having two sticks of RAM instead of one.

I'd be more inclined to stick with the 1 stick of RAM, and then buy another 8GB in a few months. Why limit your available DIMM slots by putting two smaller sticks in? :S

I'd be more inclined to stick with the 1 stick of RAM, and then buy another 8GB in a few months. Why limit your available DIMM slots by putting two smaller sticks in?
That's fine if he does double it (good idea, btw) - but you lose a little RAM performance with only one stick (which was why I mentioned it).

That's fine if he does double it (good idea, btw) - but you lose a little RAM performance with only one stick (which was why I mentioned it).

True, but the difference in speed isn't significant IMO. If he's looking to future proof, 16GB of RAM will be pretty much standard in a year's time or possibly less, and when that happens, there's nothing you can do with those 4GB DIMMs except sell them or throw them away when he finds he needs to replace them with 8s.

Well, an update from the Beta - see sig for spec.

Running on max settings (1920x1200), and even around/in space stations generally locked vsync 60 fps, with some slow downs at worst to mid 45-50?

So far I'm happy :)

Aye, true enough, Juniper - but that mobo does have four DIMM slots, so you'd simply add two more sticks later.
No matter - it'll come down to the initial budget, I expect ('twere ever thus).

Drop the I5 and go for an AMD FX 8 core beasty, you will love it, it is also more likely to be cheaper for you and save you money, to upgrade that graphics card... :D

Stick with Asus though, Asus = Quality...

Just to give you an idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-X8-Co...2?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item27ccee204a

Much faster than an I5, and cheaper... Why oh why do people go for crappy I5's when you can get an I7 equivalent, at a much cheaper price? And before you all start I am not Intel bashing, I love em, but even I could not see the sense in buying Intel, when AMD have a really nice FX processor on the market now...

Well, this spec ends up about the same cost:

AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU (4.00GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)
ASUS® M5A99X EVO R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s,CrossFireX/SLI, Windows 8)
8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

I hear what you're saying though.. I'll think on.. Thanks ;)

Anytime, I went through the same issues, and found it to be a better all round build... Finishing off now with my new monitor, that is being delivered today...

Asus 29" mx299q monitor, the size is perfect for me... And it is the icing on the cake for a really nice system...

BTW...

This system is the one I have got my friends to buy on a tight budget. They have been amazed by the price and what it can do... ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gamer-Pc-...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item5d44f0928d

Hey. that's a good price - I'm just a bit wary of buying from abroad, in case of issues (I'm probably just being daft here). Have you brought from them before?

My build is going to be made of these parts.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog
Razer Naga Expert MMO Gaming Mouse
Razer Tiamat 7.1 1
Razer Orbweaver
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Elite
ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT - PCI Express
AVerMedia Live Gamer HD C985 - PCI Express
ASUS Rampage IV Republic of Gamers - Black Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K
CORSAIR AX-1200 PSU
64GB RAM
GTX 780 TI GPU

This system should be able to run |ED|SC| at high settings.

Yes!!! :cool: I sent the link to a friend, who lives here in the UK with me, he brought one, is very pleased with it... And it has only taken 3 days to get to him.

He had a look inside, and said the build quality is very good. Well it is German built, they do not mess around. It saves you money to get a nice little add on, like a SSD, which I did. ;)

Okie dokie - I'll have a think :cool:

I7-3370k OC'd to 3.8
16GB DDR3 1866Mhz G. Skill memory
Gigabyte Z77 motherboard (with Gold caps :cool:)
256GB SSD
2 x 3TB HDD 7200 RPM Seagates (one is movies the other is games)
eVGA Nvidia 780Ti SC 3GB
Seasonic 850W PSU
TV: LG 55"
Pioneer SC-55 Home Theater Surround sound
Headset: Logitech G930 wireless

I never know why people over clock, you kill the processor, shorten its lifespan, and for what, a few extra Ghz...

If you want a faster processor, buy one at that speed, it will do the job better, as it is designed to work at that speed. It will also run better... :D

Sorry, but why would lifespan shortened if the CPU is overclocked within recommended voltage and within recommended temperatures. So you are definitely wrong. Which means why should not you overclock if you can get easily get a better performance? Why would there be the CPUs with unlocked multipliers? If you got the fastest CPU how then it is not possible to get a more faster one simply because there is none.

Just thinking

Ok so my system has slowly upgraded over time but is getting a bit past it now and there is not much point in upgrading it much more (unless I am going to go for a new mobo). But I was just wondering how far off it is from running ED at some level.

Basic Specs.

M'board Asus MN32Sli Delux
CPU AMD Phenom II x 4 925
Graphics card Saphhire HD7750 2 GB.
Memory Kingston 4gb 800mhz .

Any thoughts would be great.

Hello guys!

I'm about to buy a new computer with the following specs:
  • CPU: INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz
  • Memory: 2 x KINGSTON 4GB ValueRAM DDR3 1600MHz
  • Video card: ASUS GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5 GTX760 2GB

Will I have a decent FPS in game?

Thanks in advance!

Hello guys!
I'm about to buy a new computer with the following specs:
  • CPU: INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz
  • Memory: 2 x KINGSTON 4GB ValueRAM DDR3 1600MHz
  • Video card: ASUS GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5 GTX760 2GB

Will I have a decent FPS in game?
Thanks in advance!

Yes. I have an almost identical system, vsync locked at full settings mostly everywhere (some FPS dips at planetary rings).

Back
Top Bottom