Hardware & Technical Computer Build to run Elite Dangerous

My new rig:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X @ 3 GHz, 8 Cores
GFX: ASUS GTX980-4GD5 - 4 GB GDDR5
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 2666 MHz
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

No system tweaking has been done, no overclocking.

Game settings at maximum.

Running the game on 3 1080p Monitors, 5896x1080 (Bezel Corrected).
VSYNC ON: Rock steady frame rate of 60 FPS in space, drops to a low of 40-45 in stations.
VSYNC OFF: Frame rates up to 75-90 FPS in empty space.

Single 1080p monitor, 1920x1980:
VSYNC ON: Never drops below 60 FPS.
VSYNC OFF: 130-150 FPS in space, drops to a minimum of 85-90 FPS in stations.

Last edited:
Think you need to upgrade you GPU. :smilie:
Lets hope there are lots of optimisations to come. :D

Yeah, I know Adam... ;o)

Might get a 2nd 980, but for now this'll do nicely ;o)
Don't want to muck about with SLI if I can avoid it - will wait and see how SLI support pans out.

My new rig:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X @ 3 GHz, 8 Cores
GFX: ASUS GTX980-4GD5 - 4 GB GDDR5
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 2666 MHz
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

No system tweaking has been done, no overclocking.
Why would you even bother? :D

That thing must just shred most apps you throw at it.

Nice system!!!

Hi,

I'm looking to play Elite: Dangerous but before I go any further I just wanted to see if the spec of my laptop would run the game, even at a basic level.

I have a Dell Studio 1749 with the following spec:

CPU: intel i5 540m dual core
Memory: 8gb
Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
I also have an ssd in there as the main drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PW77

Hello fellow commanders, and those who want to become one.

I've a rather old machine:

Mobo: AsRock P55 deluxe3
CPU: Intel Core i7 860@stock (1st gen. i7)
RAM: 8 GB Corsair super duper something :)
VGA: MSI GeForce GTX 470
Sound: Asus DX2 Sound Card (with custom drivers)

I'm running the game on Windows 8.1. Windows is installed on a quality SSD (can't remember which model it is, it was expensive). The game is installed on a rather old 1 GB SATA 2 HDD.

The game is running at the highest settings (which where set by default) @ 1920x1080, and it runs smooth – except the stuttering everyone experiences some times.

So I think any new build gaming rig – not those exaggerated 32-Gig-Dual-GTX980-8-Core-lit-up-like-a-christmas-tree-Monsters – will handle this game quite well.

I've recently build a computer for a friend for about 830€:

Mobo: AsRock Z97 pro4
CPU: Core i5 4690@stock
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance CL9
VGA: Club 3D R9 280 royalKing

This machine handles Battlefield 4 at FullHD and almost "Ultra"-Settings very well, and I think it would laugh about Elite.

Hi,

PW77

Hey yeah that should run the game, you may not get the best experience on high settings but it will run it well on medium I would imagine.

Best of luck commander and I hope to see you in the stars.

Hi,

I'm looking to play Elite: Dangerous but before I go any further I just wanted to see if the spec of my laptop would run the game, even at a basic level.

PW77

Hi,
Back in the days of early alpha testing, there was a spreadsheet where people compared benchmarks and ED performance from their computers. We used the FireStrike portion of the free demo of the 3DMark benchmarking software. Maybe you could have a go with that and post results.

For example, my laptop got a score of around 1200 and runs pretty well on high settings at 720p,my desktop with my old graphics card hit around 3600, and generally ran the game very nicely at 1080p. Swapping to my new GTX 970 bumped the score to 9234, which runs 4K as well as my laptop runs 720p

One concern would be the dual core CPU, as quad core is recommended

Thank you to Dr Wookie andMARPATdroid for the replies. I just might have to push the button now!

Thanks again for your help and possibly see you in game(hopefully without a bounty on your heads ;) )

PW77

Cpt Pete

Banned
Hi

I got a Zoostorm 64bit with a Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5800@3.20GHz
4 GB RAM and using Windows 7
Would it be ok if I put an i5 Quad core into this and get a decent graphics card and would this run elite ok?

So New Graphics card ,i5 Quad-Core and Motherboard

Still got to be cheaper then buying a new comp ;)

You also will need new RAM, the RAM for the E5800 is DDR2, the i5s and i7s use DDR3 RAM and your old RAM will not fit into the motherboard.

If you go crazy the super new processors use DDR4 RAM which is still really expensive, and yet again has a different pin configuration.

At a minimum you are looking at getting a new motherboard, ram, CPU, and video card. More than likely as Cody said you will need a new PSU as well. By this point you are replacing most of the internals to your computer and might benefit more from just upgrading the whole computer.

Which still shouldn't be too expensive, since E: D is made to run on a wide range of hardware, from ultra high end to lower-mid range computers.

Just upgrade your SSD mate, they are so much cheaper now... Get a 256gb for less then £100!! If you can stretch a little more you can get a nice 512gb ssd... Your graphics card is more then enough to run Elite, so no worries. ;)

If anyone wants to have a look for graphics card benchmarks, this is what I use at the moment...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Give you an idea, anything above the 4000 mark, will run Elite on full res. As long as you have the Processor above a dual core. :cool:

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in coming back. It's looking likely that we'll upgrade to a larger SSD come payday. :)

Hi people!

A month ago I heard about this game, and i'll buy it in a few days.
Want to know if this PC could play at 1080p and 60 fps, i've read things about the requirements that leave me questions.

My PC:

Intel Core i7-3820 3.60Ghz Box Socket 2011
G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 MHz (16 GB)
Zotac GTX 670 AMP Edition

Thanks for the help! ^^

Hi people!

Want to know if this PC could play at 1080p and 60 fps, i've read things about the requirements that leave me questions.

My PC:

Thanks for the help! ^^
Should have no problem.
Things to adjust if FPS drops seem to occur: shadows, level of AA, V-sync options, bloom, draw distance, FOV. At this stage, lower FPS might not even be related to your hardware.

Hi people!

My PC:

Thanks for the help! ^^

Honestly, that will smash the requirements. I'm running a 5 year old AMD Athlon X2 250, with a GTX760 GPU, and I get 60FPS at 1080P in open space, about 20FPS in the stations,a nd the only place it really struggles is the really heavy duty asteroid belts, but even then, it's mostly playable.

For me, the CPU is the bottleneck, and I'll be fixing that soon with an 4th gen i5, and an H97 motherboard.

I think your specs will do very nicely, though yes, I do think the "requirements" listed are a bit vague...

Z...

Hi people!

My PC:

Thanks for the help!
^^ From my limited understanding I thought you were better of with CL9 1600Mhz memory than slower latency (high speed)? eg: CL10 2400Mhz.

Thanks for the info, friends!

I know it's still early, in frontier will optimize the game better and surely I can play fluid, but I've read things about the oculus rift and people who do not exceeds 30 fps with better PC, and I have become a little paranoid hehehehe.

Neilf: This PC mounted it specifically for SLI and those dirty things (But I decided to wait for the graphics cards with 4 gigs, someday in the future i put 2 in SLI and i will laugh evilly), i had the help of two good friends with high knowledge and the opinion and advice of several specialized forums, so i hope to be successful with the choice.

I honestly do not know the difference (performance level) between each other, but I can assure you that I have not found anything that can not run on ultra with stable fps and 1080p.

That's why I asked.
I do not care about graphics (As long as it gets to a minimum, and this game gets it without problem), but I hate when the FPS drop and i have a good PC, and hate even more having a good PC but not enough for the game to go spectacularly fluid.
(I bought this pc a year ago, is the first powerful PC that I have, and always dreamed of having one. Wouldd be a pain to reach the ED and GTA V and see that I need even more PC).

Really guys, thank you for the help, and really sorry for my bad english. U know, google translate hehehe.

^_^

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom