Hardware & Technical Computer Build to run Elite Dangerous

Thank you! They are on ebay argos with free delivery if anyone interested

I think it might have the 8650G graphics in it. One possible issue there is the 4GB of RAM - if that's only 1 stick then it'll run in single-channel mode, dropping performance by a bit. You might want to stick in a cheap 2GB stick of same-speed RAM just to get the dual channel working, but see what it performs like first of all.

If you are looking for a relatively cheap laptop to play this game try looking for a laptop equipped with a nvidia Geforce 840m graphics card paired with a quad core I5 intel CPU or a powerfull I7 dual core Intel CPU. A setup like this can play at 1366x768 resolution on all high settings. Also, you need to have at least 4gb of RAM memory

If you are looking for a relatively cheap laptop to play this game try looking for a laptop equipped with a nvidia Geforce 840m graphics card paired with a quad core I5 intel CPU or a powerfull I7 dual core Intel CPU. A setup like this can play at 1366x768 resolution on all high settings. Also, you need to have at least 4gb of RAM memory

That's at least double the cost of what the OP is willing to spend.

vonvonbraun

Banned
I think it might have the 8650G graphics in it. One possible issue there is the 4GB of RAM - if that's only 1 stick then it'll run in single-channel mode, dropping performance by a bit. You might want to stick in a cheap 2GB stick of same-speed RAM just to get the dual channel working, but see what it performs like first of all.

Ok I will

Bare in mind I am happy to use low res and everything low when away for max 1/2 hrs trading session nothing more intense

But how do you add the ram in case? You have to open itapart?

Ok I will

Bare in mind I am happy to use low res and everything low when away for max 1/2 hrs trading session nothing more intense

But how do you add the ram in case? You have to open itapart?
Here's a vid that shows how to upgrade the RAM (and HDD too), you'll need a 4GB DDR3 1600MHz SoDimm - Dual-Channel works best with matching size modules:
[video=youtube_share;uaYFKKj4Xqw]http://youtu.be/uaYFKKj4Xqw[/video]

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was wondering if the PC I'm buying would be able to run Elite, and thought I ask here before I start a new thread. :)

The PC I'm buying is an All-In-One (yes I know, a proper desktop PC is much better but I'm buying this one for reasons). For gaming, it only needs to be able to run Elite, StarCraft II, Total War and a few old RTS-games on max settings. Other than that, the PC will be used for work and browsing the web since I mainly play games on consoles.

Here's the specs:

Processor: 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4770S processor (8 M cache 3,9 GHz)
Memory: 16GB DDR SDRAM 1600 MHz with double channels - 2 DIMM
Harddrive: SATA-HD 2TB, 7 200 RPM, 6Gbit/s + mSATA SSD 32GB
Screen: 27 inch LED (Adobe RGB QHD Resolution 2560x1440
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5 with TPM
Network: Killer Wireless-N 1202

Here's the link to the PC, but the site is in Swedish.

[EDIT] found a english link on dell's international page.

Please keep in mind that the XPS 27 comes in three different configurations, and reviews online don't always specify wich one they are reviewing. The PC I'm buying is the PC in those links/specs I wrote above.

As I said, I know that a desktop PC with its own case is more bang for the buck, but I have my reasons for wanting an All-In-One PC, and this is the best I found with the limited knowledge I have about hardware specifications.

So, do you this PC can run Elite on max settings?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was wondering if the PC I'm buying would be able to run Elite, and thought I ask here before I start a new thread. :)

The PC I'm buying is an All-In-One (yes I know, a proper desktop PC is much better but I'm buying this one for reasons). For gaming, it only needs to be able to run Elite, StarCraft II, Total War and a few old RTS-games on max settings. Other than that, the PC will be used for work and browsing the web since I mainly play games on consoles.

Here's the specs:

Please keep in mind that the XPS 27 comes in three different configurations, and reviews online don't always specify wich one they are reviewing. The PC I'm buying is the PC in those links/specs I wrote above.

As I said, I know that a desktop PC with its own case is more bang for the buck, but I have my reasons for wanting an All-In-One PC, and this is the best I found with the limited knowledge I have about hardware specifications.

No, the GPU is too weak.

Well, maybe it can, but I think it couldn't be called running.

For 1440p to run 30 FPS or above with GFX settings at max - dunno, maybe GTX770 4 GB would suffice.

Happy if proven wrong though. :)

Last edited:
It might be ok, hard to tell. My 7850 1GB can run Eyefinity on max anywhere except in stations and asteroids, for example, and that's a helluva lot more pixels. The 750 might lack the required bandwidth though and it's a bit slower already. Shadows would likely have to be turned way down or off, but tbh so long as textures are kept to high the game still looks good.

It might be ok, hard to tell. My 7850 1GB can run Eyefinity on max anywhere except in stations and asteroids, for example, and that's a helluva lot more pixels. The 750 might lack the required bandwidth though and it's a bit slower already. Shadows would likely have to be turned way down or off, but tbh so long as textures are kept to high the game still looks good.
Which version of 7850 you do have? And what resolution you use in your Eyefinity setup?

Even the 'basic' 7850 has over five times the GT 750M's memory bandwith (http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1246&gid2=676&compare=geforce-gt-750m-vs-radeon-hd-7850).

So I do remain sceptical of E: D being playable with any GFX settings & GT 750M @ 2560x1440p, let alone on MAX/HIGH settings...

Still, happy if proven wrong. :)

The tip about shadows is very good, and 2 GB should be enough for decent sized textures.

Now, if the GPU was GTX 750 Ti, things might look different. :)

Here's the specs:

No, the GPU is too weak.
Well, maybe it can, but I think it couldn't be called running.
For 1440p to run 30 FPS or above with GFX settings at max - dunno, maybe GTX770 4 GB would suffice.
Happy if proven wrong though. :)
As the CMDRs have surmised, the GPU is far too weak for that screen size/resolution. The only way to play ED on that computer would be to drop resolution down to 1080P AND reduce graphics quality options to low, thereby losing the advantage of the screen - not to mention the i7 and RAM which will be relatively untaxed :(

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Here's a performance comparison of the GT 750M (i.e. laptop version) to a GTX 750 (desktop version) and 7850 (AdoredTV's GPU): http://hwbot.org/compare/videocards#2089_1,2231_1,1918_1-29,17,23

Last edited:
Which version of 7850 you do have? And what resolution you use in your Eyefinity setup?

Even the 'basic' 7850 has over five times the GT 750M's memory bandwith (http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1246&gid2=676&compare=geforce-gt-750m-vs-radeon-hd-7850).

So I do remain sceptical of E: D being playable with any GFX settings & GT 750M @ 2560x1440p, let alone on MAX/HIGH settings...

Still, happy if proven wrong. :)

The tip about shadows is very good, and 2 GB should be enough for decent sized textures.

Now, if the GPU was GTX 750 Ti, things might look different. :)

Oh lol, I thought he had a 750, not a 750M. :p

Yes you're right, there's no way that'll run the game on max even on 1080p.

My Eyefinity setup is 5280x1000, it's factory overclocked to 1GHz so it performs more like an R9 270. The game is surprisingly easy on it tbh, though like I said it can't handle asteroids and stations on max settings (15fps type of thing in eyefinity, but totally fine at 1080p).

Last edited:
Ok, i have 2 goals 1 - Play Elite MAX settings
2 - Play BF4 MAX settings

I have just bought:

Intel 4770K
Corsair H100i
EVGA GTX780Ti x 2 running in SLI
Asus Maximus formula VI motherboard
Corsair AX860i PSU
Sandisk extreme SSD
32gb Corsair vengence pro RAM
If that wont run elite they have excluded 99% of people who have a worse rig!!

What are you gonna run it on?

I am running almost the exact same setup except using the 4790k

I was shocked how bad the M version is tbf! :eek:

It's typical naming shenanigans again. It's not even based on Maxwell, it's a Kepler chip. You have to be pretty careful when buying Nvidia hardware :p Tbh AMD are no better these days with their bizarre naming conventions.

Top Bottom