Parks Coney Island 1950!

Thank you guys for all the wonderful comments. I have actually given a lot of thought to making the place a little grungy, so maybe we'll see that soon!

Art imitating life imitating Planet Coaster! I found several pictures online from Woody Allen's Wonder Wheel film, that takes place in the 1950's, and they did film on Coney Island, where they redecorated a number of buildings for the film. Here's one example;

CMyjiaX.jpg

My version;

8d4JqzJ.jpg

Thank you chewiebacco for the roll up doors. You can find them on the workshop here;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1380246154

I may change up a few of the signs, but I kind of like it!

you can achieve this older beat up look with skillful placing of billboards and using texture pictures to get this kind of fill. It can be done on walls and/or the ground.

Ok, but does life have to be as difficult as possible? hehe

I made a Steel-Bolt to fasten a pole in my park. I like to have some realism. I made it from 2 Pipes. The end of the pipes are like a Half bolt, so 2 made an almost perfect 6-corned bolt. I am glad i only needed 1 bolt.

Last edited:
Wow, citytrader!! You've really captured the look of the Tornado Bobs! I used to stare at pictures of it when I was younger in all my roller coaster books...so that makes me an expert. ha ha! I LOVE this.

That was the first wooden coaster I was ever on! I scrolled up to see the PlanCo version of that screen shot, not realizing that WAS the PlanCo version, that's how realistic that picture looks.

Wow, citytrader!! You've really captured the look of the Tornado Bobs! I used to stare at pictures of it when I was younger in all my roller coaster books...so that makes me an expert. ha ha! I LOVE this.

That was the first wooden coaster I was ever on! I scrolled up to see the PlanCo version of that screen shot, not realizing that WAS the PlanCo version, that's how realistic that picture looks.

Thank you both very much! I'm thrilled you like it!

Here's the reverse angle of the coaster;

zG1SC7F.jpg

One of the many food vendors;

UsmFDKt.jpg

The completed haunted house with a zombie ticket taker!

JBocAr9.jpg

Was that haunted mansion supposed to be a walk through? What was the other haunted house ride through that you posted a screenshot of? It looked like something Bill Tracy would have built. Was that a real ride years ago? If it was, where was it located at Coney?

Do you mean this one?

i7qZZRH.jpg

I already answered you at that time. The Haunted House is loosely based on one still standing in Camden Park, West Virginia;

haunted-house-arcade-at-camden-park-an-amusement-park-on-the-outskirts-of-huntington-1024.jpg

It is not a Bill Tracy. It was not at Coney Island, but represents dozens of similar ones that were there.

I can't believe it's been over a year since I posted here. Shame on me!

JCat, no, none of my structures have detailed interiors. The price I pay for having such a huge bench!

So, I guess I'll just post a bunch of pictures to keep you all updated!

Bullethead sent me a skid row hotel to add to the bench. It looks great!

1syuqVZ.jpg

MaskedBandit allowed me to utilize his boardwalk bumps ride;

7PszpJZ.jpg

Mr Orange graciously let me use his Blue Heaven;

LN8BLRv.jpg

Here's an overview of a small park within the park, called Astroland;

hZnB4ZV.jpg

The entrance to Astroland always had this kitchy 1950s era rocketship;

lBW4jCo.jpg

The real thing;

nJkHDTm.jpg

I'll post more soon!

A Dante's Inferno recreation would be great. And the Hell Hole (rotor). Instead of a rotor which Planet Coaster doesn't have right now, a round up (centrum) can be substituted with the ride sequence set to not tilt, just spin horizontal. A building could be built over the centrum to enclose it. Wildwood, NJ also had a Hell Hole and still has a Dante's ride but renamed Dante's Dungeon.

Thanks for the suggestions! However, Dante's Inferno was opened in 1971. I am aiming for a 1950 date.

Also, I do have a couple of rotors (invented in 1949) in the park already, but they are just facades. I felt the Centrum was too big and bulky to realistically replace the rotor.

Here are a few more pictures;

The Spanish Ballroom, a typical dance hall type operation;

eJDlPlJ.jpg

A small construction/teardown site;

ihQSOYN.jpg

The profile of the Tornado Bobs was fine tuned by Bullethead. Much smoother than my version!

N5vZnPG.jpg

The unfinished interior maze of track (Unfinished);

e69edH8.jpg

Astroland DID have Spook-A-Rama, a very compact dark ride;

SME9aHr.jpg

The real thing;

0bzKnqg.jpg

The coaster behind the facade wasn't built until the 1970's.

More soon!

I did a little more tinkering and detailing, and I think I like the way this is progressing;

rcGs4Oq.jpg

I added reinforcement to the top and bottom of the barrel, as well as the stripes for some visual interest. I also added the canopy with the columns

Wagi does it again!

One of the more interesting attractions at Coney Island was the Dive Bells, a pair of enclosed vehicles which raised and lowered into a pool filled with various sea life. As far as I can tell, this was basically a swimming pool, which made it easier for the staff to maintain and look after the fish and other animals within the tank.

Wagi sent me the basic structure, I added fences and a few details, as well as the pump house. Also, a very big shout out to willibix, who released the portholes and doors for the diving bells.

Here's the real ride;

8OQ1POW.jpg

Here's the recreation;

yM16xoI.jpg

KqGIaq7.jpg

CYfwC1n.jpg

Here's the completed and detailed Dive Bell;

gnwN7i2.jpg

Ravenhall Bath House took up an entire city block and included steam rooms, saunas, and an olympic sized pool;

f0f6PFC.jpg

xZ3V7Uz.jpg

A car dealership;

Kig3Ar8.jpg

The Bank of Coney Island;

3sfkiNt.jpg

Top Bottom