Consider giving Frontier's Annual Report and Accounts 2022 a read.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call it pay to win, i would call it cheesing. And it's such stinky, lingering musky cheese that robs the game of all future engagement. That is the true issue of ED. There is nothing but repetitive toils, all in different flavors.

In hindsight for Frontier, while it might bring in a short engagement injection, it's nothing that makes the playerbase sustainable, because it's only half the toil required to grow in power and potential as the other half has actually been "nerfed" by removing easily repeatable ways of obtaining materials. Players will see this grindwall way earlier than they are supposed to.

Not that it matters for Frontier anyway, they wanted to increase sales for Odyssey much as they did back then for Horizons. And that correlates to the (this time subtle and sneaky) powercreep. On a once-off purchase it doesn't matter whether the player sticks for 2.01 or 3,000 hours. The money has been spent.

If their aim is to make pay to skin their breadwinner, like it was worded in the report, they are not on a good course because why would anyone want to show off their colors in this extremely large playing field of emptiness, even in open, especially so with the el cheapo netcode that limits the effective playerbase in the instance because it was founded on strategies in the early 2000s (As no one for sure predicted the lack of dedicated connectivity)?

On another note, this way of business will bring Legacy's future in another bad light as, save for skins, there's nothing to monetize in it anymore.

Last edited:
Most probably this report will be published in January
Which will include, no doubt, the acquisition of the Canadian studio, among other things
But, naturally, will only pay lip service to ED/O - although there may have been an uptick in Odyssey purchases since 3.8 became Legacy.
I do so enjoy joining in the doom predictions - despite being one of the alleged "White Knights" according to some.

On another note, this way of business will bring Legacy's future in another bad light as, save for skins, there's nothing to monetize in it anymore.
No doubt it is subsidised by 4.0, so no need for DOOM this week...

As for Cosmetics, I buy them for my own vanity and am not at all bothered if others see them. Perhaps I am odd that way?

Which will include, no doubt, the acquisition of the Canadian studio, among other things
But, naturally, will only pay lip service to ED/O - although there may have been an uptick in Odyssey purchases since 3.8 became Legacy.
I do so enjoy joining in the doom predictions - despite being one of the alleged "White Knights" according to some.

Well, the interim report from FY22 was quite relevant to the losses FD incurred and it was seen in the tight budget the ED team was running since January 2022

Hopefully this year's interim report will be much better for FDev in general and for ED specifically
After all, all Odyssey debt was covered in FY22, so everything it made in these first 6 months of FY23 should count toward profits.

edit: typos

Last edited:
No doubt it is subsidised by 4.0, so no need for DOOM this week...
Depends on how important this subsistence stays. If the bookkeepers say it limits profitability, it surely will be cut its life support. It all costs separate servers and databases.

WoW classic, f. ex., is sustained by subscriptions only. ED doesn't have such an income stream (and if it required a sub, i'd quit, unless dedicated servers will be introduced. I do not pay to then be asked to give my connection for hosting).

After all, all Odyssey debt was covered in FY22
Yes, it was, which is why 8 million(?) was amortised, meaning that any future sales would be 'profit' rather than paying off the development debt.
The doom brigade picked up on the loss when the report was issued, so quite fun to see a re-hash so late in the year.

I find it fascinating that some 'players' are concerned about the financials of Frontier - it isn't as if those 'players' can do anything about the situation / decisions at Frontier. Discussion of such appears to always be on a DOOM scenario here.

Depends on how important this subsistence stays. If the bookkeepers say it limits profitability, it surely will be cut its life support. It all costs separate servers and databases.
Well, if insufficient funds are raised by ED as a whole, the servers will shut down anyway - Frontier isn't a charity, after all.
Until Frontier announces the end of days for the game, why worry?

Considering a lot can be done via the BGS and tweaks to the proc gen nature of the system, I imagine a fair amount can be done without massive expenditure. FD seem now at ease adding new things such as voice logs, drops in game, more involved CGs and now the Thargoid War. 2023s update I imagine will be Powerplay (which will most likely leverage the Thargoid mechanics in U14 and learn from that) and then extras would be again number tweaking.

So while we will never see flashy things with huge budgets, having to get by on pennies might work out just as well.
Let's hope so.

so there is an odd paradox.
It isn't paradox.

Game is more funny in ships, which can provide any challenge, and danger if you will do something wrong.

Meanwhile big, unkillable beats, immortal gods of war are boring, because it change game into "point and click long enough, they cannot take even 10% of shields".

That is the true issue of ED. There is nothing but repetitive toils, all in different flavors.
Could you show me game without repeattive things, which could provide me something more, than 10 hours of gameplay? :D

Ah, ok, WoW. Grind, grind, grind, make money, make money, spam 1 quest or boss 100 times.
Totally without repeatitive gameplay.

It isn't paradox.

Game is more funny in ships, which can provide any challenge, and danger if you will do something wrong.

Meanwhile big, unkillable beats, immortal gods of war are boring, because it change game into "point and click long enough, they cannot take even 10% of shields".
Well it is a paradox because whats missing is large ships coming with more responsibility / costs / overhead. That and crew, money etc.

Its why big ships like the T series have no real place outside stepping stones. If they were cheaper to run and source parts for, they'd have a role but if FD did some people would have an aneurysm.

Could you show me game without repeattive things, which could provide me something more, than 10 hours of gameplay? :D
Divinity Original Sin 2 (can be played multiplayer, decisions can conflict each other, has a lot of replay value due to the possible decisions and how they interlink each other)
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous
Baldur's Gate 2
Minecraft (okay, lacks story, but the simplicity makes up for it and it's grindless, can be played multiplayer with a variety of mods and options, some mods even provide MMO-like aspects if you are after them)
Dyson Sphere Program
Factorio (can be played multiplayer)

MMOs are repetitive and grindy in nature, yes, but ED in its core is not an MMO and never has been. MMOs make up for it by providing outlets to socialize in. ED is shallow and flawed in this regard.

If you can't provide story, provide an outlet for creativity or an outlet to socialize in or all you can provide is repetition.

Last edited:
I enjoy being a white Knight and supporting a British developer, besides for an 18st bald headed, long bearded old bloke i look quiet good in satin at the weekends 😜

O7
Its OK Pranav....just.....less quiche in '23 k?

1671454635382.png

So if you don't want the game to be "doomed" and you want the developers to continue working on the game, give Frontier more money by buying Arx (and Odyssey if you haven't got it already)... simple!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom