"Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule"

I would seriously start preparing yourselves to hear the news that Odyssey on consoles has been cancelled, later this year.

The jump in system demands is huge. If it stays this way after the optimisation patches rolling out presently, there is no way in heck that this will run on a 2013 Xbox One.

Easy tiger, even the forums have a finite capacity for doom...

But seriously, you are right in as much as platform support never lasts forever, these things, and also the game itself has a finite life. However, decisions about dropping platforms are based on data. They are not emotional decisions, and right now, the entirety of this forum is awash with emotion.

Let's see where we are when the dust settles. There's a promised roadmap literally around the corner. If there's no commitment at all to console platforms there, then you might have a point.

I fully expect one of two things to happen.
Either they announce the backcompat XBox One and PS4 versions are gonna be deprecated, and Odyssey will only come to Series X/S and PS5, OR they go full CDPR and release a version for those consoles which is MASSIVELY compromised, with effects and detail hugely scaled back in order to manage double digit framerates, like the way the PS4 version of Cyberpunk eventually managed steady framerates from a patch which stopped the game rendering lighting, shadows, and many environmental textures and models.

I fully expect one of two things to happen.
Either they announce the backcompat XBox One and PS4 versions are gonna be deprecated, and Odyssey will only come to Series X/S and PS5, OR they go full CDPR and release a version for those consoles which is MASSIVELY compromised, with effects and detail hugely scaled back in order to manage double digit framerates, like the way the PS4 version of Cyberpunk eventually managed steady framerates from a patch which stopped the game rendering lighting, shadows, and many environmental textures and models.
They will probably stop and think which of the two things will bring them more money.

NGL though, it is PAINFUL to see the quality drop when shifting from my Series X to my Series S on backcompat games, because of how it uses the textures from the One S version. The Series S is capable of SO MUCH more than that when running dedicated 9th gen games with textures designed for 1440p. More games need dedicated current gen versions.

"We can pull 30fps out of Odyssey on One S if we lower the resolution to 480p!"
"Ship it!"
Remember we're talking about this based on a half-baked release that was not properly optimised - that's skewing the whole conversation massively into glass half empty territory.

Remember we're talking about this based on a half-baked release that was not properly optimised
Yes, we're already all PAINFULLY aware (especially us carrier owners on console who are trapped by bugs in an expansion that doesn't even come out on our platform for half a year or more) of how far into CP77 territory Odyssey already is at this point launching at least 6 months before it was anywhere near ready in order to meet the end of the financial year.

Yes, we're already all PAINFULLY aware
If you were then why would you not point out this obvious and pivotal caveat?

For the record - I have no idea how the consoles will deal with Odyssey. Not a clue.

What I do know is that using a completely unfinished project as a yardstick is pointless.

I first played ED on my original XB1. Loved the game (even in early access) and looking back, it ran pretty well considering the hardware. But that was based on 2013 tech and now.....I can't even see the enhanced CPU Jag-cores in the Xbox One X being beefy enough for Odyssey, let alone the slower cores in the One/One S.

I'm guessing that:

Xbox Min Spec: Xbox One X (maybe)
Xbox Recommenced Spec: Xbox Series S|X

I first played ED on my original XB1. Loved the game (even in early access) and looking back, it ran pretty well considering the hardware. But that was based on 2013 tech and now.....I can't even see the enhanced CPU Jag-cores in the Xbox One X being beefy enough for Odyssey, let alone the slower cores in the One/One S.

I'm guessing that:

Xbox Min Spec: Xbox One X (maybe)
Xbox Recommenced Spec: Xbox Series S|X
Well, we can directly compare the minimum specs for Odyssey on PC to the Durango and Scorpio specs, and it doesn't look good for Durango..

Well, we can directly compare the minimum specs for Odyssey on PC to the Durango and Scorpio specs, and it doesn't look good for Durango..
Fair comment - but those specs are a target they are currently missing. In other words, it's speculative. Perhaps even conservative. Could change.

Another other variable is that consoles can be optimised much more tightly because of their known, fixed spec, so a direct comparison just on specs gives a skewed view.

Again, I haven't got a clue what the final console performance will be like and you are right to point out that the Jaguar CPU`s are dog slow by modern standards. Simply pointing out this is very, very hard to second guess.

Lol ... I think its rich for frontier to expect the pc owners to be paying for the honor? Of beta testing . Too many companys are doing this these days . I hope they dont screw up the graphics on horizons with the crappy dark graphics of odyssey .

I wouldn't totally count out last-gen consoles just yet, they have the advantage of being fixed-hardware for developers to code against. Frankly Odyssey is nowhere near optimized on PC, even after today's patch. Graphics wise (nu-Planet Tech apart), its nothing special compared to some first and even third-party games on consoles.

If Frontier love money, they'll find a way. The results may not be pretty on older hardware, but not everyone has a One X or Series S|X and Frontier knows this.

I would seriously start preparing yourselves to hear the news that Odyssey on consoles has been cancelled, later this year.

Im prepared for that. Im just not prepared to be told at the last minute and find out they had been hiding it for months beforehand and left me hanging. Can handle the truth however bad whether I like it or not, cant handle cow muck, cant be doing with it.

As an Xbox 1 player I would upgrade if required I've just never needed to .

Same here, the games I like that are only on Series I just say 'Oh well, ill get it sooner or later', no biggie, I dont have it now so Im not missing anything.'

Would buy Series One if I could, but cannot so, while I'll still try to find one, I made the jump to PC - gaming with an ASUS ROG 4yr old Laptop which runs Oddity just fine. Problem I'm seeing; playing on both PC and Xbox One X - they are so wrapped up in surviving this PR nightmare, they just might bail on consoles like some have. Fear talking. I see they have merged code for market commodities (PC EDO and XBOX EDH) to the point now I have to process out 50% or more of the available markets in both the market compare tool showing in the galmap, because most are just not available in EDH; and I have to use name recognition to ignore INARA planetaries, just to try and find a market to use.

Half the time I find it encouraging - they are showing us they plan to push EDO to us on XBOX, then the other half of the time the brokenness of the game on PC, which has some stunning graphic that are fun, just frustrates me. Thought I could just do EDH on both accounts and be okay, but there appears to only be one commodities code which includes all markets whether you can land and utilize them or not - this is the worst I've seen Frontier do in the short 4 years playing this game. Hope it gets better fast - may just have to return to Forza 7 and/or soon 8.

Deleted member 110222

D
Easy tiger, even the forums have a finite capacity for doom...

But seriously, you are right in as much as platform support never lasts forever, these things, and also the game itself has a finite life. However, decisions about dropping platforms are based on data. They are not emotional decisions, and right now, the entirety of this forum is awash with emotion.

Let's see where we are when the dust settles. There's a promised roadmap literally around the corner. If there's no commitment at all to console platforms there, then you might have a point.
I'm not speaking from emotion.

I am speaking from the fact that Odyssey absolutely does up the gear you need to run the game right now.

This is why I mentioned the current optimisation process. If it is still as demanding after that is done, I honestly wouldn't count on a console release, unless FD wants to pull a CDPR.

Our plan is to publish a road-map by 4th June as we continue to push forward addressing issues, including giving some details on specific improvements, building upon the fixes the team have already made.

so, even though that still reads to me like the roadmap is purely about the fixes/patches I still feel like there should be some (literally anything) mention of console in there

am I expecting too much?

Top Bottom