"Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule"

so, even though that still reads to me like the roadmap is purely about the fixes/patches I still feel like there should be some (literally anything) mention of console in there

am I expecting too much?
I'd expect a vague footnote similar to the promised ninth gen console version of CP77

at this point I'd be content with that, even if its just further confirmation of an autumn release
I don't care about any kind of confirmed release. I'm always happier with "It's ready when it's ready" and taking as long as it needs rather than arbitrary targets. Like Odyssey should also have been on PC.

I don't care about any kind of confirmed release. I'm always happier with "It's ready when it's ready" and taking as long as it needs rather than arbitrary targets. Like Odyssey should also have been on PC.
I get that

to be clear, even if it does mention an autumn release I'd still not hold to much hope of that, it's more to still be in FDevs thought processes you know?
besides, series x cyberpunk is out end of year (I believe?) so its not too much of an issue for me if it is delayed..

oow boy, so following on from the road map us consolers got a great bit of news in the continued development after the 5th update
although it reads as though its at the expense of further fixes for the pc crowd

The actual roadmap is so vague on what's being fixed, it actually feels like it's been knocked together last minute just to deliver on what Braben promised
I dunno how to feel about this, its receiving huge negativity all over, it's essentially saying the PC bought a beta and wont get the finished game until console versions are released

I feel as though it's going to be a tough few weeks ahead..

it's essentially saying the PC bought a beta and wont get the finished game until console versions are released
I said exactly this a few weeks back during the alpha. That's where I had my expectations and I haven't been disappointed. Anybody that thought this was going to be feature complete on launch was either lying to themselves or woefully out of practice with the ED development cycle.

I said exactly this a few weeks back during the alpha. That's where I had my expectations and I haven't been disappointed. Anybody that thought this was going to be feature complete on launch was either lying to themselves or woefully out of practice with the ED development cycle.
But what about that build that everyone decrying us as doomsayers insisted existed, which was MONTHS more advanced in development than the old one being used for the alpha?

But what about that build that everyone decrying us as doomsayers insisted existed, which was MONTHS more advanced in development than the old one being used for the alpha?
Frankly, I never really believed that. And if this is it, it still smacks of what a few months advance from Alpha would look like.

Listen, I've been playing since Odyssey launched. Every day. It's playable. Yes, frame rate is sketchy at times and textures pop in and out on occasion, but it's not the dumpster fire the screechers are making it out to be.

It's a beta and it will get fixed. By the time we get to console launch, all will be well. Between now and then, buckle up!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
This is what I’ve been looking at. I’m really curious if this will be a PS5/XSX only release

I don't think it will (part of me still hopes I am wrong because this game desperately needs current gen specific work, even if just to fix crashing).

FDev communication as we all know is not the best (putting it mildly) yet they haven't once here on forums, twitter or on the livestreams ever made a single reference to the current console generation PS5/XS.

Not one mention. If we are lucky we get 'consoles' and even then while the PC forum is full of 'this is just a Beta for consoles!1!1'.

It may be a 'beta' but, I don't think it's a 'beta because or for the consoles'. I think the consoles just got delayed as this would have been Cyberpunk 2077 all over again on the PlayStation store. With people demanding refunds.

Clearly this Odyssey development has been difficult. It's not going to get much easier on console apart from the benefits of fixed hardware imo.

I think most people see this as a failing of management over-promising and under-delivering to meet a deadline. As a senior dev and tech lead, I've been bitten by this myself in the past.
Core problem; probably will not be fixed - hard to change an individual's mindset, even harder (strength in numbers) to change a corporate strategy/culture.
A whole other demographic is the people they were trying to pull in with the FPS. A lot of those people will never have even heard of Elite and this is their first glimpse of the way Frontier operates. I would hazard a guess that there is a significant number of potential customers that have not only been alienated from Elite but Frontier in general.
Will have to wait and see if this audience can tolerate FDev's slow roll, doubt it, but if FDev can pull in more players it can only help the rest of us. I like the multiple options of career and game play ED provides - still have not gone bug hunting or serious exploration, but plan to someday. That said, my guess is flight sim is the real draw, so hopefully FDev will not stray too far from that. Actually waiting to plan and execute close air support for a ground attack team myself, which is the only reason I pre-ordered and tried to play EDO.
I'm quite worried about the reputational damage they're suffering/will suffer from as a result of this, because I want to continue to play Elite - it's still a lovely sandbox to spend time in, with a wide enough selection of activities to choose from, even if each of them isn't super deep on their own.
This is the scary part of this whole debacle, game survival - 4 years of serious entertainment (retired daily fun less 3 hurricanes) with global friends is seriously hard to find.
After playing Odyssey on my alt, I'm actually relieved that console is delayed. Now, we'll see if it even gets released at all on console...
Counting on Sony/Microsoft to hold FDev accountable so their release actually works. Until lately, EDH has not been seeing a lot of EDO impacts, but then I saw all the EDO stations showing in the the Commodities Market compare tool, and some "Surface Hunt" missions with scan the beacon to find the target, which suggested I'd end up with missions to planets that would never appear in my universe's galmap, but only in an EDO version. Broken game/trust, so I just keep hoping to outlast the rollout, much like I did the FC rollout, which I'm still enjoying.
Greetings Commanders,

As mentioned in David’s forum post on 25th May, we would like to share our immediate roadmap for Odyssey and talk a little more about performance and improvements as we move towards the console release later this year.

We’d like to take a moment to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while we review your reports and feedback. We’ve been working hard to address critical issues - Update 2 went live yesterday, which followed Update 1, the previous 2 hotfix updates and server and stability fixes deployed in May. We have been seeing some awesome content shining through from Odyssey, but we know there’s still work to be done to make the experience as good as it can and to further address feedback.

To that end, here’s a short summary of our immediate roadmap of updates and the key focuses within them.

• Update 3 – Thursday 10th June
    • Many improvements and fixes, including
    • Loadout UI flow changes
    • Adding earned ARX for on-foot gameplay
  • Update 4 – Thursday 17th June
    • Suit Livery UI flow changes
    • Codex CMDR stats
  • Update 5 – Thursday 24th June
    • Shared missions
    • Galaxy & system map UI updates
    • Outfitting UI updates
Each of Updates 3 to 5 will be of a similar size to Updates 1 and 2, and contain fixes and enhancements to the overall Odyssey player experience, including incremental performance issues for specific circumstances and/or system configurations.

Planetary geometry and lighting is a topic that we know is close to the hearts of many of our explorers, and is something we are looking carefully at. We will of course, continue to update you over the coming weeks as those investigations progress.

While we are expecting to see specific and targeted performance improvements in the upcoming June updates, we are also aware that development work for console will allow for even larger performance optimisations and enhancements for PC too. Therefore, we feel the best approach for all our Commanders will be to focus our development efforts after Update 5 on performance and the console release, and to bring our multi-platform community together once more, which will also allow us to bring even more global optimisation changes and updates to all Elite Dangerous Commanders.

Finally, we would also like to address the topic of communication. We are aware that many of you have been asking about greater communication, visibility and a change on how we share and update Elite Dangerous moving forward. While we do always try to give as clear a vision for the future as possible, such as Horizons or Beyond season roadmaps, we also must accept that this alone has not hit the mark. Our community have always been the beating heart of Elite Dangerous and we take the feedback very seriously. We are going to be working on new plans and initiatives that we can do to bring you even more in touch with our development progress. Starting with a monthly community update, we will highlight and share the progress that the development team have been making over that month. We will be sharing more details around this, and other initiatives, over the coming weeks.

Once again, we would like to thank you all for your patience, understanding and support as we continue to work hard to unlock the great potential of Odyssey for all Commanders.

O7
So, without a critic of the attempt to sooth us; ED is still my go to video game for entertainment and thankfully, I have a full thrustmaster race car sim seat when the bugs win and ED is unplayable. And, please Microsoft, fix your distribution problem so some of us can buy a Series X 😁 so we can play ED with improved performance/graphics on a XB.

This is what I’ve been looking at. I’m really curious if this will be a PS5/XSX only release
Not a chance. Sony has publicly stated 70% of their gaming revenue is still coming from PS4, and adjusted major releases to be cross-gen simply because there are not enough PS5 owners to justify a dedicated PS5 release.

Not a chance. Sony has publicly stated 70% of their gaming revenue is still coming from PS4, and adjusted major releases to be cross-gen simply because there are not enough PS5 owners to justify a dedicated PS5 release.
Sony and Microsoft may be making their in-house exclusives cross-gen to cater to their existing install base. However, several third party developers/publishers have released ninth-gen exclusive console games and done quite well off them, it's something you can especially afford to do if your primary revenue stream is PC sales, and you want to retain parity between your PC and console releases.

Aside from that, most development studios that are releasing cross-gen are targeting specific improvements and updates to the current-gen version. Frontier aren't doing that at all, they're simply relying on the OEM's backwards compatibility features to ensure that their Flagship DLC can run on current-gen consoles. To me, this conveys a clear message that Frontier are not willing to ensure console owners of Elite / Odyssey have the best experience possible.

Top Bottom