Console users: abandon all hope

P.S.: Mr./Madam Moderator: I was censured because I used the word "naive" in a post. I'm not using it here. Well, I use it ONCE but only as reference. So, if you gonna remove this post too, do it for something else.

I’m sure it wasn’t the word that caused you to be “censured”, I use the word ‘naive’ all the time without my posts being taken down.

Personally, while I am not happy with odyssey (it's basically unplayable for me due to excessive temperature increases with my video card in excess of 30c), I think it has a lot of potential, but is currently, so bare bones, and lacking in any real content, that it needs a lot of work. Maybe FDev is just lacking in creativity, or they have a vision, but have a long way to go before they can actually deliver on it. I don't know. But my personal feeling is Odyssey shouldn't have been released in the state it is currently in. That was a major mistake by FDev (and at least they admitted it, I'll give them props for that). If they need help with creative vision, I have tons of ideas for stuff they could do that would fit perfectly within the game, and though I am not a creative coder, I think the engine could handle some of my ideas with minimal additional code because they'd fit right in with current structures etc.

Sure I was furious with FDev when they first dropped Odyssey on us. But you gotta admit, they've been busting their humps trying to fix things and make things work right. I'd love to actually be able to load odyssey on anything other than potato mode w/o having my gpu temps hit 90c. I can run Horizons on ultra (I don't though), and not hit those temps, so optimization is def needed, and it seems to me that FDev is TRYING to regain momentum that they lost with the Odyssey release.

So. I'm taking a stand back and wait and see view on all this. I'm hoping my hope isn't misplaced, but we'll see.

I feel you all, but I really like Odyssey.
Sure. There are things I don't like about Odyssey, like the huge grind for suit, and weapon, upgrades and mods, and a somewhat horrible UI (there also some good things in the UI, but not that many).
And there are also some bugs, which I don't encounter all that often. But I am enjoying it enough to spend around 8 hours (sometimes more) every day playing it.

The way their update reads to me sounds like they are, very wisely, planning on delaying the console release. Considering they don't even seem to fully know what is causing most of the technical issues, I see it very unlikely Odyssey will meet their original plans for being console ready by this year.

Not a coder or anything but I'm going to go out on a limb here . . . {deep breath}

All of us players were screaming for months and months: "We want space legs" and "We want atmospheric landings." I'm under the impression that someone said "Why not both?" and did that.

My take is that they should have done legs first (because you can use that without atmosphere), smooth that out, then add atmospheric landings. Both could have been "Odyssey." Instead they tried to do both to make EVERYONE happy and ended up making NO ONE happy (well most of us were unhappy with it since there ARE a number of people that are happy with it to some extent).

I'm also under the impression that they just let things sit while doing Jurassic World, Planet Zoo, etc and then RUSHED Odyssey (one must admit that with all the bugs and poor coding reported by people that understand that sort of thing, it DOES appear like it was done in a rush and at the last minute).

Personally, I would have been happy if they had created Odyssey with just legs first or atmospheric landings first as long as it was done right the first time. You always expect bugs, but not like this.

Conclusion: Because we, the players, demanded both legs and atmospheric landings so much, and FD tried to give us both at the same time, it's TJ's fault.

Last edited:
Sure I was furious with FDev when they first dropped Odyssey on us. But you gotta admit, they've been busting their humps trying to fix things and make things work right. I'd love to actually be able to load odyssey on anything other than potato mode w/o having my gpu temps hit 90c. I can run Horizons on ultra (I don't though), and not hit those temps, so optimization is def needed, and it seems to me that FDev is TRYING to regain momentum that they lost with the Odyssey release.
There is never enough time to do it right the first time.
There always appears to be enough time to do it right the second, third, fourth and fifth times, though.

I feel you all, but I really like Odyssey.
Sure. There are things I don't like about Odyssey, like the huge grind for suit, and weapon, upgrades and mods, and a somewhat horrible UI (there also some good things in the UI, but not that many).
And there are also some bugs, which I don't encounter all that often. But I am enjoying it enough to spend around 8 hours (sometimes more) every day playing it.
Damn, 8 hrs a day? Do you have a job? A gf/bf?

Damn, 8 hrs a day? Do you have a job? A gf/bf?
Nope. I've been retired for years, but I am married, with adult children though. My wife lets me play as much as I want to, unless it interferes with any of our plans (not a lot of plans at the moment due to COVID-19). :D
I would prefer it to be delayed a bit, rather than be the same buggy mess that pc users are experiencing.
Although Fdev do seem to be on top of fixing bugs now.
I'm not finding it that buggy. I've had a few more errors after todays patch, than I have had over the last 4 or 5 days. :oops:

Deleted member 38366

D
I have to admit Oddity(tm) so far doesn't bring much to the table.

I'd be less concerned if there were several major Content Updates scheduled for its future and an actual Roadmap pinned in the News area already detailing them.
  • new SRVs
  • new Ships
  • new Gameplay (EVA, Planetary Mining Operations, Salvage becoming a real profession offering opportunities, multiple additional Gameplay layers for Exobiology and other on-foot activities [more depth], optional Colonization of Players, Planetary Base Construction, stuff like that)
  • Carrier Concourses + Bridge, added on-foot areas and offices for Faction, Power, SuperPower representatives
  • a series of long-requested QOL changes + additions

Alas, there isn't.

Even if bugfixed and performance-tuned & optimized, there's nothing there right now to fill the gaping content potholes that beg to be filled.
It's not that there wasn't any room for nice new content to make good use of the available potential - there's tons of potential... there's just noone around at FDev that wants to invest and capitalize upon it to make this a real thing and help it stand out.

I have to admit Oddity(tm) so far doesn't bring much to the table.

I'd be less concerned if there were several major Content Updates scheduled for its future and an actual Roadmap pinned in the News area already detailing them.
  • new SRVs
  • new Ships
  • new Gameplay (EVA, Planetary Mining Operations, Salvage becoming a real profession offering opportunities, multiple additional Gameplay layers for Exobiology and other on-foot activities [more depth], optional Colonization of Players, Planetary Base Construction, stuff like that)
  • Carrier Concourses + Bridge, added on-foot areas and offices for Faction, Power, SuperPower representatives
  • a series of long-requested QOL changes + additions

Alas, there isn't.

Even if bugfixed and performance-tuned & optimized, there's nothing there right now to fill the gaping content potholes that beg to be filled.
It's not that there wasn't any room for nice new content to make good use of the available potential - there's tons of potential... there's just noone around at FDev that wants to invest and capitalize upon it to make this a real thing and help it stand out.
Well, I have to agree that the expansion that brought us game play we can do on foot didn't bring us a lot of gameplay for vehicles, ships and fleet carriers or Bob the builder. So there's no argument from me on that front and Odyssey definitely let us down on the content not specifically related to on foot stuff.

Top Bottom