Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Today, in its current iteration, we’re happy with how the FSS operates and feel that reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now.
Yay \o/

(not that your message will stop the deniers :D )

The FSS is indeed pretty good, my only issue is with finding some mission targets, where it is still impossible via the FSS and a Nav Beacon scan is required - but I don't think the deniers have even got that far :ROFLMAO:

Yay \o/

(not that your message will stop the deniers :D )

The FSS is indeed pretty good, my only issue is with finding some mission targets, where it is still impossible via the FSS and a Nav Beacon scan is required - but I don't think the deniers have even got that far :ROFLMAO:

I think that's a bug that's been partially fixed over the last week or so - you can find the USS now but it's empty until you visit the nav beacon.

In your opinion...
I seem to recall the exact opposite being said, in this very thread, don't you?

I can't understand why you wish to nay-say the lead developer when it is in plain-speak that the ADS is not coming back - does he have to explain it further?

Because the 3.3 update changes were applied to a long standing game & not being developed for a new title not already bought by customers.

This removal of an existing feature without justification is unprecedented in ED afaik, there is no technical or balancing reason for their removal. I have been saying just this clear and simple point since November and would like to know what the reasoning is.

This is not a problem that is going to go away through inaction.

Last edited:
I think that's a bug that's been partially fixed over the last week or so - you can find the USS now but it's empty until you visit the nav beacon.
I tend to be able to find mission USS (and they have always worked fine) - sometimes they are a pain if they are around a planet, as you need to zoom in on the planet before it hints at the location, which is a bit meh. More an issue with surface missions IIRC, sometimes they won't show even if you re-FSS the whole system 🤷‍♀️

I tend to be able to find mission USS (and they have always worked fine) - sometimes they are a pain if they are around a planet, as you need to zoom in on the planet before it hints at the location, which is a bit meh. More an issue with surface missions IIRC, sometimes they won't show even if you re-FSS the whole system 🤷‍♀️

Being a pain to resolve at a distance is just a regular feature not a bug. I have had plenty over the past few months where no orange USS was to be found in the FSS Scanner Screen, over the past week or so I have had none I could not find, but most were empty (eta thinking about it they were all assasinations, I haven't done a black box or commercial samples mission that I can remember in the past week).

The ones I am describing are the type where the location is described as something like 'shipping lane between planets 4 & 7'.

The FSS is a part of the process but I don't think it's a bug with the FSS itself, just the mission templates.

Last edited:
"but also understood that it would not be possible to design a system that would work for everyone." So why do it then?
"Today, in its current iteration, we’re happy with how the FSS operates and feel that reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now."

But you're perfectly happy for some of us to have a detrimental experience even though you knew it?

What a complete load of mealy mouthed bunk!

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Hello Commanders,

I wanted to drop in and let you that we have been reading your comments and are aware how some of you feel about the FSS.

When first designing the FSS, we wanted to ensure that it was engaging for as many different player types as possible, but also understood that it would not be possible to design a system that would work for everyone. Before the FSS was implemented, we also collected feedback from discussions on the forum and the beta.

Today, in its current iteration, we’re happy with how the FSS operates and feel that reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now.

At the current time, we won’t be making changes to the core of the FSS. While we understand that this may be disappointing for some of you, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us.

Thanks for the information Adam. A dev reponse with a firm stance/decision is most welcomed on the forums! Please visit more often show yourself more ;)

I personally enjoy the FSS in it's current forum, it adds more depth to the game and exploration mechanics. Happy that you're not planning to change it anytime soon!

The FSS experience could be immensely improved if it were applied to an Orrery view, instead of a 2D map. That way, you can get a 'feel' of the system you are in.

This is actually excellent suggestion!

Hello Commanders,

I wanted to drop in and let you that we have been reading your comments and are aware how some of you feel about the FSS.

When first designing the FSS, we wanted to ensure that it was engaging for as many different player types as possible, but also understood that it would not be possible to design a system that would work for everyone. Before the FSS was implemented, we also collected feedback from discussions on the forum and the beta.

At the current time, we won’t be making changes to the core of the FSS. While we understand that this may be disappointing for some of you, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us.

Closure, thankyou!

Also, just some feedback on the communication, its taken, what 700 pages or so for a response that would have saved alot of passion towards elite if it had been simply stated immediately during the beta. If you guys sit around the coffee table or over a ciggy break and actually care about your company as is very easy to do as developers, hope you can muse on that for a bit.

Id honestly suggest not calling them beta's and more of stress / volume testing so everyone can be clear and upstanding in the future.

Last edited:
Closure, thankyou!

Also, just some feedback on the communication, its taken, what 700 pages or so for a response that would have saved alot of passion towards elite if it had been simply stated immediately during the beta. If you guys sit around the coffee table or over a ciggy break and actually care about your company as is very easy to do as developers, hope you can muse on that for a bit.

Id honestly suggest not calling them beta's and more of stress / volume testing so everyone can be clear and upstanding in the future.

I think it's good that they gave the system time to 'bed in' before they gave a definitive opinion on whether they should bring back the ADS. However, a statement could have been made 6 months ago to indicate that they were reviewing the feedback, which would have been helpful, I believe.

Obviously, I think this is a bad decision by FDev, but rather than ragequitting I'm off to consider improvements to the FSS which increase its flexibility, without altering the core minigame-ness if it ;)

The FSS experience could be immensely improved if it were applied to an Orrery view, instead of a 2D map. That way, you can get a 'feel' of the system you are in.

The FSS Scanner Screen isn't a 2D map, except in the sense that it is projected onto your monitor. If you travel out of the system plane in supercruise before entering the FSS Scanner Screen you'll see the system from a different viewpoint. Being able to freely move the POV around the system (as you can with the orrery) certainly would help to get a picture of the system layout, but I was happy enough to do this with orbit lines switched on & an ADS to provide targetable bodies. The FSS Scanner Screen does effectively mask the sense of scale though, in the same way that on initial arrival into a system all stars look about the same size & distance away from your drop-in location.

Last edited:
Hello Commanders,

THANK YOU! Both for posting on the topic at all and for the content of the post, I'm glad ADS is not coming back. I hope we can stop the endless and useless debates on the topic.

Thanks for confirming. Still don’t know why you couldn’t have an optional ads module but hey ho at least we now know the crap’s here to stay.

I’ll expect i’ll check out next year’s ‘exciting’ new stuff but until then - and perhaps afterwards too - i’ll give ED a miss.

THANK YOU! Both for posting on the topic at all and for the content of the post, I'm glad ADS is not coming back. I hope we can stop the endless and useless debates on the topic.

Putting the old modules back in will have no effect on how you choose to explore and minimal effect on the influence others have over your play, you will simply have more options available to you. Removing that functionality has needlessly had a significant detrimental effect on how many play a game they already own.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Adam.

I never liked the original ADS from the moment it was first introduced and genuinely enjoy using the new FSS so thank you. I've done more exploring in the last few months than since original beta.

However, I would also add that it wouldn't make any difference to me if the FSS and ADS were to co-exist, it wouldn't feel detrimental. I think it was Ziggy that first explained in a way I understood what they'd be losing and I sympathise.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom