Good morning everyone. I have played the CQC gamemode a few times, and I have a few suggestions on how to make it a more integrated experience of the main game modes, in order to increase its activity and usefulness.

- Make it accessible from all larger spacestations, i.e a button beneath "mission board" in the starport services menu. By doing this you'll have the gamemode more readily available, without hopping between gamemodes.
- Perhaps you could earn local faction reputation at the spacestations? i.e. choose a faction you wish to earn reputation with and get reputation based on wins/damage done. If the local faction is allied with the federation, empire or alliance then the rep could also go towards ranking up their rep along with navy rank?
- If you've pledged yourself to one of the power play characters, perhaps you could earn progress towards ranks with CQC from their home systems?
-By winning a round you could get a bit more credits, while the top player could get rare materials or data for engineering?
- Add an engineer with all modules at i.e grade 1-3 which requires a certain CQC rank ( amongst other things) to unlock? CQC is maybe the only part of the game that you do not need to try out to unlock engineers at the moment, which is a shame, really.
- Have CQC events, sort of like we're space gladiators and can choose that as a career. This might even reduce the amount of mindless griefing and ganking..perhaps.
- Add more ships with different loadouts, keep them small ofc, but perhaps with more different playstyles? high damage vs high shields vs high mobility etc?
- Adding some new gamemodes and maps might be a good idea as it increases in popularity?
- In time, you could arrange ranked matches with global rankings and rewards, i.e. special decals, weapon and engine colours, merchandise, in game title, etc.

These suggestions would make CQC an integrated part of the game, rather than the standalone gamemode it is now (with a rank system in the main game for some reason). I could definetly see it as a great arena for learning pvp for the majority of the playerbase. I'd love to see CQC granted a larger part of the game than it is now and having space gladiators as a viable careerpath to unlocking content in the different parts of the base game we all love.

CMDR Shadowsock signing off...

I suggest a 5 vs 5 competitive matches, better with ranking and rewards( Add-ons to Main Game maybe? or just for CQC )
A type of survivor matches like last man standing would be great too.

Forgot one thing i was wondering some time ago, CQC as a Dungeon, a signal source so people make wings and get inside the signal to fight for a mission reward or any other goal , sounds good too. Get the CQC inside the main game looks really interesting imo.

Good Thread
Thanks
CMDR T1M40

Last edited:
- Make it accessible from all larger spacestations, i.e a button beneath "mission board" in the starport services menu. By doing this you'll have the gamemode more readily available, without hopping between gamemodes.
- Perhaps you could earn local faction reputation at the spacestations? i.e. choose a faction you wish to earn reputation with and get reputation based on wins/damage done.

You had me this far. Not hating the rest but foresee problems and things people would complain about. You'd have to take explorers into consideration, so Arena would still have to be a stand alone thing but if it could also be accessed from in game then that'd be cool. Higher reward payouts are a must. Nobody is going to get rich or earn an A-Rated Anaconda from CQC so why not give them a little boost. After all, most people I've played CQC with didn't even realise they were earning credits, it's actually that low.

Last edited:

I think this would cause technical issues, they are different modes because they have different assets. However, a way to switch modes to CQC and back without having to quit to menu is still an improvement.

- Add more ships with different loadouts, keep them small ofc, but perhaps with more different playstyles? high damage vs high shields vs high mobility etc?

I don't think this would be practical to balance, without limiting games to a small, balanced selection of ships. The whole point of CQC is to take away the loadout meta and allow players to bring flight skill to bear, with too much variation this might lose that concept. We also have to bear in mind that some people bought Arena as standalone, so too much variety might confuse them early in their experience. If a greater variety of ships were introduced, but gathered into groups of similar average capabilities, that could add variety without making it too much to balance, with standalone Arena players able to slowly "rank up" to use some of the other small ships.

Overall I agree. I would also like to add that introducing AIs to fill out lobbies would help make the mode more playable and reduce the fatigue players experience in trying to find a game. I spoke to MoM about this and she agreed (although she said the AI would have to be dialled down to give us 'oomans a chance lol).

Make this happen:

1)why fight only in space, make a map on a planet, dog-fighting through a canyon.

2)Add SRV races in CQC

3)Add ship racing in space but on planets as well, through canyons again

Last edited:
Don't agree with Engineers, as CQC is a great place for any players to meet on a (semi) level playing field as it stands. In the same thinking, I think that the 4 ships available are probably enough.
The biggest issues with CQC and the most complaints that I have come across is the time it can take to join a match.

Suggestions (from me) would have to include:
1. Somewhere in the Lobby where players can see how many matches are already being played and how full or empty they are>
2. An option to start a match with a minimum number of NPC's involved if required (after waiting a set period of time without a match) - these could then fail to re-spawn after other players join the match.
3, Improved comms in-lobby & in-game.
4. I do like the idea of Decals etc. being transferable between main game and CQC.
5. More credits towards the main game would be nice......

I do like the thought of perhaps adding an Arena for SRV battles - that could be quite cool, especially if, like the main CQC arenas, there was a little variety, and you go from one match in Light gravity to one in heavier gravity etc.

Agree with some of those. Especially in game access, and better rewards. The idea of having Events, Tournaments is probably the best idea there. Like CGs in the live game. I'd also like to see:

1. The Tiapan fighter has been in game since the Commanders update. Come on Fdev, why is it not in CQC?
2. Events, Tournaments. With prizes like decals or paint jobs. Do like the idea of rare mats as a reward. Anything that gives in game intransitives to CQC.
3. SRV Racing. It's already an in game thing with some groups. Why not add some CQC courses with power ups and such. Bet it would bring in some players.
4. Canyon Racing. Again, groups doing self organized events already in game. CQC could really benefit from this addition with custom courses and powerups. This said, it has to be stock ships, as is usually the rule with in game groups that do it.
5. An open class Arena, with no ranking, just PvP fun, that allows you to bring your in game ships into a CQC arena. Again, no ranking on this one, just PvP close quarters fun with the ships you worked hard to build in game. Think this would be attractive, especially for groups.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd love to see rewards carry over to the main game. Not sure about the Engineer only accessible with a specific rank in CQC but increasing the rewards would be good.

- Adding materials to rewards would be great. Higher finish gives better materials etc.
- I think aligning to a faction to increase rep would be cool.
- Games are too short IMO, I'd like to have them expanded a little.
- Perhaps some cosmetic skins could be unlocked through play.
- Planetary environments would be very cool.

Going forward it would be great to see some wave/horde style co-op modes.

I suggest they get rid of the current way you log into CQC and make it part of the Main Game. Have select Starports in select Systems that offer the CQC.

You request docking, land, enter hanger, starport system menu should offer a CQC tab. You click it, screen changes to the CQC menu, blah, blah, blah, when you load back in, you're in a fighter of your choice and awaiting the match to begin like normal.

I'm no game dev by any means, sooooooo.... but how hard could it be? And I believe making it part of the Main Game would make it much more attractive to all players.
All awards would be kept since its still part of the Main Game. Wings could group up together in matches. Join the side of a certain FACTION or POWER in the CQC to gain Rep with said FACTION or POWER.
You could buy fighters and keep at the starport, or use the fighter you have in your ships fighter hanger.

Hell, maybe they could work in a way for other CMDRs to watch in on the matches and make bets on the outcome of the match. IDK, that's just a lil added bonus I'd like to see. Im sure other CMDRs have other ideas as well.

Top Bottom