PvP Current PVP meta...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Make sure one of you gets video, it's rare to see the challenge accepted and resolved in a matter of 24 hours. :)

Besieger, what do you fly?

Make sure one of you gets video, it's rare to see the challenge accepted and resolved in a matter of 24 hours. :)

Besieger, what do you fly?

I fly anything I have at the time, normally a clipper though. I can record and upload if you want to see the fight.

Please, if you don't mind. It's another unusual thing ot have footage from both sides, and I know Algomatic will record it. Thanks guys, good luck to you both, may the best griefer win!

Yeah man, couldnt be online some RL crap, tonight for sure, around 4am game time.

I am at the CG

Good fight!

Unfortunately I forgot to press record...

unknown.png

Yo, I'm getting close to achieving my main solo goals from this game, so I've started thinking about building a FDL and joining or forming a player group to protect non-combat ships at CGs, etc. General white-knighting...

So this post while phrased like statements, is actually a series of questions, tell me if I'm making bad assumptions or am totally wrong or whatever.

So current pvp meta is pretty much FDL, since I don't like flying battle whales.

So, about shields and weapons...there's a chicken and egg thing going on here (as it should be, of course).

It seems efficient PAs are the go-to weapon for reasons of DPE (damage per energy) and the bypassing of resistances. However, knowing that, wouldn't current pvpers have gone for for MJ over resistance? And in that case, wouldn't I do better running efficient beams for the massive thermal damage?

I was thinking I'd pack a Huge Efficient gimballed Beam for popping SLFs and anyone running pure MJ with no regard to resistances, and 4 Medium Efficient PAs for hulls and those with resistances.

For shields I was going to run a 5A G5 thermal resist with 2 thermal resist boosters, 1 kinetic resist booster, 2 heavy duty boosters and a point defence (for mines/torps).

Lastly, in the FDL which has such great shields AND great speed, is it worth running reactive composites and HRPs? I plan to do a Brave Sir Robin as soon as my shields go down, and with 500mps boost I should be able to, so why would I bother weighing down my ship, reducing speed and maneuverability for armor, which if I'm using, means I've already lost?

Anything else worth knowing about current meta?

Shame I saw this now. Feel free to check out Cobra Kai. We do that too but in a number of ways from small ships that disrupt (mosquitoes), Couriers to mine lay and put up a fight (wasps) to proper combat ships (Birds of Prey). Pretty loose and friendly Discord without any fuss or rank nonsense. If you're interested, here's an invite:
https://discord.gg/a9dxjA

Ozram, not too late for anything, I'm still a couple weeks aways from pressing 'Open' for the first time (not literally the first time of course, lol, figuratively speaking), I'll check it out, thanks.

Grats besieger, thanks for the upload algo, I'll check it out on my phone at lunchtime (corp youtube block).

Please, if you don't mind. It's another unusual thing ot have footage from both sides, and I know Algomatic will record it. Thanks guys, good luck to you both, may the best griefer win!

Look at this, you are interacting with no issues with the most notorious murder hobo in the game. :)

If you haven't yet, you should (re)consider GCI. It is a great place to learn. Hell, it is also a great place to learn the names of all the griefers.

Looking forward to seeing you out there.

Also, on your plan to protect traders. I think you'll find it hard to do. The game doesn't really make it possible. Other than fighting the wanted players so they are distracted.

Look at this, you are interacting with no issues with the most notorious murder hobo in the game. :)

If you haven't yet, you should (re)consider GCI. It is a great place to learn. Hell, it is also a great place to learn the names of all the griefers.

Looking forward to seeing you out there.

Also, on your plan to protect traders. I think you'll find it hard to do. The game doesn't really make it possible. Other than fighting the wanted players so they are distracted.

I know who he is, I don't waste my energy hating. I campaign for a PVE mode because of guys like Mr Potter, but I will never tell them how to play their game they have paid for and (largely) use within the rules as defined by Frontier. I completely get that victims are 'their content', they get a kick out of making people think twice before going out in the OPEN galaxy, unarmed and unskilled, and feed off the pointless hate directed at them when they post a video of their latest hapless victim who pressed th wrong button on the main menu. And again I'm fine with that.

If I want to DO something about it, if I want to FEEL like I did my best, I need to challenge them on those terms.

You will have seen me write in the past, if you don't want to be griefed, don't play in open. It really is THAT simple. If this were a game where you couldn't get away from them, that would be something else, but it isn't.

The trader protection thing, I know, it's just a bit of RP, what I really want to do is get out there and try to kill the killers, test my skills against the skilled and learn. As any true fighter (not strategist) will tell you, it's not always important to win the fight, it's often enough to give a better opponent a good fight and take away your lessons.

I will be reconsidering all the recommendations in this thread, and checking out all the communities I've been invited to (several via PM), thank you all very much for the help. Look forward to seeing you out there too, don't hold your breath though, I'm OCD about not undertaking a task until I feel fully prepared, and yes, I fully expect that when I think I'm fully prepared....I'm probably hopelessly NOT.

Last edited:
I'm OCD about not undertaking a task until I feel fully prepared, and yes, I fully expect that when I think I'm fully prepared....I'm probably hopelessly NOT.

On this note, not sure how much engineering you are doing, but you're gonna get hit with a pretty decent grind. I'd say don't go too nuts on trying to get the "perfect" rolls or you'll go mad/never get out there. Go for good enough at first.

I didn't see these posted earlier in the thread (although I might have missed them), but these are also good references:

From GCI -

Build Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yjvG-t28upd2YY_S5Q7IRz-Htnu668KnAQL4isZGU3w/edit

Engineer Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5Arvki8W_ql42sKCuID2QFBxrYB-k0gIeIqwgVEuSE/edit

From Adle's Armada -

Build Guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_nhy1CKrnCUUpCZDZqVXRtOWc/view

And fighting other players is a whole different world compared to fighting NPC.

Good luck on your build, may Palin take mercy on you.

I know who he is, I don't waste my energy hating. I campaign for a PVE mode because of guys like Mr Potter, but I will never tell them how to play their game they have paid for and (largely) use within the rules as defined by Frontier. I completely get that victims are 'their content', they get a kick out of making people think twice before going out in the OPEN galaxy, unarmed and unskilled, and feed off the pointless hate directed at them when they post a video of their latest hapless victim who pressed th wrong button on the main menu. And again I'm fine with that.

If I want to DO something about it, if I want to FEEL like I did my best, I need to challenge them on those terms.

You will have seen me write in the past, if you don't want to be griefed, don't play in open. It really is THAT simple. If this were a game where you couldn't get away from them, that would be something else, but it isn't.

The trader protection thing, I know, it's just a bit of RP, what I really want to do is get out there and try to kill the killers, test my skills against the skilled and learn. As any true fighter (not strategist) will tell you, it's not always important to win the fight, it's often enough to give a better opponent a good fight and take away your lessons.

I will be reconsidering all the recommendations in this thread, and checking out all the communities I've been invited to (several via PM), thank you all very much for the help. Look forward to seeing you out there too, don't hold your breath though, I'm OCD about not undertaking a task until I feel fully prepared, and yes, I fully expect that when I think I'm fully prepared....I'm probably hopelessly NOT.

Guy has a point though. You want to learn pvp meta, GCI is the place.
https://discord.gg/6mqUDz
Invite expires in 24 hrs.

A rated sensors. your preference in engineers. Just make sure they are A rated.

Please motivate this? :) D-rated modded for long range is generally both lighter of weight, draws far less power and gives more sensor range than A-rated stock sensors. On a shield build the slightly lower integrity isn't going to be much of an issue either.

Please motivate this? :) D-rated modded for long range is generally both lighter of weight, draws far less power and gives more sensor range than A-rated stock sensors. On a shield build the slightly lower integrity isn't going to be much of an issue either.

On my ships I use D rated with the long range sensor modification. Seeing out to 13+km is quite useful. It adds weight though so I don't recommend it for A sensors as it makes them very heavy.

On this note, not sure how much engineering you are doing, but you're gonna get hit with a pretty decent grind. I'd say don't go too nuts on trying to get the "perfect" rolls or you'll go mad/never get out there. Go for good enough at first.

I didn't see these posted earlier in the thread (although I might have missed them), but these are also good references:

From GCI -

Build Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yjvG-t28upd2YY_S5Q7IRz-Htnu668KnAQL4isZGU3w/edit

Engineer Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5Arvki8W_ql42sKCuID2QFBxrYB-k0gIeIqwgVEuSE/edit

From Adle's Armada -

Build Guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_nhy1CKrnCUUpCZDZqVXRtOWc/view

And fighting other players is a whole different world compared to fighting NPC.

Good luck on your build, may Palin take mercy on you.

I'm fully prepared for the grind, been stocking up on Tungsten and Core Dynamics Composites. If you're interested in my plan for the engineering , here it is...

1) Reactive bulkheads with G5 thermal resist and enough explosive bonus to get the resists as close to 16% for all as feasible, over will be cream, I expect this to take at least 50 rolls.
2) Reinforced power plant, I'll just do 20 rolls on this and take the best I get, think about improving it down the line if necessary
3) G5 DD - This is the bad boy. I'll go with 100 rolls and see what happens, but this is never 'done', I will be rerolling this forever, I know.
4) Charge Enhanced PD - 50 rolls take the best and improve it down the line, cos I need to focus on the armor...
5) 2 x 5D HRP and 2 x 4D HRP, 2 x 2D HRP, that's 6 parts, with probably an average 40 rolls each just to be acceptable, that's a lot of mats, so I'm going to need some luck. I am focusing on mats collecting at the moment for these and I figure I will go with 100 rolls total (got 50 already), mainly due to material storage issues. That will mean about 15 rolls each, which won't be enough to max all of them, but maybe I'll get lucky on a couple. Anyway, mats collection for these isn't too bad, I can do it all in Deciat, which is a 2nd home to me. G5 HD on all puts me WELL into the realm of diminishing returns with 56% resist to all. I think I'll end up fractionally better than that in the end because 'good' rolls in the game are 'better' than 'best' rolls on coriolis. 58% overall resists will make m a happy camper to get started.
6) Then it's the weapons which are less critical, and besides, I still haven't decided what weapons to use yet. I don't think I'm good enough to go PAs and Rails exclusively straight away, I'll experiment (sic: get killed until I find something that works)

Last edited:
On my ships I use D rated with the long range sensor modification. Seeing out to 13+km is quite useful. It adds weight though so I don't recommend it for A sensors as it makes them very heavy.

This is what I was going to do as well, I've never fitted A sensors to a ship. Let me take this opportunity to confirm once and for all...

Do A rated sensors affect 'micro-gimballing' of fixed rails at long range? Do they affect the speed, accuracy or jitter of regular gimbals, as has been stated and refuted multiple times? I won't be using any gimbals at all I don't think, I was just curious. FWIW, I believe from what I've read that sensors affected gimbals at one time, but no longer do...??

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom