Game Discussions Cyberpunk 2077 - official gameplay

Every engine has its own strengths and weaknesses, as can be seen pretty definitively in EA's efforts to use Frostbite for all sorts of stuff that it needed to be completely reworked to handle, with them eventually giving up and allowing studios like Respawn to work in UE4 on titles that engine is better suited to.

Yeah, I guess you're correct, I just wondered why they wanted to change at all, if RE was a better engine, I guess that visually RE is miles ahead and in other departments UE is ahead?
UE5 is now ahead of RE visually, thanks to its superb infinite tessellation system. They can cram a lot more 3D details into any scene without worrying about performance, which is a huge thing really, as with all other 3D engines this requires a lot of work to optimize. Lighting is on par both have path tracing and such (one could argue that UE5 has a few tricks too that dont exist in RE).
CP2077 is one of the best looking games mainly thanks to the artists at CDPR who did a fantastic job on 3D assets and textures.
But differences aside what's more important for CDPR is all that R&D effort has been done by Epic and this huge amount of time has been absorbed by an external party - they can focus on delivering a game on top of that engine, and not get into road blocks because of their own internal engine limitations. This clears a lot of uncertainty about the project timeline and budget.

Redengine still scales up much better to take advantage of things like more threads, so performance-wise it's a BEAST compared to UE when it comes to taking advantage of better hardware, though I expect the fact UE has had a lot more tailoring to its optimisation for console hardware is very appealing after CP77. Again though, an area Epic are working on after the absolute farce that was UE4 on PC.

Last edited:
UE5.4 will be the multi thread improvement patch (as discussed in the video posted in the UE5 thread recently). Performance wise it's hard to tell without an apples to apples comparison as scenes in UE5 tend to use Nanite and such while RE has nothing similar to help it so scenes have to be prepared in a different way. Also yeah there's a more fine tuning available in UE5 for mid-range GPU and consoles that's not available to RE. Lumen is such an example and makes a lot of difference in performance. Again UE5 toolkit here comes as more complete, maybe with a bit of legacy from previous versions (shader compilation..) but it's a beast of an engine. As a developer I'd pick that over anything else today if I had to start a new project.

I am also enjoying all the secondary mission gigs I can. Many of them develop into full mini stories on themselves. Just about finished the last one for Mr Hands in DogTown, in this one you get to act as a pure mafia "godfather" from a Colombian cartel :LOL:
Is that before or after Kurt is killed?

Ahh ok then I did that mission, yeah that's a good side quest I hoped it would evolve more but haven't seen more in that direction, there is actually 4 endings for that one, you can leave
with both surviving the final talk at his woke.

Redengine still scales up much better to take advantage of things like more threads, so performance-wise it's a BEAST compared to UE when it comes to taking advantage of better hardware, though I expect the fact UE has had a lot more tailoring to its optimisation for console hardware is very appealing after CP77. Again though, an area Epic are working on after the absolute farce that was UE4 on PC.
One of the paches turned CP2077 into a glitch fest. The game wasn't perfect at launch, but the first or second patch made the game unplayable. I had constantly far away vegetation glitch through LoS obstructions and frequent crashes where none were before. If you get a worse experience with patches that doesn't really induce much confidence in the underlying tech.

I just want to share this because well it's funny and really hit the nail why immersion is important and how to achieve it, yes I guess the Engine is a part of it but
in my opinion it's more how the scene is made.

now this next one is more hardcore clubbing in CP so hence the spoiler.

I just want to share this because well it's funny and really hit the nail why immersion is important and how to achieve it, yes I guess the Engine is a part of it but
in my opinion it's more how the scene is made.

now this next one is more hardcore clubbing in CP so hence the spoiler.
Angry Joes review had the clubs of Mass Effect in comparison. I think the music is on par but the animations, yea. I don't mind much, I just go there to listen to the muzak and fake some dance moves, but the dancers are pretty sad. Especially comparing with Vampire Masquerade.

Angry Joes review had the clubs of Mass Effect in comparison. I think the music is on par but the animations, yea. I don't mind much, I just go there to listen to the muzak and fake some dance moves, but the dancers are pretty sad. Especially comparing with Vampire Masquerade.
Vampire I didn't play, but CP is good enough to get immersed, I find it very hard in SF, also in CP there are several clubs, I mean only Neon got one, at least they could have made some effort to make it a bit more immersive than what we got, you can't even dance there like in CP. if you need your immersive gene stimulated CP is just better if you ask me, I find it very difficult to really immerse myself in SF, skyrim was a lot better in that department. Night City, is maybe one of the most immersive cities I have played in for a long time, i find it even better than the cities in GTA, only RDR2 towns are more detailed in many ways.

Last edited:
I remember the first time I found Totentanz, I was wandering around Watson prior to going and doing the heist, and just found this big X on a wall, strolled in, saw some folks having a smoke as one of them played a guitar, found the lift and went up, and was just like "Oh, THESE are my people"

I like that there's even the balcony outside (Hell of a view of the skyline) that folks are taking time out on. Really took me back to some nights out in my 20s.

VTM bloodlines definitely had some solid clubs though.

I remember the first time I found Totentanz, I was wandering around Watson prior to going and doing the heist, and just found this big X on a wall, strolled in, saw some folks having a smoke as one of them played a guitar, found the lift and went up, and was just like "Oh, THESE are my people"

I like that there's even the balcony outside (Hell of a view of the skyline) that folks are taking time out on. Really took me back to some nights out in my 20s.

VTM bloodlines definitely had some solid clubs though.
Yeah, Totentanz is an "authentic" place in the world.

Totentanz
Yeah that place is sick lol, I think there is about 10 bars/clubs in CP2077 those I visited was really nice, I didn't go much into the lore of the game at launch but after 2.0 I starting to get more into it, and man there is a lot to digest, they could make movies and TV shows with all that lore, but that would require good writers and the entertainment industry (main stream) don't have any. Maybe CDPR could hire some and supervise it?

Yeah that place is sick lol, I think there is about 10 bars/clubs in CP2077 those I visited was really nice, I didn't go much into the lore of the game at launch but after 2.0 I starting to get more into it, and man there is a lot to digest, they could make movies and TV shows with all that lore, but that would require good writers and the entertainment industry (main stream) don't have any. Maybe CDPR could hire some and supervise it?
Pretty sure the franchise belongs to Pondsmith who invented the table top RPG. Or Talsorian, the publisher.

I think CDPR got the right to the CP trademark, I can't see who actually own the IP.

edit:

just found this;
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cyberpunk-2077-live-action-cd-projeckt-red-1235609650/
Interestingly the Talsorian page lists also a Witcher TTRPG in their line-up. I smell a cross-deal. CP Red is the current rulebook version from 2020. It was planned to launch alongside to maximise awareness. How far CDPR can market I can't tell but my guess is there is some shared success for both - they just can't do what they want with the franchise in every case.

Interestingly the Talsorian page lists also a Witcher TTRPG in their line-up. I smell a cross-deal. CP Red is the current rulebook version from 2020. It was planned to launch alongside to maximise awareness. How far CDPR can market I can't tell but my guess is there is some shared success for both - they just can't do what they want with the franchise in every case.
Correct, they work close with Mike for sure, they need him to be happy as they do not want a dispute (bad for business).

As I recall, Pondsmith retains the IP ownership and some kind of consultant oversight/veto on all projects, Talsorian have the print rights to the game, CDPR have the multimedia rights to the franchise

As I recall, Pondsmith retains the IP ownership and some kind of consultant oversight/veto on all projects, Talsorian have the print rights to the game, CDPR have the multimedia rights to the franchise
yeah sounds about right, Pondsmith is in close contact with CDPR and he was also involved in the netrunner series on netflix, I'm sure he got a sweet deal with CDPR regarding tv shows, movies and games.

Top Bottom