Deep Disappointment and Disillusionment - A Console Player's Farewell to Elite Dangerous

Dear Frontier Developments,

I pen this missive today as a console player who once held Elite Dangerous dear to my heart, but now finds myself consumed by a deep-seated grievance and disillusionment. The decision to sever console support, depriving us of any future updates or content, has instilled a profound sense of betrayal and abandonment even years later. Yet, in the midst of this turmoil, I must reluctantly express a glimmer of hope—a hope that the monumental and detrimental business decision can be reversed, igniting the possibility of a renewed trust and rekindled support from my console brethren.

My words are fueled by an all-encompassing disappointment shared by a legion of console players, those who, like me, poured their souls into this game, embracing its immersive universe, and forging connections with fellow commanders. What was once a haven, a source of solace and personal fulfillment, has now become a bitter reminder of the callousness with which Frontier Developments has treated its devoted console community.

How can a company responsible for birthing such a breathtaking creation, one that kindled an unparalleled passion within its loyal followers, now unceremoniously turn its back on us? It is an unfathomable betrayal, an act of corporate hubris that defies comprehension. For nine long years, we have weathered the storm of disappointment, clinging to fragments of hope, only to witness the final nail being driven into the console player's coffin.

I dare not stifle the flicker of optimism within me, the tiny voice that whispers, "What if?" What if Frontier Developments could find it within their hearts to reverse this profound and detrimental business decision? What if, against all odds, they recognized the dire consequences of their actions and extended an olive branch to the console community? I, along with many others, would embrace that opportunity with open arms.

Let it be known that my grievances are not born out of spite or entitlement; they stem from a genuine love for Elite Dangerous and an unwavering desire to see it flourish. My loyalty as a console player has withstood the test of time, an enduring flame that has been buffeted by countless disappointments and broken promises. Yet, with the flicker of possibility, I cannot help but imagine a future where the wounds inflicted upon us are healed, where the bond between company and community is restored.

Frontier Developments, consider the legacy you wish to leave. Will it be one marred by the abandonment of those who supported you? Or will it be one of redemption, a tale of humility and an admission of missteps? The choice is yours, and it carries with it the power to mend the rift that has torn apart a once-thriving community.

Know that if the decision were to be reversed, if the winds of change were to blow in favor of console players once more, I would gladly return to Elite Dangerous with renewed fervor and unwavering support. The game that stole my heart could once again find its way into my embrace, and I would rally behind it, breathing life into a universe that holds so much promise.

Yet, let us not dwell on unlikely dreams but instead brace ourselves for the harsh reality that has unfolded. As a console player, I must come to terms with the harsh truth that the game I cherished now slips further from my grasp. The void left behind will remain a constant reminder of the disdain with which Frontier Developments treated its console community—a community that loved, supported, and yearned for nothing more than to stand alongside fellow commanders in this captivating universe.

With a heavy heart and a lamentation that reverberates throughout the console player's ranks, fly dangerous PC users... and good luck,

CMDR Ancient_Waze

You'll always have No Man's Sky, and now Space Engineers as well! I don't know off the top of my head if KSP is on Playstation, but I think it is.

Oh, and Elite Dangerous IS still available on PS4, and it's surprisingly active for a "dead" game.

You'll always have No Man's Sky, and now Space Engineers as well! I don't know off the top of my head if KSP is on Playstation, but I think it is.

Oh, and Elite Dangerous IS still available on PS4, and it's surprisingly active for a "dead" game.
I've put in a lot of hours in KSP and NMS on PS4/5 and I love both of them. I just really wish there were alternative sims similar to ED, but unfortunately there just isn't. Star Citizen looks like it's the new eden of space sims but unfortunately I'm out of that opportunity as well. I really hope SC is a great experience for those who have access to it. I haven't tried Space Engineers though so thanks for the suggestion!

Fly safe.

I pen this missive today as a console player who once held Elite Dangerous dear to my heart, but now finds myself consumed by a deep-seated grievance and disillusionment. The decision to sever console support, depriving us of any future updates or content, has instilled a profound sense of betrayal and abandonment even years later. Yet, in the midst of this turmoil, I must reluctantly express a glimmer of hope—a hope that the monumental and detrimental business decision can be reversed, igniting the possibility of a renewed trust and rekindled support from my console brethren.

My words are fueled by an all-encompassing disappointment shared by a legion of console players, those who, like me, poured their souls into this game, embracing its immersive universe, and forging connections with fellow commanders. What was once a haven, a source of solace and personal fulfillment, has now become a bitter reminder of the callousness with which Frontier Developments has treated its devoted console community.

How can a company responsible for birthing such a breathtaking creation, one that kindled an unparalleled passion within its loyal followers, now unceremoniously turn its back on us? It is an unfathomable betrayal, an act of corporate hubris that defies comprehension. For nine long years, we have weathered the storm of disappointment, clinging to fragments of hope, only to witness the final nail being driven into the console player's coffin.

I dare not stifle the flicker of optimism within me, the tiny voice that whispers, "What if?" What if Frontier Developments could find it within their hearts to reverse this profound and detrimental business decision? What if, against all odds, they recognized the dire consequences of their actions and extended an olive branch to the console community? I, along with many others, would embrace that opportunity with open arms.

Let it be known that my grievances are not born out of spite or entitlement; they stem from a genuine love for Elite Dangerous and an unwavering desire to see it flourish. My loyalty as a console player has withstood the test of time, an enduring flame that has been buffeted by countless disappointments and broken promises. Yet, with the flicker of possibility, I cannot help but imagine a future where the wounds inflicted upon us are healed, where the bond between company and community is restored.

Frontier Developments, consider the legacy you wish to leave. Will it be one marred by the abandonment of those who supported you? Or will it be one of redemption, a tale of humility and an admission of missteps? The choice is yours, and it carries with it the power to mend the rift that has torn apart a once-thriving community.

Know that if the decision were to be reversed, if the winds of change were to blow in favor of console players once more, I would gladly return to Elite Dangerous with renewed fervor and unwavering support. The game that stole my heart could once again find its way into my embrace, and I would rally behind it, breathing life into a universe that holds so much promise.

Yet, let us not dwell on unlikely dreams but instead brace ourselves for the harsh reality that has unfolded. As a console player, I must come to terms with the harsh truth that the game I cherished now slips further from my grasp. The void left behind will remain a constant reminder of the disdain with which Frontier Developments treated its console community—a community that loved, supported, and yearned for nothing more than to stand alongside fellow commanders in this captivating universe.

With a heavy heart and a lamentation that reverberates throughout the console player's ranks, fly dangerous PC users... and good luck,

CMDR Ancient_Waze
Indeed it's very unfair and in a business sense, very strange, how Frontier have abandoned console development, console players and anybody on PC that doesn't have a PC powerful enough to run Odyssey or anybody who simply doesn't like Odyssey!

They're seemingly made zero effort to develop and release a "next gen" version of Elite for PS5 and Xbox Series X, to allow us to play "live" mode and Odyssey IF we wanted to.

However the fact that they've decided that Odyssey is the only new content the game will get at all and that's the direction they've taken the entire game is in a way, even worse!

Odyssey should have remained an optional expansion for those that like it, that didn't dictate everything that happens in the "live" game now!

Many other games have a "base" game that never changes or keep on recieving new content and active development, while their often quite different expansions continue on separately or in parallel and indeed that's how Elite's expansions worked before Odyssey, but now don't!

Even if the Devs made an effort to release Odyssey "light" for consoles (and again have it only as an optional expansion, not the only new content the game would get!)

And if they separately released any new ships, weapons and gadgets they created for all platforms and modes in the game, it wouldn't be that bad, even if "Odyssey complete" remained for high end PCs only, but even then, it should still be available for PS5 and Series X! 😯😂😀🤘🤞 .

Kind of as an aside, while indeed suddenly Sony in particular has stopped releasing new games for all versions of the PS4, I think that's a mistake!

The "base" PS4 is indeed nearly ten years old now (even though they still play perfectly and still impress me and most people), for developers, MAYBE it's time to drop support for the "base" system in certain cases, however Sony never allowed Devs to develop PS4 Pro specific versions of games, which now I believe they should!

Even If releasing Elite on PS5 is "too difficult", or too much trouble, maybe the PS4 Pro would run Odyssey and Elite 4.0 without difficulty, IF the base PS4 couldn't!

And indeed developing for the PS4 Pro only would extend the life span of the platform quite a bit and Sony wouldn't have to push people to buy the still overpriced PS5! 😀🤘🤞 .

Last edited:
Indeed it's very unfair and in a business sense very strange, how Frontier have abandoned console development, console players and anybody PC that doesn't have a PC powerful enough to run Odyssey or anybody who simply doesn't like Odyssey!

They're seemingly made zero effort to develop and release a "next gen" version of Elite for PS5 and Xbox Series X, to allow us to play "live" mode and Odyssey IF we wanted to.

However the fact that they've decided that Odyssey is the only new content the game will get at all and that's the direction they've taken the entire game!

Odyssey should have remained an optional expansion for those that like it, that didn't dictate everything that happens in the "live" game now!

Many other games have a "base" game that never changes or keep on recieving new content and active development, while their often quite different expansions continue on separately or in parallel and indeed that's how Elite's expansions worked before Odyssey, but now don't!

Even if the Devs made an effort to release Odyssey "light" for consoles (and again have it only as an optional expansion, not the only new content the game would get!)

And if they separately released any new ships, weapons and gadgets they created for all platforms and modes in the game, it wouldn't be that bad if "Odyssey complete" was for high end PCs only, but even then, it should still be available for PS5 and Series X! 😯😂😀🤘🤞 .

Kind of as an aside, while indeed suddenly Sony in particular has stopped releasing new games for all versions of the PS4, I think that's a mistake!

The "base" PS4 is indeed nearly ten years old now (even though they still play perfectly and still impress me and most people), for developers, MAYBE it's time to drop support for the "base" system in certain cases, however Sony never allowed Devs to develop PS4 Pro specific versions of games, which now I believe they should!

Even If releasing Elite on PS5 is "too difficult", or too much trouble, maybe the PS4 Pro would run Odyssey and Elite 4.0 without difficulty, IF the base PS4 couldn't!

And indeed developing for the PS4 Pro only would extend the life span of the platform quite a bit and Sony wouldn't have to push people to buy the still overpriced PS5! 😀🤘🤞 .
I totally get where you're coming from regarding Frontier Developments ditching console development and not putting in the effort to release a next-gen version of Elite Dangerous. Keeping Odyssey as an optional expansion would have given players more choices.

I encourage you to speak up about your frustrations on various platforms, including Frontier Developments' forums and social media. The more voices, the harder it'll be for them to ignore the shrinking console community and player dissatisfaction.

Let's make some noise and push for more inclusivity!

Indeed Kerbal Space Programme is on PS4 and plays perfectly (after an initially extremely rocky launch*), and KSP2 which is currently in early access on PC, is planned to release on PS5 and Series X after its' full release!

*The initial port of KSP was so bad, it wasn't released in Europe and was soon pulled from the regions it was released in, the developer porting it was fired and an actually well made and fully working version of the game was released over a year after the failed version and was renamed, KSP Enhanced Edition.

The full working version then received several expansions and full support alongside the PC version of the game and I highly recommend it 😀🤘 .

I totally get where you're coming from regarding Frontier Developments ditching console development and not putting in the effort to release a next-gen version of Elite Dangerous. Keeping Odyssey as an optional expansion would have given players more choices.

I encourage you to speak up about your frustrations on various platforms, including Frontier Developments' forums and social media. The more voices, the harder it'll be for them to ignore the shrinking console community and player dissatisfaction.

Let's make some noise and push for more inclusivity!
I have many many times, as have others, but Frontier don't seem to care, they basically say, "play the new content on a high end PC or continue to play the old version forever!" 😯😂🩲😀🤘

I have many many times, as have others, but Frontier don't seem to care, they basically say, "play the new content on a high end PC or continue to play the old version forever!" 😯😂🩲😀🤘
Regardless, I felt like I needed to give my voice along with the rest because I actually do love this game and it breaks my heart to feel like I've been tossed in the trash. Onto better things I suppose.

I've put in a lot of hours in KSP and NMS on PS4/5 and I love both of them. I just really wish there were alternative sims similar to ED, but unfortunately there just isn't. Star Citizen looks like it's the new eden of space sims but unfortunately I'm out of that opportunity as well. I really hope SC is a great experience for those who have access to it. I haven't tried Space Engineers though so thanks for the suggestion!

Fly safe.
Also while fairly different to Elite, Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are both on Playstation and both very good, although Outlaw was seemingly abandoned by the Dev not long after the console launch even though they promised more content, however both games as they exist are pretty great!
(Even if they deserved more content and support - the Devs posted a blog post saying more was coming over two years ago, then went silent! 😯.)

In the first game, you fly capital ships only, in mostly 2D combat, basically like battleships in space!

The sequel then, which is actually a prequel, is fighter based with 3D combat and very good even as it is! 😀🤘 .

Also while fairly different to Elite, Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are both on Playstation and both very good, although Outlaw was seemingly abandoned by the Dev not long after the console launch even though they promised more content, however both games as they exist are pretty great!
(Even if they deserved more content and support - the Devs posted a blog post saying more was coming over two years ago, then went silent! 😯.)

In the first game, you fly capital ships only, in mostly 2D combat, basically like battleships in space!

The sequel then, which is actually a prequel, is fighter based with 3D combat and very good even as it is! 😀🤘 .
Oh wow I've heard those names but I never really looked into them. I knew about Outlaw's existence but I didn't know Galaxy even existed. You're just a wellspring of knowledge lol. Definitely going to check out those games! Thank you!

Been gaming for 40 years. EXPECT to be disappointed, it is part of the business model and life more generally.

Only thing you can do is remember the good times and MOVE ON.
Thank you for your positivity. I just felt like I needed to express my frustrations (even if futile) because these types of companies shouldn't get the luxury of a silent and abused community. I agree too. I have so many fond memories across countless hours over the years in ED, and I plan to hold onto that while I search for another world that can give me a similar escape from the hardships of life. Maybe even this time I'll be more social in the next sim I delve into.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: ick

CMDR Ancient_Waze
I feel like you're looking at this like it's an emotional decision for them. It isn't, they didn't cancel console development to spite the console community. They are simply incapable, for whatever reason, of supporting Odyssey on consoles. I don't know if it's hardware specs, Sony/Microsoft requirements, or a lack of developer competence on the console side. They are only interested in money and once they weighed the cost of trying to get it to console with income they would gain they decided it wasn't worth it. Appealing to the kindness of their hearts to reconsider isn't going to change their decision. That decision can only be changed by appealing to their bottom line.

I feel like you're looking at this like it's an emotional decision for them. It isn't, they didn't cancel console development to spite the console community. They are simply incapable, for whatever reason, of supporting Odyssey on consoles. I don't know if it's hardware specs, Sony/Microsoft requirements, or a lack of developer competence on the console side. They are only interested in money and once they weighed the cost of trying to get it to console with income they would gain they decided it wasn't worth it. Appealing to the kindness of their hearts to reconsider isn't going to change their decision. That decision can only be changed by appealing to their bottom line.
I'm actually not trying to appeal to them. This post is essentially a farewell to my favorite video game. I know the politics about the decision as well as the technical ones; it doesn't make them any less slimy about the situation. It's just such an important project to me that I couldn't not at least put out there the impact it's had on me, in case others in the future feel the same (although I know I'm on the back end here). I was more talking about cutting off the head of console users entirely. Odyssey did not have to be the end-all-be-all of content for the franchise and they know this. All we can do is hope that whoever has the most influence on the culture of the company is either replaced or by some miracle starts caring about the community. But I'm not holding my breath. This post is the only emotion here, I know FD does not care in the slightest, but I wanted to at least send my voice to anyone who can relate.

I'm actually not trying to appeal to them. This post is essentially a farewell to my favorite video game. I know the politics about the decision as well as the technical ones; it doesn't make them any less slimy about the situation. It's just such an important project to me that I couldn't not at least put out there the impact it's had on me, in case others in the future feel the same (although I know I'm on the back end here). I was more talking about cutting off the head of console users entirely. Odyssey did not have to be the end-all-be-all of content for the franchise and they know this. All we can do is hope that whoever has the most influence on the culture of the company is either replaced or by some miracle starts caring about the community. But I'm not holding my breath. This post is the only emotion here, I know FD does not care in the slightest, but I wanted to at least send my voice to anyone who can relate.
Yeah, it is pretty sad to lose a game you love. I've moved on a bit and have been pretty deep into Stellaris, NMS, and X4 on my Mac. Still go through GeForce to try ED out every once in a while, but it's just not the same. I check in here occasionally to see if there's anything enticing, but since I'm not a Xeno combat pilot it's still the same old thing.

Yeah, it is pretty sad to lose a game you love. I've moved on a bit and have been pretty deep into Stellaris, NMS, and X4 on my Mac. Still go through GeForce to try ED out every once in a while, but it's just not the same. I check in here occasionally to see if there's anything enticing, but since I'm not a Xeno combat pilot it's still the same old thing.
We are in the same boat now then I'm afraid. I'm a space trucker to heart so I feel that. I just got my hands on Stellaris for the first time a few weeks back and I've been religiously playing it! Silver linings I guess lol

Top Bottom