Despite Enginner 'improvements', unlocking engineers is still a pain...

Admit it, if you would get a stupid achievement, or a trophy, or another silly replacement for a feeling of accomplishment you wouldn't complain. That's exactly how most other games do it. Elite doesn't, along with many other stupid systems that are just there for providing sweets to kindergarten children.
Not too sure what you're talking about, I've never been interested in achievements. Just pointing out that the activities to unlock engineers are normal in-game activities, and it would be weird to take issue with one but not the other.

Not too sure what you're talking about, I've never been interested in achievements. Just pointing out that the activities to unlock engineers are normal in-game activities, and it would be weird to take issue with one but not the other.

Yes, they are. I actually like that about it. You just do some stuff you perhaps didn't do before and also get an engineer unlock for that. Of course there's stuff people don't like to do because it doesn't fit their game style, and those either do it anyway or do not get access to that specific engineer.
I am not a combat pilot and have no reason to engage in wars, which is why I don't collect combat bonds. Means I will not unlock the engineers associated with those unless I go and fight anyway.

Can't have everything I guess.

Actually, it probably belongs to you.

Sure, it could be mine... if I were the one asking FD to remove the actual "game" from the game.

Alas, I'm not.

I don't expect to just visit the engineers in one location and have them immediately unlocked for me so I can up and modify modules as I please.

I actually expect to have to work for things in this game- as I would any game. Otherwise, I'd just pop on a good movie and watch it instead.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Hehe...

Came here to see if there was any news regarding 3.0 release, and I see the "Shill Handbook" is still heavily in use:

OP (correctly) points out the TEDIOUSNESS involved in the 100% pure time sink unlock conditions.

The shills, having zero actual, logical defense of this pointless drudgery, default to their usual strawman: "Well, its NOT HARD."

Yeah. No kidding. And its NEVER BEEN hard. Nor did the OP claim it was. The OP pointed out (correctly) that it is TEDIOUS.

Either refute THAT POINT...or go away.

Sure, it could be mine... if I were the one asking FD to remove the actual "game" from the game.

Alas, I'm not.

I don't expect to just visit the engineers in one location and have them immediately unlocked for me so I can up and modify modules as I please.

I actually expect to have to work for things in this game- as I would any game. Otherwise, I'd just pop on a good movie and watch it instead.

So...staring at menus and loading screens for hours constitutes working for a reward exactly...how...again?

Unlocking engineers is well put together it makes you try new things.

Standards this low are the reason we cannot get actual GAME PLAY beyond flight and combat.

Hehe...

Came here to see if there was any news regarding 3.0 release, and I see the "Shill Handbook" is still heavily in use:

OP (correctly) points out the TEDIOUSNESS involved in the 100% pure time sink unlock conditions.

The shills, having zero actual, logical defense of this pointless drudgery, default to their usual strawman: "Well, its NOT HARD."

Yeah. No kidding. And its NEVER BEEN hard. Nor did the OP claim it was. The OP pointed out (correctly) that it is TEDIOUS.

Make me. And the last time I checked... shills are compensated in some way.

Apparently I must have missed that part when I signed my "shill contract" with FD... hmm...\

Hey FD!!!! We need to talk!!! I didn't even get a gold star or a lousy t-shirt for being a shill!!! :p

Last edited:
Appreciating that the different game systems are incentivized isn't "low standards".
Unlocking engineers just involves interacting with the core gameplay loops of the game.
If you don't like interacting with the core gameplay loops of the game, you could
a) wait for all of them to change (they won't),
b) play something else?

The entire game is a 100% pure time sink unlock.

Yea, it's tedious, but it seems clear that is the point of the entire thing. As long as people think that tedious requirements are worthwhile "challenges", I'm afraid it's going to stay the same.

Though, let's be clear, there should be requirements, but it could be less tedious with simple things such as letting us go ahead and grab those 50 Kamitra Cigars all at once.

Last edited:
The OP pointed out (correctly) that it is TEDIOUS.

Its ONLY tedious if you simultaneously fulfill TWO conditions...RACING to unlock/rank up ALL the Engineers AS QUICKLY as POSSIBLE...AND at the same time disliking the activities required for the Unlocks...be it...Trade/Mining/Exploration/Combat or Mission running...
As has been pointed out umpteen million times...it wasn't designed for players to have G5 module access to all/most Engineers within a short time frame...they were supposed to be acquired gradually...(and as part of normal game-play therefore NO tedium) if min/maxers choose to go against that original intent by unlocking ALL the ENGINEERs quickly...EVEN those whose unlock requirements are activities they find TEDIOUS - it seems churlish to complain that "its boring"

• Like (+1)
After the much lauded (by FD at least) so-called improvements to RNGineers in Beta 3.0, the fact is that FD have failed miserably to address one of the most negative aspects of engineers; that being the fact that some engineers are locked behind other engineers and then require a ridiculous amount of 'hoop-jumping' in order to access their services.

Whilst appreciating the fact that Sandro and his team have to account to shareholders for the number of hours players are logged-in, it is a disgrace that the above engineers merry-go-round has not only not been addressed, but also the fact that it appears not even to have been considered in Beyond. In fact, it has not been mentioned in any streams or posts by FD.

Going back as far as 2016, one of the biggest complaints about engineers was the fact that to unlock them was - and still is - a real pain, and continues to be so. And before the white knights and good old Max Factor - whose posts can sometimes be informative and whose opinions I respect - start to tell me, "You don't have to engineer if you don't want to...", let me just say that without engineered modules, most of the ships in ED will get blown out of space much sooner than later; something of which new players become aware very quickly.

I fell into the trap of engineers early on but have never progressed beyond G3 Dirty Drives or a G1 power plant and G5 FSD, etc, simply because to unlock Palin or the others seems to me to be a pointless time-sink and very disrespectful of the limited time in which I have to play and enjoy ED.

The fact that this aspect of engineers had not been improved in Beyond (instead we have material brokers with exorbitant exchange rates) is imo a disrespectful slant on those of us who have spent more than a thousand hours in game but who still have the integrity to avoid being forced by FD into certain activities in which we have no desire to participate.

As always, 'Sandro's law' says, "Play the game your way, blaze your own trail...as long as it is the way and the trail of which we approve and which we sanction."

Your thoughts please..even white knights!

Well, what would be a good way of unlocking them? as any and all tasks for npc's could be considered hoop jumping as you call it.
I am genuinely curious, because there's always going to be people unhappy with how x is done, and there really isn't any way to appease everyone.

Also note, "Play the game your way" seems often misunderstood, because 'play the game your way' includes, 'the game' of which they designed, so you play, your way in what they have designed, if they haven't designed something a way you like or enjoy, then that's also part of play it your way, you can choose not to do those tasks if you do not like them, missing out on something or not participating in something because you do not like it, is your choice, 'play it your way' does not mean that you, for example don't want to mine, you still get the same benefits miners can get and so on.
And no this isn't defending Frontier, this is just a clarification on a topic that many seem to misunderstand.

Its ONLY tedious if you simultaneously fulfill TWO conditions...RACING to unlock/rank up ALL the Engineers AS QUICKLY as POSSIBLE...AND at the same time disliking the activities required for the Unlocks...be it...Trade/Mining/Exploration/Combat or Mission running...
As has been pointed out umpteen million times...it wasn't designed for players to have G5 module access to all/most Engineers within a short time frame...they were supposed to be acquired gradually...(and as part of normal game-play therefore NO tedium) if min/maxers choose to go against that original intent by unlocking ALL the ENGINEERs quickly...EVEN those whose unlock requirements are activities they find TEDIOUS - it seems churlish to complain that "its boring"

No, it's tedious all the time. There's never one point where it is interesting or fun to grab 4 of a rare good at a time in your Cutter to open a gate to upgrades. The work can be there, forget that part, it's the fact that it doesn't need to be tedious.

Last edited:
Apparently I must have missed that part when I signed my "shill contract" with FD... hmm...\

Hey FD!!!! We need to talk!!! I didn't even get a gold star or a lousy t-shirt for being a shill!!! :p

Hehe, it never stops being surprising to see some of the special members here being so fundamentally unable to grasp that people may honestly have a different opinion. :)

No, it's tedious all the time. There's never one point where it is interesting or fun to grab 4 of a rare good at a time in your Cutter to open a gate to upgrades. The work can be there, forget that part, it's the fact that it doesn't need to be tedious.

There's your problem right there.

Try doing it in a Sidewinder.

In open.

There's your problem right there.

Try doing it in a Sidewinder.

In open.

I'm sure extending the amount of time it takes to get through the process will be the ticket. Wish I would have thought of that. I'll start tomorrow, right after I delete my save.

• Like (+1)
5000 ly then a suicide back? Walk in the park. You might actually enjoy it :)
Don't suicide; that's a waste of valuable exploration data. Fly back via a different route... You might actually enjoy it! :D

I unlocked a great deal of the engineers in the game and it was never a pain for me. Took some time, yeah, but that's kind of the way it's supposed to be.

Patience is the key to this game, and in my opinion that's something that should never change.
I've only unlocked 4 engineers and 1 was just to unlock another (Palin). You are quite correct: Patience is key.

Admit it, if you would get a stupid achievement, or a trophy, or another silly replacement for a feeling of accomplishment you wouldn't complain.
If you register on EDSM you can earn badges to indicate your progress. (I've earned a bunch and it's useful for finding new goals.) If you run a program like EDMC, your data will be automatically uploaded.

https://www.edsm.net/
https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector/wiki

Its ONLY tedious if you simultaneously fulfill TWO conditions...RACING to unlock/rank up ALL the Engineers AS QUICKLY as POSSIBLE...AND at the same time disliking the activities required for the Unlocks...

Very true. Also, if you find ED is becoming tedious, it's probably time to take a break and play some other game for a week or two. I find that rekindles my interest in this game.

It's actually not that bad. At least you only have to do it once. The new engineering system, however...
I tried the new engineering system in beta; it's actually not bad, if a bit grindy.

I'm currently investigating if the Engineers are *needed* at all, under the extreme conditions that are: always in Open, iron man rules and no engineering, though by avoiding PvP at all costs (cause you're pretty much dead meat against a capable combat pilot with an engineered ship and good PvP background). Escaping would be great luck in this case I guess, but so far this test seems to evolve quite positive, even for a mediocre combat pilot like me with almost zero PvP experience. I slowly start to wonder what's all the fuzz about the Engineers, probably just another people's problem, namely the PvP enthusiasts - or just paranoia. Though I'm an otherwise experienced player and would urgently discourage new players from going this path. Deep space exploration would also be seriously crippled as you really want this maxed out FSD of course.

It is very much possible. Defending against PvP in Open when flying a PvE ship is not dependent on engineers as the goal is to prevent being in normal space with an attacker in the first place. Engineers is a fun option, but for anyone not interested in PvP or the deepest fringe exploration completely optional.

Still, more interesting unlock mechanisms would be fun for new players IMHO. More missions, with risk and danger, and less 'schlepp stuff back and forth for a bunch of times'. Its really just FedEx questing, which is generally considered a bit of a no-no in MMOs.

Deep space exploration would also be seriously crippled as you really want this maxed out FSD of course.

All of it saves time. An engineered distributor and mining lasers lets you mine faster. An engineered FSD lets you trade and explore faster. Engineered thrusters and guns let you kill faster. Engineered shields are going to reduce the chances of taking damage in a fight, avoiding a repair trip and saving time.

In a game that is an infinite treadmill of grind, acquiring these small timesaving bonuses racks up quickly.

I’ve never really understood the hostility directed towards the engineer system. I agree that it’s rarely compelling gameplay and warranted improvement, but I’ve always managed to unlock an engineer relatively quickly and without too much frustration.

Even the effort required to collect materials is often exaggerated in my view. Once you know where to look you can find most things within 30 minutes or so. The main issue is the lack of sufficient clues in-game.

I find the process of optimising my ships very satisfying though, so perhaps I’m biased.

Top Bottom