Detailed DK2/CV1 Setup Guide with Oculus Runtime 1.3+

You know what, I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but I totally forgot to mention that I install OH WITHOUT the HMD plugged in. Maybe that's why I get to that "hardware setup" dialog. Maybe it's because it's not detecting the HMD??

YErr tried that one... i now trying to install old versions of sdk but i dont see options in elite game screen for set up??? crazyy crazy...
THANKs FOR your help.. REALLy thanks.. but i going to leave this now...

Last time i support anything on quick start ..... feel like i been dumped by both parties Frontier and Occulus..

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Have any one of you a Link or can share a oculus rift Runtime exe 1.3.2 pls i have an error with the lastes on is say me my cpu is unsupported sse 4.2 needing lol i7 cpu 4770 i Need the runtime exe no the sdk pls help, i dont find anyting in google

EvilMadcat

1.3.0 is the best i got.. will check my archives for you..

I get a Setup Exe there had no checking for sse 4.2 if any one Need them pm with email to me i send them to you is 2,5 mb great.

Salve
Evilmadcat
DK2 User

All I get is EliteDangerous64.exe is taking too long to load blah blah, no matter what I do. I tried launching it from Oculus Home, Steam and straight up. Latest Nvidia driver, GTX1080 on Windows 10. I can play War Thunder through steam just fine. I don't have anything in the ED options that mention the HMD, except for those little hint texts. Anyone have any idea? Is there a special version of Elite for VR? TIA

All I get is EliteDangerous64.exe is taking too long to load blah blah, no matter what I do. I tried launching it from Oculus Home, Steam and straight up. Latest Nvidia driver, GTX1080 on Windows 10. I can play War Thunder through steam just fine. I don't have anything in the ED options that mention the HMD, except for those little hint texts. Anyone have any idea? Is there a special version of Elite for VR? TIA

It's in Options>Graphics>3D

Select HMD with headphones.

Off you go!

Last edited:
edit: SOLVED!

It's in Options>Graphics>3D

Select HMD with headphones.

Off you go!

All I can see when expanding 3D is:

3D Separation (experimental)
3D Focal Distance

Nothing else. It's a fresh install of Elite on a new PC. I setup the Rift on wednesday, so it should be upto date also. Help me how to Oculus [noob]

For anyone else who also might miss this: To the right of the 3D headline it says OFF. This is where you select HMD from another drop down menu.

Thanks, Corleone! Your reply made me go in and try again. The VR is breathtaking!

Last edited:
Just a quick question before I attempt to get DK2 working again:
Does DK2 still work with E: D, using Runtime 1.3 on Win10?
Last time I tried, I wasted a quite a few hours and had no luck.
Reading this forum, I get the impression that DK2 no longer works.
Can someone confirm this?

DK2 installed and seemingly working fine in the Oculus App.

Now obviously I've missed a beat..........
Do I need to install the Oculus version of Elite, or run the horizons I've got installed. The Oculus version doesn't seem to be Horizons.....Or is the Commander Deluxe Edition their version of Horizons? Seems even more phaff than ever to get it working lol.

When I go to 3D in my main version it gives me head tracking, but on the monitor's screen. I have to reset graphics settings to get things working again as the mouse - even when highlighting an option doesn't work.

Many thanks, a Commander really hoping to get flying again soon [up]

EDIT: and even though the Oculus Home works fully, I can't run any apps: A pending hardware issue is preventing me from entering VR. Is this because I'm in a DK2? Any work around? Did look on the net :-(

Last edited:
DK2 installed and seemingly working fine in the Oculus App.

Now obviously I've missed a beat..........
Do I need to install the Oculus version of Elite, or run the horizons I've got installed. The Oculus version doesn't seem to be Horizons.....Or is the Commander Deluxe Edition their version of Horizons? Seems even more phaff than ever to get it working lol.

When I go to 3D in my main version it gives me head tracking, but on the monitor's screen. I have to reset graphics settings to get things working again as the mouse - even when highlighting an option doesn't work.

Many thanks, a Commander really hoping to get flying again soon [up]

EDIT: and even though the Oculus Home works fully, I can't run any apps: A pending hardware issue is preventing me from entering VR. Is this because I'm in a DK2? Any work around? Did look on the net :-(

You don't need to install OH version of ED if you already have it from Frontier or Steam. Make sure you set OH setting/general to "accept other sources" If you are loosing mouse tracking outside of OH (on the desktop) you may have a usb conflict. Did your usb pass oculus compatibility test? If so, try switching ports your sensor is plugged into and reboot. Set Windows Power MGMT to max performance. if your usb doesn't pass (and maybe even if it does) you could try and approved add in card. On rare occasions some external apps running can upset usb sensor. If I understood you, you are saying the tracking works but you can't launch any OH demos or games. Your "pending hardware issue" lead me to believe you are getting that error message from OH. If so, this again suggest usb fault. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Well well well.
I'm usually meticulous at putting things away. It would seem that I misplaced the USB lead from the sensor to the computer. VR worked without it, but once I connected that, everything is working!!
Thanks for your help dogbite.

Well well well.
I'm usually meticulous at putting things away. It would seem that I misplaced the USB lead from the sensor to the computer. VR worked without it, but once I connected that, everything is working!!
Thanks for your help dogbite.

Good your up and running. Glad I could help.

I've been trying for more than a week to get my DK2 working with Elite and the new Oculus software. Back when Elite still worked with the older stuff everything was perfect. I feel really frustrated that Oculus isn't supporting the DK2 any more, essentially making my $300 HMD a brick. This, on top of the lack of support with its terrible lenses, makes me really want to get a Vive.

EDIT: FWIW I'm getting the blue lights on camera and HMD but black on the screen. I've tried every combination of ways to uninstall and reinstall the software I can think of, I've tried different HDMI ports and different USB ports. Funny thing is when I roll back to the older Oculus software the demo scene displays perfectly fine. Really unfortunate I can't do anything with the old software. Elite and Oculus Home will see my DK2 and allow me to start Elite in 3D HMD mode but there's only headtracking (on my monitor) and still the black screen inside the HMD.

Last edited:
I've been trying for more than a week to get my DK2 working with Elite and the new Oculus software. Back when Elite still worked with the older stuff everything was perfect. I feel really frustrated that Oculus isn't supporting the DK2 any more, essentially making my $300 HMD a brick. This, on top of the lack of support with its terrible lenses, makes me really want to get a Vive.

EDIT: FWIW I'm getting the blue lights on camera and HMD but black on the screen. I've tried every combination of ways to uninstall and reinstall the software I can think of, I've tried different HDMI ports and different USB ports. Funny thing is when I roll back to the older Oculus software the demo scene displays perfectly fine. Really unfortunate I can't do anything with the old software. Elite and Oculus Home will see my DK2 and allow me to start Elite in 3D HMD mode but there's only headtracking (on my monitor) and still the black screen inside the HMD.

I played yesterday with dk2 at elite without any problem... I was the same as you . I have elite in steam , and after some update you cannot use that version with oculus home. I went to frontier page and press in "my account", "partner keys" and click on CLAIM A KEY FOR ELITE DANGEROUS (OCULUS).

After that I reinstalled game into oculus home and voilá, playing. At least for me was not an oculus home problem, was a elite distribution type.

I played yesterday with dk2 at elite without any problem... I was the same as you . I have elite in steam , and after some update you cannot use that version with oculus home. I went to frontier page and press in "my account", "partner keys" and click on CLAIM A KEY FOR ELITE DANGEROUS (OCULUS).

After that I reinstalled game into oculus home and voilá, playing. At least for me was not an oculus home problem, was a elite distribution type.

Thing is I can't get my DK2 to work at all with the Oculus Home software. It's not a an Elite issue. I've been in contact with Oculus support for the past week and they've basically given up and told me that they can't help me.

Are they going to do the same thing to CV1 when CV2 comes out? Very worrying.

Thing is I can't get my DK2 to work at all with the Oculus Home software. It's not a an Elite issue. I've been in contact with Oculus support for the past week and they've basically given up and told me that they can't help me.

Are they going to do the same thing to CV1 when CV2 comes out? Very worrying.

there's an obvious distinction between the dk2 and the cv1

Okay folks, I know this wasn't intended as a troubleshooting thread but...it sort of is now.

Received mine CV1 today. Install very smooth.

Everything works but on starting ED, the VR headset just sits on "Sorry, elitedangerous64.exe is taking a while to load. If this issue persists..."

On monitor, ED is running fine. Initial tutorial guide on this thread states to change the settings in ED to SDK. I see no such setting. ED does know something is going on, and minimises when I take the headset off. Sound is running through the Oculus headset.

Assistance for this fool?

EDIT: IGNORE.

Unless you have the same issue. In which I would recommend the HMD option is NOT part of the display settings but the 3d settings.

*sigh*

Last edited:
Top Bottom