Dev Diary #2 - Rewarding Creativity (Gameplay, UI and coaster building included!)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone of you may have noticed the sketches and the concept arts of the developers... I saw something like a coaster car for a Intamin Highspeed Accellerator... This may mean that you can finally build your own Formula-Rossa like Rollercoaster. I wonder what the maximum launch speed could be....

Meanwhile at Coaster Club:
DXLHZPR.gif

Good... Goooooood... Your desire for more knowledge only makes makes you more powerful... More attracted to join me... At the Coaster Club side...

Last edited:
It's nice to finally see the coaster editor in action, even though it was pretty brief. I only have one simple question about it: Will we be able to manipulate the length of a track segment that we are editing? Or is it always going to be piece by piece?

They have said that they're going for a piece-by-piece system, but obviously one that you can heavily manipulate. I have a feeling that they will provide you with a variety of different piece-lengths in order to make every possible configuration possible.

In order for me to fully convert to Coaster Club and Early Bird access i will need a developer confirming there will be mod support. [big grin]

Wish I could. But I'm on a student budget, so I can't justify purchasing coaster head access AND early bird, as I plan to get into. [sulk]

I know what you mean.... Alpha/Beta access is pretty expensive on it's own. Nearly $50. I'll probably get it though...if I manage to buy a new computer. I just can't justify spending an addition $40 for CC.

Next to the great scenery shown in the video, you could also see a glimpse of the Coaster Editor! And it was really cool actually, I'd think you'd have less options than the upcoming RCTW, but it looks like this is doing muuuuch better. I'm sold!

That's just based on speculation though. It worries me that they didn't show any more than 1 second of actual in-game coaster editing, and the tiny bit they did show uses an outdated one-piece-at-a-time system.

Another concern I have is that even after so many months, we've only seen two coaster types? And with no discussion regarding future expansion, I think it's almost setting itself up to fail. What if a new coaster type comes out a month after the game is released? Will players have the ability to create and add that new design into PC? We don't know that either!

As much as I enjoy all the updates we get from the PC devs, I feel like there is still very little we actually know about the game. The video always shows off a pre-rendered peep animation, or some concept art, or a tiny snippet of some flat ride programming. And my concern with this is that, at this stage in development, we should've seen some actual gameplay footage by now. Or at least learned about some of this game's main goals and objectives.

At first, I was relieved that PC was straying away from the lack of information that had plagued RCTW. But as time went on, it almost looks like PC just went a seperate route, and ended up in the same situation anyway.

The game still has one year of development left. That's....a really- really- long time.
As for the coaster footage...showing off their coaster designer was not the purpose of this video; this video was created to show off their "modular building system" and how scenery will influence your guests' experiences/interactions. The coaster was just included to demonstrate how you can bring the two together...enhance its looks, rating, etc. Their roller coaster designer will most likely get it's own dev diary.

That said, they still do have a long way to go, especially when it comes to optimizing the game. If you re-watch the video you'll see that the game is current averaging 35 FPS, which is barely playable- if at all, and that's on beefy systems. But the game is still in development, just like RCTW, which people don't seem to realize that what you're seeing is not representative of the final game.

there is still nearly a year of development don't forget it, they will show us over the time ;)[cool]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The game still has one year of development left. That's....a really- really- long time.
As for the coaster footage...showing off their coaster designer was not the purpose of this video; this video was created to show off their "modular building system" and how scenery will influence your guests' experiences/interactions. The coaster was just included to demonstrate how you can bring the two together...enhance its looks, rating, etc. Their roller coaster designer will most likely get it's own dev diary.

That said, they still do have a long way to go, especially when it comes to optimizing the game. If you re-watch the video you'll see that the game is current averaging 35 FPS, which is barely playable- if at all, and that's on beefy systems. But the game is still in development, just like RCTW, which people don't seem to realize that what you're seeing is not representative of the final game.
+1000[up]

I'm hoping for a world where you have about 7 plots of expandable land on each world. You then have a monorail and highway connecting each. On one of the plots of land you build your parking lots and roads like in Cities Skylines. There can even be smaller plots of land within the world for resorts.

That's just based on speculation though. It worries me that they didn't show any more than 1 second of actual in-game coaster editing, and the tiny bit they did show uses an outdated one-piece-at-a-time system.

Another concern I have is that even after so many months, we've only seen two coaster types? And with no discussion regarding future expansion, I think it's almost setting itself up to fail. What if a new coaster type comes out a month after the game is released? Will players have the ability to create and add that new design into PC? We don't know that either!

As much as I enjoy all the updates we get from the PC devs, I feel like there is still very little we actually know about the game. The video always shows off a pre-rendered peep animation, or some concept art, or a tiny snippet of some flat ride programming. And my concern with this is that, at this stage in development, we should've seen some actual gameplay footage by now. Or at least learned about some of this game's main goals and objectives.

At first, I was relieved that PC was straying away from the lack of information that had plagued RCTW. But as time went on, it almost looks like PC just went a seperate route, and ended up in the same situation anyway.

You really have to try to find stuff wrong with the game at this point. I mean, using pieces to construct coasters, that can be morphed and shaped into any angle, giving the flexibility of nodes but the simplicity of placing pieces is outdated? Only seen two coaster types two months since dev diaries have started, when the game is to release in like 6-7 months? What had RCTW shown in in two months of dev diaries, absolutely nothing. One single screenshot, if lucky.

Do you not appreciate the effort that goes into these? You call this "lack of information"? This is 20x more information than RCTW has ever released. Besides this, you'd be getting a written development blog each week if you spent a little money on the Coaster Club.

And where have you not seen "actual gameplay" footage? Look with your eyes, the two devlogs are full of them. First devlog is mostly wireframe footage, because that was all that was accomplished at the time. This devblog showed the amazing, beautiful, and not pre-rendered, terrain system, building system, and engine as a whole, plus a tease at the coaster building.

Now be patient. There is still 4 more dev diaries to be released before open-alpha starts. By then your speculation will be viable, but now, it's too soon. [yesnod]

RCTW has vertices, and even that isn't smooth. Unfortunately, this is a game, not a coaster simulation. The only way to get perfectly smooth coasters is to use a professional tool, which I consider No Limits to be.

However, just because Planet Coaster uses pieces doesn't mean it will work against you to be as rough and jagged possible. I'm sure it will be smooth, and easy to use; current polish in all aspects shows us it will. If you still don't have faith, don't purchase the game. [noob]

However, the developers read the forum, so I'm sure your input will be taken into account. I wish my Linux port idea was taken into account. *wink* *wink* [squeeeeee]

Last edited:
The problem that I have with this style of editing coaster is that it doesn't give the control of making a continuous motion. I play a lot of No Limits which uses a spline track editor and they have a depump vertices button that makes coasters smooth. I dont like this planet coaster editor because it is like Scream Ride and Maximum Rollercoaster it is not smooth. I hope the developers fix this and give us smooth coasters. Just sayin'.

How do you know it doesn't give that control? There was only like a total of 5 seconds of footage showing the coaster editor.

And we are not going to get the level of precision that No Limits offers. No Limits is its own beast, and it should stay that way.

Don't worry, it's still way early in development, we haven't seen the coaster editor in its entirety so judging it is completely premature. I have faith it will be great!

About 30 seconds into the dev diary, you can see a wall covered with pictures of the models for coaster cars for about 7 or 8 different coaster types. I know they don't show the track so it might not count as showing a full coaster type, but it atleast shows that we will have a great variety in the game.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom