Dev Diary #3: Build, Create, Share

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
When people said the guests in RCTW looks like sims I thought "nope!!" but then I am used to Sims 3. In middle of The sims 1-2 is about right!

Yep, that was what I was thinking.
And I just saw you were Anglis with a new avatar. I already associated the kid you have for an avatar with you forever. Even when I saw game screens where the kid appeared, I said, look, there goes angelis [haha]

EDIT
Talking more about the cartoon style in the sims 4, like I said before i really like some of the things that it brings to the table, like the much better expression and better facial traits, as its easier to create caricatures of real life people. But theres some of the things I think I like better in TS3, like when modders worked with hairstyles (instead of a 3D mesh model only).

Sims 4 only probably looks cartoony, because maxis was involved again. The sims studio made sims 3, leaving out most of the maxis team. Sims 3 wasnt polished but they were just, idk but really contrasted or something... idk how to explain it, sims just look unusual. But oh well, everyone complains about every new installation of the sims...

BTW: Rollercoaster tycoon world avatars look like Sims Freeplay...

Last edited:
Sims 4 only probably looks cartoony, because maxis was involved again. The sims studio made sims 3, leaving out most of the maxis team. Sims 3 wasnt polished but they were just, idk but really contrasted or something... idk how to explain it, sims just look unusual. But oh well, everyone complains about every new installation of the sims...

You are wrong.
The Sims Studios was a division of Maxis. Its exactly the same guys, but they were making spore at the time also so the studio was divided into two. Will Wright, who was still in the company at the time, oversaw the sims 3 (he only oversees projects after he creates the first versions) while being the director of Spore. After some Sims 3 expansion The Sims Studios was again blended into the Maxis level.
And lol at the Sims 3 not being polished. Is probably the game that tried to bring more new things to the table and make a real sequel to The Sims 2. And is the only who has still a BIG active community (reminds me a lot of RCT3 in that aspect). The designers where still the originals from the old sims, and it shows.
The Sims 4 was actually made by a Maxis were most of the veterans had already left the studio, and it was, at the start of develpoment an only online game, similar to SimCity 2013, and when that one flopped they run to strip all the social aspects leaving a barebones sim experience that they tried to patch so it didnt show. They were touting during the release this new thing about Sims having now "emotions" when that type of AI has been there nearly exactly the same since the Sims 3, and even some aspects were already in the sims 2. And thats without adding several CORE features from the original base games (so not counting expansions here) still missing, like Create-A-Style or babies.
The Sims 4 is the worst reviewed game of the mainline series (with the main criticism being "The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists"), has the smallest fanbase, and its the one with the worst sales when it was released, and would not surprise me if it never gets even near the 10 million copies TS3 and 11 million copies TS1 sold at the end of their lives.
The house building system is better than ever, and I think the cartoony style really works so the expressions they have during the game dont look out of place sometimes like it happened in TS2 and TS3, but lets be critical here. They didnt try to create a real sequel to The Sims 3, they didnt try to fix some of the problems the whole town system had (becuase the idea is magnificent, it was just to ambitious for the era, but now its clearly not and could be feassible), instead they ripped that apart and regressed it one sequel ago, instead of fixing and expanding, and that was done becuase it was going to be an online game, not becuase they thought it was a better idea.

The "Maxis" right now is in reality the guys that were left from The Sims Studio, called EA Redwood Shores, helped by EA Salt Lake, while Maxis Helsinki do the horrible mobile games.
In fact, the original Maxis Emeryville you thought came back to make TS4, was sadly closed down last year after the SimCity 2013 fiasco. That was the original Maixs studios, even if it didn't had the original people working them anymore.

"But oh well, everyone complains about every new installation of the sims..." is not a realistic statement. Every game, no matter how good it is, will have its detractors, but comparing that to the huge uproar TS4 had when it was released is laughable. In fact it reminds me a lot to the uprorar of missing features RCTW is having (or even SimCity 2013, the other Maxis fiasco), but at least TS4 was a better designed game in various aspects from the get a go and that has saved them from a total failure.

Last edited:
You are wrong.
The Sims Studios was a division of Maxis. Its exactly the same guys, but they were making spore at the time also so the studio was divided into two. Will Wright, who was still in the company at the time, oversaw the sims 3 (he only oversees projects after he creates the first versions) while being the director of Spore. After some Sims 3 expansion The Sims Studios was again blended into the Maxis level.
And lol at the Sims 3 not being polished. Is probably the game that tried to bring more new things to the table and make a real sequel to The Sims 2. And is the only who has still a BIG active community (reminds me a lot of RCT3 in that aspect). The designers where still the originals from the old sims, and it shows.
The Sims 4 was actually made by a Maxis were most of the veterans had already left the studio, and it was, at the start of develpoment an only online game, similar to SimCity 2013, and when that one flopped they run to strip all the social aspects leaving a barebones sim experience that they tried to patch so it didnt show. They were touting during the release this new thing about Sims having now "emotions" when that type of AI has been there nearly exactly the same since the Sims 3, and even some aspects were already in the sims 2. And thats without adding several CORE features from the original base games (so not counting expansions here) still missing, like Create-A-Style or babies.
The Sims 4 is the worst reviewed game of the mainline series (with the main criticism being "The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists"), has the smallest fanbase, and its the one with the worst sales when it was released, and would not surprise me if it never gets even near the 10 million copies TS3 and 11 million copies TS1 sold at the end of their lives.
The house building system is better than ever, and I think the cartoony style really works so the expressions they have during the game dont look out of place sometimes like it happened in TS2 and TS3, but lets be critical here. They didnt try to create a real sequel to The Sims 3, they didnt try to fix some of the problems the whole town system had (becuase the idea is magnificent, it was just to ambitious for the era, but now its clearly not and could be feassible), instead they ripped that apart and regressed it one sequel ago, instead of fixing and expanding, and that was done becuase it was going to be an online game, not becuase they thought it was a better idea.

The "Maxis" right now is in reality the guys that were left from The Sims Studio, called EA Redwood Shores, helped by EA Salt Lake, while Maxis Helsinki do the horrible mobile games.
In fact, the original Maxis Emeryville you thought came back to make TS4, was sadly closed down last year after the SimCity 2013 fiasco. That was the original Maixs studios, even if it didn't had the original people working them anymore.

"But oh well, everyone complains about every new installation of the sims..." is not a realistic statement. Every game, no matter how good it is, will have its detractors, but comparing that to the huge uproar TS4 had when it was released is laughable. In fact it reminds me a lot to the uprorar of missing features RCTW is having (or even SimCity 2013, the other Maxis fiasco), but at least TS4 was a better designed game in various aspects from the get a go and that has saved them from a total failure.

TMI,
Okay I'll have to be honest, no one complained about the Sims 2 when it first came out despite the server fire which changed the game (in a good way). Sims 3 was really buggy, well in my experience.

Simcity 2013 is pure rubbish though, its like building a sims 3 world o.o maps are tiny, no subways, only different types of transport is car, trams, bus and trains... buggy again... and i don't know how stupid they were at that time but it had less than 4 SERVERS AND they thought theyll fit everyone into those servers for a series relaunch -.-

BREAKING NEWS : this is not a discuss forum anymore [big grin]

Soon to be a Planet Coaster/The Sims fanbase wiki... lol [squeeeeee]

Last edited:
Frontier surprises us again with this Dev Diary. We can see, perfectly, that these guys work with enthusiasm, with passion and they are listening the fans.

Also, they are learning from the mistakes of RCT3, and that's a good sign, for example the visitors, the coaster supports, the paths, the buildings, etc.

Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see the Beta in March! [praise]

TMI,
Okay I'll have to be honest, no one complained about the Sims 2 when it first came out despite the server fire which changed the game (in a good way). Sims 3 was really buggy, well in my experience.

Simcity 2013 is pure rubbish though, its like building a sims 3 world o.o maps are tiny, no subways, only different types of transport is car, trams, bus and trains... buggy again... and i don't know how stupid they were at that time but it had less than 4 SERVERS AND they thought theyll fit everyone into those servers for a series relaunch -.-

Soon to be a Planet Coaster/The Sims fanbase wiki... lol [squeeeeee]

Not stupid, they were mostly forced by EA.
I knew some people working at Maxis before all came down tumbling.
You would be surprised at how much big publishers force they studios to make things that are clearly bad design, only becuase some higher up did a stupid research. And you would be even more surprised as why they cant really talk about it most of the time. When you see a dev trying to excuse something and are part of a big publisher like EA or ubisoft, dont get to hard on them, they would love you to tell you the truth of whats happening behind doors but they obviously cant.
Not to excuse everythign they do, sometimes is really their fault, but there are some things that the poor guys need to do and clearly do not want to.

Wall of text!
Three sentences or less please.
This is a forum, not twitter.

Last edited:
The more you can give out for your opinion, the better you stand out for any type of argument, even internet keyboard mashers. Also, honestly. Isn't that basically a form of acting like staff by telling others what to do? I mean... There is zero rule depicting our post length at all, and I could easily go on for ten (10) paragraphs about the rules. While I won't do that, because that is a waste of my time, as well as others, not to mention it would be super annoying to see a ten (10) paragraph reply (Unless you're roleplaying, but that's for other sites, not this site.)

Brett, You're just the CM but I love the site! I love the game too! (At least for what I can see)

Can we see a Developer Diary depicting more gameplay footage, or even one (1) video with about five (5) minutes or ten (10) minutes worth of gameplay footage?

Not stupid, they were mostly forced by EA.
I knew some people working at Maxis before all came down tumbling.
You would be surprised at how much big publishers force they studios to make things that are clearly bad design, only becuase some higher up did a stupid research. And you would be even more surprised as why they cant really talk about it most of the time. When you see a dev trying to excuse something and are part of a big publisher like EA or ubisoft, dont get to hard on them, they would love you to tell you the truth of whats happening behind doors but they obviously cant.
Not to excuse everythign they do, sometimes is really their fault, but there are some things that the poor guys need to do and clearly do not want to.

This is a forum, not twitter.
EA ruins everything... they ruined playfish aswell and i loved playing all those social games, those games were fun and special... not like todays social games ew

Personally, I'd rather have well thought out replies, debate and discussion vs one liners and image only replies. (but that's just my opinion) [yesnod]

But a image can say more than thousand words. :)
I guess a mix is just right and most important is to deliver what you try to say.
And you dont deliver if most people would stop after reading the half, so sometime short is the longer lasting term^^

But a image can say more than thousand words. :) [...]
It's not completely wrong either.
Let's say that it depends on the intensity and context of the conversation.

Anyway, I'm not a "TheSims" player (because I like to build things, but a simple house is too limited for me, and I just dont care about "how to manage a virtual familly" like a tamagotchi) so I would not take part in the debate because I dont know my facts enough, but I think that every conversation like "PlanetCoaster/TheSims", "PlanetCoaster/Cities:Skylines" (which are frequently quoted games for obvious reasons) can help a lot because they have all the qualities (they should try to copy) and defects (they should strictly avoid).

These are the favorite off-topic ! [happy]

Too many gif replies imo, with you on that one Brett.
giphy.gif

But a image can say more than thousand words. :)
I guess a mix is just right and most important is to deliver what you try to say.
And you dont deliver if most people would stop after reading the half, so sometime short is the longer lasting term^^

It depends of the conversation. I thought it was something that needed more explanation because sadly in this publisher/studio cases the general audience knows half whats happening behind close doors.
The text is there if someone wants to read it, if other people dont feel to read it, well they are free to do so, but communication on the subjet is going to be lost if the conversation continues.

And im all for funny gifs as response if they make sense, but cleary this was not the case [haha]

It's not completely wrong either.
Let's say that it depends on the intensity and context of the conversation.

Anyway, I'm not a "TheSims" player (because I like to build things, but a simple house is too limited for me, and I just dont care about "how to manage a virtual familly" like a tamagotchi) so I would not take part in the debate because I dont know my facts enough, but I think that every conversation like "PlanetCoaster/TheSims", "PlanetCoaster/Cities:Skylines" (which are frequently quoted games for obvious reasons) can help a lot because they have all the qualities (they should try to copy) and defects (they should strictly avoid).

These are the favorite off-topic ! [happy]

Basically this.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
everyone seems so positive and happy here, in comparison to... well, you know where..

Im so excited for this game
Me tooooooooo!!! Very happilly amazingly happy!!! [big grin] Planet Coaster rocks! And so does Frontier!

(listening to Tread Fast, I can't help it, my apologies) [noob]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom