Development Update 1 - June

I tried to pretend having fun
You've never been in a high-grade battle to say that, boy!

In the last one I participated, not only did they burst my corvetta, but it was SPECTACULAR how I took several commanders to hell with me!

I respect your opinion, but do not restrict any possibility :p .

Thanks so, so much for sharing this!!! Really appreciate it :)
Just for my own curiosity - and I mean nothing nasty by this I'm just genuinely intrigued :)
If you have massively awesome and engaging feedback AND an interest in seeing the game progress and not die (it's not dying) but with no intent to ever play again, what do you get from engaging? Is it more the friendships you've made and just enjoying company of old Commander friends?
I understand why people who DO want to play again may not play during these turbulent times, but WILL come back when they feel the time is right for them, but not your unique standpoint.
Like, I want to learn what people like your super selves get from adamantly expressing no wish to ever play again but are active within the community? Maybe there's something valuable for me to learn.
I like the people here on the forum, Sally, it's purely a social aspect. I always thought that the only real social activity in Elite is outside of the game in this forum. I like as well most of those which are opposed to my view - and they are entitled to their view for as long as they don't personally attack me. They can always attack my arguments though.

So what do I get out of it? Why are people following the news about events in far away countries, when they aren't any likely to ever go or live there? Or why do we comment on world politics, even they are related to issues which aren't any near to our personal life nor would it effect it that much? People are just curious and so am I - I want to see what will happen to Elite, even it won't effect me personally anymore, because I have just so much time to play and won't waste it on Elite anymore, now where I know, that it isn't my kind of game. That is of course not Elite's fault, it seems to be a great game for others though - still they would need some hope for the future. If you can relay one thing to the devs, Sally, then please forward that - people need hope to stick with the game.

Oh I would like the game to be better, but I had to realize, that for me personally it's not the right game, I have more fun in a game like NMS, Subnautica or EVE on the other side. Elite isn't offering what I personally want, but that doesn't mean, that I wouldn't like Elite to succeed and be the best game it could possibly be. That I personally won't play it again doesn't really matter, I still want it to be a good game for those who have fun in Elite. You see, I had to come to the sad conclusion, that I never really had fun in Elite at all, I tried to pretend having fun, because I wanted to love Elite - but the truth is - I very rarely had moments in Elite, which are any near to "having fun" despite me trying to have fun.
Maybe I see where this comes from: Elite Dangerous tends to make you believe that once you have reached certain objectives then you will get to the ‘fun’ part. An example could be pvp fights, where you need a fully engineered ship to stand a chance. However, if can actually take a lot of grinding for all the best stuff before you actually realize that the ‘fun’ part wasn’t fun after all. I’m not saying I haven’t had fun, and a lot depends on how you approach the game psicologically, but it does tend to sell you an idea of future fun that has to be in some way earned.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore
If Elite manages to clamber out of its current doldrums they'd better build you a huge statue outside Frontier HQ.

Maybe some smaller ones of the other CMs situated slightly to the side... Maybe. ;)

Know what I would settle for? First dibs on cake selection when the Space Bar reopens.
My wish.

@sallymorganmoore I really do like Thursdays, because we see so much information being shared, we see questions being answered, even if that answer is "I really can't say right now, but there's something coming". Unfortunately, for me and players like me (about 2,000 hours in game, almost triple Elite, billions in the bank, 40+ ships, mostly fully engineered, Guardian unlocks done, at least 2 Goids done, Fleet Carrier, etc.) I think Odyssey turned out to basically be more of the same, but with on foot gameplay mechanic added. Collect materials to unlock x, deliver y to z for small amount of credits, etc. What we wanted, was new ships, new weapons, ship interiors, thargoid ground combat, new SRVs, storyline side-quests (that aren't just, collect x number of y and deliver to z) that allow us to skip some of the grindier things in Elite, like shipbuilding for PvP. To build a new FDL from scratch, if I've got no engineered modules lying around to use, I have to spend 1 - 4 hours minimum gathering materials (assuming I use relog at JJ and HGE sites, obviously), then 1 - 4 hours minimum flying around engineers to apply experimental effects and engineer things I haven't pinned, to do one fight in a ship and realise it doesn't work, then I have to go back to mat gathering and engineer travelling to re-engineer it and try something new... that's painful! I mean, it was kinda fun the first couple of times I did it, the next 38 though... not so much! I did it, because I love PvP in this game, I love goid fights, I even enjoy the PvE combat when I'm winged up with my squadron trying to win a system, but the amount of grind (repetitive gameplay I don't enjoy) to enable me to do those things I do enjoy, is huge by comparison.

I guess my question is, are any of those features coming, is any of the grind going to be changed for the better, or am I better off giving up on the game now? I've bought Elite: Horizons 4 times on 2 platforms and 2 copies of Odyssey: Alpha access, that's a lot of money (none of them were at discount...) to spend on one franchise and I've played Odyssey for probably 5 hours since the Alpha finished? Was that worth £80? No, definitely not. I'd love to be furious, but I'm just downright sad, because I absolutely adore Elite, it's the only reason I bought an X52 Pro, but at this point, I genuinely don't think there's anything coming to Elite that's going to make me want to play again. Am I wrong? Please say I'm wrong.

All that I can accept and is valid for you ... but it does sort of beg the question why you are here commenting on a game that is clearly not for you and you will not return to, you want it to do well but won't partake if it does. Is it like checking up on an ex on facebook or something?
Frankly I'm jealous, I wish I had enough spare time to enjoy the games I do want to play, let alone worrying about the ones I don't. I can't say I've ever sat down and thought 'OK what shall I do tonight, play a bit of Elite? No I know, I'll go find an online discussion forum for Bubble Witch and tell them I have no intention of playing their game, even if they were to turn it into something other than a vacuous wallet drainer.'

Maybe I see where this comes from: Elite Dangerous tends to make you believe that once you have reached certain objectives then you will get to the ‘fun’ part. An example could be pvp fights, where you need a fully engineered ship to stand a chance. However, if can actually take a lot of grinding for all the best stuff before you actually realize that the ‘fun’ part wasn’t fun after all. I’m not saying I haven’t had fun, and a lot depends on how you approach the game psicologically, but it does tend to sell you an idea of future fun that has to be in some way earned.
my pvp times are over - I neither have the time nor the aggression required to do combat pvp. I am still interested in market pvp in EVE though. I really dislike people who just see "end game" and think, that all before it would just be necessary grind - whereas that is for me "the game" and end game is something I don't want to reach. So if the fun is not in the part before "end game", then I have no fun in such a game.

@sallymorganmoore, your presence is an oasis in this forums. Your enthusiasm and passion are contagious. Thank you.

I have a small suggestion: maybe there could be small snippets of info when the devs manage to fix a bug, like "Remember thee X bug that wouldn't let you do that? Nailed it". (Just remember to include them in the patch, afterwards).
That would be good on a seperate thread just for players to test.. I know of many bugs that were reported as 'fixed' but when players tested it, they weren't fixed and it took months to get visibilty again. If you had a forum post with the fixed issues, we could test them and provide IMMEDIATE feedback.

sallymorganmoore

I like the people here on the forum, Sally, it's purely a social aspect. I always thought that the only real social activity in Elite is outside of the game in this forum.
Nice! That answers it :)

So what do I get out of it? Why are people following the news about events in far away countries, when they aren't any likely to ever go or live there? Or why do we comment on world politics, even they are related to issues which aren't any near to our personal life nor would it effect it that much?

Welllllllll I wouldn't say everyone does these things though, right? Which is why I was so curious to learn more from those who do, like you :)
I mean, sorry I DO of course follow the news and watch what's going on with current affairs that I can't avoid because they might impact me/family/friends/life - but if something doesn't impact me in a potentially life changing way, like a game I'll never play, which is veryyyyy different to world news and politics, or I can't help with, then I don't tend to engage heavily.

In conclusion of what you're saying (and THANK YOU for so politely helping me to understand :)), I'm at least really warmed and happy by the fact that despite you having no wish to play ED again, something good and long standing actually did come out of the game for you - and that's the community huddle. Friends. Common ground conversation.
They're (you're) all amazing to be around - I agree.

Thanks again, Lysette!

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore, your presence is an oasis in this forums. Your enthusiasm and passion are contagious. Thank you.

I have a small suggestion: maybe there could be small snippets of info when the devs manage to fix a bug, like "Remember the X bug that wouldn't let you do that? Nailed it". (Just remember to include them in the patch, afterwards).

BIG o7 and thanks for the kindness, Yianniv!
I really like those suggestions. I'm trying to do that now actually - like with the server flip/blip this morning. A super Commander did hint that it would be nice to know more, even a little bit as ti why the servers coughed for a short moment...and why not?! Sure! If I have the accurate info to hand I will totally give it.
Will really be mindful to keep improving on that :) Glad it helps.

That would be good on a seperate thread just for players to test.. I know of many bugs that were reported as 'fixed' but when players tested it, they weren't fixed and it took months to get visibilty again. If you had a forum post with the fixed issues, we could test them and provide IMMEDIATE feedback.
That would imply a group of players with access to beta builds, would be even better. In my suggestion I was referring to the work being done for the next patch.

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore I really do like Thursdays, because we see so much information being shared, we see questions being answered, even if that answer is "I really can't say right now, but there's something coming". Unfortunately, for me and players like me (about 2,000 hours in game, almost triple Elite, billions in the bank, 40+ ships, mostly fully engineered, Guardian unlocks done, at least 2 Goids done, Fleet Carrier, etc.) I think Odyssey turned out to basically be more of the same, but with on foot gameplay mechanic added. Collect materials to unlock x, deliver y to z for small amount of credits, etc. What we wanted, was new ships, new weapons, ship interiors, thargoid ground combat, new SRVs, storyline side-quests (that aren't just, collect x number of y and deliver to z) that allow us to skip some of the grindier things in Elite, like shipbuilding for PvP. To build a new FDL from scratch, if I've got no engineered modules lying around to use, I have to spend 1 - 4 hours minimum gathering materials (assuming I use relog at JJ and HGE sites, obviously), then 1 - 4 hours minimum flying around engineers to apply experimental effects and engineer things I haven't pinned, to do one fight in a ship and realise it doesn't work, then I have to go back to mat gathering and engineer travelling to re-engineer it and try something new... that's painful! I mean, it was kinda fun the first couple of times I did it, the next 38 though... not so much! I did it, because I love PvP in this game, I love goid fights, I even enjoy the PvE combat when I'm winged up with my squadron trying to win a system, but the amount of grind (repetitive gameplay I don't enjoy) to enable me to do those things I do enjoy, is huge by comparison.

I guess my question is, are any of those features coming, is any of the grind going to be changed for the better, or am I better off giving up on the game now? I've bought Elite: Horizons 4 times on 2 platforms and 2 copies of Odyssey: Alpha access, that's a lot of money (none of them were at discount...) to spend on one franchise and I've played Odyssey for probably 5 hours since the Alpha finished? Was that worth £80? No, definitely not. I'd love to be furious, but I'm just downright sad, because I absolutely adore Elite, it's the only reason I bought an X52 Pro, but at this point, I genuinely don't think there's anything coming to Elite that's going to make me want to play again. Am I wrong? Please say I'm wrong.

Hehee I think you predicted what was coming when you said "even if that answer is "I really can't say right now, but there's something coming".
I'm so sorry but again, all of the awesome things you mention in your comment can't be answered just by me throwing out casual answers here in a reply. I can still keep saying that we are pedalling with the pending Update 6 which...we honestly can't wait to share. Like I literally can't wait to start compiling those patch notes, my hands are SO READY!!!
All I can keep doing for now is absorbing your words, feeding back, making notes and soon enough we will get there.
Thanks so much for your time on feedback, as always.

That would imply a group of players with access to beta builds, would be even better. In my suggestion I was referring to the work being done for the next patch.
Yeah so was I! If someone said right now on that thread that invisible rocks had been fixed.. we could go out right now and test if it was so, thousands of QA testers working for free, someone would quickly discover if it wasn't fixed and report back quickly to fdev who could look at it and collect the data there and then.

Heavily moderate the channel so it's not lost in noise. This could really be beneficial I think. What's your opinion @sallymorganmoore ?

sallymorganmoore

Yeah so was I! If someone said right now on that thread that invisible rocks had been fixed.. we could go out right now and test if it was so, thousands of QA testers working for free, someone would quickly discover if it wasn't fixed and report back quickly to fdev who could look at it and collect the data there and then.

Heavily moderate the channel so it's not lost in noise. This could really be beneficial I think. What's your opinion @sallymorganmoore ?

If everything was that easy to coordinate :')

Top Bottom