Discuss: Subsurface Mining could use a tad bit higher numbers

As the title suggests. According to FDev the tier list for income of mining activities is:
Laser < Abrasion < Subsurface < Core.
And every time I tried my hand at Subsurface stuff, the yield and price of the commodity as well as the general hassle of low ammo and constant struggle with the minigame just ruin any fun or enjoyment one could gain from this activity.
I dunnow, could use some work by either sharpening the result window or do what people suggested in the past and add core ores into the mix, making SS an alternative for really small ships without medium hardpoints.

Any Thoughts and or Experiences you wish to share?

I was fine with the price nerfs, we needed some sanity in mining profits after all. However, I really think they should have left yields alone for subsurface, or nerfed them far less than they did. Even if I am making a lot less money per ton, the activity would feel more rewarding if I was actually getting yields greater than the nearly nothing we have now. It does not have to be like it was during the Age of Eggsploit, but maybe split the difference at least.

Aw that sucks to hear, while I find laser mining mind numbing my short stint in ss mining was enjoyable, though kind of a pain in vr.

You have to be kidding right? SSD was finally worth bothering with and they nerfed it? That's about the only thing that made Tritium mining viable at all?

WTH?

You have to be kidding right? SSD was finally worth bothering with and they nerfed it? That's about the only thing that made Tritium mining viable at all?

WTH?
Yep, right now SSD mining is only something you do if you enjoy the minigame involved. Really, if you are into profits per hour, laser is all that is left. Even finding profitable rocks to crack with seismic charges is a bit too hit or miss unless you just enjoy the activity.

Weird discovery of the day: Subsurface Deposits give 60% more inside ANY hotspot, even ones that don't match up. I was getting 60% more tritium inside a Void Opal hotspot.

As the title suggests. According to FDev the tier list for income of mining activities is:
Laser < Abrasion < Subsurface < Core.
And every time I tried my hand at Subsurface stuff, the yield and price of the commodity as well as the general hassle of low ammo and constant struggle with the minigame just ruin any fun or enjoyment one could gain from this activity.
I dunnow, could use some work by either sharpening the result window or do what people suggested in the past and add core ores into the mix, making SS an alternative for really small ships without medium hardpoints.

Any Thoughts and or Experiences you wish to share?

I've always though LTD and void opals should be available in sub surface deposits, but alas, FDev in their infinite wisdom forgot to add it, much like they forgot to add C1 seismic charge launchers.

price wise... not too much issue with that side of things, i do find it irritating that hot spots don't contain the material your actually looking for (both sub surface and cores) and equally the UI could just be simpler to find the right rock by colour rather than a obscure shade of orange that glitches with the PWA and is just a level of unnecessary obfustication.

aqxY7eH.png

I've always though LTD and void opals should be available in sub surface deposits, but alas, FDev in their infinite wisdom forgot to add it, much like they forgot to add C1 seismic charge launchers.

Agreed. Big time.

...equally the UI could just be simpler to find the right rock by colour rather than a obscure shade of orange that glitches with the PWA and is just a level of unnecessary obfustication.

I never found it difficult to pick out the core rocks, and focusing on discerning valuable rocks from the not-so was the only expenditure of brain power demanded while mining. Any easier and it might as will be doable on auto-snooze like laser mining.

Granted it is probably a pain for color blind people, but FD openly doesn't give a toss about them so no surprises there. Unfortunately.

I have no issue with the results, I get a lot of my stuff through subsurface mining. When you get it right, I normally release three chunks at a time. For a long time however, I have felt it's a harsh business. First, you have to find the rock. Then you have to be able to line up the shot, then you have to release at the correct time. I would like to eliminate the release part.

Laser, hold, collect, release when depleted.
Core, fire, release for strength of charge, collect.

Subsurface should sit in the middle of these, the mechanics of it are as hard as core mining. Possibly harder as the target to hit (both on the rock and the indicator) are harder to land than core mining.

I would prefer, that you have to line up the shot, much like abrasion and it does the rest for you.

I now never bother attempting it on a rock that is spinning at a speed where I have to move my craft to get a second shot in. Life is too short for that.

And for those about to slate this idea, no, I haven't thought it through.

much like they forgot to add C1 seismic charge launchers.
That was probably deliberate, most non-engineered ships with only small hardpoints would probably blow themselves up first time they tried to used them:)

They would be handy on my T9 miners, would then be able to fit a C2 SSDM, keep running out of ammo with a C1.

Maybe an idea for a future CG, If it then became available only via a Broker and costing in mined commodities it would only be available to experienced miners😎

That was probably deliberate, most non-engineered ships with only small hardpoints would probably blow themselves up first time they tried to used them:)

They would be handy on my T9 miners, would then be able to fit a C2 SSDM, keep running out of ammo with a C1.

Maybe an idea for a future CG, If it then became available only via a Broker and costing in mined commodities it would only be available to experienced miners😎

We'd like the option to blow ourselves up though.

Yep, right now SSD mining is only something you do if you enjoy the minigame involved. Really, if you are into profits per hour, laser is all that is left. Even finding profitable rocks to crack with seismic charges is a bit too hit or miss unless you just enjoy the activity.
God I seriously do not understand them. Why? It was finally meaningful. The results were not outrageous but worth doing if you found 2 or 3 on a rock. Its the most involved of the activities in terms of needing some skill and timing. Things were pretty good other than almost no cores to be found now its “S#%w you CMDR. Interest and fun have been detected. Back to the mindless and boring lasers for you”!

Each missile hitting a SSD should release like 6 fragments.
Currently getting 1-2 tops makes it a hassle, one that is not worthy to lose time with.
Especially when finding a rotating asteroid

Top Bottom