DLC18 discussion and predictions

Ive seen pelicans as single habitat animals, multi species waterbird enclosures and as throw ins for star animals.
So imo they work as single focus animals, highlighter in mixed species exhibits and aswell as fillers in mixed species exhibits.
Personally i would be fine with any species but the great white definetly has the best groundwork laid out for it, having alot of potential habitat mates which inlcudes other birds, Thats something no other can say

The pelicans I've seen in zoos have either been on large naturalistic lakes shared with many other waterbirds or the main features of their own habitats - at the Adelaide Zoo the pelicans are popular enough to have their own daily keeper talk and feed, an honour afforded to few other species. They feel like they'd stand better on their own than any singular duck would, which is why, whilst a duck is still very important to have, I have a slight preference for a pelican.

Ive seen pelicans as single habitat animals, multi species waterbird enclosures and as throw ins for star animals.
So imo they work as single focus animals, highlighter in mixed species exhibits and aswell as fillers in mixed species exhibits.
Personally i would be fine with any species but the great white definetly has the best groundwork laid out for it, having alot of potential habitat mates which inlcudes other birds, Thats something no other can say
That's why i think they are a great inclusion for the game. The are very versatile. Specially if we get the Brown or the great White. Plus they are iconic, funny looking and very different from other birds we have.

So PLEASE Frontier i know you won't give me my South América pack so can i least get a pelican? 🥹

The pelicans I've seen in zoos have either been on large naturalistic lakes shared with many other waterbirds or the main features of their own habitats - at the Adelaide Zoo the pelicans are popular enough to have their own daily keeper talk and feed, an honour afforded to few other species (those being the tigers, giant pandas and penguins, so real heavy hitters). They feel like they'd stand better on their own than any singular duck would, which is why, whilst a duck is still very important to have, I have a slight preference for a pelican.Are australian pelicans kept with little blues?
True, but a duck doesnt necessarily stand on its own. Ofcourse this depends on the species but the mandarin for example would already have the crane and swan in game with which it overlaps in range and could easily share a habitat without looking off, same with the whistling duck and penguins and flamingos.

Are australian pelicans kept with little blues? Thought of this while thinking about potential bird mixes for pelicans, but i feel like the penguins are very much in the size range to be eaten by the pelicans

If there was a zoo keepers collection pack I think it would take place in UK, that would represent frontiers hq where they reside and it will be in a temperate biome. The staue probably being either the most wanted, but if they do a walrus that would be also good.
Probably will have like a suburban area like kinda like eurasia
Barnyard's scenario takes place in New Zealand, when Oceania already took place in the Chatham islands, which is a bit odd, so you might have a point there.

I find it interesting that South America is the only DLC without a Scenario.

I haven't seen pelicans in that many zoos. Singapore Zoo featured them a bit more, but even then, they were paired with monkeys. On the other hand, I think I've seen ducks in more than half of the zoos I've attended. My main thought was that they would be most likely to show up in a coastal pack, where there are so many strong contenders that I don't think the pelican would be the main selling point for most people. If the animations are as fun as those of the Kiwi's, I imagine more people would build separate enclosures to highlight them.
To be fair, Pelicans are a significantly less diverse group than Ducks, also larger, less colourful, & exclusively eat fish which is more expensive.

Mandarin ducks on the other hand are small, colourful and cheap, which would be the main reason they are in so many zoos (607 zoos in Zootierliste, 538 for Black swan, 432 for Mute Swan, 363 for Mallard, vs. 258 for Great White Pelican, 112 for Dalmatian Pelican, 81 for Pink-backed pelican)

True, but a duck doesnt necessarily stand on its own. Ofcourse this depends on the species but the mandarin for example would already have the crane and swan in game with which it overlaps in range and could easily share a habitat without looking off, same with the whistling duck and penguins and flamingos.

Are australian pelicans kept with little blues? Thought of this while thinking about potential bird mixes for pelicans, but i feel like the penguins are very much in the size range to be eaten by the pelicans
Adelaide zoo has Australian Pelicans, I think they're all animals that got caught in fishing nets/lines and had to have their wing partly amputated. Same situation for most Cape Barren geese in the same enclosure.

Little penguins have their own enclosure at the zoo.

Little Penguins are about the size of a prey item, so I think there's a reason they aren't kept together. There is the meme of a Pelican trying to eat a Capybara, so they definitely strike me as a bird that will try to eat smaller animals at some point.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Australian pelicans and little penguins being mixed, probably for the risk of being eaten as you said.

In regards to mixes in zoos in my local area:
  • Adelaide Zoo keeps them with Cape Barren geese, whilst wild Australian white ibis and nankeen night-heron are permanent residents of the habitat on their own terms. Bush stone-curlew were also kept with the pelicans in the past, although they're in the Australian rainforest walkthrough aviary now
  • Cleland Wildlife Park keeps them on a big lake with many other waterbirds - this includes some other captive animals, like magpie geese and Cape Barren geese, but also a large number of wild birds
  • Gorge Wildlife Park keeps them in their own habitat without mixing them with other species iirc

Adelaide Zoo keeps them with Cape Barren geese, whilst wild Australian white ibis and nankeen night-heron are permanent residents of the habitat on their own terms. Bush stone-curlew were also kept with the pelicans in the past, although they're in the Australian rainforest walkthrough aviary now
Cleland Wildlife Park keeps them on a big lake with many other waterbirds - this includes some other captive animals, like magpie geese and Cape Barren geese, but also a large number of wild birds
Gorge Wildlife Park keeps them in their own habitat without mixing them with other species iirc
Aww shucks Frontier. Looks like if you give us a pelican you just have to give us a bunch of other awesome birds to have cool interspecies bonuses. Aww, what a shame! Well I have my credit card ready Frontier, would you like it now or later?

That Frontier employ who knows they have to update the outsource_iqa knowing we also watch the Steamdb like a bunch of hawks:
1721392823093.jpeg

One thing we consistently forget about in speculation is what will the campaign mission will look like
  • where will it take place (biome and continent)
  • will it have its own unique map
  • timed vs standard
  • what potential statue
  • how many

After playing through the campaign recently I have begun to appreciate the maps more and think alot of people here should as well because I have seen a few people ask for an island map that connects to water and a map with a city backdrop both those do exist within the game but only as campaign maps
Can only talk for myself but the new campaign Mission are allways the least interesting part of each update.
I like the statues and thats about it.

Everybody plays the game differently, but imo a time based challenge mode in a game which main strenght is its highly detailed building system which takes alot of time and effort is quite the paradox.
The management of the game isnt deep enough for actual interesting Management gameplay so all thats left is ugly fast pragmatic builds which bring me neither joy or pride.

And the maps are pretty whatever, with a bit of patience its nothing we cant do ourself

Also I know we talked about it before, but seeing the official Planet Zoo social media accounts not post anything a week at a time is pretty sad. Like I get the new PC2 is coming, and a new Community Manager was hired. But the radio silence for a week at a time is so disheartening. Not even screenshot highlights, or showing off community builds anymore. I get that PZ support won’t last forever, but as the game is still being actively worked on you would think there would be a bit more.

The pelicans I've seen in zoos have either been on large naturalistic lakes shared with many other waterbirds or the main features of their own habitats - at the Adelaide Zoo the pelicans are popular enough to have their own daily keeper talk and feed, an honour afforded to few other species. They feel like they'd stand better on their own than any singular duck would, which is why, whilst a duck is still very important to have, I have a slight preference for a pelican.
Faunia in Madrid had a paid experience to feed the pelicans too!

I've never heard of Australian pelicans and little penguins being mixed, probably for the risk of being eaten as you said.

In regards to mixes in zoos in my local area:
  • Adelaide Zoo keeps them with Cape Barren geese, whilst wild Australian white ibis and nankeen night-heron are permanent residents of the habitat on their own terms. Bush stone-curlew were also kept with the pelicans in the past, although they're in the Australian rainforest walkthrough aviary now
  • Cleland Wildlife Park keeps them on a big lake with many other waterbirds - this includes some other captive animals, like magpie geese and Cape Barren geese, but also a large number of wild birds
  • Gorge Wildlife Park keeps them in their own habitat without mixing them with other species iirc
When I went to Pairi Daiza in Belgium in 2018, they had Australian Pelicans with Red kangaroos. Unsure if anything changed since then

I've heard of pelicans being mixed with penguins before, specifically Brown pelicans with Humboldt penguins and Peruvian with Magellanic. I'd be curious to know if anywhere mixed Great white pelicans with African penguins.

I've heard of pelicans being mixed with penguins before, specifically Brown pelicans with Humboldt penguins and Peruvian with Magellanic. I'd be curious to know if anywhere mixed Great white pelicans with African penguins.
I’m sure it can be done, I know some pelicans are known to prey on smaller birds. But with ample space/ removal of small young/ isolating parents + young/ ample feeding it’s all gonna be less of an issue. In which case I would say that’s another point for the great white pelican if it can be housed with the African penguins.

I want the brown pelican more, but if we get the brown Pelican I really want the Caribbean flamingo too. That way I can choose to house the BP with either California sea lions, or the flamingos. Right now the great white pelican just has more interspecies bonuses I can use.

Uh oh planet zoo, looks like I need new penguins, cormorants, and pelicans! Cash or credit?

In all seriousness sea birds can and should work in PZ it’s the same the only ones we got are the penguins.
There is a cormorant mod that came up the other day which look amazing. Movement looks a little funky tho as its based on the lil blue.
Same for puffins.
Definetly planning to do a mix of these two in my current projetc, awell as another try on the penguin/flamingo/pelican/whisleing duck aviary i did a couple weeks ago. Just gonna brute force every waterbird into this zoo that i can get my hands on :D

There is a cormorant mod that came up the other day which look amazing. Movement looks a little funky tho as its based on the lil blue.
Same for puffins.
Definetly planning to do a mix of these two in my current projetc, awell as another try on the penguin/flamingo/pelican/whisleing duck aviary i did a couple weeks ago. Just gonna brute force every waterbird into this zoo that i can get my hands on :D
Yeah if the sounds + some of the jank could be worked it I would get into modding way more. That all sounds awesome! I’m just waiting for the off chance that this dlc really does add a lot of the stuff I have been waiting for. I’m not expecting it to happen, but I am very open to Frontier being like “y’all wanted birds and monkeys, well here ya go”

Back
Top Bottom