DLC18 discussion and predictions

Everybody plays the game differently, but imo a time based challenge mode in a game which main strenght is its highly detailed building system which takes alot of time and effort is quite the paradox.
The management of the game isnt deep enough for actual interesting Management gameplay so all thats left is ugly fast pragmatic builds which bring me neither joy or pride.
I have never even had the will to try one of these because they sound horrible

When I went to Pairi Daiza in Belgium in 2018, they had Australian Pelicans with Red kangaroos. Unsure if anything changed since then
Last year they were in an aviary with smaller birds like budgies & parrots. Kangaroos were next to it

There is a cormorant mod that came up the other day which look amazing. Movement looks a little funky tho as its based on the lil blue.
Same for puffins.
Definetly planning to do a mix of these two in my current projetc, awell as another try on the penguin/flamingo/pelican/whisleing duck aviary i did a couple weeks ago. Just gonna brute force every waterbird into this zoo that i can get my hands on :D
Dude that cormorant mod in fantastic. Did you realize that it says that it has a custom animations for the sunbathing behaviour?

I don't get it. Why are new animations possible but not new sounds 😂

Dude that cormorant mod in fantastic. Did you realize that it says that it has a custom animations for the sunbathing behaviour?

I don't get it. Why are new animations possible but not new sounds 😂
It takes time to access the various parts of the game... remember, for the longest time juvenile models couldn't be resized and exhibit mods were impossible... now modders can work with both.

Last edited:
One thing we consistently forget about in speculation is what will the campaign mission will look like
  • where will it take place (biome and continent)
  • will it have its own unique map
  • timed vs standard
  • what potential statue
  • how many

After playing through the campaign recently I have begun to appreciate the maps more and think alot of people here should as well because I have seen a few people ask for an island map that connects to water and a map with a city backdrop both those do exist within the game but only as campaign maps
I like the campaign scenarios and I have completed all of them. Unfortunately I have the feeling that for the last dlcs Frontier has put more work into making a beautiful scenario for the trailer of the dlc which is not released than into the actual campaign scenario that is part of the dlc.

Africa and South America have a lot of empty space on the map where they can put the reward statue, so I'm hoping for a coati or baboon statue. However the Himalayas is also empty on the map and a Markhor statue would be pretty cool too.

So I did some brainstorming on when dlcs could be coming out
Next month makes sense as they haven’t announced a console bundle for august (correct me if I’m wrong).
PC2 is set for fall, not specified for what month but could be anytime between September-November. I imagine frontier would likely want to pull all staff onboard for any last minute touches on PC2 or to at least be on standby should PC2 have bugs or difficult launch and likely on standby until a minor patch for Pc2 is taken care of. With the months in between to get dlcs for consoles taken care of.
Leaving us with:
Hopefully a 5th year anniversary surprise and maybe a December farewell.

So I did some brainstorming on when dlcs could be coming out
Next month makes sense as they haven’t announced a console bundle for august (correct me if I’m wrong).
PC2 is set for fall, not specified for what month but could be anytime between September-November. I imagine frontier would likely want to pull all staff onboard for any last minute touches on PC2 or to at least be on standby should PC2 have bugs or difficult launch and likely on standby until a minor patch for Pc2 is taken care of. With the months in between to get dlcs for consoles taken care of.
Leaving us with:
Hopefully a 5th year anniversary surprise and maybe a December farewell.
Console bundles are every two months, next one is 31st of July, so the one after should be late September.

PC2 is pretty much guaranteed for November (like PC1, JWE2 & PZ), though I wouldn't be surprised at hogging the spotlight every stream. As to taking up workers, sure, so would JWE3 at this point, aiming for June of next year, but they do seem to keep a selection of core staff on each franchise, with several freed up from the F1 manager series ending.

Late August does seem the likely time for the next DLC, having been used as the Summer + Autumn spot before. If it isn't August, then that leaves typical Autumn or Winter spots for the next DLC, being guaranteed for this year at least.

Last edited:
Hard disagree on that. Pelicans aren't typical filler animals but main stars. I've actually never been to a zoo where they used them as filler animals. They would be suitable for all kinds of use imo, as standalone, as filler, as combination.
the only time I have seen them the werent marked on the map and had a small solo habitat along the path of the coastal area in the zoo. Pelicans are a middle tier animals capable of being elevated to the star species but also can serve as filler when required.

Also I would like to point out the only fencing was a rope fence so the for sure would work in our current systems

In my opinion a pelican is a much better addition to the game then a duck since ducks are almost exclusively used in mixed habitats or to fill out a natural or very decorative ponds I have never seen a duck have its own habitat. The swan covers most uses of a duck in general so a duck would be nice but pelican would be better.

Can only talk for myself but the new campaign Mission are allways the least interesting part of each update.
I like the statues and thats about it.

Everybody plays the game differently, but imo a time based challenge mode in a game which main strenght is its highly detailed building system which takes alot of time and effort is quite the paradox.
The management of the game isnt deep enough for actual interesting Management gameplay so all thats left is ugly fast pragmatic builds which bring me neither joy or pride.

And the maps are pretty whatever, with a bit of patience its nothing we cant do ourself
I am so happy they stopped with the time based challenges everything since twilight has been un timed.

Yeah the scenery in the maps can be replicated and the build are fine but almost every map has something special outside the map boundaries whether that be a city landscape, being on an island, smaller or different borders. I also thought the same way as you that the scenarios weren't worth much and I still hate playing through them but the map features make me curious to see whats added even if all I do is open it up in sandbox and bulldoze everything.

Decided to throw my hat in the ring and make a “ZooKeeper Collection Pack”, and likewise I wanted to make a free update to go with it. Spoilers for the pack, but my main focus would be on fixing the climbing system, while adding a number of the top animals on the meta wishlist. By a number of “top animals on the meta wishlist” I’m also including the general want for more monkeys and birds in there. I’m also not really planning on this being a “realistic” speculative pack. I plan on the pack being bigger than average, with around 12 animals, and while there would be no props (besides the regular signs and new plants) I would have more focus be on what comes in the free update.

With that being said here would be my choices for a ZooKeeper Collection Pack:
  1. Hamadryas Baboon
  2. Golden Lion Tamarin
  3. Black Howler monkey
  4. Tree Kangaroo
  5. White nosed Coati
  6. Ocelot
  7. Secretary bird
  8. Brown Pelican
  9. White faced Whistling duck
  10. Grey Crowned Crane
  11. Golden Pheasant
  12. Roseate Spoonbill
I originally typed up a massive response to why I chose each animal, but the page refreshed and I lost it all. Oh well. I’ll make a summarized list of my reasoning:
  • This is the final dlc, while I made this list “unrealistic” if Frontier was gonna give us monkeys now is the time to do it! All three species are high on the meta wishlist.
  • Besides primates, I wanted some non-primate mammals. I also wanted this list to boost South America quite a bit. So that explains the ocelot and coati. The tree kangaroo is just too popular to not be in a climbing dlc.
  • Of the birds I picked, the pheasant, pelican, and duck seem out of place in a dlc focused on the climbing system. But all three species I picked make use of perches! I just imagine the dlc will handle their pathing system a bit differently (I’ll get more into that later). So the secretary bird, roseate spoonbill, and grey crowned crane are far more traditional in that sense.
Now it is time for the Free Update:
  1. Improved pathing system for climbing structures and arboreal animals. (I really wouldn’t be sure how to word this but I think you get the idea)
  2. Keepers can now reach food/ water bowls and enrichment items as high as 4 meters off the ground. So now if you want to make a habitat with arboreal animals not everything has to be right next to the ground for keepers to reach.
  3. Added a number of new enrichment items, including the: large mirror, tree swing, fake snake, fish pool, and nest tower. The large mirror can be used by primates, big cats, and canine species. The tree swing can be used by all primates. The fake snake is for the secretary bird exclusively. The fish pool is for the raccoons, otters, pelicans, penguins, and a number of other animals. Finally the nest tower is used for the secretary bird, grey crowned crane, and roseate spoonbill.
  4. For the birds and perching, they can use the climbing structures. Obviously the birds can’t fly between objects, but I imagine they can “jump” up to certain set heights. At max any bird can go up to 8m into the air. The chicken can fly up to objects as high as 2m. The pelican, golden pheasant, and duck can go to structures as high as 4m. The secretary bird, peacock, roseate spoonbill, and grey crowned crane, can go to structures as high as 8m.
  5. I am a huge fan of the education stations, and I think we could use some more. So besides the giraffe, gorilla, paw prints, and soundboard I would add some more. I would personally do the following, while using some more dlc animals: kangaroo long jump, bird wingspan, breath holder, animal tooth comparison, biome maps, and antler/horn comparison.
  6. Finally, the free update would also include a handful of new free signs.
This is all I have for now, but would probably be my dream outcome for the final dlc and free update.

RightWhale's above is the best animal roster I've seen. My slightly modified version, adhering more to the meta-wishlist and being conservative on new rigs, would be something like:
Planet Zoo: Zookeeper's Collection
1. Hamadryas baboon (headliner)
2. Black howler
3. Patagonian mara
4. South American coati
5. Walrus
6. Greater rhea
7. Secretary bird
8. Great white pelican
9. Mandarin duck
10. Grey crowned crane
11. King cobra (exhibit)
12. Veiled chameleon (exhibit)
Free update adds a few things, predominantly ported scenery and foliage from Planet Coaster (e.g. the driftwood).

Most of our lists for a Zookeeper collection are quite similar now and many species are duplicating:

My Idea for a Final DLC - Zookeeper animal pack collection for August are:

1. Great white pelican
2. Coati
3. Howler monkey
4. Rhea
5. Spectacled bear
6. Serval
7. Baboon
8. Père David’s deer
9. Tree kangaroo
10. Musk ox
11. Gray crowned crane
Ex: Golden lion tamarin

Still betting on only 8 animals.
  1. Hamadryas Baboon (headliner)
  2. Black Howler Monkey / Golden Lion Tamarin (lets be honest we'll probably only get 1 of these)
  3. South American Coati
  4. Great White Pelican
  5. Serval
  6. Greater Rhea
  7. Blackbuck / Aoudad / Markhor
  8. King Cobra (E)
3 for Africa, 3 for South America and a couple for Asia. Yes a couple miss out like the Secretary or Tree roo but trying to be realistic.

Still betting on only 8 animals.
Oh absolutely, I would strongly discourage anyone from thinking this pack will be bigger. Could it be bigger like how a lot of final DLCs are bigger? Maybe. I just wouldn’t count on it, especially as Planet Zoo has its DLCs be very safe.

The only way I can genuinely see this pack having over 8 animals is if they pull a grasslands and have multiple WTE animals. That is, if Frontier ever even wants to revisit the WTE.

I can maybe see getting birds in the WTE, in the way JWE1 got pteranodons at the end. I just think the odds are something like 95:5, 95% chance we don’t get any birds, 5% frontier gives us some parrots or something. If we do get birds in the WTE that is my sign that it’s the last dlc.

Oh absolutely, I would strongly discourage anyone from thinking this pack will be bigger. Could it be bigger like how a lot of final DLCs are bigger? Maybe. I just wouldn’t count on it, especially as Planet Zoo has its DLCs be very safe.

The only way I can genuinely see this pack having over 8 animals is if they pull a grasslands and have multiple WTE animals. That is, if Frontier ever even wants to revisit the WTE.

I can maybe see getting birds in the WTE, in the way JWE1 got pteranodons at the end. I just think the odds are something like 95:5, 95% chance we don’t get any birds, 5% frontier gives us some parrots or something. If we do get birds in the WTE that is my sign that it’s the last dlc.
But you can also get away way more easier with just pteranodon in a dinosaur game vs only scarlet macaw for example in planet zoo.
Idk i feel the chance of us getting 1 we bird is even smaller than us getting a aviary pack

Man you just posted your prediction for 12 just 3 posts above 😂

At this point I honestly don’t care anymore what we would get in the next pack, because there is no way that they would add all the species that we think are crucial.

So I’m just happy that something still awaits us and if it’s really the last pack it would definitely leave many people with disappointment anyway.

Even if it’s with the South American birds and monkeys only.

Back
Top Bottom