Do we have a ETA on the cure for the beige plague?

The changes looks pretty good from an early look. Im going to have to get a new graphics card!

I'd planned to follow my usual upgrade route and get a 980Ti after the price drop when the 10x series was released since I just can't justify spending the cash for the top end of whatever the current range at the time is. Only yeah, this time that significant price drop just didn't happen, so I've been leaving it.

I think I'm going to have to go for it at Christmas though and just accept that I won't even be buying the top end of the previous range, it will just be a bang average mid-range 10x and I will no doubt find myself wanting to improve it again in 18 months. When again, I won't have the money for anything better.

I'd planned to follow my usual upgrade route and get a 980Ti after the price drop when the 10x series was released since I just can't justify spending the cash for the top end of whatever the current range at the time is. Only yeah, this time that significant price drop just didn't happen, so I've been leaving it.

I think I'm going to have to go for it at Christmas though and just accept that I won't even be buying the top end of the previous range, it will just be a bang average mid-range 10x and I will no doubt find myself wanting to improve it again in 18 months. When again, I won't have the money for anything better.

The 980 is still more than enough.

I have a GTX1060 which is slightly inferior to the GTX980 (although it has more VRAM, 6GB, in this game makes no difference as it's not a very texture intensive game) and I play with ultra settings.

Last edited:
Not until we kill, bury, dig up, burn, and bury again this theory that consoles were to blame for beige planets to begin with :p

Haha, it might rather be a better idea to do that to this thread instead.
Only someone arguing from a point of total ignorance could even consider that theory anything like valid.

Current generation consoles are not as far behind current PC hardware as their historical cousins were (older consoles were further behind the PC hardware of the same era - relatively speaking).

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
They saved it up and cashed that request when I didn't expect it. :)

Scheming conniving little ...

Try to avoid the probation thingy...its even more annoying than it sounds.

If I drank, Id have a wee dram with ye...but I dont drink...its safer when I avoid alcohol trust me on this...it has a very detrimental effect on me where I would start fights with my own shadow if other people aint around. I have alternatives...pain relief in my old age, me doctor can confirm, hes the guy in the bunny outfit writhing around on the floor trying to eat the curtains. Told him not to mix the red ones with the little yellow ones but oh no, hes the doctor he knew best...good luck getting anything coherent outta that mess.

I gotta be careful now...Im actually really pleased with frontier fer a change...in danger of becoming a white knight. Just the thought makes the hairs on the back of me neck stand up...most unnatural ^

I'm just gonna post this again because it's not been posted on this page of the thread yet:

iXzyoiI.png

OxCCHpx.gif

I was looking at a 1060. With a trade in of my 960 it shouldn't be too much of a blow to the wallet.

verminstar

Banned

I remember these discussions when I had a PC...ah the good old days. Ye know fer the price of a card, I could get a scorpio which Im planning on doing over xmas, funds permitting. First time in 30 years I have no PC...cool time in my life to become a console convert. Even if I did have the money fer a new PC, which I really dont, I would probably just stick with the bone anyway...everything is just easier ^

Q1 2018 starts in a little over two months. We are in October now. The wait will be insufferable. But that’s okay. I need so so many credits if I am bringing home that ungodly type-10 and that Lakon-but-not-really chieftain. 3 billion in total assets seemed so much last week. Oh dear. Back on to the credit treadle.

I was looking at a 1060. With a trade in of my 960 it shouldn't be too much of a blow to the wallet.

Yeah a 1060 is probably what I'm going to end up with. Resale value on my current card is essentially nil so whatever I end up buying I will be funding fully from new cash. That's the problem with leaving it too long to upgrade, do it every 18 months or so and you can partly offset the cost of your new card by selling the old, leave it much longer and especially if you go through two generations of card, whatever is in your PC is just a paperweight.

I could afford a 1070 in terms of 'I have the money in the bank' but having it and spending it aren't the same thing, it's trying to weigh up whether the extra cash spent now would be worth it in terms of the additional longevity it would provide, weighed against spending less now and hoping that the price points are more attractive when my next upgrade is due.

Looking at those pics again, they are pretty much exactly what I wanted in terms of improvements. When people in this (and other) threads talked about people wanting the game to look like NMS and I said 'No, that's the last thing I want but there's room for a great deal more variety without needing to make everything look like a cartoon' those pictures are basically what was in my mind, it's like FDev took a peek inside my head and rendered it lol. They all look great, there's significant variety but every one of them still looks as if it could be real, not like a kid's drawing. If they genuinely end up looking that good in-game, I'll be delighted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom