Do you think we will ever get something like this?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure there is a major flight model update about to be rolled out soon. (Not aimed at you) I have to be honest here, the whole sci fi geek 'bash the hell out of anything that is not my favorite show/series/game' is really tiresome.

Have been following SC a lot lately, it looks great, runs amazing on a decent rig (which means once optimzed will run great on average hardware) As much as I love Elite, the SC devs are really doing a great job considering the massive scope and pressure put on them by the head honcho.

We need more open world space sims, I'll support any dev going in that direction.. And no I haven't spent a penny on ships, I'll get them through game credits on release. Had a chance to demo the Aegis reclaimer on a friends rig, spent quite a while touring the ship, and some time planet side. Am hoping the ED devs will eventually bring some if this into ED.

I agree.

I’ve kept my distance from SC and haven’t played it, but judging by some of the videos it’s looking really impressive. You can’t deny their ambition. Roberts’ recent statement about implementing VR is the thing which really piqued my interest. Some of their funding practices have been pretty questionable, but I really hope that the game gets made – it has a lot of promise.

@RealPuPpEt - You have created a monster![haha] Can't be bothered to follow this geek pillow fight. To answer your question, I'd say 12 to 24 months, hopefully atmospheric and some form of walking around 'beyond VR' will be in game. Bye

Argh, didn't want to create a monster ahahah.
I was primarily referring to the "atmos" planets, the general idea of "city" and "populated" (could it be spaceports or stations). The "space legs" is a secondary thing.

Argh, didn't want to create a monster ahahah.
I was primarily referring to the "atmos" planets, the general idea of "city" and "populated" (could it be spaceports or stations). The "space legs" is a secondary thing.

Yeah I get you, realistically not for a few years imo. Popped back because I forgot to mention this - Check out the Orrery map at 5m 22 secs. Would be happy with that in ED for now! Although the Beta Orrery in ED is a very nice addition

[video=youtube;k3_nDOKzXEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_nDOKzXEk&feature=youtu.be&t=325[/video]

1. Please contact this youtuber and suggest some video editing software. When you're showing off a new planet, it shouldn't take almost 1/3 of the video just to get to the ship that's going there. It should also not take 1/3 of the video to just land on it (and on the wrong pad with the landing gear in the retracted condition).
  2. Yes, we'll eventually get something like that. Eventually.
  3. Noticed tons of lag. Yikes.
  4. FYI, I built my current PC to the specs expected to be needed for SC when it was supposed to be released in 2014. Waited. Waited some more. Waited even more. Finally (Memorial Day 2015) purchased ED. Not unhappy with the decision. I fully expect to be dead of old age (I'm 67) before SC finally hits Beta.

Is this a "do you think Elite will get Atmos worlds and space legs" thread? If so, those words would be more effective than a 40 minute video of an indefinitely-delayed, perpetual-alpha-development project that has just passed its half-way point (the CEO's words).

To answer the guessed question of "do you think Elite will get Atmos worlds and space legs": yes.

Seeing as the atmos-less worlds already have a fully-modelled gravity-affected flight model, the in-development atmos worlds will probably impact the FM via atmos composition, density, weather, etc too.

Yeah SC on this forum is basically a swear word. "HOW DARE YOU POST ANOTHER SPACE GAME ON MY FAV SPACE GAME FORUM". Fact is, more space games, more options. SC is looking very impressive; will it be released this decade? Who knows, but if/when it is, it fills in a lot of blanks missing from ED.

That's probably because dozens of die hard SC fanboys annoyed us over years by telling us that we are idiots for playing the wrong game.

However, I very much look forward to the release of SC and unless they completely screw up I am definetely going to buy and play it. I do know that it will not be perfect though, just like Elite isn't perfect. My dream game would be a combination of both games so I am going to play both.

To be fair, the more I look at SC- the more I realize all the engine improvement brought to ED are evening the odds...
Out of the Atmo shaders, that ARE present in ED anyways- ED impress me more...

Huge backer of SC(4 figures) and a huge mistake.
Haven't downloaded any SC for years , as every time I decide to see what is up, all I see is laggy(or choppy as he says) game play, fall through ship bugs(and through other items), never ending release roadmap, non-working interactable items and a mish mash of promises.
Roberts is a genius marketeer...

Long live Lord Braben :)

To be fair, it seems like Chris Roberts is trying to create one of the most ambitious games of all times. So I can see why it takes a long time to create. If the game will be fun to play remains to be seen. Personally I sometimes get overwhelmed by the amount of features and mechanics in other games and believe less can be more. I preferred the Witcher 1 over The Witcher 3 for example simply because I was annoyed by all the countless activities and map icons. Combine that with a bad combat and character system and you'll end up with lots of wasted ressources. Although that's pretty subjective.
For me there needs to be the right balance between a believable game world and accessibility.

PS
Elite does a lot wrong in that departement as well.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom