Do you want to want to see ship interiors and be able to walk aroun our ship

No.

I want a fully fleshed out well designed integrated expansion pack that includes ship interiors as a headline feature.

Sit down, traveler, and let me tell you a story. It will be awful because of my English knowledge and i'm basicaly not the smartest one, but anyway, writing this better than reaping another settlement off.

Close your eyes and imagine dark, deep space with all it's horrific beauty. You are a pirate! You with your Krait notice lonely t7 in your "contacts" tab and decide to check this ship on it's cargo. You interdicted them. Victim tried to escape, but you faster, stronger than them! Fight was vicous, rough! But what a simple t7 could done? You damaged ship's powerplant enough to disable it(and yes, you could do that before patches), scan it . Jackpot, LTD ship's cargo! you approaching it, slowly flew from you ship first to gates, then to darkness(yes, loading screens are needed), and now you are on victim's ship, and no one but you could hear their screens. With your intimidator you clean out the way to cockpit, kill captain, and transfer all their cargo to your ship, press "self destruct" button and leave. What a mighty pirate you are, sir!

Or wait, you are not like combat? Well, again, deep space with all that etc, you heard previous story. You out of bable on you way to beagle point, At one system which name ypu don't even bother to remember you find out a signal. You didn't saw any in a couple of thousand Ly's! Of course you decided to see what is it. As you approach signal, you found out this is a disabled Anaconda! You approached that ship, board it, and slowly move thrue... thrrs... god damn, through ship interiors. And you found... nothing. No crew nor their bodies, ship at excellent condition, has fuel. All escape capsules are here, so no one used them. Feeling a bit uneasy, you return yo your ship and continue your travel. And who know, maybe the reason of disappeared crew... in your ship, waiting for you to sleep... until you found out this is a known bug by FDEV and far space is filled with empty Anacondas and you are like 645th cmdr who experienced that.

What am i trying to say. I'm fine when someone don't see the possibilities that feature can bring. We all people after all, and I'm far from being smart and often don't see all pros and cons something could bring. But i can't, i refuse to accept this words from developers. Because if i will, i accept as well that FDEV don't have any enthusiasm nor passion nor vision for elite. From past couple of years i already accept that fdev lost all of their competence, but competence is thing you can recover with time, unlike things i mention above.

tl;dr ship interious could bring value to gameplay, if you cook it right. Question is, are FDEV in their current state capable of doing that? I want to believe they can, but, unfortunately, i don't believe in that anymore
I really like how you presented the potential and gameplay features that interiors can bring. And it's not even that out of this world to imagine doing.

I'm a relatively firm "I don't care" at this point, mostly due to the exhausting experience of watching people throw temper tantrums about being told "not right now". The most important part of the interior of every ship in the game is the cockpit, and we've got that. I think the most "ship interior" I want in order to satisfy my IMMERSHUN is getting out of my chair, walking to the door at the back of the cockpit, and disembarking onto a lift that takes me down the ramp.

If they do add interiors at some point, I give it less than 24 hours before everyone is wailing and gnashing their teeth about it not living up to the fiction in their heads.

No.

As devs said it would be fun first few times but it wouldn't bring any value to the gameplay. ED needs more depth in gameplay (hint: EVE online), not some nonsensical running around the ship like in Star Citizen.

or like running through the dock, or waiting in the elevator or walking through the concourse....to get to a mission console, that you already have in your ship (except not with foot stuffs) and with very little variety of stations other than which tin of paint they could buy at the time (is there 4 variants, excluding engineers?), but that's ok. That makes a tonne of sense, whereas actually having your own ship interior, the thing you fly pretty much everywhere and spend more time in that anything else (mostly) does not. Hmmmmm.

Lets just do-away with supercruise, boring... flying.. boring.. opening menus..boring... hyperspace jumps.. boring.. lets just I dunno, press X to win or Y to earn credits.
No, I'm not serious that these activities are boring, fwiw. Ship interiors could house a lot of activities, things to see and do.. or not, you could always "disembark" magically like we do now, too. Use your menus for everything in your seat.. or use the interior if desired. Doesn't have to be one or the other.
Also, we can telepresence in ED... so ship being attacked.. boom, back in ya seat!

Last edited:
I'm a relatively firm "I don't care" at this point, mostly due to the exhausting experience of watching people throw temper tantrums about being told "not right now". The most important part of the interior of every ship in the game is the cockpit, and we've got that. I think the most "ship interior" I want in order to satisfy my IMMERSHUN is getting out of my chair, walking to the door at the back of the cockpit, and disembarking onto a lift that takes me down the ramp.

I confess that switching from 2D to VR went a long way to satisfy my desire for space legs, since I can use my literally IRL legs to walk around the cockpit / bridge. And even this leaves me wishing the various panels and displays had real information instead of fake screen placeholders.

Ironic that Odyssey actually takes away from this "IRL legs" experience by adding in-game legs. 🤷‍♂️

/sigh....

Frontier said: NO. They don't care if you want them or if I want them.

Simple.. as... that.

Besides, I don't think they could do them even if they wanted to. Not for technical reasons however. The time it would take for them to sort it all out would be we'd likely end up with a 3 or 4 year content drought. The shareholders would never allow it. That gang seems to be about quick returns, not long term investments.

That's the most likely reason this is all as it is. Get used to it, as it seems here to stay.

somewhat off topic: I'm curious if in Starfield we will be able to move inside the ship / ships, if so i'm sure there will be some really interesting discussions on this forum, especially because more than likely until then we will not see the inside of the ships in the Elite ;)

somewhat off topic: I'm curious if in Starfield we will be able to move inside the ship / ships, if so i'm sure there will be some really interesting discussions on this forum, especially because more than likely until then we will not see the inside of the ships in the Elite ;)

It will add to the pressure for interiors that's for sure. But would it be enough to push them into it....

I fear the trouble is, if that happens, the execs and marketing will go "screw it, add them! you got 2 years." and we will end up with another half broken mess because it will be forced on the devs as a last minute thing, expecting it "overnight". When, if they were to start work on it now, they'd be ready when external market pressure kicks in and puts a fire under execs rears. But they won't do that, and you know what will happen next.

EDIT:
To be fair, I think a good reason for some of the community to be resistant to interiors is because when FDev ever changes anything, they break a bunch of other stuff. Something that big would be a massive change that would shatter a lot of other systems. I think that's the fear underlining much of the anti-interior sentiment. It alone is a valid enough worry. The rest from the Frontier team is just transparent excuses.

Last edited:

Do you want to want to see ship interiors and be able to walk aroun our ship​

😐 Um...fix the damn game first to a decently playable state and deliver on what you HAVE promised for Odyssey. Only then will I care about ship interiors. Your game is uninstalled, OFF my computer until further notice. Adding ship interiors to an already broken pile of dog feces isn't going to magically make me want to come back to it. 🙃

I tried a mod that added extra rooms to my destroyer in X4. While cool, I uninstalled it and went back to vanilla. I love being able to walk around on the huge bridge of my destroyer and issue orders to my crew while observing the battle from different vantage points. It gives a purpose to that interior. The other interiors were purely cosmetic, and after seeing them once, I really had no reason to go back to them.

Compare and contrast this to my ship interiors in Space Engineers, which while don't look as nice, do serve a purpose. Granted, some rooms are cosmetic (there's no gameplay advantage from using a toilet except that it recharges the space suit), but because of SE's complex damage model, even a cosmetic room might suffer damage during a battle and require repairs to stop an air leak or fix conduit delivering fuel to forward thrusters. Subnautica is similar, where different sections of my submarine serve different purposes, though some might only be require to visit occasionally (like replacing batteries in engineering).

So ship interiors all by themselves probably aren't worth the effort, but if Frontier were to add a more complex damage model, along with NPC crew, that would be amazing IMO. Imagine you're in battle and take hits to your hull. Instead of just a magic number counting down to zero, you actually get other effects like losing atmosphere, having individual thrusters stop working, or fires that slowly deplete hull strength (like Thargoid spit does now). This requires you to get up and go back and put out the fires, seal the leaks, and repair broken conduits and wiring in various spaces. And for players who don't want this "game loop", you could hire NPC crew to do this for you, but at a slower rate.

Sound like pie in the sky? It really isn't, because I already have this gameplay in Subnautica, Space Engineers, and X4 Foundations. Elite could borrow the best aspects from each game and really give us an immersive, fun ship interior spaceleg experience! In the meantime, I'm playing these games way more than I'm playing Elite these days.
Horses for courses because what you describe here sounds exactly like a game I would not want to play or ever buy.

Do I want ship interior? Hell yes, I want it. I want a much more included experience from Odyssey. I want an airlock in every base to go outside directly by foot, without flying out with my ship. I want to walk around in cockpit, even if it is just fun a couple times. I want to EVA out and scavange shipwrecks. Yes, that'll be cool.

I'm still flabbergasted that anyone is putting any faith whatsoever in Bethesda.

And (without seeing any of Starfield's trailers), I'm gonna guess that it'd go the other way with that game: The ship (singular, probably) has a fully formed interior you can explore, but you can't fly it and nothing can be customized. Glorified fast travel, a la Borderlands 3.

... Wait, why didn't I think of this earlier!

Guys, go play Borderlands 3. All the ship interior you can choke down. You'll love it.

Entering a wreck in space can be done without “ship interiors”.

What is the problem with ship interiors? Ships move. This is nasty for performance.

Wrecks don’t have to move. They are like a building in space. That is much easier to deal with. Since they are wrecked, the levels would be different than a player ship anyway.

In other words, your justification for interiors does not need interiors.
Sorry...what? I dont think you understand this from a development point of view.

Wrecks in space or ship interiors requires artists to create the assets, the models the textures, ect. Having an interior space attached to a ship isn't necessarily a performance hit from a coding perspective: There are all kinds of ways to do that, one of the simplest is to have ship interiors loaded into some "other" space that you enter and exit through doorways. Thus the ship interiors are "stationary" in the world instance. Several games with vehicle interiors do this.

Meanwhile, whatever the implementation, station interiors ALREADY do this. When you're sitting in your docking bay in the station? You're attached to the station. The station is moving through world space, both rotating and orbiting. Ditto for the station concourses. So basically, the tech to do this is already coded into the game.

I'm still flabbergasted that anyone is putting any faith whatsoever in Bethesda.

And (without seeing any of Starfield's trailers), I'm gonna guess that it'd go the other way with that game: The ship (singular, probably) has a fully formed interior you can explore, but you can't fly it and nothing can be customized. Glorified fast travel, a la Borderlands 3.

... Wait, why didn't I think of this earlier!

Guys, go play Borderlands 3. All the ship interior you can choke down. You'll love it.

Bethesda made ONE BAD GAME. ONE. And has produced awesome games for decades. I think Bethesda deserves some faith.

Top Bottom