Do you want to want to see ship interiors and be able to walk aroun our ship

Yes ofc. But difficult to answer without knowing what would be left out if ship interiors are implemented.

Still have to say, FDev has rarely focused on things I wished. Engineers, cqc, powerplay, multicrew are all features where I think resources would have been been better targeted elsewhere.

This includes a discussion on the topic as well.

Do you want it?... lot of people do.... Are you gonna get it?... Only if you play the "other" game.

Peace.

No.

As devs said it would be fun first few times but it wouldn't bring any value to the gameplay. ED needs more depth in gameplay (hint: EVE online), not some nonsensical running around the ship like in Star Citizen.

Last edited:
Taking your second point first, I don't want to play Virtual Damage Control Petty Officer. Having been a DCPO in the Navy, I understand that maintenance is important, but I have an amazing level of disbelief that it is going to be "fun". Added to that the fact that we have AFMUs as de-facto evidence of automation, and I am happy with letting the ship take care of itself.

As to Super Cruise, yes, I agree it is boring, but at least it accomplishes something. Most of the requests in this collective position are useless transitions. Get up, open the door, go through the door, close the door, walk down the hall, use the lift, get in the airlock, cycle the airlock... How many times are you going to enjoy doing that same activity? At least SuperCruise interacts with a dynamic environment to take me somewhere. The routine I just described will Never Change.
It's not maintenance, it's active repairs. Something invaluable for explorers.
It's salvaging of downed ships, something all of us would love. Want to go inside Jameson's crashed Cobra? Want to see what's valuable inside that crashed anaconda?
It's boarding actions. Take a mission to kill just a pirate captain but not kill the crew. Or assassinate an admiral without starting a war.

AS for the transitions, there's no difference. Supercruise and walking through the airlock are simple travel times between your current state and your objective. At least with the airlock you wont be watching Netflix or Youtube what doing it.

So the choice is between having them and not having them, with no other considerations? Wonder how this will go...

True, how about the option, "only if there was some point other than just walking around." If it's a choice between just being able to walk around the ship and not, with nothing else to do then no, chances are 99% of the player would do it once or twice then not bother anymore and all that dev time would be wasted when they could have been doing something more useful.

So no "yes or no" polls thank you, that misses the point entirely.

My answer to this, while I would like ship interiors if there was some point, is a big fat NO, so kindly record that on your strawman poll!

Yeah, who wants to do this, it would get so boring after ..... after...... there's no demand?

Just watch the 6 seconds timestamped here, not the rest of the . I'm just trying to point out that it will only be a cosmetic walking sim if FD go out of their way to make it one.

Last edited:
For PvP and generally pew pew I can't see a lot of value running around your ship... but, for things like exploration, and being able to repair ship modules (interior and exterior) it would allow one to really feel emergent. You ship becomes your home, and the only thing keeping you alive in the cold black. It's fair that it becomes your soulmate.

Interiors will complete the 'flying' experience, but i'm not tunnel visioned, what I'd like to see I know others will not. I know my opinion is just a fart in a cat 5 hurricane, but, this one is on FDEV. What will be will be.

It's not maintenance, it's active repairs. Something invaluable for explorers.
It's salvaging of downed ships, something all of us would love. Want to go inside Jameson's crashed Cobra? Want to see what's valuable inside that crashed anaconda?
It's boarding actions. Take a mission to kill just a pirate captain but not kill the crew. Or assassinate an admiral without starting a war.

AS for the transitions, there's no difference. Supercruise and walking through the airlock are simple travel times between your current state and your objective. At least with the airlock you wont be watching Netflix or Youtube what doing it.
I'll just leave the element that I replied to that you conveniently forgot...
1) Then you must hate Super Cruise and Hyper jumping, where almost 80% of my time is spent.
2) Ship interiors bring way more gameplay associated to the maintenance of your ship than walking around on a different textured heightmap with different coloured particle effects overhead. The Concept art from FDev even proves this.

I tried a mod that added extra rooms to my destroyer in X4. While cool, I uninstalled it and went back to vanilla. I love being able to walk around on the huge bridge of my destroyer and issue orders to my crew while observing the battle from different vantage points. It gives a purpose to that interior. The other interiors were purely cosmetic, and after seeing them once, I really had no reason to go back to them.

Compare and contrast this to my ship interiors in Space Engineers, which while don't look as nice, do serve a purpose. Granted, some rooms are cosmetic (there's no gameplay advantage from using a toilet except that it recharges the space suit), but because of SE's complex damage model, even a cosmetic room might suffer damage during a battle and require repairs to stop an air leak or fix conduit delivering fuel to forward thrusters. Subnautica is similar, where different sections of my submarine serve different purposes, though some might only be require to visit occasionally (like replacing batteries in engineering).

So ship interiors all by themselves probably aren't worth the effort, but if Frontier were to add a more complex damage model, along with NPC crew, that would be amazing IMO. Imagine you're in battle and take hits to your hull. Instead of just a magic number counting down to zero, you actually get other effects like losing atmosphere, having individual thrusters stop working, or fires that slowly deplete hull strength (like Thargoid spit does now). This requires you to get up and go back and put out the fires, seal the leaks, and repair broken conduits and wiring in various spaces. And for players who don't want this "game loop", you could hire NPC crew to do this for you, but at a slower rate.

Sound like pie in the sky? It really isn't, because I already have this gameplay in Subnautica, Space Engineers, and X4 Foundations. Elite could borrow the best aspects from each game and really give us an immersive, fun ship interior spaceleg experience! In the meantime, I'm playing these games way more than I'm playing Elite these days.

No.

FDev couldn't even be to release Odyssey in a workable state without breaking a fair number of the games base systems, performance, and other features.

What do you all think will happen when the add ship interiors?

I didn't forget, I countered it. There's no difference between the arguments against SC and the arguments against cosmetic-only ship walking.
Except that they were both YOUR statements. You're changing your argument to whatever you think will "win".

For what it is worth, I also already told you I have no interest in the repairs aspect, that is what AFMUs are for. Given that the dichotomy expressed (AFMUs/manual work) means a lot of work for the devs on a feature that not everyone would prefer to use, past history of development indicates that they would either not implement it at all or force everyone to use the new method even if want nothing to do with it. Frontier doesn't seem to be big on opt out when it comes to mechanics.

As to the value to explorers, knowing how to maintain your ship would certainly be invaluable, but being forced to enact it in the game is a different, and separate, thing (which ignores the fact that the ship is the size of an aircraft carrier). Eating/Drinking/Waste Disposal/Sleep are all critical to prolonged Human existence, but I have no desire to do them in the gaming environment. Those are all "fade to black" functions, and I, for one, prefer them that way.

Last edited:
I tried a mod that added extra rooms to my destroyer in X4. While cool, I uninstalled it and went back to vanilla. I love being able to walk around on the huge bridge of my destroyer and issue orders to my crew while observing the battle from different vantage points. It gives a purpose to that interior. The other interiors were purely cosmetic, and after seeing them once, I really had no reason to go back to them.

Compare and contrast this to my ship interiors in Space Engineers, which while don't look as nice, do serve a purpose. Granted, some rooms are cosmetic (there's no gameplay advantage from using a toilet except that it recharges the space suit), but because of SE's complex damage model, even a cosmetic room might suffer damage during a battle and require repairs to stop an air leak or fix conduit delivering fuel to forward thrusters. Subnautica is similar, where different sections of my submarine serve different purposes, though some might only be require to visit occasionally (like replacing batteries in engineering).

So ship interiors all by themselves probably aren't worth the effort, but if Frontier were to add a more complex damage model, along with NPC crew, that would be amazing IMO. Imagine you're in battle and take hits to your hull. Instead of just a magic number counting down to zero, you actually get other effects like losing atmosphere, having individual thrusters stop working, or fires that slowly deplete hull strength (like Thargoid spit does now). This requires you to get up and go back and put out the fires, seal the leaks, and repair broken conduits and wiring in various spaces. And for players who don't want this "game loop", you could hire NPC crew to do this for you, but at a slower rate.

Sound like pie in the sky? It really isn't, because I already have this gameplay in Subnautica, Space Engineers, and X4 Foundations. Elite could borrow the best aspects from each game and really give us an immersive, fun ship interior spaceleg experience! In the meantime, I'm playing these games way more than I'm playing Elite these days.
Yea, I've returned to X4 simply because it feels much more of a space sim than Elite now. There are more space games coming out with ship interiors nowadays made by much smaller studios (X4 to an extent, space engineers, pulsar, starship EVO, empyrion, ixion). A game of elites scale but with the smaller studios imagination and passion would be a dream. However, it seems only SC wants to provide that and it is a long way away. Starfield may provide some of this as well but it will be single player.

As devs said it would be fun first few times but it wouldn't bring any value to the gameplay. ED needs more depth in gameplay
Sit down, traveler, and let me tell you a story. It will be awful because of my English knowledge and i'm basicaly not the smartest one, but anyway, writing this better than reaping another settlement off.

Close your eyes and imagine dark, deep space with all it's horrific beauty. You are a pirate! You with your Krait notice lonely t7 in your "contacts" tab and decide to check this ship on it's cargo. You interdicted them. Victim tried to escape, but you faster, stronger than them! Fight was vicous, rough! But what a simple t7 could done? You damaged ship's powerplant enough to disable it(and yes, you could do that before patches), scan it . Jackpot, LTD ship's cargo! you approaching it, slowly flew from you ship first to gates, then to darkness(yes, loading screens are needed), and now you are on victim's ship, and no one but you could hear their screams. With your intimidator you clean out the way to cockpit, kill captain, and transfer all their cargo to your ship, press "self destruct" button and leave. What a mighty pirate you are, sir!

Or wait, you are not like combat? Well, again, deep space with all that etc, you heard previous story. You out of bubble on you way to beagle point, At one system which name you don't even bother to remember you find out a signal. You didn't saw any in a couple of thousand Ly's! Of course you decided to see what is it. As you approach signal, you found out this is a disabled Anaconda! You approached that ship, board it, and slowly move thrue... thrrs... god damn, through ship interiors. And you found... nothing. No crew nor their bodies, ship at excellent condition, has fuel. All escape capsules are here, so no one used them. Feeling a bit uneasy, you return yo your ship and continue your travel. And who know, maybe the reason of disappeared crew... in your ship, waiting for you to sleep... until you found out this is a known bug by FDEV and far space is filled with empty Anacondas and you are like 645th cmdr who experienced that.

What am i trying to say. I'm fine when someone don't see the possibilities that feature can bring. We all people after all, and I'm far from being smart and often don't see all pros and cons something could bring. But i can't, i refuse to accept this words from developers. Because if i will, i accept as well that FDEV don't have any enthusiasm nor passion nor vision for elite. From past couple of years i already accept that fdev lost all of their competence, but competence is thing you can recover with time, unlike things i mention above.

tl;dr ship interious could bring value to gameplay, if you cook it right. Question is, are FDEV in their current state capable of doing that? I want to believe they can, but, unfortunately, i don't believe in that anymore

Last edited:
Top Bottom