Does anyone actually enjoy engineering?

Problem could easiky be solved with giving 5 resources per node instead of 3.

Still a grind, but not hours and hours and hours....
Hmm, I could go with that suggestion. Engineering my 4th ship now (a Krait 2, just bought it last night), and I am actually starting to run out of mats, which is a first.... I think it's time for a trip out into the ģreat void, or maybe some bounty hunting... awesome! 😀

This examination of semantics is only supporting an irrelevant conclusion, and your irrelevant conclusion is not what "it's" about.
I was flying my new Krait 2 thru a few missions today just to test it out, and to find somewhere that sells A rated mods, and I found a HGE. Don't see them too often! I was chuffed. Is this gameplay? It's a game, I'm playing it, I'm having fun......

I was flying my new Krait 2 thru a few missions today just to test it out, and to find somewhere that sells A rated mods, and I found a HGE. Don't see them too often! I was chuffed. Is this gameplay? It's a game, I'm playing it, I'm having fun......
Pretty sure I mentioned this: EDDB.io / Stations - Check Li Yong-Rui in the "Powers" box

Put in your current "Reference" system and select the A-Rated parts you need in the upper right corner as all systems controlled by this faction offer a flat 15% discount on ALL ships and modules. You should be able to generate a list of stations offering all the items specified and click the columns for sort criteria.

On reaching Elite in any profession Jameson Memorial has everything, but only at 10% off.

[Edit: If you drop in and scan any Nav Beacon it will auto-clarify ALL USS data in the system]

Pretty sure I mentioned this: EDDB.io / Stations - Check Li Yong-Rui in the "Powers" box

Put in your current "Reference" system and select the A-Rated parts you need in the upper right corner as all systems controlled by this faction offer a flat 15% discount on ALL ships and modules. You should be able to generate a list of stations offering all the items specified and click the columns for sort criteria.

On reaching Elite in any profession Jameson Memorial has everything, but only at 10% off.

[Edit: If you drop in and scan any Nav Beacon it will auto-clarify ALL USS data in the system]
Excellent advice, thank you.

Hmm, I could go with that suggestion. Engineering my 4th ship now (a Krait 2, just bought it last night), and I am actually starting to run out of mats, which is a first.... I think it's time for a trip out into the ģreat void, or maybe some bounty hunting... awesome! 😀
Cheat sheet - Goto places for materials:
Dav's Hope (surface base) Hyades Sector DR-V C2-23 planet A5 coords 44.83 -31.39
Jameson's Cobra MkIII (crash site - Encoded) HIP 12099 planet 1B coords -54.3 -50.3

Some refuse to break immersion but relog to main menu resets all the local drops.

[Edit: Will probs be out there again soonish, check your pm's if you wanna tag along (PC)]

Last edited:
Cheat sheet - Goto places for materials:
Dav's Hope (surface base) Hyades Sector DR-V C2-23 planet A5 coords 44.83 -31.39
Jameson's Cobra MkIII (crash site - Encoded) HIP 12099 planet 1B coords -54.3 -50.3

Some refuse to break immersion but relog to main menu resets all the local drops.
I heard about Dav's Hope, I was thinking about going there 1 day, did not want to be the only ED player never to have gone there! Just googled it, think I'll head out there either tonight or next week, looks like it's worth a trip!

Five items per node instead of three? Six? I remember when all this were fields as far as the eye could see, and you got one material per drop just as the Good Lord intended.

Arguably it should still be one per drop (the graphic is of a single thingy, not three thingies joined together) but with a larger (maybe even random ;)) number of drops per wreck or drops per USS. But then the game might run up against some sort of object limit if every exploding ship in an instance was dropping enough hardware to fill Watto's junkyard.

It's all a conceit anyway. Let's be honest, what we're doing when we're Engineering is collecting power runes and transmogrification spells and unicorn dung to take to the Master Wizard so they can turn our basic sword into a +10 Dragonwhacker. These mechanics are fine for fantasy realms but trying to cover them with a hard SF technological re-skin was never going to work without leaving gaping holes in the logic.

If a developer releases a patch for Dragonwhackers of K'thaaaal that makes a faerie mushroom drop five elfingems instead of three when I smite it, I won't be too inclined to worry about the physics as long as it improves my gameplay. When FD decides that every component dropped from a destroyed ship will now contain three times the amount of usefulness in the same physical package, it just serves to underscore how arbitrary it all is. Progression is faster and less frustrating, but harder to reconcile with the setting. Which is probably a price worth paying if you're only interested in the end goal of getting the modifications, but more of an ask if you're trying to buy into the journey.

I really wish FD had come up with an original progression method more in keeping with Elite's semi-realistic setting and not simply re-skinned a fantasy MMO mechanic. Even something more akin to a 4X technology tree might have worked better, such that modifications to certain ship characteristics would open up further options along those branches while cutting off others. It's likely that metas would still have emerged for things like extreme exploration range or PVP, but we might also have seen a more interesting variety of ship characteristics among the mainstream.

As others have said, Engineering is basically just Grade AA once you hit the G5 maxima. It just takes longer.

Five items per node instead of three? Six? I remember when all this were fields as far as the eye could see, and you got one material per drop just as the Good Lord intended.

Arguably it should still be one per drop (the graphic is of a single thingy, not three thingies joined together) but with a larger (maybe even random ;)) number of drops per wreck or drops per USS. But then the game might run up against some sort of object limit if every exploding ship in an instance was dropping enough hardware to fill Watto's junkyard.

It's all a conceit anyway. Let's be honest, what we're doing when we're Engineering is collecting power runes and transmogrification spells and unicorn dung to take to the Master Wizard so they can turn our basic sword into a +10 Dragonwhacker. These mechanics are fine for fantasy realms but trying to cover them with a hard SF technological re-skin was never going to work without leaving gaping holes in the logic.

If a developer releases a patch for Dragonwhackers of K'thaaaal that makes a faerie mushroom drop five elfingems instead of three when I smite it, I won't be too inclined to worry about the physics as long as it improves my gameplay. When FD decides that every component dropped from a destroyed ship will now contain three times the amount of usefulness in the same physical package, it just serves to underscore how arbitrary it all is. Progression is faster and less frustrating, but harder to reconcile with the setting. Which is probably a price worth paying if you're only interested in the end goal of getting the modifications, but more of an ask if you're trying to buy into the journey.

I really wish FD had come up with an original progression method more in keeping with Elite's semi-realistic setting and not simply re-skinned a fantasy MMO mechanic. Even something more akin to a 4X technology tree might have worked better, such that modifications to certain ship characteristics would open up further options along those branches while cutting off others. It's likely that metas would still have emerged for things like extreme exploration range or PVP, but we might also have seen a more interesting variety of ship characteristics among the mainstream.

As others have said, Engineering is basically just Grade AA once you hit the G5 maxima. It just takes longer.

Yeh! agreed. Adding more lucrative drops might alleviate some of the grind, but would do little to address the core problem that is the abundance of go -for, prospecting that is already there with mining and trading. Personally I'd rather they made mission's rewards less random. Make it so there are places / paths to go with different missions were you can get x resource your in need of with a fair amount of certainty.., from different sorts of missions. You know, less prospecting for these types of missions.

Perhaps the engineers could issue these missions, kind of like they already do just to let you work with them, but more along the lines of what you get from station / base missions but with rewards that are the materials / data / manufactured components that are relevant to the upgrades they're offering.

Last edited:
And how do you work that out. You are the one replying to irrelavent posts with irrelavent posts. Did you also reply to Enderby's posts in the same way as that was just as irrelavent to the converstaion or did you just single me out? How about all the other posts that are not relevant to the subject, did you post your same response that you posted to me? Hence the reason why I said Do I Look Like I give a...

Yeh! agreed. Adding more lucrative drops might alleviate some of the grind, but would do little to address the core problem that is the abundance of go -for, prospecting that is already there with mining and trading. Personally I'd rather they made mission's rewards less random. Make it so there are places / paths to go with different missions were you can get x resource your in need of with a fair amount of certainty.., from different sorts of missions. You know, less prospecting for these types of missions.

Perhaps the engineers could issue these missions, kind of like they already do just to let you work with them, but more along the lines of what you get from station / base missions but with rewards that are the materials / data / manufactured components that are relevant to the upgrades they're offering.
Engineers don't offer any missions at all at their bases, which seems like a missed opportunity for CMDRs to earn materials to perform upgrades. With the amount of Arsenic I've unloaded on Farseer she should have more than enough to offer up some of her stock to help out those with limited time.

And not another load of RNGsus please, handcraft something extra space awesome! :D

I went to the Engineers last night so that I could make my Vulture my new multipurpose mission-running ship (I'll tell you why if you ask). For me this means greatly improving the default jump range and top speed, and fixing the heating issues and power issues. This is one of those cases where I'm glad Engineers exist and probably would not use the Vulture like I plan if they didn't.

To the topic, I had all the mats I needed. They were just there, collected through regular gameplay and traded for a 'balanced budget' months ago when I started topping off certain mats. At the time I wasn't even sure if I'd use them, but last night I was happy to have them.

Speaking of grind and jump range, I'm sure glad I did the FSD Booster unlock! Now I'm starting to think that the other module unlocks could come in handy. The big variable is regular engineered modules vs. unengineered Guardian modules. I'm unable to engineer the latter, correct?

Top Bottom