Does anyone else think this animal is extinct?

There is no proof. Are you not forgetting if we do some genetic testing on some Lear's Macaws that look like Glaucous Macaws & see what is the output is?
None of the images even look like glaucous, if you see skins of both species next to each other you can see the difference.
Museum specimens Tring 003.jpg

Also, I'm quite sure zoos will be aware of the origin of their animals... Especially considering they live in quite different habitat. I'm not sure why you are hung up on genetic testing being able to prove this? That's expensive and probably a waste of time.

None of the images even look like glaucous, if you see skins of both species next to each other you can see the difference.
View attachment 360423
Also, I'm quite sure zoos will be aware of the origin of their animals... Especially considering they live in quite different habitat. I'm not sure why you are hung up on genetic testing being able to prove this? That's expensive and probably a waste of time.
Are you not forgetting they are taxidermies?
They must have lost their colour.

Just seen a scientific paper which seems to indicate something rather interesting:

"Of the blue macaws of the genus Anodorhynchus, A. hyacinthinus is the largest and occupies open areas in CS South America, mainly in Brazil. The smaller A. leari and A. glaucus occurred in quite similar habitats in east and southern South America, both being considered critically endangered. Anodorhynchus leari occurs in northern Bahia State, Brazil, and A. glaucus was distributed in southern South America, being originally found in southern Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and northern Argentina, now extinct at least in most of these areas. These species differ only in rather subtle plumage characters whereas there are no osteological differences between them. Fossils found in caves of the states of Bahia and Minas Gerais, between the historically known ranges of A. leari and A. glaucus suggest that the blue macaws of E South America had a contiguous distribution until at least 10.000 years ago, so A. leari is best treated as a subspecies of A. glaucus."

If this is taken as fact, the glaucous macaw hasn't gone extinct because it is the same species as the Lear's macaw.

Top Bottom