Does someone have an optimal build for a supercharged FSD ship?

New hutton orbital time is 1 hour 6 minutes 10 seconds and slowly improving

There is no way you can use sco all the way. So yes the Hutton run in irrelavant

I'm assuming it generates the heat directly, rather than a side-effect of its power consumption. So running a cool ship with a low-emissions powerplant won't help much?

But I don't know how the Dolphin's overheating problem was fixed. If it was a blanket reduction of all heat generated, that might help.

I'm assuming it generates the heat directly, rather than a side-effect of its power consumption. So running a cool ship with a low-emissions powerplant won't help much?

But I don't know how the Dolphin's overheating problem was fixed. If it was a blanket reduction of all heat generated, that might help.
I've yet to properly test, but based on the fact my Keelback miner overheats in about 3 seconds, but some players were reporting that their Kraits were running for 15 seconds before cooking, I'd assume that a cooler ship does generally help mitigate it, albeit not by any amount that would massively extend the usable range.

IDK, the Viper I used for testing has armoured, thermal spread power plant and I could use SCO for a quite long time before reaching 100% heat🤷‍♂️ Used about 3 heatsinks per 448k ls continuous SCO run. I'll try Dolphin and Courier later.

Does someone have an optimal build for using a supercharged FSD? I am thinking you'd need fuel tanks, because it eats fuel, heatsinks to cool down the heat damage and something to repair modules and hull. Plus it'd have to be the right ship.

If just burning around with SCO is the goal, then you probably want a ship with large fuel to FSD size ratio and good thermal properties. The Imperial Courier has a pretty good balance of attributes for this. Larger size SCO FSD top out at much lower speeds and have much higher fuel consumption and heat production.

If you are trying to actually use SCO to do something you would do anyway then the fewest changes possible are what you're looking at...maybe an extra reserve tank, if you can fit one. In general, short boosts have few downsides, other than the obvious reduction in jump range from the FSD itself.

IDK, the Viper I used for testing has armoured, thermal spread power plant and I could use SCO for a quite long time before reaching 100% heat🤷‍♂️ Used about 3 heatsinks per 448k ls continuous SCO run. I'll try Dolphin and Courier later.

The heat generation of the larger drives appears much more severe, probably due to the fuel consumption.

I was using an armored+monstered PP on a stripped down corvette (which was at about 60% of PP capacity) and at least four heatsinks had to be actively cooling at once to keep heat under control. By the time I had made it ~450k ls the ship was at ~17000% heat and had burned ~250 tons or so of fuel to get there.

JJUooDm.jpeg

I went about a million LS in that test...needless to say, the ship never had time to cool back down before it turned into slag and my CMDR was autoejected.

Last edited:
This is the only possible useful use I could come up with for this thing:

Just want to confirm that this build is pretty sweet. I went from Directionless to Compiler in little over 40 minutes of playtime. I removed the Missiles+SRV and changed to Prismatics. Flying fast at ground level comes with many bumps and dings. 👍

Does someone have an optimal build for using a supercharged FSD?
Doesn't it depend entirely on what exactly you intend to do with the ship? Exploration? Trade? Combat? Passenger missions? Something else?

I don't think it needs anything special. I tried slapping it onto my mining Python, and it worked fine as-is. Just use it smartly: Activate the overdrive, when heat reaches 100% deactivate it. Repeat the process after the cooldown if needed. You'll still reach your destination much faster than normal (if it's somewhere between about 1 and 100 kls.)

(Of course the issue of framerate affecting how fast it reaches 100% is, well, an issue, but even with my 120 Hz display it worked ok this way. Hopefully the devs will fix that problem soon too.)

Does someone have an optimal build for using a supercharged FSD? I am thinking you'd need fuel tanks, because it eats fuel, heatsinks to cool down the heat damage and something to repair modules and hull. Plus it'd have to be the right ship.

It's old news already, but the optimal build should also include a frame limiter.

And i dont mean frame as in FSD, but as in literally a frame limiter to run the game at 30 fps
besides that, as many fuel tanks as you can fit or as many as you need.

I'm assuming that kicking in the Supercruise Boost would beat anyone trying to interdict you? Can anyone test this?
FSD Interdiction range is based on seconds to intercept the target, so yeah you can use it to run away since you would be increasing the seconds to intercept very rapidly. I think the pursuer can use them to effectively auto win the minigame too, but this is information I read online and haven't tested.

I think it helps a little, since you have to climb through those heat %'s to get to max still. However, the biggest improvement is of course running a lower FPS via frame rate capping.

Top Bottom