Distant Worlds II Event [DW2] Distant Worlds 2: Discovery Submissions

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Terraformable water world
Picture to follow
Praia Phoe EZ-S C6-78
Body A 1
DywcS7bXgAAHGIe.jpg:large

Hey guys, I think I've been holding out for too awesome stuff for impromptu meetups. I think next wednesday we will have one one way or another. So anyone who finds something remotely cool to see half way between Wp4 and WP5, please post it here and I will have a look on wednesday and announce it.

Still waiting for the super brand new alien nobody has ever seen before, but will settle for less (for now)!

BTW pamphlet is inbound. Check this thread in a couple of hours to see if you made it in o7

Something that is unique or unusual, particularly if visually appealing. Here are some helpful tips:

* A planetary nebula BY ITSELF is not particularly interesting
* "Close moons" are also not highly unique, but if it has some exceptional view, that can count
* Ringed ELWs are common enough to not be worth including w/o some other feature

Things worth noting:
* Any system with 3 or more ELWs, particularly if they are binary or trinary
* ELWs orbiting a gas giant
* 6 or more water worlds or ammonia worlds in one system
* M-class or larger (K-class, G-class...) stars with rings
* Codex sites that are in really unusual places, like inside a ring or near a black hole
* Rapidly moving planets, particularly if they cause regular eclipses
* Glowing Green giants! and other really odd colors
* Any moons or planets that collide
* Sites of unusual or surprising beauty

Thanks for this list. Much like Fico74's question that generated this list, I was not sure what was worth posting and what was not. As a new player (2 months in), I find a huge number of 'amazing' finds, but while they are amazing to me they are probably run-of-the-mill to the long-term players who have been out exploring before and therefore have seen most of it before.

Some examples are above, such as close moons, or ringed planets with a 'view' (similar to "The View" but not quite as spectacular), huge mountains similar to the Arkgamanon Range, maybe a few km shorter and more numerous but still impressive. But such mountains are common on some rocky worlds. It takes time to gather and post data & screnshots when there's so much flying and exploring to be done each week, so I want (need) to be selective.

It's the fun of exploring which is slowing me down. I'm only just coming up on WP3!

Just for clarification, by "Codex entries/sites" in the opening post and above, do you mean Geological/Biological/Xenological sites only (i.e. land-based items and Notable Stellar Phenomena)? Stars and planets are all codex entries too of course, but I figure these aren't quite as noteworthy since most types are frequently found, except the ones listed above.

For the submissions to the Google Form, would you (ideally) like every Codex entry logged? Many geological sites pop up quite readily, so it would be a lot of hassle to record each one. I realise there's no obligation to submit anything, but I want to make my trip worthwhile to the cause as well as it being a personal sight-seeing trip. The organisers have put in so much effort, why shouldn't I? ;)

Thanks for any further input! :)

POI Name: Oceans of Adventure
Galmap search ref: Ellairb XJ-A d82
Description: System contains triple waterworlds (two of them are terraformable) and five terraformable HMCW's. Scanning and mapping gave a total payout of almost 16 million cr (!!),
so you're in for a real cartographic treat. System is also located just 1226LY's from "The Lair of Unicorns".

gNryRMj.jpg

kVegHRG.jpg

XJJAxHS.jpg

Last edited:
Since the authorities are reading and posting here, a short and (not completely...) innocent question: what is the current record for most bodies in a system?

That one didn't work - database connection error. But I checked EDSM: 184 bodies.

So this

isn't so remarkable. But migh make a nice trip from WP4, should be ~1 kly straight down if my navigation is correct.

Including two terraformables - but the second is around the B star, 170 kls from the entry point.

Yeah, that website is iffy at best. I've had the same error.

However, anything over 100 I'd say is noteworthy, and 98 is close enough ;)

Here's a rather unusual system I discovered a few days ago:

POI name: Aqua nobilis
System name: Crookoa YB-J D10-63
Description: Neutron star primary, L-class secondary, M-class tertiary which has all the planets: 1 Earth-like world binaried up with a terraformable waterworld, two more waterworlds (non-terraformable), an ammonia world and a terraformable HMC for last. Sadly the M-class star is dim and the planets too far apart to make for a very photogenic display, but the composition is so unusual it warrants - in my opinion - being notable.

25CD3E0350DFBE39805870010380C891F78DE677

30CFD88DE2D2E24A160C98F3EF0542A323ED0410

B1E255D898959A8A849CAB048C236A6DFEABDB8C

84EB9FCB16FB4EA4C428939274820B1921456A63

CD423A315020057FE8B024C5E1AD2D1384146700

Last edited:
Here's an ELW around a neutron star I found today, so that should count for being in the DW2 expedition. :)

POI name. Deuteros
System name: Puekea OU-D D13-83
Description: Earth-like world plus a terraformable HMC around a neutron star. Three objects in the system in total, minimalistic star system. 0.8 G, 1.06 atmospheres, 85% nitrogen, 15% oxygen, a bit chilly at 263 degrees Kelvin. Rare find.

3D70D5B7487B1AEF667CC61C64EFB5922CFEFBD5

D34E4574543B0BD56D2F9C631EB503CC02609C7A

Skaude JY-P d6-197 5

This planet is a ringed HMC world which isn't that unusual. What makes this discovery so interesting is the movement of the dark rings in particular. When using the FSS to scan the system, you can actually see the rings moving when you zoom in on this planet--- from over 5k LS away!! Once you arrive above th rings, the movement is noticeable in a few of the rings, but as you get closer and closer you can see all of the darker rings moving at speeds equal or greater than Cycladia.

Attachments

• HMC like cycladia.jpg
    HMC like cycladia.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 214
I tried to visit a site on the spreadsheet: 05/02/2019 17:06:12 Roseum Bioluminescent Anemone Clooku YJ-Z e241 Planet B 2
Sadly Planet B 2 does not exist. I also tried D 2 but only some fumarols

The Rings of Ellaisms SX-L d7-110

Everyone likes rings it seems, so how nice would it be for your species to grow up surrounded by them? I present Ellaisms SX-L d7-110 6, a beautiful ringed Earth-like that co-orbits with a ringed gas giant. As a bonus, should the locals develop both the technology for asteroid mining and a taste for fine gemstones to set in their rings, check out the hotspots in these rings! Looking back to see their own world gleaming like a jewel might put them in the right frame of mind.

[IMGUR]cbT4aLV[/IMGUR]

An exceptionally rare gem in Clooku QI-Z d1-855

Earth-Like Worlds are a rarity in the Galaxy as it is; finding a moon that has Earth-Like qualities, then, is an exceptional find in and of itself. This ELW, found just a little over 27 LY from Waypoint 4, orbits a High-Metal Content world that, should humans decide to colonize here in future, could be Terraformed into an Earth-Like World itself.

The moon is about 3/10ths the size of Earth and has a gravity about 6/10ths as strong. Any indigenous life found on this world will have evolved means to stay warm on its chilly surface with an average surface temperature of 275 degrees Kelvin (1.85 degrees Centigrade). The moon is also tidally locked to its parent, meaning that if there is any advanced intelligent life on its surface, it's likely to have stayed within its "Twilight Zone", a band of temperate conditions found just on the border between the moon's "Day Side" and "Night Side", to develop civilization; alternatively, it would make life for human settlers a bit more difficult in establishing a colony there.

In any case, this rare gem of a world made even rarer due to its unique status as a moon, is a find that I have been particularly excited to come across and I hope you can appreciate it as well!

I34oBe1.jpg

Alright people! New to this forum so hope I did everything right.

I've made a weird discovery a few days back. It's a black gas giant I've dubbed The Palantir, as it has a striking resemblance to the famous seeing stones in the Lord of the Rings movies. I was scanning for gas giants, hoping to find a Glowing Green one to add to the collection. I've never seen a gas giant like this. Does anyone have a clue how this one is the way it is? I've been wondering about it for the past week, been googling like crazy and been asking around in the DW2 discord, playstation chats etc. but no one seems to have seen one before or knows anything about it. Anyone here who's seen one before or has a clue how it got it's color?

See link for detailed Pics and descriptions.
dja3MKg

https://imgur.com/gallery/dja3MKg (In case I fudged up).

I found a system on the way to waypoint 5, it is a goldmine, it has 4 yes FOUR water worlds and an ammonia world, 2 water worlds are terraformable and additionaly 3 high metal content worlds are terraformable.
The system is 'gru hypue sh-p c20-2'

Is a system with a Black Hole as the main ‘star’ and three Neutrons stars as the only other bodies remotely interesting/rare? There’s not a lot to see and nothing to visit but it was the first of its kind I’ve come across.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom