In-Development E.D.I.S.O.N - Orbital and surface navigation / Waypoints

whats the problem to translate into Russian?) can i help?)

Besides the translation itself, I would need to make a couple of changes to allow EDISON to be translated (I've never planned on doing this).

So unless there is a high demand for translation, I'd rather spend time on fixing bugs and implementing new features.

Oh I forgot to mention this when I got a new monitor. Is there a way to move the UI indicators? On a wide screen they are offset to the left.
Edit: I'm using 3. I'll go look for this 5.1.
And there we go, instructions to move the markers. Carry on.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a question, I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to circumnavigate a planet, and this one might help me, is there a way I can use this tool to get me to the other side of a planet/moon, and then back to my original co-ordinates?

Thank you so much for this app. It's awesome. This is exactly the kind of thing that has made switching from the PS4 worth the time and money. I bought you a beer. 🍻

First of all, great tool and thanks for providing functionality that should have been part of the game client in the first place. Unfortunately, I have been getting quite a few "powerplant capacity exceeded" error boxes while E.D.I.S.O.N. version 5.0 or 5.1 were running in the background. Because the alerts go into background, I do not notice them until the end of the game session. After some digging, I found the log files in %localappdata%, and the cause of the error is always this:

Code:
2019-11-15 00:10:03.8444 ERROR Failed to parse status.json. EXCEPTION OCCURRED:Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Could not convert to integer: 2217214216. Path 'Flags', line 1, position 74. ---> System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int32.
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(Int64 value)
   at System.Int64.System.IConvertible.ToInt32(IFormatProvider provider)
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(Object value, IFormatProvider provider)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.ReadAsInt32()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.ReadForType(JsonContract contract, Boolean hasConverter)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateObject(Object newObject, JsonReader reader, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, String id)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.ToObject(Type objectType, JsonSerializer jsonSerializer)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.ToObject(Type objectType)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.ToObject[T]()
   at Ashragon.EliteDangerous.Edison.NavigationDataProviders.StatusJsonParser.ParseStatusJson(String statusJson) in D:\!Workspace\edison\EliteDangerousSurfaceNavigator\NavigationDataProviders\StatusJsonParser.cs:line 52
System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int32.
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(Int64 value)
   at System.Int64.System.IConvertible.ToInt32(IFormatProvider provider)
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(Object value, IFormatProvider provider)

Because status.json is overwritten constantly, I cannot give you the file that caused the problem.

Additionally,I learned the hard way that the list of waypoints is only written to disk when E.D.I.S.O.N. terminates manually. This is unhandy when E.D.I.S.O.N. terminates abnormally with the error shown above because I loose all waypoint entries I created during the session. Can you please change the code so that %localappdata%\Ashragon Inc\E.D.I.S.O.N\3.0.0.0 is written each time I close the "manage waypoints" window, or add a "save" button to that window?

Hello Commanders,

I have created a tool, which helps with navigating to coordinates/waypoints.

01/08/2019: Version 5.1 beta available

Features:
  • Guidance to planetary waypoints using an overlay and voice output.
  • HUD overlay color is customizable.
  • Automatically fetch planets radius from journal or EDSM.
  • Choose between rhumb line or great circle navigation (constant bearing vs shortest path)
  • Customizable hotkeys (Show/Hide E.D.I.S.O.N., Start/Stop navigation, Enable/Disable voice)
  • Waypoint manager.
    -Create waypoints and sort them into categories.
    -Mark waypoints as visited.
    -Calculate distance to Sol.
    -Calculate distance to current position.
    -Export waypoints as .csv file.
    -Import waypoints from .csv files.
Here is what it looks like (Notice the small overlay above the compass.):
QBtLwCb.png

This is a detailed view of the HUD overlay in different states:
WZ92AUW.png

The arrow points in the direction you have to turn to reach your target, while it's length indicates how far you have to turn.
When you are on course 'O' is displayed.

The last part shows the descent mode. It is activated when you are near your target and shows to pitch angle you need to maintain.

The overlay can be moved around by clicking the text and dragging with the left mouse button.

Additionally E.D.I.S.O.N. can output navigation information using speech.
It produces messages like "Fly left heading 1 0 2. Distance to target 2200 kilometers".

And here is a link to the Elite Dangerous Codex:
http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=431
You will find the download link there.

If you have questions, suggestions or need help, please reply to this thread.
You can also contact me on Discord: Ashragon#4435 or write a PM.

Fly safe!
If there were to be a VoiceAttack profile for Edison, what would it do? What functions of th
Hello Commanders,

01/08/2019: Version 5.1 beta available

Features:
  • Guidance to planetary waypoints using an overlay and voice output.
  • HUD overlay color is customizable.
  • Automatically fetch planets radius from journal or EDSM.
  • Choose between rhumb line or great circle navigation (constant bearing vs shortest path)
  • Customizable hotkeys (Show/Hide E.D.I.S.O.N., Start/Stop navigation, Enable/Disable voice)
  • Waypoint manager.
    -Create waypoints and sort them into categories.
    -Mark waypoints as visited.
    -Calculate distance to Sol.
    -Calculate distance to current position.
    -Export waypoints as .csv file.
    -Import waypoints from .csv files.
Here is what it looks like (Notice the small overlay above the compass.):
QBtLwCb.png

This is a detailed view of the HUD overlay in different states:
WZ92AUW.png

The arrow points in the direction you have to turn to reach your target, while it's length indicates how far you have to turn.
When you are on course 'O' is displayed.

The last part shows the descent mode. It is activated when you are near your target and shows to pitch angle you need to maintain.

The overlay can be moved around by clicking the text and dragging with the left mouse button.

Additionally E.D.I.S.O.N. can output navigation information using speech.
It produces messages like "Fly left heading 1 0 2. Distance to target 2200 kilometers".

And here is a link to the Elite Dangerous Codex:
http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=431
You will find the download link there.

If you have questions, suggestions or need help, please reply to this thread.
You can also contact me on Discord: Ashragon#4435 or write a PM.

Fly safe!
This app is a great help! Have you thought about making a voice attack profile for it? I'd be interested in your thoughts on that.

It still works for odyssey. I still use a copy i downloaded a few years ago. The dss had nothing to do with its usefulness. You can still use it to navigate to specific coordinates. Has anyone dm'ed the author?

It still works for odyssey. I still use a copy i downloaded a few years ago. The dss had nothing to do with its usefulness. You can still use it to navigate to specific coordinates. Has anyone dm'ed the author?

I think it's more on the lines of it was used primarily for navigating to known locations of geology to gather mats before they were marked in the HUD, when the DSS came out with POI's for geo sites it became much less useful and fell out of use and support.

It was also very useful on exploration expeditions for meetups. A lot of the meeting places are not POI's (some amazing view or just a really interesting place). In VR you don't get the fancy overlay but you do get superb voice directions all the way to the target. I have the last beta release & I still use it to revisit old haunts which I saved in the waypoint list. I wish it was still being developed but the game has moved on. Personally, I'd like to see the same functionality in the game itself.

It was and is still an exceptionally useful tool, fulfilling a need in the game to be able to navigate to a predetermined point on a planets surface and keep a note/log of that point. The irony is that I find that Odyssey has increased the need for such ability within the game, marking and returning to BIO sites for instance.

Hello Commanders,

Well done Cmdr Maxine Slayton you were well ahead of the game back then.

It was and is still an exceptionally useful tool, fulfilling a need in the game to be able to navigate to a predetermined point on a planets surface and keep a note/log of that point. The irony is that I find that Odyssey has increased the need for such ability within the game, marking and returning to BIO sites for instance.
I agree, with Odyssey you need it more than ever

Well done Cmdr Maxine Slayton you were well ahead of the game back then.

Certainly I agree there, the changes made to bio and geo distribution certainly make this tool relevant again, being able to mark areas of high density or mutiple types of bio and passing that on to friends/team mates makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom