ED and the Oculus Rift Developers Kit 2 (DK2) Discussion Thread

I just ordered my new PC,

i7 4790k o/c to 4.5ghz
GTX780ti
8mb 2133 ddr3 ram

I am presuming this will be ok for oculus Dk2 (and hopefully CV1).

Just need to find an x52 or x55 in stock and not at double price.

I've got an Athlon 2 x4 620 @ 2.6 GHz and so far, even at max settings, not a single one of the four cores ever got close to being under full load in Elite Dangerous. So I suppose this game isn't as CPU-heavy as some people want it to be.

I've got an Athlon 2 x4 620 @ 2.6 GHz and so far, even at max settings, not a single one of the four cores ever got close to being under full load in Elite Dangerous. So I suppose this game isn't as CPU-heavy as some people want it to be.

Have you tested it near rings and busy space ports?

Just ordered a DK2 - got to wait until September. :( Also a bit miffed that it no longer comes with a Unity Pro trial license. Ah well. C'est la vie.

Is it September yet?

What rig you planning on running it with?

Actually, an HP EliteBook 8570w laptop. Should be an interesting experiment.

• Intel Core i7-3720QM @ 2.6GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • AMD FirePro M4000
  • 8925MB Total Available Graphics Memory

If it doesn't work well enough (and I'm pretty sure it won't!) I'll figure something else out. In September.

Surely it's September by now?

Last edited:
Have you tested it near rings and busy space ports?

Yes I have and I was quite surprised, that it was always my GPU being the bottleneck. Admittedly I only have a GTX 650 Ti Boost, but even when I temporarily lower all those settings, that only or mostly tax the GPU (resolution etc.) and not touch those that push the CPU my framerate just skyrockets and still none of the CPU cores reaches maximum load.

Last edited:
Yes I have and I was quite surprised, that it was always my GPU being the bottleneck. Admittedly I only have a GTX 650 Ti Boost, but even when I temporarily lower all those settings, that only or mostly tax the GPU (resolution etc.) and not touch those that push the CPU my framerate just skyrockets and still none of the CPU cores reaches maximum load.

I have a GTX 780, and an i5 2500k. I have noticed the same as use. CPU rarely goes above 60% (and it is not throttling on the cores either). CPU temp usually in the 50's range.

Go to a ring system and turn Oculus rift mode on, you don't actually need to have one to run the game in that mode.
Check your FPS.
Anything less than 75FPS won't be VR at it's best.
Hopefully FD will improve performance like they did with stations and some other parts.

Go to a ring system and turn Oculus rift mode on, you don't actually need to have one to run the game in that mode.
Check your FPS.
Hopefully FD will improve performance like they did with stations and some other parts.

Which is more demanding, rings or space ports?

Also, I saw there's two "modes" for the Rift. What's the difference between the two?

Which is more demanding, rings or space ports?

Also, I saw there's two "modes" for the Rift. What's the difference between the two?
Two different modes relate to positional sound over your headphones.
I personally find rings more demanding than stations probably due to the extremely high number of objects. Try them both though.

I get around 46fps at the lowest.

Last edited:
Check your FPS.

Haha never thought of that....going to try that !

Edit: so I was getting 80 frames a second in Datan resource extraction asteroid belt/ring with 3d oculus headset and the 3d slider at max. Only played a couple of minutes to check it out.

I'm on the latest top of the range i5 (can't remember numbering right now). and a 780ti graphics card.

Last edited:
Tested it with my GTX 660, i5 2500k, 16GB RAM and as I thought... 35-45 FPS. But it's ok, new Graphic Card comes soon after my DK2 arrives (min. GTX 770 which have in Benchmarks near doubled FPS than my GTX 660). But I will see, when the new Graphic Card Generation comes soon I eventually will wait, when I can wait... :D

Check your FPS.

I just tested this with a GTX770.

On high graphical setting I got around 35fps in the Asellus Primus ring system.
On low graphics I got around 55fps.

In the ring system around Vulcan I got around 55fps on high graphics, and upto 90fps on low graphics.

Asellus Primus is probably one of the densest ring systems we'll see, its often laggy as you frame shift over them too. So its a good place to put your system to the test.

With more optimizations to both ED and the new nvidia drivers, I'm confident a GTX770 will give a decent experience in Elite through Oculus.

Last edited:
Tested out my rig and how it would do in the ring planets. Went to Asellus Primus Ring A to test out how my frames would handle with the Oculus mode on. So, my rig like I said, i7 2600k @ 3.4 and GTX 780 Ti Classified. Latest Beta drivers.

Just tried to look around, boost and navigate around the ring system. Was averaging about 75 - 90 fps on the "low" graphical settings. Bumped it up to medium and I drop to around 60 - 70 fps. On the "high" graphical settings I average around higher 40s in terms of fps.

Edit: D ring Asellus Primus went better for me for some reason. On high, I was averaging 60 fps and didn't drop below that. On medium, I was getting 75 - 90 fps. On Low, I was getting 85 - 120 fps.

In terms of CPU usage, the most I saw was about 45% so it's not my CPU bottlenecking then. GPU usage was at 99% most of the time in both places I tested so it's my GPU bottlenecking. lol

Hopefully, Frontier gets out more optimizations by the time the second development kits come out. Since I have a Classified anyway, I'll prolly overclock my GPU a bit more.

I preordered around 10:00 AM PDT so around two hours after it opened so not sure if I'll get in the first batch or not.

Last edited:
Dude, I've been watching the announcement thread on oculusvr.com.

That is the biggest, flamiest and most negative beyotchfest I've seen in a long time! They announced 10,000 units are out the door headed to distribution and everyone FREAKED out! I mean, I understand there is no feeling quite as uncomfortable as disappointment but.. oh wait. HUNGER and PAIN are waaay worse! Haha!

Everyone is desperate to figure out when their rift will arrive (I'm no exception).

Anyway, the way I interpret the shipping announcement is:

they've made 10,000 rifts so far and the first half of those (read 5000 units) are going to be delivered to purchasers doorsteps by the end of July, with the first ones arriving the week of the 14th.

10,000 preorders were in the first 24 hours (that's by 4/20 8am PST) and 12.5k by 36 hours (4/20 8pm).

So, anyone who ordered by 8am the next day has already had a rift made for them and it is on it's way, the last one to arrive sometime in the first half of August. Can't really get any more specific as I don't know how the rate of sale progressed during that first 24 hours. If it was totally constant then 5000 rifts were sold in the first 12 hours and they'll be the ones that arrive in July, but likely there was a big blast of orders and it tapered off. Looking at the fact that after that point 2.5k sold over the next 12 hours.. anyway. I'm blabbering now, but that's how I'm viewing things in my head.

I ordered mine at 130pm on 4/19 (5.5 hours in) and I feel like there's a moderate chance i'm in that first 5000, or at least close to it. Estimating a July 30 delivery for me with the info they gave.

You probably all know this already, but hey, it's a discussion thread right?

I'm sorry but one of my cars cost less than some of these graphic cards. There must be something else that is capable of running ED in OR at reasonable frame rates that is absolutely playable and visually appealing.

Amazon GTX770

Amazon 780TI

With Amazon as a price base, what else is there?

I'm waiting for ED to go GA and OR to release CV1 (although I have a pre-order on the DK2 and access to a DK1) before I commit to a final machine spec. At the moment I'm playing on an old repurposed graphic design machine which is running twin-quad core Xeons @ 2.66 (8 physical cores) with an ATI Firepro V4800 1GB. The OS & ED is installed on an 80GB SSD. Frame rates are not brilliant on the OR or on my single screen.

I'm sorry but one of my cars cost less than some of these graphic cards. There must be something else that is capable of running ED in OR at reasonable frame rates that is absolutely playable and visually appealing.

Amazon GTX770

Amazon 780TI

With Amazon as a price base, what else is there?

I'm waiting for ED to go GA and OR to release CV1 (although I have a pre-order on the DK2 and access to a DK1) before I commit to a final machine spec. At the moment I'm playing on an old repurposed graphic design machine which is running twin-quad core Xeons @ 2.66 (8 physical cores) with an ATI Firepro V4800 1GB. The OS & ED is installed on an 80GB SSD. Frame rates are not brilliant on the OR or on my single screen.

You have to remember that they still have yet to optimize completely. They've just been trying to fix the bugs and the crashes as well as gameplay. Wide system optimizations are usually left near the end of development so I'm not too worried.

Performance will only improve from what I posted above on my system.

Edit: Holy ****, the 780 Ti SC is crazy expensive for you Brits. Damn.. I got the Classified version and mine cost 760 dollars overall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom