ED and the Oculus Rift Developers Kit 2 (DK2) Discussion Thread

I wonder if it really matters that much weather you ordered it earlier or later as long as you ordered it in a sertain period. With these large numbers they probably create separate batches for example the whole of Newyork will be a single batch
But im only guessing...

We can probably say for sure that there are at least 3 distribution centres (Americas, Europe, Asia) but maybe more. The factory sends out batches to the distribution centres and they will process them and send them to "developers". Each centre will have a list of deliveries to make in first come first severed order.
If in Europe for example the number of orders before yours is quite low then there is a good chance you will get one quickly. Purely depends on the number of orders though, just using it as an example.
If you live in the states you're probably behind a bung load of people as there will be more orders that side of the pond.

Having ordered two days in, I guess/hope I'll be seeing my DK2 mid august then.

On the plus side it gives me more time to save up for a better graphics card, and find out which of the R9 290X or the GTX 780 works better with the DK2 for other people

I'b better contact Oculus and let them know I ordered a DK2 so they can add me to the VIP list. After all, I'm a Commander. Those guys are slipping. :D

Oh man, you're WAY down the queue! ;) Here's the list of forum members and their order dates from the other thread, for a recap -
[snip]
I had mine ordered on 19th, 9:09 AM PDT, let the waiting begin. had trouble buying the darn thing since apparently their site was bugged on chrome :< oh well. Its gonna take a while to come to where I am...

I bought mine super late compared to the majority of orders (May 24, 2014 06:22 AM PDT). Took me a long time before Elite finally made me crumble and buy one.

Guess I'm in for an agonizing wait watching you guys rave about it :D

Still I might get Luckey (pun intended) as I live in Japan and some people on their forums seem to think that Japan might get their orders shipped a little faster (or get an early batch).

Haven't seen any official word on this though...

Oh man, you're WAY down the queue! ;) Here's the list of forum members and their order dates from the other thread, for a recap -
March 19, 2014 at 08:34 AM PDT - jabokai
March 19, 2014 at 08:54 AM PDT - Toumal
March 19, 2014 at 08:55 AM PDT - Queripel
March 19, 2014 at 08:57 AM PDT - Tony Spaniels
March 19, 2014 at 09:00 AM PDT - Andygoode
March 19, 2014 at 09:05 AM PDT - Mazhurg
March 19, 2014 at 09:10 AM PDT - T.J.
March 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM PDT - Shigawire
March 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM PDT - Mad Mike
March 19, 2014 at 01:26 PM PDT - Bingo Brewster
March 19, 2014 at 02:57 PM PDT - Adam Lusardi
March 20, 2014 at 04:48 AM PDT - Memnoch
March 21, 2014 at 02:38 AM PDT - Splendour
April 2, 2014 at 07:53 AM PDT - Erimus

Ah thanks for the list, I'm at Mar 19, 2014 09:32 AM PDT...so now I know who to hunt down with extreme prejudice...and cry at. :)

On the plus side it gives me more time to save up for a better graphics card, and find out which of the R9 290X or the GTX 780 works better with the DK2 for other people

Some of those things can use 300 watts. That's crazy. I'm hoping I can get by on low settings until they release graphics cards that aren't competing with a microwave. So the longer they take to deliver the more we'll know about next gen cards.

Yeah, I was probably going to grab a 780ti as soon as my Rift shipped (though I wanted to wait for the 800 series or whatever ATI is putting out). One plus to likely having a while to wait for my Rift is that hopefully there will be some news on new cards by then and I'll be able to make a better decision on buying a 780ti or waiting for an 800 series card.

I'm currently on 580sli which is fine for basically everything except I want the best experience possible for the Rift.

Friend of mine ordered at around 0830 on announcement day... but accidentally ordered two....

guess who's getting the other one :D:D:D:D:D

So there only shipping 10,000 out in July ; if your one of the lucky ones you should hear something by Monday 14th.

On a side does ED support SLI I have 2 670GTX cards which I bought a few years ago or will I be much better off with a 780Ti ?.

tia :D

Yeah, I was probably going to grab a 780ti as soon as my Rift shipped (though I wanted to wait for the 800 series or whatever ATI is putting out). One plus to likely having a while to wait for my Rift is that hopefully there will be some news on new cards by then and I'll be able to make a better decision on buying a 780ti or waiting for an 800 series card.

I'm currently on 580sli which is fine for basically everything except I want the best experience possible for the Rift.

So there only shipping 10,000 out in July ; if your one of the lucky ones you should hear something by Monday 14th.

On a side does ED support SLI I have 2 670GTX cards which I bought a few years ago or will I be much better off with a 780Ti ?.

tia :D

At the moment ED is not optimized for SLI. The second card is not used at all and if you force it using Nvidia drivers then you get some weird glitches sometimes.

But it seems likely that the best option for the Rift is to get the beefiest single GPU card available rather than SLI anyway. It's what I plan to do. But am trying to hold on for the next gen of cards. Hoping they are at least announced by the time my DK2 ships.

But it seems likely that the best option for the Rift is to get the beefiest single GPU card available rather than SLI anyway. It's what I plan to do. But am trying to hold on for the next gen of cards. Hoping they are at least announced by the time my DK2 ships.

I'm on my phone and can't really go digging for the source but I'm pretty sure this is correct and has been confirmed, SLI means power but also latency so it is not recommended.

At the moment ED is not optimized for SLI. The second card is not used at all and if you force it using Nvidia drivers then you get some weird glitches sometimes.

If you already get 75fps on a single card SLI isn't going to help. If it helps you reach 75fps it's a benefit
The reason it's not recommended at the moment is due to Alternate Frame Rendering (the technique dual cards use) introducing about a frame of latency which at 75fps is 13.33333MS worth of latency (lower the FPS the more latency added). Since Oculus are trying to suck as much latency out of the motion to photon pipeline as they can you don't want to add any into the mix unless you really have to.

If you've got 2 cards already you will be OK, it's just not optimal. If you're buying a new card get the best single card you can, if you've got a half decent card and was thinking of SLI/xfiring it up then sell it instead and buy a better single card.

Last edited:
Im thinking of another thing that two cards + occulus can be useful for perhaps.

If you like to play with oculus but also are a streamer you don't want to stream the oculus view since that looks incorrect on normal screens. Would be cool with a feature to do the oculus on one card and the normal screen for the stream on the other in paralell rendering.

Im thinking of another thing that two cards + occulus can be useful for perhaps.

If you like to play with oculus but also are a streamer you don't want to stream the oculus view since that looks incorrect on normal screens. Would be cool with a feature to do the oculus on one card and the normal screen for the stream on the other in paralell rendering.

I imagine that, as popularity rises, the streaming sites will offer an on the fly de-oculus mode. Video editing software will probably also have a de-oculus mode.

I imagine that, as popularity rises, the streaming sites will offer an on the fly de-oculus mode. Video editing software will probably also have a de-oculus mode.

Nah, that wont work, or be really crappy image quality if it did. you already warped the image and lost many pixels of the view when going to oculus mode, you can't possibly convert that back to have the normal view. The best way is simply to have simultanious output of a normal screen mode as well. I imagine it would be no big deal if you have a separate graphics card for that, but it probably woulden't be too heavy for the hardware to do it on one as well if the engine supports that feature.(grab the image before it changes to oculus mode)

Back
Top Bottom