ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

Rather irrelevant to everyone else, but I managed to animate my jump history, through to a few days ago. The video displays 60 jumps per second (60 fps), skipping over jumps that would be within the same pixel when rendered at 4k. The video was downscaled to 1080p before sending to youtube (though I probably didn't need to do so). It plays through over 18k jumps in about 4 minutes.

[video=youtube;tgFfzsMcuH4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFfzsMcuH4[/video]

I wish it were possible to open that capability up to everyone, but this is a pretty heavy process on the server that takes some time, plus it's using the personal EDSM API keys and working around the API rate limiting, to pull 7-day chunks of travel history. I have that latter part split out into a daily "what's new?" sort of lookup.

Anyway, I thought I would share the pure geekery that's continuing over here. I always think it's cool when you can go beyond a game, and create a meta-game on top of it.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what tool are you using to visualise this with?

I wrote my own programs in Perl, using the ImageMagick module to do all of the drawing, and a MySQL database to store all of the data. I have scheduled jobs that run the data imports and look for changes to sync into it, so that the maps can be kept up to date. Because the "bodies.json" file is so huge, I'm only updating that (and the maps) once every two weeks currently, except for additional manual map updates when I make changes.

Rather irrelevant to everyone else, but I managed to animate my jump history, through to a few days ago. The video displays 60 jumps per second (60 fps), skipping over jumps that would be within the same pixel when rendered at 4k. The video was downscaled to 1080p before sending to youtube (though I probably didn't need to do so). It plays through over 18k jumps in about 4 minutes.

I made an improved version of this. The trails have fading color, so that it's easier to follow in the denser parts of the animation. Plus it skips the boring parts a bit better, making it about 2:42 in length, instead of 4 minutes.

[video=youtube;PjqlpYpna-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqlpYpna-U[/video]

I wish it were possible to open that capability up to everyone, but this is a pretty heavy process on the server that takes some time, plus it's using the personal EDSM API keys and working around the API rate limiting, to pull 7-day chunks of travel history. I have that latter part split out into a daily "what's new?" sort of lookup.
Would it be possible to convert it into a utility that we could run ourselves using the data from our local EDDiscovery databases? That way there would be no additional impact on EDSM.

Would it be possible to convert it into a utility that we could run ourselves using the data from our local EDDiscovery databases? That way there would be no additional impact on EDSM.

Huh, interesting idea. I'm not sure that I can, since it's a linux script. But let me think on that. Perl can run in Windows too, and it would need to be converted to use sqlite instead of mysql, etc. Not impossible. I'll give it some thought.

Os I can understand, but I'm surprised about the and about how sharp it is.

Thinks.

Have you got one with just A stars? It would be useful to know if there is any diminution of the number of As inside the exclusion zone - i.e. if the cutoff is based on the mass of the primary star, and if so, is the cutoff set exactly at the A-B mass boundary, or somewhere within the A range.

Have you got one with just A stars? It would be useful to know if there is any diminution of the number of As inside the exclusion zone - i.e. if the cutoff is based on the mass of the primary star, and if so, is the cutoff set exactly at the A-B mass boundary, or somewhere within the A range.

It looks like A-stars don't have exclusion ranges like that. I had originally made that image with A stars included, and while the bars were visible, I wasn't sure if it was just O stars or both O/B stars, so I generated this one with the A stars excluded to see it better. When the A-stars were there, they obscured the exclusion regions a bit.

When looking into these exclusion zones it's helpful to filter out the manually authored systems. That way you get rid of the fluff around the bubble, making the zones' borders even more distinct.

After this, there will still be a handful of stars in the exclusion zone, for which which I wasn't able to find a pattern yet. Based on Jackie's post I might go back and check not only what class they are, but also what they should be (which AFAIK isn't always the same).

Perhaps some mass code maps could also help? Although I don't expect the exclusion zone to appear clearly on those, maybe just on the higher codes.

The higher mass code systems (eg AA-A H*) do exist in the exclusion zone, it's just that the contents of the systems has been overridden to lower mass stars. That said, it would still be interesting to see mass code distributions just in case it throws up something!

Huh, interesting idea. I'm not sure that I can, since it's a linux script. But let me think on that. Perl can run in Windows too, and it would need to be converted to use sqlite instead of mysql, etc. Not impossible. I'll give it some thought.

I started looking into this and ran into some problems. All of the perl libraries and tools that my scripts need do exist for Windows, but they require a lot of troubleshooting to install. I got halfway through trying to install everything, and decided that I can't expect everyone else to go through this. So I'm left with either learning .NET (or something similar) to write it more natively for Windows, or just forget the whole thing. We'll see. It probably would work best as a plugin for EDDiscovery or something. I'm not yet sure what's involved with that.

The higher mass code systems (eg AA-A H*) do exist in the exclusion zone, it's just that the contents of the systems has been overridden to lower mass stars. That said, it would still be interesting to see mass code distributions just in case it throws up something!

This should be pretty straightforward. I'll have to change a part of my script that's skipping visited systems with no scanned bodies, so that I can pull all systems, and parse the mass code out of the names. I'll see what I can do.

Those are fascinating! The D one is as expected, those stars are ubiquitous. Ditto C except that they don't appear at the very edges of the galaxy. B & A are also pretty much as I would have expected other than for that great big relative hole in the centre! I'm just speculating here, but we know that there is a mass density distribution for the galaxy and this is obviously going to be much greater in the core. That means lots more of the higher mass codes and it's possible that if there were as many A & B codes as would be typical then the number of stars would be too many with stupidly small distances between them. But that's just a guess really.

For the higher mass codes, the exclusion zone becomes ever more visible. But I'm not convinced this is down to those systems not being present in representative numbers. Might be that in part, but there is also a huge amount of cherry picking when it comes to these systems - and if the interesting aspect of the system has been suppressed then they are not going to be cherry picked. We also see the inverse of the A & B hole although the extra higher codes near the centre encompasses a larger area than the hole - which possibly invalidates my above reasoning.

One thing I would like to check sometime is how much of the cube effect in the H map is down to the actual number of systems in the sector and how much down to CMDRs systematically visiting all of the H systems in a specific sector (which is definitely a "thing").

Thanks for producing these and all the rest of the maps!

We appear to have an aversion to Fs on the rim though... It would be weird if they're really much rarer than E, G and H out here.

Top Bottom