Votes: 22 64.7%

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well turns out my inability to connect was a driver issue. After installing the catalyst beta drivers I noticed elite said connected to alpha and not premier beta. Rolled back drivers. Fully deleted elite including files on C drive - users - app data and all other locations etc then reinstalled elite. Now connecting to multiplayer ! 😀. Much relieved

Servers down?

I dont see any announcements regarding... cant play multiplayer for some reason. Or has it reached a capacity limit....

Last edited:
It has been a bit crazy tonight. When I tried to log on it was in red, but backing out and back in sorted that.

In game is pretty messy aswell, I dont know if its lots of traffic. I'm seeing loads of human players, its bedlam in the stations with people trying to dock. Every where I look somebody is exploding.

And it was very stuttery but its kind of settled down now.

Activity today is pretty high. I had to log out of my game completely and back in just to get it to connect to the server. On top of that, the increased activity has lengthened docking and undocking procedures. Lots of traffic going to and from the main station in the starting system. Pretty cool though, to see people dock and undock.

To be blunt, we tell FD every day what we think. We just don't make trollish threat out of it :) Following known issues thread and changelogs you would see P2P is not yet fixed. It requires long term design additions.

You get standbys not because there are many people playing, but because you are joined with other player with whom you have high ping/low bandwith.

And how does that help me? I still can't do anything... can I drop that slaggish player slow poke and connect to a player with lower ping/higher bandwith? I want to see a light in the end of this tunnel.

It would be dumb if they were creating an MMO... but they're not. It's a single player game you can also play with your friends. Comparisons with EVE or ESO are pointless.

The reason why they chose P2P as an architecture is cost - pure and simple. Doing it this way means they don't have to have an ongoing subscription, and can fund their basic servers & bandwidth through less consistent means (like MT, or possibly in-game advertising).

Other games (like Call of Duty) use P2P very successfully, and the MP elements of E: D use that as a model. There may be bugs as you scale up, but that's a primary reason for the beta test - to find these issues that can't be tested in-house and squash them.

Actually, COD uses region locking and region specific matchmaking in an arena to determine best pings. The PC version has dedicated servers. Elite is an MMO ( I mean, really anywhere other than the KS said so), and has been marketed as such - i guess that "singleplayer' vibe is a coping mechanism. So in an MMO you're supposed to connect to everyone else, you know - the 32 limit for instances is fine. But if you don't play from the US or UK and your instance at max will only ever have 5 people....(p2p health system they talked about) ok....

War thunder is a better example, but they used dedicated servers, are free to play, and have over 100,500 concurrent users (over 3500 instances/battles at once up to 40players+100's of AI). The definition of master server is different, but they still have stat tracking and accounts, hangars, bases.

You used to be able to host your own lobby in that game, not on their system and make custom rules, maps and AI arrangements and it used Peer 2 Peer, but it lagged so bad for big games that they decided to make it dedicated, for free.

Anyway, higher ping (200-300-400) on a dedicated server line is not that bad, because a plane/ship has a flight path and not super twitchy movement - The netcode and net compensation can make up for it (If your flying in a straight line at 600km/h, you cant start flying backwards all of a sudden), War Thunder is a flight simulator and it works up to 510 ping.

Dedicated servers is the only way to go with this in reality ... I'm kinda hoping FD picks up on that before its too late...

Yes.

A lot of people are worried about buying, why? Cause if they don't play from UK or US and their ping stops them from actually playing.... Or their actual strength of connection (ping is travel time, hops. strength = download/upload in this example) it's dicey. If you play from the colonies and you are only matched with others, and say Elite sets the ping cap at 200. You will never see anyone from UK/US cause the ping from the colonies STARTS AT 200

I'm just worried that there is only so much you can do with p2p technology, and that maybe FD has too much to chew?

I know that Shroud of the Avatar was going to be P2P, but it was dropped early on in the development and they are now on dedicated servers.

Last edited:
And how does that help me? I still can't do anything... can I drop that slaggish player slow poke and connect to a player with lower ping/higher bandwith? I want to see a light in the end of this tunnel.

There will be feature which will join you with session with better "health" than with a guy with sluggish connection. There will be also regional prioritization. I am not informed how *soon* those features will land, but those are in works, so expect any time soon.

Community-driven dedicated server instances

I don't know if this was discussed before. I couldn't find similar topics.

Why not let the community host instance servers if it is too expansive for frontier instead of p2p instances?
You can still keep p2p as a fallback mechanism if no instances are available.
I think it will dramatically improve multiplayer performance.
Is something like this already planned?
Or what is the reason behind p2p networking?

This p2p network design was in even before ED was released on KS. Guess DB wanted to shift network costs to the users, yet still maximise accessability to clients. With this method, FD were always going to sacrifice network integrity with shared assets being more open to cloud exploits and latency variations.

Like you, I would have liked to see them going back to something like the oldstyle IP based server/client where you can have about 8 RL friends all online ... away from this p2p cloud. All way too late for that now, unless they go wild with their scope for SP mods.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom