ED without gankers is..

What about that time yesterday when you tried that with me and I sent you packing with your tail between your legs?

The sad part is that when I gank, I usually pilot ships that are marginal at best by pure PvP standards. They sacrifice a lot of HP and some hardpoints for various convenience factors that would severely impair me versus an actual PvP pilot in an actual PvP build.

So it's quite possible to send me packing, but instead so many would just rather joke/imagine/fantasize about the prospect instead of just actually doing it as in this quoted post. Weird.

Ok, I get what you're saying, but in my time as a ganker there have been MANY players that I have ganked in DBX's, ASP's and what not, that have come back in their combat ship after I've ganked them for a fair fight and I have ended up recruiting almost all of them. I've recruited 13 players in the past year alone that I met because I ganked them. I would've never met any of these players if didn't gank random players.
A lot of players do enjoy it so how am I supposed to differentiate those that enjoy it and those that don't?

Also, how am I supposed to differentiate myself as a "bad guy" player if I go around being nice to everyone?
Players like Krash and Ashen fox would have no one to fight and no need to protect anyone if players like myself stopped ganking.
And the epic squadron wars that break out between squads like mine vs squads like Krash's is by far the best part of this game.

One last thing, I actually agree and think it's a shame that Fdev has given us an actual, in-game reason to be "bad guys", so we've had to just kind of make it up.
Also, don't you think that if someone doesn't want to be bothered with that they should just play in solo/pg? I mean, there's times that I don't feel like being bothered by space police players so I'll hop into solo.
In what you say I can see that you're having fun and introducing others to it, which is good in a multi-player game. It is indeed tricky for you to know who will enjoy your activity and who won't, so all I can say is, ask them first. If that's impossible for practical reasons, well, carry on and I'll acknowledge that what you say at the end is true. I do have PG and block to fine-tune who I play with.

You must realise, though, that not all gankers (for want of a better word) are like you. To some of them, upsetting another player is the whole game. The more unhappiness they can cause, the better they like it. I've read boasts that they made someone rage-quit the game. Those are... not my kind of people. I hope and guess that we agree about that.

<Edit> Thanks for the genuine exchange of ideas here. :)

Last edited:
In what you say I can see that you're having fun and introducing others to it, which is good in a multi-player game. It is indeed tricky for you to know who will enjoy your activity and who won't, so all I can say is, ask them first. If that's impossible for practical reasons, well, carry on and I'll acknowledge that what you say at the end is true. I do have PG and block to fine-tune who I play with.

You must realise, though, that not all gankers (for want of a better word) are like you. To some of them, upsetting another player is the whole game. The more unhappiness they can cause, the better they like it. I've read boasts that they made someone rage-quit the game. Those are... not my kind of people. I hope and guess that we agree about that.

<Edit> Thanks for the genuine exchange of ideas here. :)
First of all, sending a message on PC might be somewhat reasonable but on Xbox, by the time I'm done typing a message the other player is 3 systems away. And what kind of bad guy says "excuse me sir, do you mind if I murder you?".
You don't see Darth Vader politely asking the rebels if he can slaughter them.

There's also a lot more gankers like myself than you think. Of the dozen or so gank squads that I know of on Xbox, only one of them have bad attitudes. As matter of fact, a bunch of bad guy and good guy squads actually came together to slaughter them because of how toxic they are but this is literally one squadron of maybe 30 guys.

First of all, sending a message on PC might be somewhat reasonable but on Xbox, by the time I'm done typing a message the other player is 3 systems away. And what kind of bad guy says "excuse me sir, do you mind if I murder you?".
You don't see Darth Vader politely asking the rebels if he can slaughter them.

There's also a lot more gankers like myself than you think. Of the dozen or so gank squads that I know of on Xbox, only one of them have bad attitudes. As matter of fact, a bunch of bad guy and good guy squads actually came together to slaughter them because of how toxic they are but this is literally one squadron of maybe 30 guys.

Well, keyboards work on PS4 and I assume XBox as well, and the actual message is more along the lines of "Overlord Zarek Null requires your complete obedience, halt or be destroyed." Copy-paste is very fast. Worth it for the occasional good sport you pull over who provides much lulz and even more rare but still occasional convert.

As far as piracy style messaging I gave up on that along time ago. The much bigger problem than any lack of keyboards is the lack of players in Open. It's very bad on PS4 I think not only because fewer players in general but because Open mode is pay to play.

Agreed gankers are for the most part fun and relaxed, with a few notable exceptions.

Last edited:
If anyone unironically uses Z0 to me ingame I'll probably just block on sight

not because I disagree with the ethos or anything, but because you're using the boundless creativity afforded you by following some crazy guy to do the exact same thing as everyone else, but with two different characters

If anyone unironically uses Z0 to me ingame I'll probably just block on sight

not because I disagree with the ethos or anything, but because you're using the boundless creativity afforded you by following some crazy guy to do the exact same thing as everyone else, but with two different characters the best and most hilarious roleplayer in the game

FTFY

point still stands
if he's so good at roleplay, he should put more effort into his callsign

It's a great callsign. It still looks like a salute and is literally his initials. Moreover it uses the right hand, not the left, for the salute.

In any case it's just a starting point. The New Dominion has a much looser, improvisational feel on PS4. Hardly the same thing as everyone else.

You're welcome to block willy nilly but IMO blocking is a stupid feature that should only apply to comms. But it is what it is.

Of course it's a matter of taste but none of the other roleplay is interesting at all to me, with powerplay being among the worst of all. At least this is hilarious.

It's a great callsign. It still looks like a salute and is literally his initials. Moreover it uses the right hand, not the left, for the salute.

In any case it's just a starting point. The New Dominion has a much looser, improvisational feel on PS4. Hardly the same thing as everyone else.

You're welcome to block willy nilly but IMO blocking is a stupid feature that should only apply to comms. But it is what it is.

Of course it's a matter of taste but none of the other roleplay is interesting at all to me, with powerplay being among the worst of all. At least this is hilarious.

Yes, I am so utterly offended by two characters that I will genuinely block anyone who uses them.

domt like being filmed by a big bright pink ship with pink weapons pink engines, engineered to hell blasting the crap out of them. run away
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

...You're welcome to block willy nilly but IMO blocking is a stupid feature that should only apply to comms. But it is what it is.

I thought that blocking in ED was only comms. I am sure I have seen an FD dev state that blocking applies only to comms, not to in-game “you can’t see me any longer” type thing. I guess I must have be mistaken.

That's exactly what a wing of sideys in eravate did to me a few days ago. Interdicted me and asked "may we gank you?" with a wing of sidewinders. Even had a little bit of banter before I carried off on my way. Fun times. I'd have stuck around longer to shoot the breeze but then they brought a krait and a cutter to the party and that was my cue to exit stage left :p

I go much further, posting detailed warning about how I'll destroy their ships if they don't comply & various other Zarek propaganda to docked ships, etc.

When ganking I always send at least one and usually three comms before I attack. And just in case there is a language barrier I always make the final comms very very simple such as "HALT OR I FIRE" or even just "STOP".

Maybe 1/10 pilots reply. Even after I've beat them up to low hull and stop firing to try comms one last time.

I really wonder why some people bother playing at all. I realize I'm not everyone's favorite interaction, but if you're going to just act as if comms don't exist why not just play solo? Maybe some new players don't realize comms are a thing but I find it's pretty common even outside noob areas.

My favorite is when I ask a Commander a very clear question and get a "smart" non-answer in return.

Depending on the context I'll try to rebuy you just on principle!

Top Bottom