Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

All due respect, and no offense intended, but I do believe the posts you referred to kinda prove otherwise...

It's a forum phenomenon, for sure, can't see any of this sort of communication taking place in person at, say, a LAN party over coffee and crullers... but it can very well matter how a message is delivered, it's framing and implied intent, even sentence structure or choice of syntax. We don't see faces in forums, we only see text. And text is taken at face value.
You can always choose not to take things personally.

Lists make it easy to keep track of what others are missing and then show them. It also makes it easier to track your own mistakes or misconceptions. When you say "the posts you referred to kinda prove otherwise", I would naturally think "he just skimmed them". It results in a deadlock we could never escape. If you had listed them one by one on the other hand, we could talk about them normally. Using that style in a forum post may be emotionless, but trying to read aggression into the absence of emotion doesn't make any sense. And you say it yourself, you can't see any faces. Then why are you trying to visualise them?

Why don't we talk about how to write a script that contains EDDI in separate Voiceattack directories, so it doesn't mess with Voiceattack when you don't play Elite?

You can always choose not to take things personally.
I take none of this personally - like others, I was turned off by the attitude and inflection in your post(s). Maybe we could move past that already since words seem to be wasted showing you (however respectfully) that you presented your issue in a manner filled with unnecessary connotations. And you continue to apply such choice words now... "a parasitic app" ?! Seriously? Do you have no personal filter, brother? Yes, I realized what you are describing - yes, I understand the correlation to potentially unwanted programs doing potentially unwanted things... this is EDDI, this is not that case, no matter how you spin it.

Please drop all this and focus on the issue as some of us have been trying to do. You don't seem to see what we are presenting to you with regards to the manner in which you presented your issue, and such criticism was only presented with hopes of having a constructive purpose: to let you know you can just present an issue, rather than loading it into an automatic rifle filled with ire ammo. These are good guys! EDDI is not malicious software, is not malware, is not akin to a parasitic app. Focus on what is going wrong, move on already.

Why don't we talk about how to write a script that contains EDDI in separate Voiceattack directories, so it doesn't mess with Voiceattack when you don't play Elite?

Why don't we just let the EDDI Team evaluate what you have reported, and hope for an amicable review? Barring that, why don't we just turn off the EDDI Plugin from the VA Plugin Manager when we don't play Elite? Seems like that would be the wise move until such time as the EDDI Team can address this issue, and/or present a solution or implement an improvement, right?

@SemlerPDX You know very well that I did not accuse anyone of malicious intent. You see rifles where there are none.

And you cannot own other people's opinions. And if someone's choice of words blinds you to see the message, take a step back and think about the literal meaning of the word and not its use as an insult. "Parasites" are not evil. The word parasite merely describes its relationship with its host. I also did not say EDDI is malware. Again, you're imagining things.

The VA Plugin manager is not easily accessible which is part of the problem. It should, however, be fairly easy to build a workaround. Why do you want me to wait for anyone's review? That doesn't make any sense. More than one person can work on different solutions at the same time.

That's exactly what I mean. The only way to switch plugins on and off easily appears to be using two sets of data/apps directories.
Well, probably different datadirs is enough.

You have seriously lost me... I have no idea what you are talking about. The only way to switch plugins on and off easily is to open the VoiceAttack options menu and either disable plugin support globally, or to open the Plugin Manager and de-select the plugin you want to disable (in the event you have more than one, as I show in the example), and then restart VoiceAttack. Just quit with that mess already. It's not difficult, it's very easily accessible. That is not the issue at all, and furthermore has nothing to do with EDDI or Elite: Dangerous.

Last edited:
@SemlerPDX It is not your right to tell others what apps/scripts they should write or not, or what religion they should have or what they should eat etc.

If you can't see what it has to do with EDDI and Elite, you'll find out sooner or later. And if you think it's unnecessary nonsense, that's up to you. I'm certainly not trying to force my opinion onto others.

@SemlerPDX It is not your right to tell others what apps/scripts they should write or not, or what religion they should have or what they should eat etc.

If you can't see what it has to do with EDDI and Elite, you'll find out sooner or later. And if you think it's unnecessary nonsense, that's up to you. I'm certainly not trying to force my opinion onto others.
jjleeNw.png

Of course, I'm not welcome here. I didn't expect anything else.
Whether you are welcome or not depends much more on your attitudes. When I want someone to do something for me, I ask politely instead of demanding. But it's me.

But tell me... Do you really think it's ok that EDDI makes it impossible to use Voiceattack normally with anything other than Elite?
I think you are mixing things up. It is not EDDI that activates Voice Attck, but Voice Attack that activates EDDI.
If you don't want EDDI to work at any time when using VA, you should disable the plugin as SemlerPDX tried to show you. I believe that EDDI developers cannot interfere with VA programming.

Did you go to the Voice Attack forum to complain that their software allows a parasitic plugin (in your opinion) to work and fought with them for not warning you about it? And that VA activates EDDI even if Elite is not open?
Please don't do that, they are good guys too and don't deserve it.

@SemlerPDX It is not your right to tell others what apps/scripts they should write or not,
Very interesting... Think about your demands. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If I think EDDI does any harm to me I can request changes; if they don't come I just remove it from my computer and move on.

Well, this will be my last comment on this. If you think that being aggressive is the best way to achieve your goals, I will not be the one to change your opinion.
Sorry to all for contributing to take the focus off the topic.

How about we just drop it as a line of discussion.

Density - We get your issues

Everyone else - he's entitled to his view

And

Those of us who enjoy EDDI and are happy with it are entitled to our opinion as well.

Let's just move on.

Personally, I'm more focused on the next release moving out of beta.

KUDOS to the EDDI Dev Team.

NVM

Not going down the yellow brick road on this one
I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.
"There's no place like home! There's no place like home!"

@densityThe EDDI team is only three people, and their time is as limited as anyone else's.

If the volume of data being sent by your computer is greater than expected, then I am sure the team will be more than happy to look into it. ...

I'm trying to smooth things over. ...

↑ THIS AND THIS -- 100% -- TIME TO FOCUS ON WHAT WE HAVE IN COMMON: A desire for EDDI to work and work well.

How about we just drop it as a line of discussion.

Density - We get your issues

Everyone else - he's entitled to his view

And

Those of us who enjoy EDDI and are happy with it are entitled to our opinion as well.

Let's just move on.

Personally, I'm more focused on the next release moving out of beta.

KUDOS to the EDDI Dev Team.

Thanks for the report and yes this is the right place. This would have been due to a termporary inability to reach the server on GitHub. Please try again and let us know if it is still a problem.

Good call re making the message more specific, we'll make that change.
This is still an issue on every start of EDDI - anything I can do to find out what the issue might be? Sounds like it's just me?

Anyway on another subject guys 'n gals me being a big fan of Red Dwarf I decided to spend some Arx in the store on the "Leo" voice for use in ED. Unfortunately it only appears to work in ED and not EDDI, is there a way to get EDDI to use Leo instead of its present Windows TTS default?.

As far as I'm aware, it's just you. Are you able to access this link from your web browser?
Thanks for the response. Yes - can see that fine. Yesterday VA crashed after starting - I went to EDDI settings and disabled EDDP monitor (it was the only one I didn't really know what it was) and since then it has been fine - touch wood!
I suspect coincidence, but who knows!?

Thanks for the response. Yes - can see that fine. Yesterday VA crashed after starting - I went to EDDI settings and disabled EDDP monitor (it was the only one I didn't really know what it was) and since then it has been fine - touch wood!
I suspect coincidence, but who knows!?

I was having quite a bit of lag in response and VA crashed a couple times for me as well.

Disabled EDDP to see if that helps. So far it looks to be improved, but I'll give it a bit more time to see if that's a factor.

Top Bottom