Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Last week I was in the middle of a game when the star values suddenly returned to the normal(ish) value of around 3000. I hadn't restarted the game or EDDI. One system it was 1000cr, jumped to the next and it was back up to 3000cr, and has been ever since.

Planet values are still way too low though, and after restarting my PC every day, this hasn't changed.

Edit: I've just tried this with two practically identical planets. Both Rocky Ice Worlds with Argon-Rich atmospheres, roughly the same size and gravity. Without VA running (EDDI standalone) one was worth over 1000cr. With VA running (EDDI as a plug-in) the second planet was worth 412cr. Seems there is something up with the plug-in version.
We think that we've identified the source of this issue... a failure to correctly read your ship module information from settings and therefore returning values as if you didn't have a detailed surface scanner equipped. https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/issues/845

Tkael, i've seen you popping up in the VA forum on a somewhat similar topic, maybe one of the other pals reading this has experienced this, too:

I left ED quite some time ago, and just returned to the game. Updated everything before, TCE, EDMC, VA (non-steam), EDDI, you name it.
Always including the last beta builds. I'm on WIN 10, if it matters.

Now, i have frequent crashes of VA, no error log but just keeps closing itself after some time ingame.
Event viewer mentions an access violation of VA, after that i have an error mentioning an ivona dll file.
Updated the voice itself, and checked the realtek settings regarding the input channels, like mentioned in the VA forum.

Still no luck, VA just keeps closing itself from time to time.
Can anyone relate, have any insights by chance?

edit: seems not to be related to EDDI. reverted VA back to 1.6.9.25 and had no errors up to now.
reported in VA forum, and will investigate further.

edit, round 2:
when importing the EDDI .vap i get a message telling me some functions may not be available cause it was done with a newer version of VA.
anything particular to look at? would i have to modify or disable some functions until it's safe to update VA?

Last edited:
Tkael, i've seen you popping up in the VA forum on a somewhat similar topic, maybe one of the other pals reading this has experienced this, too:

I left ED quite some time ago, and just returned to the game. Updated everything before, TCE, EDMC, VA (non-steam), EDDI, you name it.
Always including the last beta builds. I'm on WIN 10, if it matters.

Now, i have frequent crashes of VA, no error log but just keeps closing itself after some time ingame.
Event viewer mentions an access violation of VA, after that i have an error mentioning an ivona dll file.
Updated the voice itself, and checked the realtek settings regarding the input channels, like mentioned in the VA forum.

Still no luck, VA just keeps closing itself from time to time.
Can anyone relate, have any insights by chance?

edit: seems not to be related to EDDI. reverted VA back to 1.6.9.25 and had no errors up to now.
reported in VA forum, and will investigate further.

edit, round 2:
when importing the EDDI .vap i get a message telling me some functions may not be available cause it was done with a newer version of VA.
anything particular to look at? would i have to modify or disable some functions until it's safe to update VA?

Welcome back commander. :)

I've discussed the crashes with VoiceAttack's developer (who was quite helpful by the way). I was able to create a test command in VoiceAttack that reliably failed (crashed) and my solution reliably passes my test (no crash - yay!)... I'm hopeful that it will put this issue to bed permanently. The pull request is pending review and incorporation.

I'm not aware of any incompatibility issues with the current EDDI.vap and older versions of VA.

o7

Last edited:
Welcome back commander. :)

I've discussed the crashes with VoiceAttack's developer (who was quite helpful by the way). I was able to create a test command in VoiceAttack that reliably failed (crashed) and my solution reliably passes my test (no crash - yay!)... I'm hopeful that it will put this issue to bed permanently. The pull request is pending review and incorporation.

I'm not aware of any incompatibility issues with the current EDDI.vap and older versions of VA.

o7

Thx mate!

Things changed quite a bit though, if you'd be so kind and take a look over here:

https://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2234.0

Last info on this, quoted from that thread:

Tested a bit, and it's really strange.
It seems to be the mixture of EDDI and VA talking after another...
Made a new test profile, only some 'say' actions via VA. no crashes so far.
Imported a command with EDDI talking, and added another line for VA's 'say' command.
Instacrash.
As long as i make sure only one way is used, i seem to be safe.
So, it seems to be down to Win 10 itself somehow?
Single TTS instance is set, makes no difference as far as i can see...

I've been using VA and HSD for a few months, and just found out about EDDI. I installed it, and have a couple questions:
*It is calling me "Recruit". Where do I change this to my commander name? Is it in the vap? I read something about the variables and found {TXT:Name}: the name of the commander. Do I change "Name" to "Fred" (or whatever)?

* Where do I turn down the volume of the EDDI voice?

* How do I change the voice to something else?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to using it when my VR Helmet arrives!

Sounds you haven't been in the GUI yet. With VA active, say 'configure eddi'.
Most is self-explanatory in there.
Have fun!

Thx mate!

Things changed quite a bit though, if you'd be so kind and take a look over here:

https://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2234.0

Last info on this, quoted from that thread:

Tested a bit, and it's really strange.
It seems to be the mixture of EDDI and VA talking after another...
Made a new test profile, only some 'say' actions via VA. no crashes so far.
Imported a command with EDDI talking, and added another line for VA's 'say' command.
Instacrash.
As long as i make sure only one way is used, i seem to be safe.
So, it seems to be down to Win 10 itself somehow?
Single TTS instance is set, makes no difference as far as i can see...

What you're describing is actually very similar to the test command I used to generate crashes. If the issue is the number of TTS instances, as we suspect, then https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/pull/823 should resolve the issue.

I've been using VA and HSD for a few months, and just found out about EDDI. I installed it, and have a couple questions:
*It is calling me "Recruit". Where do I change this to my commander name? Is it in the vap? I read something about the variables and found {TXT:Name}: the name of the commander. Do I change "Name" to "Fred" (or whatever)?

* Where do I turn down the volume of the EDDI voice?

* How do I change the voice to something else?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to using it when my VR Helmet arrives!
`{TXT:Fred}` won't work. Have you tried reading the value of `{TXT:Name}` in VoiceAttack?
Please review https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki/VoiceAttack-Integration. o7

Is it just me, or is the Frontier API not working at the moment? EDDI has "lost connection to Frontier API" and after several cycles of feeding it my password and then the Frontier activation code, it still cannot connect. It was working yesterday! I'm running v3.1.0-b2 at the moment.

Hmm. It seems to have come good again after reinstalling v3.0.3 release; don't know if it was a 3.1.0 data corruption, or just a transient error on the Frontier API side.

Loophole said:
Is it just me, or is the Frontier API not working at the moment? EDDI has "lost connection to Frontier API" and after several cycles of feeding it my password and then the Frontier activation code, it still cannot connect. It was working yesterday! I'm running v3.1.0-b2 at the moment.
99.9% of the time, this is a connection issue with Frontier's server. Just have to wait until they get what ever issue they are having sorted, and then reconnect.

Congrats for this amazing tool! I have a small request.When you approach a planetary base instead of saying the base's name it referrers to us the name of the planetary body.Is it in future plans to fix this please?
Also when we enter Shinrarta Dezhra system the eddi says that there are 2 orbital stations where there is only one.Is this information retrieved from some servers (not from game it's self) and it is wrongly reported?

Congrats for this amazing tool! I have a small request.When you approach a planetary base instead of saying the base's name it referrers to us the name of the planetary body.Is it in future plans to fix this please?
Also when we enter Shinrarta Dezhra system the eddi says that there are 2 orbital stations where there is only one.Is this information retrieved from some servers (not from game it's self) and it is wrongly reported?

Hi psefergr,

You can edit the default 'Entered Normal Space' script and add on {event.body} to this line:-
Code:
        {station.model}, {P(settlement)}
So it becomes
Code:
        {station.model}, {P(settlement)} on {event.body}
(this line is in the section about 'station').
This will tell you the settlement type, name and the planet it's on.

Or, if you only wish to hear the planet name, then you can remove the section about the stations entirely. In which case, where it says:-
Code:
    {if station:
        {SetState('eddi_context_body_name', settlement)}
        {OneOf("near", "close to", "in the vicinity of")}
        {set station_missions to F("Mission check station")}
    |else:
        {OneOf("near", "close to", "in the vicinity of")} planet {P(event.body)}
    }
delete this, keeping the line {OneOf("near", "close to", "in the vicinity of")} planet {P(event.body)} only.

To make any edits to the EDDI default personality, you must first make a copy of the default. Click the button that says 'Copy personality' at the bottom of the 'Speech Responder' tab.

If you need any more help, let me know. :)

o7

-=] Darkcyde [=-

Hi psefergr,

You can edit the default 'Entered Normal Space' script and add on {event.body} to this line:-
Code:
So it becomes
Code:
        {station.model}, {P(settlement)} on {event.body}
(this line is in the section about 'station').
This will tell you the settlement type, name and the planet it's on.

Or, if you only wish to hear the planet name, then you can remove the section about the stations entirely. In which case, where it says:-
Code:
    {if station:
    |else:
    }
delete this, keeping the line {OneOf("near", "close to", "in the vicinity of")} planet {P(event.body)} only.

To make any edits to the EDDI default personality, you must first make a copy of the default. Click the button that says 'Copy personality' at the bottom of the 'Speech Responder' tab.

If you need any more help, let me know. :)

o7

-=] Darkcyde [=-

Here is what it shows where do i make the changes?

UoT0tpR.jpg

Here is what it shows where do i make the changes?

Ahh, that is quite an old version of the script. Are you using the new version of EDDI? Get the latest beta from here https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/releases/tag/Release/3.1-b2

Then you can follow my suggestion above.

Or copy and paste the below script. This is the default from the latest beta.
Code:
{_ Context }
{SetState('eddi_context_last_subject', 'fsd')}
{SetState('eddi_context_last_action', 'disengage')}
{SetState('eddi_context_system_name', event.system)}
{SetState('eddi_context_body_name', event.body)}
{SetState('eddi_context_body_system', event.system)}

{_ If following a glide event, pause is not required. _}
{if !(status.near_surface && status.fsd_status = "masslock"):
    {Pause(5000)}
}

{OneOf("{ShipName()} has", "")} 
{OneOf("left supercruise", "{OneOf(\"entered\", \"returned to\", \"dropped to\")} normal space")}

{if event.bodytype = 'Planet':
    {set settlement to state.eddi_context_last_settlement}
    {set station to StationDetails(settlement, event.system)}
    {if station:
    |else:
    }
    {Pause(1000)}
    {set body to BodyDetails(event.body, event.system)}
    {if !body.name || body.name = "" || !body.gravity:
        Planetary approach data not available.
    |else:
        {if body.landable:
            {set gravity to round(body.gravity,2)}
            {if gravity > 4:
                Danger! {P(body.name)} is an extremely high gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            |elif gravity > 2:
                Caution! {P(body.name)} is a high gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            |elif gravity > 0.5:
                Warning! {P(body.name)} is a medium gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            |else:
                {P(body.name)} is a low gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            }
        }
    }
    {if station_missions:
        {Pause(500)}
        {station_missions}
    }

|elif event.bodytype = 'Star':
    {OneOf("near", "close to", "in the vicinity of")} star {P(event.body)}
|elif event.bodytype = 'Station':
    {set station to StationDetails(event.body, event.system)}
    {station.model}, {P(event.body)}
    {Pause(500)}
    {F("Mission check station")}
|elif event.bodytype = 'PlanetaryRing':
    Planetary Ring {P(token(event.body," Ring",0))}
}.

-=] Darkcyde [=-

Ahh, that is quite an old version of the script. Are you using the new version of EDDI? Get the latest beta from here https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/releases/tag/Release/3.1-b2

Then you can follow my suggestion above.

Or copy and paste the below script. This is the default from the latest beta.
Code:
{_ Context }
{SetState('eddi_context_last_subject', 'fsd')}
{SetState('eddi_context_last_action', 'disengage')}
{SetState('eddi_context_system_name', event.system)}
{SetState('eddi_context_body_name', event.body)}
{SetState('eddi_context_body_system', event.system)}

{_ If following a glide event, pause is not required. _}
{if !(status.near_surface && status.fsd_status = "masslock"):
    {Pause(5000)}
}

{OneOf("{ShipName()} has", "")} 
{OneOf("left supercruise", "{OneOf(\"entered\", \"returned to\", \"dropped to\")} normal space")}

{if event.bodytype = 'Planet':
    {set settlement to state.eddi_context_last_settlement}
    {set station to StationDetails(settlement, event.system)}
    {if station:
    |else:
    }
    {Pause(1000)}
    {set body to BodyDetails(event.body, event.system)}
    {if !body.name || body.name = "" || !body.gravity:
        Planetary approach data not available.
    |else:
        {if body.landable:
            {set gravity to round(body.gravity,2)}
            {if gravity > 4:
                Danger! {P(body.name)} is an extremely high gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            |elif gravity > 2:
                Caution! {P(body.name)} is a high gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            |elif gravity > 0.5:
                Warning! {P(body.name)} is a medium gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            |else:
                {P(body.name)} is a low gravity world, at {gravity} G.
            }
        }
    }
    {if station_missions:
        {Pause(500)}
        {station_missions}
    }

|elif event.bodytype = 'Star':
    {OneOf("near", "close to", "in the vicinity of")} star {P(event.body)}
|elif event.bodytype = 'Station':
    {set station to StationDetails(event.body, event.system)}
    {station.model}, {P(event.body)}
    {Pause(500)}
    {F("Mission check station")}
|elif event.bodytype = 'PlanetaryRing':
    Planetary Ring {P(token(event.body," Ring",0))}
}.

-=] Darkcyde [=-

Thank you my friend for your suggestion it's perfect now!

Anyone else has probs with ((EDDI location)) not firing anymore when returning to main menu / getting back into game?
I had a command running which checked if i'm in SRV, and switching lights, energy and sensors.
Doesn't work anymore, it seems. Location in journal is reported, just the EDDI function doesn't seem to fire.
Any thoughts?

Anyone else has probs with ((EDDI location)) not firing anymore when returning to main menu / getting back into game?
I had a command running which checked if i'm in SRV, and switching lights, energy and sensors.
Doesn't work anymore, it seems. Location in journal is reported, just the EDDI function doesn't seem to fire.
Any thoughts?

With which exact version please? (need exact version string, don't say "latest".)

latest. [big grin]
3.1.0-b2

edit: it only seems to not fire when in srv on a planet. in ship / normal space it does, afaiw.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

It's that time again when I finally get off my butt, stop tinkering with scripts, and actually get around to releasing the latest version of my EDDI personality.

This one has had a lot done since my last release, and a large part of that is the recent removal of my Missions System, replacing it with the new EDDI built-in version. On the plus side, the auto-nav route plotting with Voice Attack is much improved, and more reliable with actually activating.

There are many other changes and improvements, and probably a load of stuff I forgot to mention in the change log too.

Well, here it is. Try it, like it, or hate it. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7z0sa85afnjw81/Darkcydes_Defaults_19-10-18.rar?dl=0

You can also get it from the link in my signature below.

Have fun Cmdrs, and don't forget to read the change log for some important information!

Any questions, suggestions, or bug reports, just let me know! :D

Fly safe out there! o7

-=] Darkcyde [=-

EDIT: I've found an critical error in an important script (Mission Route Update) that will sometimes break mission update reporting. I accidentally left something out when testing last thing last night. I've fixed it and uploaded the fixed version. I've change the link above and the one in my signature, so please download again if you haven't already got a copy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom