Release EDSY - The ship outfitting tool formerly known as E:D Shipyard; reimagined, redesigned, reborn

1) Is there a way to apply a 10% discount to everything? (eg; Founder's World global discount)
2) Some of my imported ships don't seem to be applying all the engineering mods unless I remove and re-add them. Is this a known issue?
Yeah, a default discount would be a good thing to add to the options, alongside the insurance level; I'll put that on the list.
Found an error. I think most of the ship cost values are from a person who has elite. If I use just 15% in edsy I get them from Li space is the same price as I payed for with my 15% and 2.5% elite bonus.
I'll make a note to go double check the in-game ship prices again, but IIRC I checked most of them against Jameson (adjusting for my own 2.5% elite and 10% Jameson discounts).
Edit: Also, Imperial hammers have their Sustained and DPS values wrong. I think the current sustained DPS is the correct value for actual DPS using only the 1.2second charge and fire time of the burst and any intervals.
I haven't gone through all your numbers yet to see where we differ, but right off I can tell you that the Imperial Hammer was tested and found to have a quirk (possibly a bug, possibly fixed now) that let it resume firing continuously after reloading without having to go through its charge-up time again. So there's a special case for the Hammer in the code to model this behavior, which has the effect of making its SROF better than its ROF, unlike every other weapon whose SROF should be the same or worse, depending whether it has any clip or reload time. So that'd be the first place to check your numbers to see if they then match. :)
I have ingame a 1D Rail Gun with Grade 4 Long Range and Plasma Slug and it tells me, that the Damage is 21,0 ,the Firerate is 1,6/second and therefore the Dps are 33,3/second

In EDSY an 1D Rail Gun, with Long Range Grade 4 and Plasma Slug, shows a Rate of Fire 0,6135 and with this the Dps are only 12,887 / s
The in-game ROF and DPS calculations can be misleading since they don't really model the way charge-time, burst-interval, and reload-time interact. The way EDSY calculates ROF for the un-modified 1D Rail Gun is with a 1.0 second charge-up time before the shot, and a 0.63 second delay after its 1-round "burst", for a 1.63 second total cycle time which is 1 / 1.63 = 0.61 shots per second. For SROF the reload time is factored in, but it turns out the charge-up time and the final burst-interval delay can overlap with the reload, so for this weapon it makes no difference: after the shot, 1.0 seconds are spent reloading at the same time as the 0.63 second delay and the 1.0 second charge-up for the next shot, by which time the reload is already done so it ends up with the same 1.63 second cycle time.

Where this may break down is with Plasma Slug, which I haven't seen careful testing of so I'm not sure how that changes the reload time, if at all. But since this weapon's reload time is irrelevant due to its charge-up time, it may not make any difference to the actual observed rate of fire in-game.
export to edengineer. any way this could be added?
That's on the list! Dunno when I'll get to it though.
However, i am looking for a possibility to transfer my builds between several pc's. They seem to be stored somehow, but i can't transfer them :(
There is a "backup all data" button in the help/options panel which will encode all your builds and preferences for you to copy over to another machine and/or browser, and then click the up-arrow-in-tray icon at the top left of a ship build to re-import (at some point I'll add a second, more obvious place to get to the import screen). The down-arrow-in-tray icon there can also be used to export a single build. In both cases though, it's a one-time manual copy; to continually keep builds in sync between devices you'd need some external tool to synchronize those browsers' localStorage, but I don't have any experience with such tools unfortunately.

There is a "backup all data" button in the help/options panel which will encode all your builds and preferences for you to copy over to another machine and/or browser, and then click the up-arrow-in-tray icon at the top left of a ship build to re-import (at some point I'll add a second, more obvious place to get to the import screen). The down-arrow-in-tray icon there can also be used to export a single build. In both cases though, it's a one-time manual copy; to continually keep builds in sync between devices you'd need some external tool to synchronize those browsers' localStorage, but I don't have any experience with such tools unfortunately.

While this was not exactly what i was looking for (user management etc), it is exactly, what i need - backup all - > send a self message via discord -> restore.

Thanks!

... while we are at it :)

creating a eddb-link with a search for ship & outfitted modules to get a list of stations that sell your build. Could/should be done from the retrofit report. Man! That would be great...

What an amazing shipbuilding tool, which I have only just discovered! Thank you for all the hard work you have put in on this!

I have a couple of beginner's questions, if I may.

Firstly, are my builds stored locally on my PC as a cookie or something, or is there a remote server that stores my builds? So, can I access my builds from other machines? If so, there seems to be no login requirement or anything.

Secondly, is it possible to import my existing fleet into the EDSY tool, direct from the game, so that I can tinker without breaking my ships?

Finally, is there an export to some sort of Excel .xls output; before finding EDSY, I have been keeping my builds in a spreadsheet and I would like to continue doing so as a standby.

Thanks again for this amazing tool!

Last edited:
are my builds stored locally on my PC as a cookie or something, or is there a remote server that stores my builds? So, can I access my builds from other machines? If so, there seems to be no login requirement or anything.
Builds are stored locally in your browser's "localStorage", which is like a cookie but designed specifically for this sort of thing. So you can safely "clear cookies" without losing your builds, but in most browsers there's a more comprehensive clear-history function which will wipe out localStorage, and that will erase your builds.

As such no, they're not automatically visible on any other machine (or other browser on the same machine), precisely because that kind of server-side storage and account infrastructure would be much more complicated to set up and more expensive to host. But there is an export function for a single build, and a backup-all-data button for all builds at once, which you can use to migrate between machines or browsers.
Secondly, is it possible to import my existing fleet into the EDSY tool, direct from the game, so that I can tinker without breaking my ships?
Yes, if you click the import button (looks like an up-arrow in a tray, top left of the central panel in the outfitting tab), you can authorize EDSY to pull your builds directly from Frontier using their API. Note however that this will only cover ships you've sat in recently in-game, so you may have to cycle through them all in a station in order to get them to populate into the API for EDSY to pull them in.
Finally, is there an export to some sort of Excel .xls output; before finding EDSY, I have been keeping my builds in a spreadsheet and I would like to continue doing so as a standby.
There's no spreadsheet export, no, but the export button (looks like a down-arrow in a tray, right next to the import button) has a text format that may be suitable for your purpose? It also has the SLEF format, which is a relatively new community standard formatted as JSON and based on the game journal format, so that may be easier to parse in some tools (possibly not excel, though).

Builds are stored locally in your browser's "localStorage", which is like a cookie but designed specifically for this sort of thing. So you can safely "clear cookies" without losing your builds, but in most browsers there's a more comprehensive clear-history function which will wipe out localStorage, and that will erase your builds.

As such no, they're not automatically visible on any other machine (or other browser on the same machine), precisely because that kind of server-side storage and account infrastructure would be much more complicated to set up and more expensive to host. But there is an export function for a single build, and a backup-all-data button for all builds at once, which you can use to migrate between machines or browsers.

Yes, if you click the import button (looks like an up-arrow in a tray, top left of the central panel in the outfitting tab), you can authorize EDSY to pull your builds directly from Frontier using their API. Note however that this will only cover ships you've sat in recently in-game, so you may have to cycle through them all in a station in order to get them to populate into the API for EDSY to pull them in.

There's no spreadsheet export, no, but the export button (looks like a down-arrow in a tray, right next to the import button) has a text format that may be suitable for your purpose? It also has the SLEF format, which is a relatively new community standard formatted as JSON and based on the game journal format, so that may be easier to parse in some tools (possibly not excel, though).
Wonderful, thank you so much! This really is golden. Cheers :)

Hi commanders,

I really like EDSY but there's a thing I don't really understand in the thermal values.
For the WEP values, I don't understand what the time values mean ?

The image below is with 4 pips in the weapons.
1584126566724.png

And this one is with 2 pips in the weapons
1584126701754.png

Could you tell me please ? :)

For all thermal stats, percentage values indicate the equilibrium heat level while time values indicate the time until the ship reaches 100% heat (in which case there is no equilibrium level, because heat dissipation caps at ~67% heat, so if the ship reaches that point then it will keep heating up until death or heat generation is reduced).

For the WEP heat level, the two values indicate the possible bounds pretending that the WEP capacitor is always full (top), or is nearly empty (bottom), because weapon heat generation per shot actually goes up substantially as the WEP capacitor depletes. A more complex weapons fire simulation could pin down that value by modeling each successive shot and tracking where the ship heat level and WEP capacitor level is over time, but EDSY doesn't currently go to that extreme since such a simulation couldn't match real combat conditions anyway (engine boost adds heat sometimes, incoming fire may add heat, weapons are usually not fired continuously but rather in bursts as shots are lined up, etc). So EDSY just gives the upper and lower limits as a general guideline of what can be expected.

So in your top image, the four WEP pips allow the ship to fire more weapons more continuously such that the ship would overheat somewhere between 1.2 and 9.3 seconds of burst fire, depending again on the WEP capacitor level. In the bottom image, the two WEP pips can't keep up with as many weapons as often, so with a full WEP cap you could theoretically stabilize at 62% heat (but firing weapons for only a portion of their max ROF), or might overheat in as little as 3 seconds if the WEP capacitor were already nearly empty when you started firing.

This might be a bit much. But what about a weapons firing simulator where you fire the weapons loaded and see the heat spike in a basic cockpit simulator showing the same data to see the relevant in game indicators for comparison?

It might help people get a grasp on heat mechanics in game as you can play with any value basically. It would probably drastically improve the efficiency and design choices made by players.

Edit: didn't read the middle paragraph. But a basic one with just the pip and heat bar might be possible. And maybe a fuel indicator for plasma slug. wouldn't even need visuals beyond the heat/other bar visual. Weapons fire can be imagined and only involve a single mouse press or other button press. It could also add numbers to see the game in more specifics.

Last edited:
This might be a bit much. But what about a weapons firing simulator where you fire the weapons loaded and see the heat spike in a basic cockpit simulator showing the same data to see the relevant in game indicators for comparison?

It might help people get a grasp on heat mechanics in game as you can play with any value basically. It would probably drastically improve the efficiency and design choices made by players.

Edit: didn't read the middle paragraph. But a basic one with just the pip and heat bar might be possible. And maybe a fuel indicator for plasma slug. wouldn't even need visuals beyond the heat/other bar visual. Weapons fire can be imagined and only involve a single mouse press or other button press. It could also add numbers to see the game in more specifics.
That's definitely a neat idea; I'll toss it on the list and think about how that might work.

To avoid misleading people, though, we'd need a few more things researched to establish their mechanics. For example, I'm not sure exactly how to model heat generation from engine boosts; does it matter what the ENG cap level is, the way weapon heat is sensitive to WEP cap level? How long is a boost exactly? Does that vary by ship? How much heat per second is added during a boost? Does that vary by ship, or by thruster? Is it pegged to the thruster's non-boost thermal load value (thus affected by clean/dirty drives), or separate?

@taleden thanks for these very clear information.

Heat level simulation doesn't take everything into consideration, but it remains a very good tool to make comparison between different fittings options.

You could even start with just static weapons fire and work upwards. Then it could be figured out in steps and make more complex over time.

I never even thought about if cap on ENG effected heat... That might be interesting as to how much extra cap you want for boost in some cases. I've kind of wondered that in general but never attached it to heat for some reason. That could make for some interesting ideas in fine tuning a ship design. I wonder if that was intended to go with any ship designs.

Actually, I'm also curious if and what oddities use SYS as well. I forgot out this but that is one area I've never figured out and was curious about to be more accurate about ship design. I like accuracy in those area but it's really hard to figure out if little utilities or whatnot are using SYS.

Last edited:
Do you have the formula for Determining speed arbitrarily and the shield formula. I'm trying to do custom ships and can't figure out how to calculate them and I'm looking for the formula.

I'm also not sure if the normal engines are the same as the enhanced engines as far as formulas go.

-------------------------------------

Edit: About the ship price error. The price in the general ship listing where you can sort all ship stats is correct(Shipyard). It's in the screen after selecting the specific ship where you can adjust the price and set up equipment that is off by something like 2.5%(Outfitting).

That brings up another idea. What if all the other entires were editable also. I make custom ships so it's usefull. Currently several things auto adjust to another stat. What if both conditions exist. Say for min max for engines what if optimal/minimum/maximum thrust were both doable with default from optimal and editable afterwords or something to make custom ranges. I know it's not useful for the current game(or if it is I cant' think of it), but it might have other uses. Or have uses I can't think of.

Various stats like fuel use in FSD and many other stats don't have an edit bar. The auto adjust is really nice for normal game items though.

The other idea would be something displaying the formula uses somehow. Like a tool tip or something.

I know! The editable in all cases design could be useful for testing weird setups or simulating parts of something to see it better.

Odd example. I'm trying to figure out what enhanced engines would be if they went past 3A enhanced. This requires custom ranges of optimal and minimum tonnage.

As an example, I've figured out these potential parameters so far:

I know the maximum mass for each enhanced drive. I think the difference between the optimal and minimum is 1/10 the maximum mass. And the optimal divided by the difference and minimum divided by the minimum is a difference of 1. And I think the optimal is one of the optimal numbers from the normal engines. But I'm not sure which one.

Maximum mass = Difference between normal engines maximum *4/3 + A's maximum mass. 6engines= 180*4=720/3=240+2160=2400t
Difference between optimal and minimum should be = Enhanced engine max mass / 10 = 2400/10 = 240
And the optimal mass should be one of the optimal masses of the existing engines potentially.
optimal;minimum/difference = difference of 1. 960/240=4 720/240=3; 4-3=1
Not sure on how to pin down which of the normal optimal masses may be correct values for enhanced engines.
Edit: Difference of the optimal is 1/10th of the C's minimal mass for the normal engines.
Edit2: Top end of useful Drive distributor is potentially Maximum Mass/1.666666666...
Low end of Drive Distributors usefulness is potentially Maximum Mass/ 3.125.
Lower end DD usefulness + Difference is possibly the Optimal mass for an enhanced drive. This makes it potentially generally E or D. All drives above 3 are E's if the closer value is chosen and no varients in the equation are needed. This still may not be sufficient factors though.

Examples: (?)
5A Enhanced(E) potentially: Optimal: 560?, Minimum: 420?; difference 140; Maximum: 1400
6A Enhanced(E-A) potentially: Optimal: 960,1080,1200,1320,1440?; Minimum: 720,840,960,1080,1200?; difference 240; Maximum: 2400

Maybe a button that can go from auto to manual on the existing non editable numbers? Then you can change it in one mode and then edit in another so it doesn't change. Not sure if that is annoying to make or not though.

Last edited:
Updated to 3.6.2.1:
  • moved import and export buttons into an "OPS" popout menu in the top-right of the center outfitting panel
  • moved outfitting attribute column toggles into a "SHOW" popout menu
  • added an EDDB station search link for the current build (in the new "OPS" menu), and for retrofitting (beside the "Checklist" header)
  • enabled buttons to post updated builds back to Inara which were opened there for editing in EDSY
  • added another Import button in the Options panel next to the Backup/Export button
  • improved journal loadout importing logic
  • fixed a bug where weapon burst durations assumed sustained-EPS even if the calculated duration was less than a weapon's clip duration
  • fixed a bug where sensor max range was not correctly affected by the typical emissions range modifier
  • fixed a bug where the retrofit report copy-to-clipboard button included deselected items
  • added 1E,1D,1C Shield Generator modules
  • updated heat attributes for the Dolphin
  • updated verified masslock values for Imperial Cutter, Krait Mk II, Krait Phantom, and Type-10 Defender
  • updated FSD Interdictor blueprints from max grade 4 to 5
  • EDSY's source code has always been open licensed and freely available, but is now also maintained at https://github.com/taleden/EDSY

Is it just my imagination or is the old site easier to use? I've tried the new site a few times but, personally, I find ED Shipyard much less cluttered and easier to follow. I've been trying to use the new site to kit out a Cheiftain but after about 10min of trying to figure out how to get it just to start populating slots ( clicking on them doesn't do anything, selecting components from the list on the left panel doesn't do anything in my browsers ), I gave up and completed the whole activity in a few mins in ED Shipyard.

Sorry to be the dab squib in the room and top marks for your commitment in continuing to develop the tool; yours is definitely one of the most useful out there.

The new outfitting view has three panels; a "module browser" on the left, the "current build slots" in the middle, and the "module details" on the right.

A click/touch on a slot (middle) selects that slot (but doesn't change it yet), turning it solid orange; the details (right) then reflect the attributes of the module in that slot (if any), and the browser (left) shows which modules are available to install into that slot, with the currently installed module highlighted with a border.

A click/touch on a browser module (left) selects that available module (but doesn't install it yet), turning it solid orange; the currently selected slot (middle) switches to only being highlighted with a border, and the details (right) then reflect the attributes of the stock module that was selected from the browser.

A double-click/long-touch on a browser module (left) installs it into the currently selected slot (middle). A right-click on a slot (middle) removes the module from that slot (if any). You can also drag a module from the browser (left) to any slot (middle) to install it there, or drag a module from a slot to any other slot (middle) to move it, or drag a module from a slot (middle) back to the browser (left) to remove it.

So to populate slots of a build, the workflow is generally to click/touch the slot you want to change (middle), and then double-click/long-touch the module from the browser (left) that you want to install there. Or, if you want several similar modules in many slots, you can just drag and drop modules repeatedly from the browser (left) onto each desired slot (middle).

Is it just my imagination or is the old site easier to use? I've tried the new site a few times but, personally, I find ED Shipyard much less cluttered and easier to follow.
I also liked the old site’s design better, but I have moved on. We cannot expect taleden to maintain two sites that do essentially the same thing! I, for one, am very grateful for the one EDSY being maintained :)

I've been trying to use the new site to kit out a Cheiftain but after about 10min of trying to figure out how to get it just to start populating slots ( clicking on them doesn't do anything, selecting components from the list on the left panel doesn't do anything in my browsers ), I gave up and completed the whole activity in a few mins in ED Shipyard.
taleden already explained how to use the new site; I’m only adding an advice against using the old site since it has not been updated for years and thus many stats are out of date.

Thanks Taleden, great update. EDSY is a really useful tool.
Is it just my imagination or is the old site easier to use? I've tried the new site a few times but, personally, I find ED Shipyard much less cluttered and easier to follow. I've been trying to use the new site to kit out a Cheiftain but after about 10min of trying to figure out how to get it just to start populating slots ( clicking on them doesn't do anything, selecting components from the list on the left panel doesn't do anything in my browsers ), I gave up and completed the whole activity in a few mins in ED Shipyard.

Sorry to be the dab squib in the room and top marks for your commitment in continuing to develop the tool; yours is definitely one of the most useful out there.
It takes a bit to get into it, but after a while I found it much better than the old version. Also more mobile friendly.

A bit confused by the "Analysis" Tab. I want to figure out what materials I need to create a specific, engineered build.

When I put a six into every field in "Rolls to complete each grade", it calculates that I need five materials for each grade. For G5 its always only one material, despite what I put in the field. In this case it should be for example 6 Zirconium, as I put grade 5 100%, 6 rolls and you need 1 Zirconium per Grade 5 roll.

Questions:
  • How does the calculation work exactly? Am I missing something or is there a bug.
  • In the checklist under details it states Overcharged G5 x 1, despite I entered a 6 in the box. And in G1-4 it states x 5, but I also entered a 6 there...

Think its easier to see it in a picture:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Top Bottom