Elite Dangerous Community Schedule W/C 28 June 2021

@sallymorganmoore can you please elaborate on whether the dev post tomorrow is instead of a stream or if they are still part of the (monthly) plan?
Because for whatever reason, Frontier are not answering this question in the forums (as far as I have seen). Here is their answer on Twitter:

Source: https://twitter.com/elitedangerous/status/1409789298853961733

And also, because Frontier haven't specifically said "There's no dev stream" in the Twitter post (why are they being vague again?!), I have asked the CM's directly. Answer is no, there will not be a livestream with the devs. At least not this week. Who knows about the future? 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-29 141841.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-29 141841.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 144

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Because for whatever reason, Frontier are not answering this question in the forums (as far as I have seen). Here is their answer on Twitter:

Source: https://twitter.com/elitedangerous/status/1409789298853961733

And also, because Frontier haven't specifically said "There's no dev stream" in the Twitter post (why are they being vague again?!), I have asked the CM's directly. Answer is no, there will not be a livestream with the devs. At least not this week. Who knows about the future? 🤷‍♂️

If anyone's about for the steam tonight, the guys will elaborate on this. Take a hot minute to get round to some of these posts but appreciate the copy pastes, OA.

If anyone's about for the steam tonight, the guys will elaborate on this. Take a hot minute to get round to some of these posts but appreciate the copy pastes, OA.

I'm not usually as blunt as this, but I have a feeling that a portion of the community won't care about the reason, unless it's significant. After weeks of the CM team promoting a livestream with the Devs, many players are viewing it as a make or break moment.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVgmtjzSWI

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bVFUfb3rI

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I'm not usually as blunt as this, but I have a feeling that a portion of the community won't care about the reason, unless it's significant. After weeks of the CM team promoting a livestream with the Devs, many players are viewing it as a make or break moment.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVgmtjzSWI

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bVFUfb3rI

I'd be doing my job very wrong if I hadn't seen these videos, OA :) As I say, the guys will elaborate more on the plan later this evening in Supercruise News. I'm afraid I can't say anything more at this point. Thanks!

I hope I`m completely and utterly wrong, but this stinks of an arbitrary decision being made to get the devs on stream, without actually consulting with them or their leadership first.

I really REALLY hope they go into detail about this tonight and don't just give two or three unpleasant sentences followed by some gameplay. This Thursday is very important for the future of the game. Sadly there is little hope around right now.
Well I for one think it's much more important to see them play the pre-DLC version of the game instead. CQC! CQC!

How utterly absurd! It's for this kind of asinine nonsense that I've stopped watching your videos.
I don't think it's absurd at all.

Odyssey is in my opinion, very, very lacklustre for a £40 expansion pack. Before you take bugs into account. There's just not that much actually there.

And it's still really broken. I literally just died FOR NO REASON downloading an opinion poll (in a room, not on fire, shields up and full in a G3 maverick). And then you've got the floating concourse, missing mats, bouncy corpses, bums-through-seats and feet through the floor misalignment of NPCs, and so many other bugs it's just not funny.

Elite has become exactly what many decried Star Citizen for being (a hot buggy mess). And it doesn't even look as good.

As was pointed out on another thread maybe this is to protect the Devs.. they are not gonna want to be bawled at or have their work picked apart. The CM team are trained in managing people and can decipher it better one hopes. Would be bad if the devs felt personally attacked as some idiots are wont to do. There is anger and frustration over the state of the game but making the poor hard working devs face that is maybe cruelty on top of cruelty. I dunno.. someone has to be accountable though. This game didn't release itself.

How utterly absurd! It's for this kind of asinine nonsense that I've stopped watching your videos.
He's not wrong. Many have already left. Those that are hanging on view this Thursday as very important.
There are also a lot of posters here (who may or may not be OA's followers) equally concerned about Thursday - purely because every question that has been asked to do with the time following then until Console launch has been left with a non-commital answer, very reminiscent of the 'good old days' when Frontier had the common sense to ignore us all.

I asked the question directly twice, in the last few weeks - the second had a response...

Frontier staff are busy on damage control in both development and on Social Media, all we can do is sit on our hands as all we will be told, we have been 🤷‍♂️
But, it is still massively improved communication, which is very positive!

Will the Game Director be available for questions on Wednesday's Stream? Also would he be able to share what he is hoping with Odyssey going forward and what features he is intending to develop? (without giving too much away obvs). I would be amazing if the Game Director would be available for some questions from the community.

Will Horizon's players be locked out on playing Elite: Dangerous when Console is released and is Merged, if their PC specifications do not match the specifications of Odyssey?

Or are you still making sure that the Odyssey will run, and be subject to, the same PC requirements that where for Horizons as was previously advertised, and will the storefronts on Steam/Epic reflect the lower Horizon requirements when the performance and optimisation is completed for Odyssey? If not, how come, and what has changed?

Will console players have the same quality and performance that is already present in the current console version on Day 1 of the Console release of Odyssey?

As was pointed out on another thread maybe this is to protect the Devs.. they are not gonna want to be bawled at or have their work picked apart. The CM team are trained in managing people and can decipher it better one hopes. Would be bad if the devs felt personally attacked as some idiots are wont to do. There is anger and frustration over the state of the game but making the poor hard working devs face that is maybe cruelty on top of cruelty. I dunno.. someone has to be accountable though. This game didn't release itself.
Yeah, it's important to note that the angry voices here should not be directed at the CM team or actual developers, the problem we have is in upper management. I think people easily confuse the terminology and if pressed would agree that it's not the developers we hold accountable (maybe the company name creates some confusion too). And if someone is blaming this on the people who are working their butts off in an extremely stressful situation that is most certainly not their fault they have a screw loose.

I think its pretty realistic to ask for target framerates.
That was in David Braben's second progress post - 30 FPS on low spec, 60 FPS on higher spec (which matches the colours on the in-game FPS display). Now it just needs enough optimisation that it meets that...

David Braben said:
Turning to the subject of performance, first of all I’d like to provide some background. When we first set the min specs for Elite Dangerous (back at the time of the Kickstarter in 2012) we made the assumption that for low-spec machines the game was playable as long as the frame rate was above 30 fps, with 60 fps for higher spec machines. Over the subsequent weeks and months after release in 2014 we optimised the game significantly. We had a similar thought process for Odyssey, especially considering that the lower spec machines will tend to be five years old or more, or be laptops, that 30 fps would be acceptable as a minimum spec performance. Separately, we have heard reports of very high spec machines failing to perform as expected. We believe this is a different issue, possibly CPU-related, and are looking into that too, as we speak.

To be fair, I don't want to hear from the basic devs.

I want to hear from the game director or Braben, explaining why things are this bad, and what they're gonna do about it.

If Odyssey ran smooth as butter and bug-free (mostly) with the content it offers right now, I'd still be a little disgruntled, but might be more patient till after console release. As is, well, Elite is the game I've played most. Ever. And I'm just not feeling it so much. Sticking with it in the hopes of it getting stable, but [REDACTED] is looking rather snacky, my mates play it, and the ship I paid for in 2013 (lol) is about to drop into the live alpha.

If Odyssey was working well, I could possibly have talked my gun-happy friends into playing it as well. But the way it is, I just can't recommend it.

@Arthur Tolmie asked us on that stream the other day (one I actually watched) to bear with them to the end of the month. Well, it's time to deliver on that*.

*: Realistically, with what's still currently wrong as of update 4 I don't see how it's possible.

Agreed. There has to be an outlet for genuine complaint though and the CM team are it (sorry guys) but if there isn't a place to voice your feelings to, what's the alternative? Sit down and shut up, hope it all goes away? Someone has to know when the players are miffed and let's just hope they've got the idea already but by some of the bizarre choices in focus my faith in that is currently recovering from a few knocks.

Top Bottom