Elite Dangerous Community Schedule W/C 31 May 2021

Forgive me for being a touch pedantic, but we haven't been told to expect something "this week." We've been told a roadmap will be published 4 June. I have no expectations, nor am I owed anything before then. I understand that people are upset, what I don't understand is the hostility and passive aggressive poking going on.
Anyway the steps forecasts are rarely kept on time for their operational achievements.

This is the foundation of computing in general and programming in particular. No problem with that.

😷

What was provided was an estimate, not a guarantee. The situation may have changed since that post was written and a revised estimate based on newer, more accurate information may come.

Never really been a one for blind trust myself, I prefer to check & get confirmation that something is still on target rather than assuming things will be fine as we are being asked to do here.

Hopefully clarification will arrive sooner rather than later if the provided estimate proves to be inaccurate.
We knew the announcements for announcements, now we can add the estimates for estimates. :)

😷

It's not normal that we are not yet June 4th.

I'm mad. 😤:)

😷
Hilarious that

a) the complaining is really pre-complaining
b) seeing how utterly ridiculous that is
c) some of the complaints are that they dont read these comments

Who would read any of this ridiculousness? But they probably still do.

There's another space sim that has a roadmap, and the more things they cross off it, the more money they get. I guess they're doing it right?

Anyway the steps forecasts are rarely kept on time for their operational achievements.

This is the foundation of computing in general and programming in particular. No problem with that.

😷

That is not the foundation of computing in general at all. It never was (going back to '79) and all the way to present. Any time I have sold to a customer, they have asked for delivery time frames and where necessary, a schedule was agreed. That agreement became contract and the purchase made based on that contract.

Game publishers are different, they rely on their communities to give a 'get out of jail' card. Maybe this community will do the same.

Regardless, the reality is that many players purchased a product that was delivered, not fit for purpose. Their cash is gone and they are now in limbo with promises of a 'roadmap' as to when things might get better. What's a roadmap? More waffle about what/when they (frontier) say they are going to do. That could easily be another 2 year roadmap of promises, like we've seen before.

Meanwhile, Horizons is still a mess and largely going ignored, so I really don't hold much hope for you guys with the new expansion., no matter what the 'roadmap' will say. My guess is, there's going to be a lot of waffle and very few apologies.

When? Friday? Friday morning, Friday evening, earlier?
SoonTM and not answering these questions seems to be annoying a fair few people.

Are you on track to deliver something that you've promised is not a difficult question.
You're complaining before there's anything to complain about. We're all keen to see the roadmap to full release but give them a chance. Have a good day.

May I respectfully suggest to the CM team or whoever handles these things nowadays that if you intend to have a formal seperation of important info and filler info that you begin each week with a schedule of when the important stuff is going to be broadcast please. The filler stuff is to make us feel happy about a game we already own. It won't really work that well as an advertising tool. Most people are tuning in to find out information about the state of the game, you can understand why!

We are desperate to have our legitimate concerns addressed and have some info to pass on to the company. Being a community is a two way street and you are the managers in the middle. (poor you) You can see how much it means to people to get some info about what's happening.

There is a formal seperation now so there should be a formal schedule each week too.

CM Team

If it is not part of a CM job description to help or provide clear line of communication to players unable to play the game for weeks just ignore the below request.

Please help to coordinate with anyone to reposition my cmdr location.

Stuck 10 days in the Apex Infinite Loop Bug
For reference
request id #82118

Any update on the current SOP to fix such issue will be greatly appreciated. To consolidate a list of "stuck" cmdr, send to DBA to run a couple queries on a daily ?, weekly ? basis too much to ask ?

I cant login to Horizon (recovery to orbit does not work) but I still can play in CQC. Do I have the mood to play CQC ? no...

alright, thank you. going to play rdr2 now.

May I respectfully suggest to the CM team or whoever handles these things nowadays that if you intend to have a formal seperation of important info and filler info that you begin each week with a schedule of when the important stuff is going to be broadcast please. The filler stuff is to make us feel happy about a game we already own. It won't really work that well as an advertising tool. Most people are tuning in to find out information about the state of the game, you can understand why!

We are desperate to have our legitimate concerns addressed and have some info to pass on to the company. Being a community is a two way street and you are the managers in the middle. (poor you) You can see how much it means to people to get some info about what's happening.

There is a formal seperation now so there should be a formal schedule each week too.

Just saying 'we're still on track for Friday' is probably easier though.

Although fortnightly progress updates straight from the desk of the CEO would be nice :)

Thank you for that small token but only you (Frontier) are creating that distinction, it is not one I share. As you may appreciate there have been many missed deadlines in the past and what are often described as 'broken promises' (not by me). I hope this helps you (Frontier) to understand the reason why 'the community' asks for updated timelines and confirmation that things are still on schedule. Because they are missing from the only schedule provided for the week.

I know what you mean. But cut the man some slack. There's some things you could blame the community management for. (E.g. sometimes several months between them even doing one statement, which can make you wonder, what they are doing at all. ) But the current situation is not on them to blame.

Right now, the community team is merely the ones taking the heat from us. They are not responsible for the mess we all are in, yet they have to stand in front, while those who made the decissions sit in the back. Where we still don't know what's going on there, if they finally, after so many years, decided to actually take responsbilitiy and get things in order. Or if they now, after delivering a product below minimum viability, try to also get away with a minimum-viability plan of how to fix things.

They gave us a date when we'd get the plan: 4th of June. Two days to go. Then we take a look at it and, if it's not really, really great, give them all the heat they deserve for that. But we should really try to direct it to those who are responsible, not the small community manager or even the regular coder, who both are just tin soldiers, doing what they were told, without having any influence on release dates and bugfix cycles.

So, save your ammo for the 4th of July...

I know what you mean. But cut the man some slack. There's some things you could blame the community management for. (E.g. sometimes several months between them even doing one statement, which can make you wonder, what they are doing at all. ) But the current situation is not on them to blame.

Right now, the community team is merely the ones taking the heat from us. They are not responsible for the mess we all are in, yet they have to stand in front, while those who made the decissions sit in the back. Where we still don't know what's going on there, if they finally, after so many years, decided to actually take responsbilitiy and get things in order. Or if they now, after delivering a product below minimum viability, try to also get away with a minimum-viability plan of how to fix things.

They gave us a date when we'd get the plan: 4th of June. Two days to go. Then we take a look at it and, if it's not really, really great, give them all the heat they deserve for that. But we should really try to direct it to those who are responsible, not the small community manager or even the regular coder, who both are just tin soldiers, doing what they were told, without having any influence on release dates and bugfix cycles.

So, save your ammo for the 4th of July...

Hmm. I don't wish to shoot the messenger, so I address the company rather than the individual representing the company in this thread.

But otoh I don't wish to demean Sally's responsibilities by implying their job is merely a messenger & not a fully fledged representative of the company in this context.

I don't claim to speak for others but I certainly don't think Sally is just a messenger and any statement of mine is directed towards the company (or as FDev like to say, 'company policy'), not any particular individual.

Any CM has as part of their job has an obligation to report back to the company how their playerbase is feeling, honestly if you say everything is fine, we'll wait forever it to be fixed and accept whatever lukewarm dish you're served up, that effectively sends the wrong message back to the company. She and all the other CMs are our conduit too. I feel for them but that is their job. And the community as a whole is pretty exasperated right now.

I don't claim to speak for others but I certainly don't think Sally is just a messenger and any statement of mine is directed towards the company (or as FDev like to say, 'company policy'), not any particular individual.

I might sound mean here, but that's basically exactly what a community manager is for most of the time: the interface between those who actually call the shots in the company and the community outside of the company. Almost never does a community manager have any influence on things going on inside the company.

The best they can do is to collect feedback from the community, look out for warning signs and present them to those who make the decissions. And i guess feedback we have given plenty. (If the community in the last weeks were just singing idle songs, or if they did their job, repeatedly reported in on the actual feedback and were ignored, i can't tell. But considering that a number of other aspects also had to be ignored for a failure like we experienced, they sure were not the crucial point of failure. )

Why does it have to be Friday? Why not today? Will 2 days change much to their plans? Why were there no Hotfixes this week? Why are they doing Horizon Stream instead of Odyssey on thursday?
The more days pass the more questions arrises.

Because that was the timeline we were given almost two weeks ago. And while i am grumpy on a lot of things with Odyssey, i do understand that when the biowaste has hit the fan on such a scale, you can't draw up a recovery plan on a lazy afternoon. So these two weeks are reasonable and, if they intend to do even a remotely good job, were still very tight and stressful.

Like many others, i won't be ready to accept any half-arxed attempt to fool us, cover up things and just give us some dooodo to distract us. But i understand that to -finally- deliver at least something of quality, even if it's just the plan on how to fix this mess, they do need some time to create such a plan.

On the lack of hotfixes, that's a whole different topic. And indeed, as i still experience performance and stability issues, i would've very much welcome those.

Last edited:
They won't risk Odyssey game play live on stream because it's a buggy mess and they don't want that bad PR.. I couldn't even log in yesterday, Horizons or Odyssey! My friends on Xbox had to abandon a pre-arranged fight night because it was so bad. We just gotta hunker down till this gets fixed but I'm guessing it's a massively complex problem!

Forgive me, I don't mean to sound mean, but does anyone care about any of this stuff, especially right now?

It's like Frontier is roasting marshmallows on the fire of their burning company...

iu

Top Bottom