ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous Free on the Epic Games Store!

They use AWS. Amazon has the best global web services. MS is faster, but more expensive I think.
If it can't handle, it will scale up until it does. This can take an hour or to for the "push" to their network.

I was able to change the Alt's game email addy during initial login to Frontier Launcher.
Guess we shall have to copy the custom binds file over to the new install now.
Hold your horses - or at least create some backups.
@Arsen Cross in https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/epic-games-accounts-rules-considerations.558787/post-8802252 thinks this shouldn't be necessary (from what I understood).

Self quote... I went through and created 3 epic accounts to test and the quote below was my findings. I'm super happy about the free alts and the undoubtedly and hopefully large quantity of actual new players this promotion will bring. I however can't help but wonder if Frontier is aware that existing PC commanders buying on the Epic store can wind up getting nothing for the $30 charge when the promotion is over?

Hello everyone! I'll try to keep this straight forward, short and sweet. I've done experimenting with the new Epic Games store and will now share with you some rules and tips so you can avoid wasting your time during account setup.

Rules for Elite accounts obtained via Epic Games Store:
  • Linking your copy of Elite purchased/obtained on the Epic Store to an existing PC account will result in your Epic account using the same CMDR from that account. This means that once the copy of Elite on Epic is no longer free, linking to a Frontier account with an established CMDR will waste your money and Epic account.
  • Epic Elite accounts can only be played via the Epic launcher. They are not playable via the Standard or Steam launchers.
  • If you create multiple Epic accounts and obtain a copy of Elite on each one, your Epic Games client must be logged into the purchasing Epic account in order to play the desired copy of the game. You can not simply log in to the alternate Epic account within the epic launcher.
  • When launching Elite from the Epic launcher after account linking has been completed; the launcher will automatically log in to the Frontier/Elite account associated with that epic account.
  • The Epic store version of the Elite launcher does allow you to log into your Standard or Steam purchased accounts after logging out of the auto-logged in Epic account.
  • The Epic install uses the same bindings, settings and control maps as the Standard and Steam installations of the Elite client as they are stored in your windows profile and not the installation folders. No configuration will be required for your alt accounts.

The above "rules" for the Epic store version of Elite were determined after establishing a new alt on my already existing epic account, creating a new epic account linked to a new gmail account for an intentional alt and creating a new epic account linked to the same email as my main account then linking that free copy to my main Frontier account.

Enjoy your free alts everyone!

EDIT @frontier: With how "exclusive" the Epic accounts for Elite are configured; I don't understand why this doesn't work the same as linking a PS4/XBox account to an established PC account. On my PS4 alt, which is linked to the same Frontier account as my main PC account I play a CMDR dedicated to that console. While playing in the same game world as my main PC account is a given; the account linking should work by using a different CMDR than the standard... At least that's the only way I can see avoiding the issue of refunds from accidental links of Epic accounts to established CMDR's when people inevitably use this as a means to procure alts after it is no longer free.

What $30 charge? Shouldn't this free account be free forever, if obtained within the one week time limit?

Those who pick it up for free during this promotional week get it forever for free. After this week though when the promotion is over you will have to pay for it. The Epic store clearly shows the price will be $30 once the promotion is over. I brought this up because in the current condition you can get a free account via the Epic store (which will later require money) but people buying a copy from Epic for an alt after the promotion could find themselves without the second copy at all if they unknowingly link it to their existing account.

In my testing (so I can report on it during the live stream of Elite Week tomorrow) I intentionally linked a newly created epic account to my existing CMDR account (so I wouldn't waste my actual epic account) and confirmed that when you do so, the "purchase" is lost. You get nothing at all and just wind up playing your existing account.

How do I launch Epic Fail version without launching epic fail store? I already registered launched it and all. So how do I get to play it without needing to launch million other launchers just ED like my original ED on steam.

How do I launch Epic Fail version without launching epic fail store? I already registered launched it and all. So how do I get to play it without needing to launch million other launchers just ED like my original ED on steam.

It is not possible, uliando. At all. I tested thoroughly. Your "purchase"/entitlement to the copy of the game obtained via the epic launcher is only usable via the epic launcher. Period.

Most disappointing thing for me is that although I can run two copies of Elite in the same time on the same PC, I can't multicrew. And I was hoping for some cockpit company.

I suspect that because both versions use the same location on system disk to store journal files and commanders status, when I invite my alt, he is immediately unavailable - i think game treats him as if he was in multicrew, because I just entered multicrew mode.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Just to update people.

Support are aware of the issue and yes even though they are UK based they do have people working on it.

However, please remember they are working remotely so it's not as easy as normal circumstances would dictate.

Hopefully you'll be playing the game soon.

o7

Last edited:
We novices and if he stuck on commander registration as me and other novices we can't learn everything for hour, but your examples and very strange, you speak about imagination, but takes from example games only bad and subjective things. If your friend uliando playing long time why he speak badly if is the best space sim?:)
Unite the good things from big and popular games and multiple this, 3D map and gameplay on the Earth from GTA, building from Sims, gameplay from BF, territory from EVE (if eve is big, i don't know), I hope it's really can be like a star citizen from dreams, from dreams, dude. If I understand correctly, dreams have no boundaries, which means that you can imagine the maximum possibilities for "the game = the real world" with a drop of fantasy (spaceships and open sectors and so on). ;) But we really see such a game only in dreams. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
You both joined the forum today. I have 6500 hr's in-game since sept 2014
I trust in Frontiers vision and future for their game. It will take time to add all the things that have been spitballed (idiom look it up) on the forum and elsewhere.
Copying and/or meshing past games is not the answer.
Star Citizen is an cult of pipe dreamers who will never see a complete game because Roberts is an faux accented idiot who can't even manage his sibling. There's no game there, just vignettes you can do LOL

Spaceships are not FANTASY. SciFi, Speculative fiction etc. are completely different and any library who mixes them are ignorant illiterates.
There's no science in Fantasy. His Dark Materials is SF like StarWars and StarTrek and Buck Rogers and Rick and forking Morty
Hobbits are Fantasy Unicorns, Gods, Thor, Trump Etc.
Magic, religion and centaurs is fantasy

Final Fantasy games lol combine magic and SF So does a great book called Witchworld.
Very hard to do as its as complex as it sounds.
Dune is SF because the Bene Gesserit are just skilled not supernatural

Last edited:
Everything works OK for me. I've launched second Commander... Ohhh my! What a weird felling. I'm in Sidewinder at Mawson Dock, and I don't have a name yet :D I think I will try to roleplay an explorer-scientist girl :)

Just managed to pass the tests so cmdr2 is now in possession of a license - great fun with a glass of wine in one hand!
The trickiest bit is choosing a new name as every single name from blakes 7 has been taken, I'm not sure if I'm upset about having to re-select or happy to be playing a game with so many like minded people.

Thankfully, Elric's daughter Oona Von Bek is soon to make an appearance at the Alliance Council representing The Cosmic Balance.
this is what I got from RNG jaysus
Zk6pGlK.jpg

@Hedy she might need an artist like yourself to give a touch or tweak but not bad eh
I think she's an autumn?

EDIT: Mr. smarty pants Gully Foyle has to change the email for one account with Frontier because I've botched it MAUAHAhahhaha

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders!

Elite Dangerous is coming to the Epic Games Store next week! It will be available for free from 19 Nov to 26 Nov. We hope you’ll consider sharing this news with potential future commanders you know so you can blaze your trails together!

Thanks for your support,

o7

Thank you Bruce Garrido for the news and Fdev / Edev to make this happen, I am so happy and satisfied o7

Top Bottom