Release Elite Dangerous HUD Mod (EDHM)

Is it possible to change the color of galactic dust? It seems to be orange by default, I think it'd be nice to change it to blues, purples, greens, etc.

Is it possible to change the color of galactic dust? It seems to be orange by default, I think it'd be nice to change it to blues, purples, greens, etc.

Hi, yeah you mean the galactic core? Sort of like a brownish/orange by default.

It's definitely possible to change the colour but I haven't made that option available for a few reasons

The first one is technical .. there's a general 'galactic dust' shader that creates the visual appearance of the galactic core, but also controls the colour of all the nebulae
So when you make the galactic dust blue for example, it will also switch the colours of the nebulae, often making them look quite ugly and dark

The second reason is that I try to stick with modding things only the pilot would be able to change themselves. EDHM endeavours to stay on the good side of the FDev development team, so I don't change the colour of stations, the mailslot, stars/suns, planets, surfaces, settlements, etc The main exception to this rule is the ability to turn off space dust in normal flight and supercruise, as a huge number of players wanted that option.

I'm sorry to disappoint you as I like to try and fulfil requests, but in this instance I can't add it to the mod. I do recall however, there used to be a way to alter the galactic dust colour via the graphicsconfiguration.xml, so perhaps there's an option in there

Yeah, when you up the 'galactic dust brightness' setting, you get a big orange splotch in your sky from the local galactic dust. I just wish it looked more psychedelic.

Thanks for your response!

Odyssey or Horizons?

This is how my galaxy looks in Horizons using a different mod:
myspace3.jpg

This is not available for Odyssey AFAIK.

Just noticed that links to "The Manual" in the OP appear to be broken.

Hi, thanks for letting me know. It's a good reminder I need to redo the entire OP as a lot has changed over the past year.

The manual linked above is for Horizons only - the Odyssey mod is quite different and can only be efficiently configured using EDHM UI. It's still possible to edit all the .ini files by hand (which I do) but the UI has nice colour pickers, value sliders, and theme management, which makes everything a lot easier.

If you need to contact the UI Dev (Blue Mystic) for help with installation or configuration, he can be reached via the EDHM Discord

Undoubtedly FDev Update 12 will more or less break EDHM .. let's hope it's less, but considering the size of the patch notes I'm feeling a little anxious. But we'll know soon enough!

Hey, I'm sure @GeorjCostanza is aware, but update 12 broke the HUD again .. sigh :/
orange has invaded some HUD again, pips, shields, hull health and few other things.

also not sure if it's related (I highly doubt it's related), but when I go to shipyard > manage my ships, then all my controls stop working :/ I checked my binds and everything is still there, I can navigate other menus just fine. Game doesn't crash, it still works and I can see the ED mouse cursor, but pointing it on ships or the "back" button has no effect, just NOTHING works, not even ESC ... could this be related to EDHM? It started with update 12 (naturally).

Hey, I'm sure @GeorjCostanza is aware, but update 12 broke the HUD again .. sigh :/
orange has invaded some HUD again, pips, shields, hull health and few other things.

also not sure if it's related (I highly doubt it's related), but when I go to shipyard > manage my ships, then all my controls stop working :/ I checked my binds and everything is still there, I can navigate other menus just fine. Game doesn't crash, it still works and I can see the ED mouse cursor, but pointing it on ships or the "back" button has no effect, just NOTHING works, not even ESC ... could this be related to EDHM? It started with update 12 (naturally).
There are people reporting a "soft lock" with manage ships with a fix disabling/enabling a GUI effects in the options a quick hunt through the DEV posts in the update notes thread in news will find the acknowledgement of the issue and the proper option to enable/disable.

I haven't had the problem myself and didn't look to see what my options setting was.
Some of my HUD has changed and some hasn't, colour of the ship hologram has changed while the spirals haven't and nor have the shield rings which I have as a tri-colour capacitor bars are still tri-colour.
The icon that shows what grade a targeted material is now shows in colour (orangey of course) it was the same colour as the text which is still white.
Cockpit lighting seems to have been affected as well.

Hi CMDRs,

Every major update from FDev will break elements of the mod, it's to be expected. It takes many hours to fix everything and I'm short on free time at the moment. I'll try to get the most obvious HUD elements fixed first, and then later I'll fix all the minor elements, such as the panel artwork and miscellaneous icons.

Unfortunately the new cabin lighting shader can't be extracted correctly by the modding software, so it will need to be hand-coded in shader assembly, and that could take a few weeks to get it right (unless we have some shader assembly gurus here?)

I'm hoping the first round of fixes will be ready today or tomorrow, and then I can pass them onto Blue Mystic to insert into the UI. I'll also put the files on the EDHM github. But anyway I'll make a post here when the update is ready

o7

Till then it's more jaffa!
Actually mine works hehehe..only thing that's jaffa is the ship holo and some wording here n there.
Apart from that it's all good.
Oh ambient lighting isn't glowing on disco anymore lol...love that effect specially amid a fire fight

Last edited:
EDHM and EDHM UI have been updated

GeorjCostanza via Discord

As expected, FDev Update 12 broke some elements of the mod. I've fixed the major elements to get you flying again, but there are still some orange icons and panel artwork to repair. These small details tend to take a long time to find, separate, and mod, so I'd prefer to release the fixes in three stages.

Stage 1: Fixes for major HUD elements (ship and foot)

Stage 2: Fixes for remaining orange icons and artwork, station/carrier terminals, and night vision

Stage 3: Fixes for anything I've missed, plus introduction of the new GalMap features

Last edited:
Link to EDHM UI

If you use EDHM UI then it will automatically check for updates It works for EDH and EDO.

If you are a EDH player and still manually edit the files then I would recommend getting the UI its only 100MB but the links in the first post are vaild

Also the link in the first post for the EDO version still work, they take you to github but honestly use the gui its a lot easier :)

Hi everyone,

As CMDR Sleepyman mentioned, the first v12 update is available via EDHM UI or on the EDHM discord. I’m not uploading temporary fixes to the GitHub.

This update takes care of the important HUD elements, and then the next update will restore the panel artwork and remaining orange icons.

There is also a temporary fix available on the Discord for the cabin lighting, which took a real beating by FDev’s new shader

I haven’t included it in the official update as it’s only about 10% complete, but at least it allows you to choose a custom colour for your lighting.

I’m away for about 4 days but will start the next update when I return

o7

For some reason, when I try to update my anti-virus stop the process and forces my windows to restart, anyone has experienced this problem before?

As long as I remember, when I first installed the mod, my anti-virus was already installed, and I had no issue

Hi CMDRs,

EDHM for Odyssey v12.11 is now available. Blue Mystic will be updating the UI to this version soon.

If you've been following along, the new Ambient Cabin Lighting shader released by FDev couldn't be extracted correctly by the modding software (in HLSL), so it had to be modded in Shader ASM. My first attempt (in v12.1) worked fine on NVidia gfx cards, but showed a blazing white light on AMD cards.

So I re-wrote the mod today (v12.11) and now it's working on AMD cards too. AMD cards appear to be a bit fussy with shader code.

However, the new shader required a complete re-structure of the Cabin Lighting mod, and so old themes will need to be updated to the new structure (but wait for Blue Mystic to update the UI to v12.11 of the mod).

The new shader has three separate lighting components:
1. The Primary Cabin Lighting colour. This will usually replace the orange lighting at the front of the cockpit
2. The Secondary Cabin Lighting colour. This will usually replace the white/clear light around the cabin, plus some other coloured lighting as well
3. The Background Ambient Glow. This is a unique colour in each ship and I recommend leaving this setting at Default Elite. We will use this option as a tool for the Cockpit Paint Mod, and I'll explain how to use it when that part of the mod is released. But for now don't touch it - changing the colour will muck around with the pilot's skin colour

The Primary and Secondary colours each have 4 modes:
i. Custom (your own RGB)
ii. Bi-colour, half-split (Primary colour on the left, Secondary colour on the right)
iii. XML (your XML matrix modifies the default lighting colours around the cabin)
iv. Default Elite

I actually like this new shader better than the old one as we have more precise control over the three separate lighting components, and the contamination of the pilot's skin is minimal.

But if you have any questions about how to use the new lighting settings (after Blue Mystic updates the UI) then please ask.

For old school, non-UI masochists, I've put a zip of v12.11 on the Github

I hope you enjoy the update!

The next update will feature GalMap and FSS enhancements

o7

1655539755770.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom