Release Elite Dangerous HUD Mod (EDHM)

You know how you made F1 triggers? Can you make ESC trigger also but before the trigger check a var to see if it's "triggered", if not, trigger, if it's 1, don't trigger? I don't know shaders but hopefully it can.

Ahh yeah I know what you mean. I was reading through Old Duck's Immersion mod thread a few days ago and I think he used that method in the past to disable elements for the FSS and re-enable upon returning to the HUD. But the problem he identified correctly is that the sequence can get out of sync .. so if 3dmigoto didn't register a key press then the mod will only be activated on the menus and not on the HUD, and then I would hear no end of complaints :)

I think that's why Old Duck moved to conditional shading as it's much safer

If everything is worked off of the orange, it's crazy limited. It's like white balancing a jpg that's yellow. Without the raw, it's unpossible.

Hidden deep inside one of the shaders is a square of pristine Elite orange, RGB(255,112,0), the holy grail of orange :)

EDHM-pristine-orange.jpg

I was pretty excited when I found it, and went and created an Excel spreadsheet that created HLSL code (shader code) to convert that orange to the hex colour of choice. But.. I didn't account for the actual shading in-game, and quickly found out each element had it's own set of rules (many follow an exponential scale, some have ceiling values, some have floor values, some are linear, it's all over the place). So in the end I had to hand colour every element by nudging all the colour channels in different directions while dragging the photoshop colour dropper over the game window to see how close it was to the target colour. It took a loooong time :)

But with the colour calibrated shaders the user just has to look up a colour table and enter some values into the shader, and when the GUI is ready it will be a simple matter of entering the RGB or hex into the app. It'll get there, eventually!

the holy grail of orange
The fact that this exists says so much about the wtfness of the UI decisions. A single laziness affected us all. It's so funny I could see your face when you came upon the holy orange and thought, "now if I edit this pristine sample, all will be well...... NOT!" lol. You know that white solar system in your sig gif? Is that white a tune of the orange also? That's just crazy to me. It's like they know it's rekt but they insisted and brute force the white in the end. Reminds me so much of my corporate life way back.

You know that white solar system in your sig gif? Is that white a tune of the orange also?

Actually I haven't modded the target hologram so I'm not sure. The only thing I do with that is change the orange targets to yellow (add green when orange). The thing is, the standard blue shield isn't based on an orange undercoat, so there must be the capacity to code the elements with different colours. You should get into modding as well, sounds like you'd enjoy it! Perhaps send me a PM if you'd like to

@nepomuk

Hi CMDR, check out the post above, [EDHM-UI development], it has all the info you're asking about

But for a TL;DR, I'm currently standardising all the colour channels across shaders (as it varies for every element due to the shade of the base orange), and putting together a colour calibration chart. So you'll be able to look up a colour and type the RGB values into the correct spot on the shader.

Blue Mystical is currently working on a GUI for that process but it will take some time. I can't code myself so if any software devs want to help with the GUI then we'd be very grateful. For example, linking a pic of the HUD to the user's colour choices so they can experiment in the GUI.

But keep an eye on this post and I'll certainly let you know when you can choose your own colours

Great work there buddy, this does look awesome, but can I suggest you tie in with Dr.Kaii as he already has the ED-Profiler, which incorporates a gui for adjusting the XML hud colours:
Hi,

I've made a new display switcher (many other functions). It's does a lot more, see below.

We are now in build 3.3

Download here: http://www.drkaii.com/tools/edprofiler/

UPDATE! Tone Maps broken by Frontier (not on purpose). Sorry! Hopefully will come back. Can bring it to their attention if you want perhaps, by politely emailing community@frontier.co.uk and letting them know we miss it :)

Also I've updated the Chat Logs browser to include the new chat types and have added filtering for said chat types. Plus I've fixed some bugs that made that and CMDR Logs stop working <3

Previous update:

CMDR Logs is a new tool that captures what you write in local chat as a sort of in-game note taking device. It lets you make logs from WITHIN THE GAME, and then formats them beautifully, with lots of wonderful ways to tweak it. Even captures screenshots, and can therefore be used as a bookmarking tool for recording interesting sights!

hCGT1SM.png
<font size="4"><font size="3"><strong>[video=youtube;lmJF-Ua9coE]
]Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmJF-Ua9coE[/video]

Tool always kept up to date. Most recent update:

3.2.0.6 is a quick update that does a couple of things:

Extra Settings
A new setting has been added, submitted by forum user Overspark: GalaxyBackground QualitySetting under <Environment>!

CMDR Logs
1. Added a new context menu option: you can now copy the name of the system to clipboard

2. The merging was broken because rightclicking would deselect your other logs, fixed

3. Pop out and open .txt file will now open all selected if you have more than one selected

4. When "screenshot" is ticked, and you click on the link of a screenshot, it will actually also copy that screenshot to clipboard, so you can paste it online/in a messenger etc.

5. Added the first (and still ONLY) ever submitted Tone Map! Jay Le Chardon v1

---

Big recent changes in the previous update 2.4, to be worked on further:

2.4 introduces a brand new feature - ED Chat Logs Browser! It's a separate program I made a while back that didn't get much attention. I use it quite often to recall a chat or check if I missed anything so I thought I'd just include it in EDP for anyone else who would like that functionality. It's currently in beta and no guarantee I will fix the minor bugs, but please let me know about any major ones.

If I feel there is a lot of positive interest in the tool, I will really tidy it up, but for now it's very functional.

I've also finally got round to including the Volumetric Clouds Quality setting.

Due to space concerns I've decided to go wide, rather than any longer (people on laptops were already struggling to fit it on screen) and thus have changed the layout.

I've also fixed a couple of small issues, including the fact that messing with custom files didn't activate the Save button.

I've included some more GUI profiles, namely 4 that were designed by forum user edgepixel that maintain the security colours (enemies red etc.). I've also changed it so that the ""included"" GUI profiles don't automatically return every time there is an update, so if you delete some, they are gone for good! If you ever want the ""included"" ones, there is now a button to import them.

Lastly, I've added copy and paste functionality for the GUI colours, so you can copy out the values with <MatrixRed></MatrixRed> etc. tags included, or paste into EDProfiler the values that you've copied with the tags (such as if you copy from a forum thread or from the .cfg files)

As for the HUD editor, forum user edgepixel has brought to my attention that for some matrix values, the station menu colours don't match what our third party HUD editors are displaying, so I will be looking to solve that problem and perhaps further optimise the HUD editor, so stay tuned for that.

Fly dangerous CMDRS!

Dr. Kaii

So it might be easier to adapt his HUD colour studio to suit this mod than it would be to start a new gui from scratch?

You should get into modding as well, sounds like you'd enjoy it! Perhaps send me a PM if you'd like to
No thank you, I went down that hole in farming simulator 17 and I didn't leave the house for 2 weeks. I will happily be a user and let you guys eye drop and refresh, check, eye drop again, and hey! oh there's a website full of sliders for designers? Cool! Nah bro. I am already doing my VA profiles lol. GLHF. o7

Great work there buddy, this does look awesome, but can I suggest you tie in with Dr.Kaii as he already has the ED-Profiler, which incorporates a gui for adjusting the XML hud colours:

Hi CMDR, thanks for the suggestion! I’m not doing the app myself, and the software dev working on it (Blue Mystical) has already finished the first stage. I think he should be fine with his framework, but I do appreciate the suggestion

o7

He even reinstalled the whole game and the "symptoms" are the same: some part of the 'graphics' keep blinking/swapping colors

I haven’t seen that before! But I’d say it’s a conflict with 3dmigoto and some other software. Perhaps could you please ask your friend to PM me here, or discord (psychicEgg#9971) or reddit (psychicEgg) and we can sort it out

This looks great and i have downloaded the file. BUT i can not find the "elite-dangerous-64" directory anywere, i have done search for the directory, the search will only pull up the elite launch directory. I have also tried to search for just key words within the directory like Product, and still nothing.
The game is installed in the original directory that elite picks "C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\EDLaunch.exe" but i cannot locate directory C:\..\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64
If anyone could help me that would be great, Thankyou Cmdr's o7

This looks great and i have downloaded the file. BUT i can not find the "elite-dangerous-64" directory anywere, i have done search for the directory, the search will only pull up the elite launch directory. I have also tried to search for just key words within the directory like Product, and still nothing.
The game is installed in the original directory that elite picks "C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\EDLaunch.exe" but i cannot locate directory C:\..\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64
If anyone could help me that would be great, Thankyou Cmdr's o7
Ok managed too find it, it was in a hiden folder in APPDATA thanks, all working fine now.

Your mod is amazing!!!

But ahhhh unfortunately i have confirmed that this does not work with EDFX. Do we have any ideas on what could be a potential fix for these two to work together? I love this mod but i also love EDFX :LOL: so for me its either one or the other. Unless there is some little fix that im missing

thanks

But ahhhh unfortunately i have confirmed that this does not work with EDFX. Do we have any ideas on what could be a potential fix for these two to work together? I love this mod but i also love EDFX :LOL: so for me its either one or the other. Unless there is some little fix that im missing

Ahh damn, I was wondering about EDFX. I know some folks who are running Reshade without issues and I was hoping EDFX would be fine as well. Thanks for letting me know.

Since they both modify shaders I expected there to be a conflict. When we've finished the GUI app, I'll have a closer look at EDFX and see if it's possible to get them to work together

Ahh damn, I was wondering about EDFX. I know some folks who are running Reshade without issues and I was hoping EDFX would be fine as well. Thanks for letting me know.

Since they both modify shaders I expected there to be a conflict. When we've finished the GUI app, I'll have a closer look at EDFX and see if it's possible to get them to work together

Sounds good! I may even switch over to a reshade tbh so i can use this mod. What are the more popular reshades that people are using with this game ?

Sounds good! I may even switch over to a reshade tbh so i can use this mod. What are the more popular reshades that people are using with this game ?

About the topic "shader" you should have a look into this thread.

Hey CMDRs,

I managed to intercept a transmission from the Pilot's Federation with an update to their Radar display on the HUD.

Source: https://youtu.be/cOhP-mPvhfE

Download link

Even better, we have the raw code so we can alter the colours and different aspects of the radar according to our preferences.

This package contains:

- Two shader files (the radar in normal flight, and the radar in supercruise).
Backup your shader files in the ShaderFixes folder, then copy the two new radar shaders into the ShaderFixes folder.
i. ba58bc885c2dac25-ps.txt
ii. f27049cc4a93e1f2-ps.txt

- A calibration table (very approximate) for choosing your colours. Open in Excel or Google Sheets.

- A Template that indexes the locations in the shader files to make your changes.

In the future we will have an EDHM UI app that will allow you to make these changes by clicking on a colour wheel and pressing 'save',
but for now you'll need to make these changes manually.

Making changes is best used in combination with the special reload function (so you don't have to exit Elite to see your changes),
please see the GitHib for the code (in the Shaders (ASM) folder):

o7

Last edited:
each element had it's own set of rules (many follow an exponential scale, some have ceiling values, some have floor values, some are linear, it's all over the place).
That's some serious rinky dink coding practices there on Frontier's part. As a non-coder myself I generally avoid such sorts of comments but, seriously, HUD design for colorblind folks isn't exactly a new concept and there's no real excuse for this in a relatively modern application. Hopefully they get their stuff together with Odyssey. In the meantime, as I expressed on the Reddit post, thanks much for this. It's made my Elite time much more tolerable.

That's some serious rinky dink coding practices there on Frontier's part.

Haha rinky dink, I like that :) To be fair to FDev, I don't think they actually code the shaders in the same way we mod them. It's likely they use software similar to Unity, and that software would probably assemble the shader code for them. Well, I assume that's the case, who knows really!

HUD design for colorblind folks isn't exactly a new concept and there's no real excuse for this in a relatively modern application.

When the complete set of shaders is ready for customisation, would you like to be the lead dev for modding the colours to be suitable for CMDRs with colour blindness?

I understand there's a few different types of colour blindness, and you could get a complete set ready for each type. Shouldn't take too long, and we could start a colour blindness channel on the EDHM discord if that helps?

Top Bottom