Elite Dangerous Issue Report - 16/11/2021

Sally further to the hardpoints not firing..

Some people were reporting earlier on that ship kits were blocking both lights and the firing of some guns, specifically on the Anaconda. Apologies if this has been fixed already..I don't have the time to check but it may be related.

All the best with today.
That would make sense since the ship kit bits have hitboxes (rather than in Horizons where they have none).

Are you certain the ship kits have hitboxes? If so that is a game changer. Who would want to increase the ship hitbox?
If memory serves (as I think it was me who brought it up) the problem with ship kits on the ground is that you could walk through, or be shot through, a Horizons era shipkit.

I think kit parts are now solid IIRC and this might be causing an issue, but if the problems are new (i.e. seen in later EDO updates past 1 or 2) then it might not be kit parts but something else (like a dodgy charge property in the code).

If memory serves (as I think it was me who brought it up) the problem with ship kits on the ground is that you could walk through, or be shot through, a Horizons era shipkit.

I think kit parts are now solid IIRC and this might be causing an issue, but if the problems are new (i.e. seen in later EDO updates past 1 or 2) then it might not be kit parts but something else (like a dodgy charge property in the code).

Yep, they are solid now, which can be an advantage on the ground, providing cover.
My cutter with ship kit gets attacked by settlement defenses whilst landed, because it reaches an area that it shouldn't (I can't remember the english word right now, sorry).

Deleted member 182079

D

Can 100% confirm this is a thing... Cobra 3 Raider kit prevents me from firing the left small hardpoint because a specific kit part is located right in the firing path of whatever weapon you fit there (in my case it was an Abrasion blaster). Took me a while to figure it out (a few minutes) why it wouldn't shoot despite being powered, distro charged, and weapon assigned to a firegroup. The other 3 hardpoints are not obstructed and as such fire just fine.

I guess that's what happens when you cut corners during the initial design ("why bother with sensible placements when there's no hitbox") and then shoot from the hip changing stuff later on without thinking through the implications ("let's enable hitboxes for shipkits because it's silly to walk right through them when on-foot, I'm sure it'll be fine").

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️
🤷‍♂️
🤷‍♂️

Can 100% confirm this is a thing... Cobra 3 Raider kit prevents me from firing the left small hardpoint because a specific kit part is located right in the firing path of whatever weapon you fit there (in my case it was an Abrasion blaster). Took me a while to figure it out (a few minutes) why it wouldn't shoot despite being powered, distro charged, and weapon assigned to a firegroup.

I guess that's what happens when you cut corners during the initial design ("why bother with sensible placements when there's no hitbox") and then shoot from the hip changing stuff ("let's enable hitboxes for shipkits because it's silly to walk right through them when on-foot, I'm sure it'll be fine").

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️
🤷‍♂️
🤷‍♂️
Constructive criticisms is always better received. From what I heard, ship kit where initially designed to be without hitbox so they would not provide any disadvantages in combat, not because it was cutting corner.

Constructive criticisms is always better received. From what I heard, ship kit where initially designed to be without hitbox so they would not provide any disadvantages in combat, not because it was cutting corner.

They could simply remove the hit-boxes again and sugar coat the ship kits as holographic projections (this might still not interfere with the fact that ship kits do cast shadows)

Edit: it still shows lack of foresight

Deleted member 182079

D
The simple solution here would be to remove the hitbox for weapons but not for walking around and on your ship. As the latter would be the only reason why you'd want them to be have a hitbox at all. For a studio that came up with the Stellar Forge I can't imagine this would pose such a challenge - and I don't think it is, attention to detail or rather lack of it is the real problem though, and this shows in a lot of areas in the game.

The simple solution here would be to remove the hitbox for weapons but not for walking around and on your ship. As the latter would be the only reason why you'd want them to be have a hitbox at all. For a studio that came up with the Stellar Forge I can't imagine this would pose such a challenge - and I don't think it is, attention to detail or rather lack of it is the real problem though, and this shows in a lot of areas in the game.
Very valid points. There is so much details in that simishh game indeed and always room for improvements. : )

o7

When it comes down to going through each kit on each ship to check which bits need fixing, or the quick and dirty fix of making them all non-physical again, which do you expect them to go for?

as i said, i would not mind to have them back as "holographic projections"
makes a nice pair for allowing to paint the ship in the hangar view - even out in the dark

Deleted member 182079

D
Very valid points. There is so much details in that simishh game indeed and always room for improvements. : )

o7
What the game simulates rather well in my view is the galaxy - everything else though... oh boy. I think the addition of legs only highlighted issues in this regard further as we're able to get more up close now; Cutter stairs as a good example, or indeed a lack of boarding sequence in line with the SRV/SLF ones, instead we get an ugly blue circle, something I thought was a placeholder at first during the Alpha, but it looks like I was wrong.
When it comes down to going through each kit on each ship to check which bits need fixing, or the quick and dirty fix of making them all non-physical again, which do you expect them to go for?
I expect them to spend this time instead of creating new suit packs because who cares about ship kits these days. CMDR cosmetics is where it's at now - why do you think those emotes were added recently.

The fact that a big chunk of ship skins still look nowhere near what they're supposed to (check out the Squadron ones for just one example), half a year after launch, and are still being sold in their store should tell you all you need to know where their priorities lie. May as well call them "legacy" cosmetics now. They'll only touch them if enough people shout about it, and will not if they can get away with it. Sad but unfortunately true based on my observations over the past 6 months.

Just to put things in perspective though - I'm trying to install The Other Space Game at the moment (just to shut a friend up who insists I at least look at it during the current event). The installer has crashed five times so far and I'm still 50Gb from finished. ED is looking good right now.

Just to put things in perspective though - I'm trying to install The Other Space Game at the moment (just to shut a friend up who insists I at least look at it during the current event). The installer has crashed five times so far and I'm still 50Gb from finished. ED is looking good right now.
Is that "other" game being sold as finished product?

It would be a shame if they did.

But saying that ED ships all have clipping / size issues. I wince when the FDL large hardpoint is changed because the two shell doors clip the floor. Its also debatable the x4 M have clip issues because the weapon sits in a very longitudinally shallow recess with greebles sat in front. Or the Cutters stairs.

They did (although I never got round to checking) sorted out the Asp Scouts ventral S bay doors retracting outside the hull though.

For me all of these things should have been sorted in the 2 years of dev, since the outside of ships became much more viewable and also important.

Deleted member 182079

D
Will it ever be?
Probably not. Which is why I will probably never try it out because I will only do so once the final version is released. But then I'm also not going to compare it with EDO because that went through and has since left its Alpha phase and is sold and advertised at full RRP and as a supposedly feature complete and working product.

If I'd want to compare Elite with another game, it'd be X4 or NMS, or Everspace - and even those are so fundamentally different it's not really fair to either side. Elite is very unique, which for me is the main reason I'm still sticking with it despite its many flaws.

If a competitor would show up that would offer a similar sandbox and flight model but better production values and game design, if I'm honest I'd likely drop Elite like a hot potato. But since that seems quite unlikely for quite some time (if not ever), I guess I won't for as long as Elite still gives me some joy. Frontier should and probably do consider themselves lucky they still have the de-facto monopoly here, I guess it'll be interesting to see how long can they keep riding the ED gravy train.

I don't buy a lot of new games these days, but my most recent purchase has been Forza Horizon 5 (early access full blown version for 99 Euros) - I have to say it's been quite refreshing to observe a game delivering consistent performance and quality eye-candy and a distinct lack of bugs from day one (in my experience at least, online is a bit flaky but 10 million players take its toll I guess). The game wasn't cheap, but I don't mind paying for a quality product. Going back to EDO after playing such a slick (and brand-new) game makes it all the more difficult to ignore and still enjoy it though.

Top Bottom