Release Elite Dangerous Market Connector (EDMC)

Elite Dangerous Market Connector ("EDMC") is a third-party application for use with Elite Dangerous. Its purpose is to facilitate supplying certain game data to, and in some cases retrieving it from, a number of websites and other tools.

To do this it utilizes the Journal Files written by the game when played on a PC. It also makes use of Frontier's Companion API ("Frontier's CAPI"), accessible once you've authorized this application.

It does not work with Console game accounts, and is no longer supported on Windows 7.

See the link above for more information about what it can do for you.

EDMC now has a new maintainer team! A huge thank you to @Athan for his service to the tool.

@Rixxan and @C1701D have taken over as maintainers. See Athan's old EDMC thread HERE

Release 5.10.1

Pre-emptive upload to VirusTotal.

This release contains a number of bugfixes, minor performance enhancements, workflow and dependency updates, and a function deprecation.

What's Changed​

• Deprecated openurl(). Please migrate to webbrowser.open()
  • Updated a number of list comparisons to use more efficient tuple comparisons
  • Updated a few type hints
  • Updated a few binary comparitors to be more efficient
  • Moved resources.json and modules.json back to the top level for all users
  • Updated several dependencies
  • Updated Python version to 3.11.7

Bug Fixes​

• Fixed an issue where resources files could be in different locations for different users.
    • These files are now in the same location (top level) for all users on all distributions.
  • Fixed an issue where CMDRs without the Git application installed would crash on start if running from Source.
    • Thanks to the Flatpak team for pointing this one out!
  • Fixed a bug where CMDRs running from source would have their git hash version displayed as UNKNOWN.
    • We're now more failure tolerant and use the bundled .gitversion if no true git hash is provided.
  • Fixed a bug where starting two copies of EDMC with a valid install would not generate a duplicate warning.

Plugin Developers​

• modules.p and ships.p have been deprecated, and will be removed in 6.0. If you are using these files, please update to use the new modules.json and ships.json files instead.
  • A new method of standardizing the paddings used in settings panels has been applied to the core settings panels. We strongly encourage you to follow these style hints! A proper guide will be added to the wiki.
  • The openurl() function in ttkHyperlinkLabel has been deprecated, and slated for removal in the next major release! Please migrate to webbrowser.open().

Release 5.10.0

This release contains several under-the-hood changes to EDMC designed to improve performance, code maintainability, and stability of the EDMC application while providing new features and quality-of-life fixes.

Thank you to all the Beta and RC testers who helped smooth out some last-minute issues, and a huge thanks to the internal EDMC Alpha Testing Group!

This is identical to 5.10.0-RC1 except for re-adding Unix shebangs, updated translation files, and a few corrected documentation notes.

What's Changed​

• Added new modules.json and ships.json files to improve security and readability
  • Added a core Spansh URL provider plugin
  • Added a new auth response page for successful FDEV authentication
  • Added a new Open Log Folder option to the Help menu
  • Added a new --start_min command flag to force the application to start minimized
  • Added a new pop-up if plugins fail to load or are not supported
  • Added a new pop-up to warn about plugins that are detected, but not loading properly
  • Added a new section in the Settings menu for plugins that are detected, but not loading properly.
  • Added a check to ensure that FDEV ID Files are present on application startup
  • Added a check for required submodule files on application build
  • Added a check for the Coriolis submodule files before building updated Coriolis files.
  • Updated a number of translation files
  • Updated commodities and module files to the latest versions
  • Updated core EDMC and core Plugin menus to a standardized layout
  • Updates the Inara URL formats to the new endpoints
  • Migrated WinSparkle Registry setting duties to the Installer

Bug Fixes​

• Fixed an issue where indentation of text strings in certain settings windows under various languages would be unevenly indented
  • Fixed an issue where the Plugins Folder label in the Plugins settings window would cut off the selection box for the plugin storage location
  • Fixed a rare bug which could occur if a webbrowser did not parse spaces in URLs correctly.

Code Cleanup​

• Added future annotation imports to help with code compatibility
  • Added a few conditional checks on input processing
  • Simplified some RegEx expressions, complex functions, logic flows, and Import statements
  • Simplified the WinSparkle GitHub Build Action
  • Began to change single-character variables to more descriptive names
  • Moved a number of global variables into their requisite classes
  • Updated a number of dependencies to the latest versions
  • Updated GitHub Actions to the latest versions
  • Updated a number of resource-allocating functions to use more efficient closing logic
  • Updated some calls to arrays to be more efficient
  • Removed a number of old-style typing hints in favor of PEP 585 style hints
  • Removed a number of redundant if - return - else or raise - else statements for code readability
  • Removed some default parameter assignments
  • Removed some obsolete calls to Object

Plugin Developers​

• modules.p and ships.p have been deprecated, and will be removed in 6.0. If you are using these files, please update to use the new modules.json and ships.json files instead.
  • A new method of standardizing the paddings used in settings panels has been applied to the core settings panels. We strongly encourage you to follow these style hints! A proper guide will be added to the wiki.

Release 5.9.5

This release fixes an uncommon problem with the uninstaller logic if upgrading from a version prior to 5.9.0 to improve consistency across versions.

Note to plugin developers: modules.p and ships.p will be deprecated in the next version, and slated for removal in the next major release! Please look for that change coming soon.

What's Changed​

• Updates Module pickle files to the latest values.
  • Fixes a problem with the uninstaller logic caused by prior versions having fluctuating GUIDs.

Release 5.9.4

This release fixes a widely-reported bug that resulted in the cAPI Authentication flow being disrupted for a subset of users. Thank you to all the CMDRs who reported this to us and provided logs to us so that we could get the issue isolated.

What's Changed​

• Fixes a missing registry issue that could cause the EDMC:// protocol to fail. (#2061, #2059, #2058, #2057)
  • Renames the default start menu shortcut to be more clear. (#2062)

Known Issues​

• The popup on the EDMC Authentication Box is not translated yet. Ich spreche kein Deutsch.
  • The cAPI is giving an Error: 500 on the /shipyard endpoint on carriers. We think this is an FDEV issue.

Release 5.9.3

This release is identical to 5.9.2, except reverts a bad change.

What's Changed​

• REVERTS Deprecated load_module() is now retired (#1462)

Release 5.9.2

This release fixes a critical issue on clean installs which would not update the Windows registry to allow for protocol handling.
All users are strongly encouraged to update.

What's Changed​

• Fixes a critical bug with the installer on new installs not creating registry keys (#2046)
  • Re-enables automatic submodule updates (#1443)
  • Help -> About Version String can now be copied to clipboard (#1936)
  • EDSM Task Manager Printout now is less useless (#2045)
  • Deprecated load_module() is now retired (#1462)
  • API Keys are masked in Settings (#2047)
  • Installer will now refuse to install on Win7 and Earlier (#1122)

Release 5.9.1

This release updates the build system in use for EDMC to a more feature-rich installer and updates the commodity information to be up-to-date for Update 16.

NOTE: This version hands over the installer to an EXE file for Windows instead of an MSI. This does not change any functionality or plugin capability of EDMC. You may need to manually close EDMC during the update process if updating from version 5.9.0 or earlier.

What's Changed​

• Removed the old WiX Build System
  • Handed over the Build system to Inno Setup
  • Broke apart the Build and Installer scripts for ease of development
  • Updated FDevIDs to latest version
  • Updated coriolis-data to latest version
  • Updated some internal documentation.

Release 5.9.0

This release contains the removal of the EDDB module, as well as a few under-the-hood updates.

What's Changed​

• Removes the EDDB plugin due to EDDB shutting down.
  • Unsets EDDB as the default handler for specific URL preferences.
  • Updates the FDevIDs to the latest versions.
  • Removes EDDB references from help string documentation.
  • Updated a number of dependencies to their latest working versions

See prior change logs HERE

Last edited:
[alex@mymsi 00:59:25 EDMarketConnector]$ git fetch
[alex@mymsi 01:01:19 EDMarketConnector]$ git branch
* main
release-5.4.1
[alex@mymsi 01:01:26 EDMarketConnector]$ git pull
Already up to date.

1690408822764.png

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Elite Dangerous Market Connector ("EDMC") is a third-party application for use with Elite Dangerous. Its purpose is to facilitate supplying certain game data to, and in some cases retrieving it from, a number of websites and other tools.

To do this it utilizes the Journal Files written by the game when played on a PC. It also makes use of Frontier's Companion API ("Frontier's CAPI"), accessible once you've authorized this application.

It does not work with Console game accounts, and is no longer supported on Windows 7.

See the link above for more information about what it can do for you.

EDMC now has a new maintainer team! A huge thank you to @Athan for his service to the tool.

@Rixxan and @C1701D have taken over as maintainers. See Athan's old EDMC thread HERE

Release 5.9.0

This release contains the removal of the EDDB module, as well as a few under-the-hood updates.

What's Changed​

• Removes the EDDB plugin due to EDDB shutting down.
  • Unsets EDDB as the default handler for specific URL preferences.
  • Updates the FDevIDs to the latest versions.
  • Removes EDDB references from help string documentation.
  • Updated a number of dependencies to their latest working versions

See prior change logs HERE
Thank you!

Release 5.9.1

This release updates the build system in use for EDMC to a more feature-rich installer and updates the commodity information to be up-to-date for Update 16.

NOTE: This version hands over the installer to an EXE file for Windows instead of an MSI. This does not change any functionality or plugin capability of EDMC. You may need to manually close EDMC during the update process if updating from version 5.9.0 or earlier.

What's Changed​

• Removed the old WiX Build System
  • Handed over the Build system to Inno Setup
  • Broke apart the Build and Installer scripts for ease of development
  • Updated FDevIDs to latest version
  • Updated coriolis-data to latest version
  • Updated some internal documentation.

Last edited:

Release 5.9.2

This release fixes a critical issue on clean installs which would not update the Windows registry to allow for protocol handling.
All users are strongly encouraged to update.

What's Changed​

• Fixes a critical bug with the installer on new installs not creating registry keys (#2046)
  • Re-enables automatic submodule updates (#1443)
  • Help -> About Version String can now be copied to clipboard (#1936)
  • EDSM Task Manager Printout now is less useless (#2045)
  • Deprecated load_module() is now retired (#1462)
  • API Keys are masked in Settings (#2047)
  • Installer will now refuse to install on Win7 and Earlier (#1122)

Um - just logged into game and luanched EDMC - got prompted to update - and now my two plugins have stopped working? Anyone else seeing this. Both Hutton and Canonn plugins no longer work. If I look in the plugins folder it shows empty, but if you hit "open" and get the file explorer window both the HuttonHelper and the EDMC-Canonn-7.3.1 folders (and contents) are there. This was working prior to tonight. Is there something else you need to do now for plugins?

Thanks

Um - just logged into game and luanched EDMC - got prompted to update - and now my two plugins have stopped working? Anyone else seeing this. Both Hutton and Canonn plugins no longer work. If I look in the plugins folder it shows empty, but if you hit "open" and get the file explorer window both the HuttonHelper and the EDMC-Canonn-7.3.1 folders (and contents) are there. This was working prior to tonight. Is there something else you need to do now for plugins?

Thanks
Hmm. That's weird. I'm able to replicate it and will look into this. None of our changes should have been breaking, but I can't rule it out for sure. Until then you can revert to 5.9.0 for those plugins. I'll try and have a patch out by as soon as possible.

E: Update, it was our code. Time to figure out what I did wrong. Sorry... Look for 5.9.3 tonight.

Last edited:
Just some quick feedback. I started up my laptop and EDMC said there was an update. As part of the process it said it needed to uninstall the existing EDMC. Afterwards, all my plugins have disappeared - the plugins folder is empty. Also, the input field where you enter the plugins folder name is mis-placed - the left portion of it is hidden behind the "Plugins folder:" UI label.

I am fortunate in that I have a second laptop with Elite and EDMC, so I can restore my plugins from there. Seems my settings are otherwise ok.

Edit: Updated the second laptop and everything was good - the plugins remained.

Last edited:
I am having trouble since the last update. EDMC continually opens Frontier Authentication tabs on my browser. When I click the 'approve' button, nothing happens. If I try to close EDMC it reopens itself and opens another Frontier Auth tab. I have tried deauthorising EDMC in my account but this only results in an "unknown error" page when attempting to log in, and the issue persists. I have tried uninstalling and re-installed using the newest version. Any ideas?

Just some quick feedback. I started up my laptop and EDMC said there was an update. As part of the process it said it needed to uninstall the existing EDMC. Afterwards, all my plugins have disappeared - the plugins folder is empty. Also, the input field where you enter the plugins folder name is mis-placed - the left portion of it is hidden behind the "Plugins folder:" UI label.

I am fortunate in that I have a second laptop with Elite and EDMC, so I can restore my plugins from there. Seems my settings are otherwise ok.

Edit: Updated the second laptop and everything was good - the plugins remained.
That's weird behavior. I'll look into it and see if I can replicate!

I am having trouble since the last update. EDMC continually opens Frontier Authentication tabs on my browser. When I click the 'approve' button, nothing happens. If I try to close EDMC it reopens itself and opens another Frontier Auth tab. I have tried deauthorising EDMC in my account but this only results in an "unknown error" page when attempting to log in, and the issue persists. I have tried uninstalling and re-installed using the newest version. Any ideas?
Hey there! Try some of the steps listed here:

I have seen lots of people have success with the EDMarketConnector - localserver-auth.bat option.

If none of those work let me know!

I have seen lots of people have success with the EDMarketConnector - localserver-auth.bat option.

The .bat file worked, thanks! I don't think I've used a .bat file since about 1994 😅

Same here, over and over again, it goes into an authorisation loop. The EDMC panel shows "Logging in..." below the Update button. It has opened the Frontier Authentication login tab in my browser, I log in there, get this over and over again an the mouse cursor keeps flashing into a spinning blue circle.

Untitled 1.jpg

No idea what a .bat file is and nothing to say what it is on that web page. How do you use it?

Top Bottom