ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So you enjoy tens of minutes staring into the black NOTHING during supercruise in ED, but go mad about watching 1 minute at diverse and beauty landscapes in other game? Sounds like ELITE FANBOYISM INTENSFYING :D

He didn’t say that he enjoys the long supercruise travel…

In Elite, I don’t enjoy having to supercruise to stations far far away. I always avoid it: I prefer doing one or two more jumps than waiting 10 minutes in the black. That said, I don’t want either to travel on foot 1-5 minutes every time I wake up on a planet, like in SC.

I bought Star Citizen 2 years ago, and the “diverse landscapes” are something I enjoyed watching the first, second, and maybe the third time I walked around… until I didn’t care anymore. I have my character in Port Olisar because it’s the quickest place to claim my ship. And because I’m tired about the elevator minigame of the other stations.

So yes, I hope Odyssey won’t end like Star Citizen.

It's your mistake for thinking there is some sort of contract for keeping VR in all future DLC. VR is niche. Expect all software developers to carefully weigh the costs vs. the benefits.

Why isn't Odyssey a PS5 exclusive? Because PC gaming is not a niche. Why doesn't it have VR? Because VR is niche.
And we are pushing the limits and making new tech grow. LCD screens used to be a niche, SSD's used to be niche. I hope you are living in a cave playing on a pentium 90 and CRT. Hang on, P90, that used to be niche. Stamping on whatever you decide is niche makes you look a bit old.

Rest in Peace Elite: Dangerous. You had a great run.
Enough already - so tired of the salty "so called" players whining and crying all the time about how the game isn't good enough no matter what new content is released. Experience the DLC yourself first hand when it comes out, then you can have an informed opinion about it, like it or not. In the meantime, put your salt back in the shaker and quit being so entitled. So pathetic.

Last edited:
Unlike the ARX store protest, we are being baited, mocked and attacked, and retaliating.
Actually a metric ton of people were mocking and baiting people that were complaining about that.

That always happens around here when a lot of people complain about something.

Not scrapping it but read the first post. It will have "coveted engineering" which basically means "do FPS or fall behind and be inferior to everyone in open". It was the same for Horizons, you couldn't compete without engineering.
True, but it doesn't say what you'll be engineering.

If you get to overcharge your crocodile clip or make your boots sturdy or something then that wouldn't boost your power in a spaceship, and there'll presumably be plenty of that sort of upgrade to do for people who do like the FPS side.

I'm really hoping they're going for that rather than "there's now G6 and G7 blueprints available, materials only available from Odyssey activities"

There is a difference between understanding that someone enjoys and prefers using VR and understanding that they would not play without VR.

I can assure you that after six years of raging manchilds burning the forums down FD expects nothing other than a new horde of angry people saying they will never ever play the game unless [insert condition] after every announcement they make.

I play in VR, I am bummed it wont support VR. I said earlier Next Era not having VR was my main concern at the time. Others did likewise. Plenty said that VR is the only reason they play. FD knows that and decided to go with whatever they are going with. C'est la vie. Pretending that FD made a mistake and will change hearts if only we scream loud enough so they become aware of us is a bit naive. But we all cope differently I guess.

Sure, but as a game company, how does this potential shortfall (possibly only temporary if they add it post-launch) stack up against the potential attraction of new customers? It's really not hard to imagine FDev having some of their focus on potentially appealing to an entirely new player type (FPS) given how incredibly large that market is, with adding VR in the future.

Depending on how Legs are integrated into the existing game (ie can I have two other Cmdrs in my Krait and fly down to a planet for FPS based missions?) I can think of a dozen people who I will be able to recommend the game to just so they can multicrew up as shock troops and. None of them are particularly interested in the game as is, but buy & play pretty much every FPS game that comes out.
Lucidity here.

The profitability can indeed explain this order of things.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Enough already - so tired of the salty "so called" players whining and crying all the time about how the game isn't good enough no matter what new content is released. Experience the DLC yourself first hand when it comes out, then you can have an informed opinion about it, like it or not. In the meantime, put your salt back in the shaker and quit being so entitled. So pathetic.

So what you are saying is you are salty about people having opinions and you feel entitled to everyone agreeing with you.

if you don't like it don't read it.

I can assure you that after six years of raging manchilds burning the forums down FD expects nothing other than a new horde of angry people saying they will never ever play the game unless [insert condition] after every announcement they make.

I play in VR, I am bummed it wont support VR. I said earlier Next Era not having VR was my main concern at the time. Others did likewise. Plenty said that VR is the only reason they play. FD knows that and decided to go with whatever they are going with. C'est la vie. Pretending that FD made a mistake and will change hearts if only we scream loud enough so they become aware of us is a bit naive. But we all cope differently I guess.
They did with fleet carriers, sometimes increasing the common sense volume button does work.

After letting my disappointment sink in, cooling off, and reflecting a bit other the last day, here are my thoughts:
  • VR in Elite Dangerous is very important to me. I'm still very disappointed it won't be available in Odyssey at launch. Elite Dangerous was always a VR game, and now suddenly it isn't anymore. Knocked the wind out of my sails after the excitement of seeing the new trailer. Elite Dangerous without VR is just not as appealing or immersive, and ED as an FPS without VR seems like nothing new.
  • If (and hopefully when) VR support is added to Odyssey, I would definitely want them to do it right, and build proper interface and controls, accessibility (I'm a lefty), etc.
  • I can totally understand if FDev does want to support VR, but couldn't delay the launch of the DLC to accommodate that development because of time and resource constraints.
  • I'm OK waiting a little longer to get proper, great VR support. I'm not OK buying the DLC and then hoping they do decide to add it at some point. (PSVR, anyone?)
  • I'd like to hear from FDev that they will commit to bringing VR support to Odyssey post-launch, even if they can't commit to a date for delivering it. (Not a demand, I'm just hoping they will)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom