ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The bottom part is pretty much what we've said. We're not saying it's never coming, just that it's not being worked on at the moment and there are no immediate plans to.
I'd like the community to know 3 things related to this

1: When was the decision made to put a seemingly indefinite hold on future VR development
2: Why the decision was made
3: Why we were only told during the livestream yesterday

You don’t necessarily have to make promises, just use plain common English instead of legal speak.
I wonder if that's true - I suspect legally they have to be careful too. Without reading between any lines, the message was "we aren't developing VR any further". Beyond that it's conjecture and waiting. That wasn't legal speak, was it?

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Dear Zac

That particular statement holds as much information as "There might come a day, where we finally get flying cars".

Remember the new communication policy about being more honest. There are many ways of not being honest. That's why it's called "The truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but", and that includes vaporware.

I understand that it might not be what you want to hear, but it is definitely the truth. I can't give you a definitive answer if VR will be developed further on or not, because that is the answer. At the moment it's not planned. It may be in the future. It may not. Not everything is set in stone.

No. He clearly said there are no plans currently and it's not on the roadmap. Might change in the future, but don't count on it.
You see, I read tha
No. He clearly said there are no plans currently and it's not on the roadmap. Might change in the future, but don't count on it.
Except he didn't say that. That's your interpretation of what he said. I still find it vague. We need direct language.

As we've said - we will be talking about upcoming features etc. That's going to be a part of the monthly streams with the development team and Supercruise News when appropriate.
Monthly streams are a great improvement and certainly welcome. I think what Ratcatcher was saying (and my apologies RC if not) is that in terms of calming the baying masses, it would be productive to outline the short, medium, and long term plans for ED so that the community has a flavour of where things are going, rather than a drip, drip approach of monthly updates, welcome though they are.
The forums are passionate people, many of us have played ED since its inception, and we have a lot of emotional energy invested. A rough guide of where Frontier see the game developing would be really welcome, and a failure to do so could be construed by those less charitable to be evidence that Frontier does not have a carefully thought out short/medium/long term roadmap

As we've said - we will be talking about upcoming features etc. That's going to be a part of the monthly streams with the development team and Supercruise News when appropriate.
Hi Zac.

Good things first, thanks for the change in communication from the last two SuperCruise streams, that was refreshing and needed.

But don't you think especially the VR thing got handled very wrong again? First we were asked in the first Supercruise to collect issues (we have), that there will be a CM created VR response thread (there wasn't) and that VR will be a topic in the next stream.
And then in the next stream you just come about "Yeah, we have no plans to extend VR beyond what you see now", later when pressed the CMs backed out a bit with "no immediate plans". You could have said so honestly in the first stream.

I think it's not only the quantity of information that matters it's the quality.

Keep it up otherwise and o7

I understand that it might not be what you want to hear, but it is definitely the truth. I can't give you a definitive answer if VR will be developed further on or not, because that is the answer. At the moment it's not planned. It may be in the future. It may not. Not everything is set in stone.
The only constant is change.

Keep up the good work! You guys have delivered the near impossible through COVID and all.

:D S

My post crossed paths with Zac.

Thanks Zac. That is the direct answer I was looking for.

(although obviously not the one I was hoping for)

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Monthly streams are a great improvement and certainly welcome. I think what Ratcatcher was saying (and my apologies RC if not) is that in terms of calming the baying masses, it would be productive to outline the short, medium, and long term plans for ED so that the community has a flavour of where things are going, rather than a drip, drip approach of monthly updates, welcome though they are.
The forums are passionate people, many of us have played ED since its inception, and we have a lot of emotional energy invested. A rough guide of where Frontier see the game developing would be really welcome, and a failure to do so could be construed by those less charitable to be evidence that Frontier does not have a carefully thought out short/medium/long term roadmap

Yeah that's fair feedback. There's no way for me to say this without it being a 'typical cliché' response but those things are moving behind the scenes in terms of sharing longer term plans - but they're not quite ready to share at the moment. Again, as soon as we can, we will.

No idea, I’m not a lawyer, but I do think that if Frontier concentrated its efforts less on managing our expectations and more on their internal project management they might be more likely to state a future intention and then back it up. They may even become a well respected company in the games industry.

The bottom part is pretty much what we've said. We're not saying it's never coming, just that it's not being worked on at the moment and there are no immediate plans to.

Thank you so much Zach, that's what we needed to hear mate. Much appreciated!!!

So are you saying that there are longer term plans to revisit VR? It's on the current roadmap but further down the list?

The denial is strong in this one... Let me give an example of the ambigious speak being repeated. And mind you this is just an example, I know that they couldn't get it to work on PSVR. But it shows what corporate "when I get around to it" is worth.

I'll just leave it here, with source:

communication_example.png

Deleted member 110222

D
Do you not think it is wise that your company removes the "VR supported" tag as listed on the Steam page here, to prevent confusion from people who go on to buy Odyssey and find that VR support there is not the same as the base game.

It's an unusual shift in what systems a game supports after getting an expansion and I would have thought you could make this clearer. Honestly, I think it'll save your support some headaches.

So are you saying that there are longer term plans to revisit VR? It's on the current roadmap but further down the list?
No, this is what he is saying:

1) Currently not a single dev is working on it. None. Not a soul.
2) There are currently no plans whatsoever to have at least one dev work on it. No plans at all. None. Zilch.
3) They haven't definitively decided to absolutely never ever do it at all, so maybe it one day may be a thing they decide to work on. Could be next year. Ten years from now. Or, of course, never at all.

Maybe they'll decide to work on ship interiors. Maybe ELWs. Maybe VR. Maybe none of the above. The future is unclear and its hard to make definitive statements beyond that they currently have nobody working on it and dont plan on anybody working on it.

The denial is strong in this one... Let me give an example of the ambigious speak being repeated. And mind you this is just an example, I know that they couldn't get it to work on PSVR. But it shows what corporate "when I get around to it" is worth.

I'll just leave it here, with source:

View attachment 240808

Zac didn't write that, in fact I doubt anybody that did are involved.

@Zac Cocken - me again ;)

Thanks for the response to my comment - just permit me to throw another in, please.

(background, I'm able to play, and enjoy, Odyssey on my reasonably powerful PC - so am having a ball, thanks!)

When Odyssey was talked about I was under the impression that it would be 'feature complete' at launch (bar VR - but that is a different dog) but from comments made on the streams it appears there is further content and features that will be coming 'later' - at the console realease, possibly?

Did I misunderstand the description of the product I bought (on 2 PCs) and it wasn't planned to be a single DLC, but would have additional 'features' tacked on over time?

Thanks. (y)

You see, I read tha

Except he didn't say that. That's your interpretation of what he said. I still find it vague. We need direct language.
In the stream Arthur literally said there is nobody working on it, there are no plans, they are working on a pile of other stuff and MAYBE they might one day potentially decide to put it back in their plans. Right now it is not. Its a NO. As in "negative, sir.". As in "no way Jose!".

But is it the whole truth? There is also a reason why terms like "unlikely" are used.

Don't get me wrong. I love ED, and I have played the game for 2000+ hours in VR. I even play Odyssey in VR, and enjoy that to a certain degree. I just can't find any optimism towards the future of VR in ED interpreting the latest statements. That is definitely not what I want to hear, but it's not for me to decide, only accept. Life is like a box of chocolate, you know :alien:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom